Start by marking “Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5)” as Want to Read:
Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5)

Age of Death

(The Legends of the First Empire #5)

Winter blankets the land, and more than just hope has died. Prevented from invading the Fhrey homeland by the tower of Avempartha, the western army seeks a way across the Nidwalden River before the fane obtains the secret of dragons. As time runs out for both humanity and the mystic Suri, the only chance for the living rests with the dead. Having made their fateful choice, ...more
Published February 4th 2020 by Riyria Enterprises LLC

To ask other readers questions about Age of Death, please sign up.
Michael So, Kickstarter backers (3,300+ people) received the ebook of Age of Death a few days ago. If you missed the Kickstarter, you can get a "manual" add…moreSo, Kickstarter backers (3,300+ people) received the ebook of Age of Death a few days ago. If you missed the Kickstarter, you can get a "manual" add by using this link Once you are added, you'll be able to read the book immediately.

NOTE: Another way to get the book early is by using the BackerKit pre-order store. here is a link for it as well.(less)

Start your review of Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5)
Michael
Mar 28, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I don't review my own books, but I do use this space to update readers. So here goes...

02/04/20 - And the book is live. A big thanks to all the people who pre-ordered. You should have your ebooks and audiobooks on your devices!

12/20/19> - Hardcovers are coming off the presses on Dec 30!! Signed early pre-orders (bought directly from us) will ship January 6th. Click here to pre-order a copy

10/19/19 - We are back from New York (we were there for the start of the recording of the audiobook. We
TS Chan
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Age of Death took an astounding turn in the direction of the overall story, and it was brilliant!

This book is aptly titled as it would be the death of me. We have yet another cliffhanger ending as the second arc of The Legends of the First Empire series is shaping up to be one continuous story. It was excruciating to say the least, but I can empathise with Sullivan in struggling to find a suitable point to break off for each volume, short of releasing it as a single doorstopper.  A single volume
Audrey
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beta read went through it rather quickly
Gamma read very few changes I think some of the chapter titles changed, but Ill have to compare the two versions to be sure.
------------------------------

This book felt so short, yet its over 400 pages. The book starts off with Brin, thankfully, right where the previous book ended. This book also has a cliffhanger, but I dont think its quite as agonizing as Age of Legend.

About half the book follows the seven as they explore and fight through
Robin (Bridge Four)
4.5 Death is Just a Door Stars

Age of Death is the fifth book in the Legends of the First Empire series where Michael J. Sullivan (MJS) takes all of the history we learned in the Riyria books and turns it on its head to give us the true story, before years of retellings, exaggerations, forgotten details and twistings happen.

World of note to the reader. Since Ive read many MJS books, I like to point out that while most of his stories are self-contained with solid end points Age of Legend, Death
Claudia
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
WTH was that ending?! I was warned it will end in a cliffhanger, but I expected a milder one, like in the previous volume, not like this! Damn! Well, at least I should be happy that with Kickstarter Ill get to read the final volume in February, not May.

Anyway, despite the vexing ending, I very much enjoyed the book. It picks up the story from the previous volume but now its focus is on the fellowship (view spoiler). Their path takes them inside Elan, in the
Terence
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
With Suri in the hands of Fane Lothian, Nyphron is convinced he no longer has a chance of winning the war. Persephone finds herself alone. Her brave friends who went to save Suri are dead, but Malcolm tells her that there's still a chance they could return. The group who willingly entered the land of the dead are the Rhunes only hope.

Age of Death like Age of Legend ended in a cliff hanger. At least I know I won't have to wait too long for the last book of the series, but I really wish the story
Andreas
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
But... but... you can't end a book like that. Other than the cliffhanger ending this book mostly felt like filler. Although we got to know more of the history of the world, and I always like that sort of thing.

(Quick disclaimer: the version I read was only 349 pages, not 420 like it says here on Goodreads)

Maja Ingrid
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
description

Send help for I am not okay thAT IS NOT HOW CLIFFHANGERS WORK GODAMIT MICHAEL IT'S PURE CRUELTY THAT'S WHAT IT IS

While it certainly feels like a middle book it's still a real good read. Also I expect a big bang in Age of Empyre aND I'M READY FOR IT

Also a reminder that Suri is the Preciousest of Precious and I love her.

If you came here expecting a proper review, you have came to the wrong place.

(view spoiler)
Donna
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Well, I don't know what is wrong. I LOVE the writing of Michael J Sullivan. And I have enjoyed so many of his books. So it is surprising that I'm not feeling it with the latter half of this series. I did like this one better than the last one so that is a positive, but I feel like I'm in mourning because there is a huge hole (whether it is in my heart or in the story is my main question.)

