Start by marking “Readings for Meditation and Reflection” as Want to Read:
Readings for Meditation and Reflection

Readings for Meditation and Reflection

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  234 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Extolled for decades as one of the most influential Christians of his day, C. S. Lewis has stirred millions of readers through his probing insights, passionate arguments, and provocative questions about God, love, life, and death. C. S. Lewis: Readings for Meditation and Reflection gathers daily readings from his most famous published works—The Screwtape Letters, Mere Chri ...more
Published January 5th 1996 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Readings for Meditation and Reflection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Readings for Meditation and Reflection

Kari Trumbo
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was like water for my soul. As I read it, I wanted more and more. This book takes themes from many of Lewis' books and gives a small taste of what he had to say. I now want to read much more.
Lotte
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite collection of C. S. Lewis. I have read it several times. All but scripture to me . . .
Jaclyn
Aug 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
i especially like the excerpts from Mere Christianity.
Janie
Jun 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
this book is a compilation of lewis' books and correspondences - in morsels. i've always been intrigued by lewis since the beginning of my bibliophile days, way back when narnia was a subjective visual experience, lest you saw the bbc version on public stations or rented vhs tapes, then the b-rate stuffy brown cat suit, they dare to call aslan and whiny buckedtooth lucy was the only exposure one may have had to experience this wonderful author. and that, would be a great injustice to this creati ...more
Rachel Dawson
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-radreads, faith
It's no secret I love C.S. Lewis. I grabbed this one to get to the free shipping amount on Amazon (no shame) but it didn't blow me away, considering how it was all excerpts from other books he's written. I always think I'm going to like books like this, and I do in the sense that it's quick and easy to read a chunk over breakfast or on the go, but I really just love getting into the full books instead and getting the complete context. If you want a taste of Lewis and his writings broken down mor ...more
Tim Baumgartner
This book reminds me of a fruit salad--my taste buds are enhanced through the variety of fruit that is included. C.S. Lewis' "Readings for Meditation and Reflection" is just that in literary form--a collection of the highlights of his major works. They are all in 'bite-sized' form and can be read daily as a devotional to activate the title. This book includes excerpts from Mere Christianity, The Problem of Pain, Miracles, The Screwtape Letters, The Four Loves, The Great Divorce, Letters to Malco ...more
Becky
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
So far this book is really great. It just gives small passages from CS Lewis' works. It is a nice way to hear about Christianity. He has a really great way of getting a point across simply and poignantly. I would highly recommend it. Not hard to get through. A pretty quick read. I already feel like I want/should read it again and highlight.

I think I will be reading this again. I still think about some passages after the fact. I think that's a good sign.
Pat
Oct 03, 2009 marked it as part-read-on-hold
Shelves: theology
I hold dual citizenship in Narnia. Another anthology. I haven't touched these books for a long time. Reading CSL introduced me to lots of beautiful ideas and works and hard questions. Most of all to the possibility that I was wrong about God. I'll read this stuff again one day, after some distance and learning.
Summer
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It's little snippets of thought from C.S. Lewis other works. After reading each one I had to smile and let all the great points seep into my pores. Would recommend it to any Christian. :) It was a joy to read. This was one wise man.
Mark Nenadov
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable read. It's basically a collection of short excerpted essays from a pretty good cross-section of Lewis' work. Apart from actually having to read the 13 or so books represented here, this is probably a good way to benefit from (and get the basic drift of) the thought of C.S. Lewis.
Lindsay
Oct 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Not my cup of tea.
Kelli
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Amazing words CS Lewis has. Reading this while I am at camp for the summer. The Truth leaks into Lewis' writing. Its a great devotional to have. Anything by him is.
Amy
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Inspirational and thoughtful reflections! Great way to begin or end your day.
Rachel Gregory
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
C.S. Lewis is absolutely brilliant!
Jim
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Cut me a break!
Larissa
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend it!
Emma
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Pretty good but just excerpts from other of Lewis' books.
Jane
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Trying to read just one or two each night to make it last, but the selections are too compelling . . .
Julie Reed
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book compiles some of the greatest musings of C.S. Lewis. If you are a spiritual person like me, you will like it. He's deep and challenging and he always grows my brain. :)
Wdmoor
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful way to start your day with a cup of tea or coffee
Paul Carr
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good compilation of about 100 excerpts from C.S. Lewis' top books. Most entries are a page or two long, but still packed with Lewis' usual profound insight. Perfect for daily use.
Jeff Miller
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A "greatest hits" of some of Lewis' most profound thoughts put together topically in bite-sized one-to-two paged chunks. Highly recommended.
Debby Kean
Oct 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've just finished reading this for the 3rd time. It's extremely valuable for reminding me of things I ought to know, and letting me see others clearly and from a new point of view.
Betty LaVelle
Jul 10, 2012
Paul Vittay
Dec 17, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Catholic and Christian: An Explanation of Commonly Misunderstood Catholic Beliefs
  • The World According to Narnia: Christian Meaning in C. S. Lewis's Beloved Chronicles
  • Understanding Bible Prophecy for Yourself
  • What's So Amazing About Grace? Study Guide
  • The Case for Grace: A Journalist Explores the Evidence of Transformed Lives
  • The Practice of God's Presence
  • Praying the Psalms

CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature
More about C.S. Lewis

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Out of Africa and Shadows on the Grass
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The War That Ended Peace: The Road to 1914
    $6.99 $2.99
“The most blessed result of prayer would be to rise thinking "But I never knew before. I never dreamed...." I suppose it was at such a moment that Thomas Aquinas said of all his own theology, "It reminds me of straw.” 6 likes