It just feels slow and wordy. For me, it feels like he wrote a trilogy but the last book was a little too
Minx
Every book, so far, in The Legends of the First Empire series is always my favorite by the time I am done with it and yet again the most recent serial installment knocked the previous book out of my top favorite. Age of Death was a spectacular story that grabbed my complete and total attention from the very start. I can only imagine after reading this book what is going to be in store for readers in the final installment of this series and all I can say is to bring it on. I am ready and I can ...more
Samir
Oct 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating 3.5 stars.
Narilka
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars

The good news is that death is not the end, but that is also the bad news.
-The Book of Brin

Age of Death picks up exactly where the cliffhanger ending of the previous book leaves off. It makes for an intense start to the book that unfortunately slows back down as the story splits to follow both events in the underworld and how things are going in the regular world.

This is a solid middle book where some forward plot progression is made, albeit at a slow pace. It also wraps up in
Tammie
Winter blankets the land, and more than hope has died. Barred by the tower of Avempartha, the western army cannot invade the Fhrey homeland. So it must seek a way across the Nidwalden River before the fane obtains the secret of dragons. As time runs out for both humanity and the mystic Suri, the only chance for the living rests with the dead. Having made their fateful choice, can a handful of misfits do the impossible, or are they forever lost to an inescapable grave?

The last book in this
Kinga
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I mean, how hard would it be to execute someone that you actually know?

Ha. Haha. Hahahaha. Someone send help.

If I have to summarize this book in a few words, I would have to say that we have some incredibly beloved characters who are as far from a safe life as you can imagine and then some. Oh, theyre dead already? Then at least theyll find some peace surely or so would you think!

Needless to say I was on edge from page one. We did get a fair warning that Age of Legend and Age of Death will
Wick Welker
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A worthy continuation of an incredible fantasy series finally succumbs to middle-book syndrome yet keeps me excited for the final installment.

Let me make something clear. Michael J. Sullivan is awesome. I have happily funded his Kickstarter for both Age of Death and Age of Empyre and it is a privilege to help out in the writing of such great fantasy. There are classic fantasy tropes here with a very lovable cast of mostly heroines full of decent world building, mystery and character development.
Zoe Artemis Spencer Reid
"The good news is that death is not the end, but that is also the bad news."

That. was. INCREDIBLE. The expansive world building was splendid and intriguing. I found the revelation of the legend, lore and gods to be very interesting. Their quest through the world of the after life and self discovery was thrilling and gripping. Could this people be more awesome? Turns out they can. High hope for the epic ending in the final installment.

"All too often, that which we are most certain of is that
Milou
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I very much enjoyed this book. It picks up right after the fourth book ends with our fellowship entering the afterlife. I loved this addition to the world, and the fact we get to see some old loves again, as well as hang out with a bunch of legendary characters.

I flew through the first 40% or so of this book. the chapters where we see Suri were great, though Persephone's presence is sadly lacking (though I'm sure we will get to see lots of her in book 6 again). We mainly follow our group in the
Stephen Richter
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Out of the Frying Pan and into the fire sums up this book. Very low keyed as most of my beloved characters move in the underworld in search of a door to help Suri. Narrated by the great Tim Gerard Reynolds who makes it easy to listen to this for hours and hours. One more book then await the next series by one of my read everything author.
Scott  Hitchcock
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book 1: 5*
Book 2: 3.5*
Book 3: 4.5*
Book 4: 3*
Book 5: 4*

Round up to a 4*. I'm hoping the last book brings this all together like the last book of Revelations did. This series would have been better as a trilogy where books 2 and 4 lose a lot of their content and get combined into the others. Then book 5 although a great cliff hanger could have easily have rolled into a conclusion to keep the momentum going. I have a feeling book 6 will start priming again before we get to the action.
MadProfessah
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-read
Age of Death is The fifth and final cliffhanger in the Legends of the First Empire series by Michael J. Sullivan. The idea that most of the characters in this installment spend their time behind the vale of death is pretty cool. It turns out that in this story what happens after you die is far more complicated (and interesting) than the traditional notions of the afterlife most readers may be familiar with. Going in, all we know is that many of the most prominent couples in the last few books, ...more
Dan Secor
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
It pains me to give such a low rating to a book written by my favorite contemporary author, but this book left me feeling flat. Its not because of the cliffhanger ending (I expected that), but mostly because I felt the pacing was off, and some of the character interactions felt a little more forced than usual.

Apart from that, the overall writing was top-notch as usual, and for once I was more captivated by the the side story than the main Dante-like one.

I strongly suspect that the conclusion of
Tim Hayes
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best yet.
Emily
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Age of Death by Michael J Sullivan
****4****

In all honesty, this is probably my least favorite of the series so far. It doesn't feel like a whole lot actually happens. There are definitely a few key moments that drive the plot forward but it feels a bit more like filler spattered with revelations, albeit some rather large ones.

All that being said, MJS is a phenomenal writer and story teller, so even though I didn't feel like a lot happened, I still enjoyed the book and being back in the comfort
Mitchell
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Despite only giving this three stars, I'm continuing to enjoy this series, though I'm not loving the latter half as much as I liked the first half. This one nearly ebbed out a higher rating, but by the end I found myself more frustrated than satisfied.

Let's start with the elephant in the room: the cliffhangers. Michael J. Sullivan is obviously very concerned with how people are going to take these, as it gets brought up not only in the foreword but in the afterword, and Sullivan is quick to
Flying Monkey
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, audible
4 Stars!

Age of Death (Book 5 in The Legends of the First Empire) answers many questions previously left unanswered in this series and the previous one. I thoroughly enjoyed the writing, character development, and world-buildinga great fifth novel with another cliffhanger ending. Fortunately, I can start the final book, Age of Empyre, tonight.
Elise
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leaving off of the last book, our heroes now find themselves in the underworld, mingling with gods, and facing a new battle. I don't know that this book quite lived up to my expectations. It kind of dragged and the underworld wasn't as exciting or interesting as I expected it to be. Basically it felt like a big sidetracked unwarranted roadblock. Despite that, it also seemed like the story was over quick. But it added quite a bit to the lore and answered some questions. I really liked that the ...more
Sydneroo
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, fantasy
Rating: 8.57 / 10.00 | 🌕🌕🌕🌕🌗

Michael J Sullivans writing is so good! He knows how to create fun worlds with amazing characters. I really like this unique take on the underworld/afterlife/gods. I cant wait to get my hands on the last book.
Maybee15
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
This war wont be won or lost by birds or dragons, nor by greed or hate, but by the courage and virtue of an unlikely few who will forfeit everything to save the future. Thats how it works, you know? The proud, the greedy, the vengeful are never the ones to change the worldnot for the better."

Age Of Death, This book bounced back very strong and did not guess it follows the title to the point. The content flow deviated from its previous instalments. But, i welcomed those deviations, because the
Sabrina
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While the first three books of the The Legends of the First Empire series were outstanding, this fifth instalment continues to be mediocre at best. Short (approx. 300 pages), filled with pointless (and boring) battle scenes because (view spoiler) as well as another cliff-hanger at the end. Honestly?

I have to confess; Ive never been a fan of walking in the realms of the dead it just seems too fantastical to me. (Yeah, I know!)
Megan
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am so utterly in love with each and every one of these characters. I am genuinely invested in their lives and I am so worried/excited for whatever comes next.

I'm a huge fan of mythological and fantasy ideas about the afterlife so this book was absolutely up my street and had everything I wanted.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Age of Death [July 11, 2020] 21 33 Jul 24, 2020 05:49PM
Legends of the Fi...: Age of Death 5 46 May 19, 2020 07:39AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Sullivan - Age of Death [Feb 11, 2020] 27 35 Feb 24, 2020 03:53AM

• The Black Song (Raven's Blade, #2)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3)
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
  • The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness, #2)
  • The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice, #1)
  • An Echo of Things to Come (The Licanius Trilogy, #2)
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • A Time of Blood (Of Blood and Bone, #2)
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • Ashes of the Sun (Burningblade & Silvereye, #1)
  • What Lies Beyond (The Cycle of Galand Book 6)
  • Shorefall (Founders, #2)
  • Wintersteel (Cradle, #8)
  • The Shadow of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy, #1)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine #2)
A large shipment of "hurt books" are taking up room in my garage. So I'm having a 50% off sale!

What's a "hurt book"? It's a new copy that wasn't sold in a bookstore, so it was returned to the warehouse. Because it has "traveled a lot," there might be some minor exterior imperfections. You can "shop the sale" by clicking on the graphic above.

Slipcase orders are shipping! We sold out our first

The Legends of the First Empire (6 books)
  • Age of Myth (The Legends of the First Empire, #1)
  • Age of Swords (The Legends of the First Empire, #2)
  • Age of War (The Legends of the First Empire, #3)
  • Age of Legend (The Legends of the First Empire, #4)
  • Age of Empyre (The Legends of the First Empire, #6)

Articles featuring this book

The start of 2020 has already delivered new books from some of the biggest names in science fiction and fantasy, from William Gibson and Mike...
“Education is never without cost; all the truly valuable lessons leave a scar.” 2 likes
“A fault is only leveled when something bad happens. Success is free of such a burden.” 1 likes