Start by marking “Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5)” as Want to Read:
Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5)

Age of Death

(The Legends of the First Empire #5)

Winter blankets the land, and more than just hope has died. Prevented from invading the Fhrey homeland by the tower of Avempartha, the western army seeks a way across the Nidwalden River before the fane obtains the secret of dragons. As time runs out for both humanity and the mystic Suri, the only chance for the living rests with the dead. Having made their fateful choice, ...more
Published February 4th 2020 by Riyria Enterprises LLC

To ask other readers questions about Age of Death, please sign up.
Michael So, Kickstarter backers (3,300+ people) received the ebook of Age of Death a few days ago. If you missed the Kickstarter, you can get a "manual" add b…moreSo, Kickstarter backers (3,300+ people) received the ebook of Age of Death a few days ago. If you missed the Kickstarter, you can get a "manual" add by using this link Once you are added, you'll be able to read the book immediately.

NOTE: Another way to get the book early is by using the BackerKit pre-order store. here is a link for it as well.(less)
Michael The Kickstarter will from noon (EDT) 8/22/19 to 7:00 PM (EDT) 9/10/19. Here is a link to the Kickstarter

Start your review of Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5)
Michael
Mar 28, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I don't review my own books, but I do use this space to update readers. So here goes...

02/04/20 - And the book is live. A big thanks to all the people who pre-ordered. You should have your ebooks and audiobooks on your devices!

12/20/19> - Hardcovers are coming off the presses on Dec 30!! Signed early pre-orders (bought directly from us) will ship January 6th. Click here to pre-order a copy

10/19/19 - We are back from New York (we were there for the start of the recording of the audiobook. We
TS Chan
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Age of Death took an astounding turn in the direction of the overall story, and it was brilliant!

This book is aptly titled as it would be the death of me. We have yet another cliffhanger ending as the second arc of The Legends of the First Empire series is shaping up to be one continuous story. It was excruciating to say the least, but I can empathise with Sullivan in struggling to find a suitable point to break off for each volume, short of releasing it as a single doorstopper.  A single volume
Audrey
Beta read – went through it rather quickly
Gamma read – very few changes – I think some of the chapter titles changed, but I’ll have to compare the two versions to be sure.
–------------------------------

This book felt so short, yet it’s over 400 pages. The book starts off with Brin, thankfully, right where the previous book ended. This book also has a cliffhanger, but I don’t think it’s quite as agonizing as Age of Legend.

About half the book follows “the seven” as they explore and fight
Anna *Bran. San. Stan*
Holy shit, this series is so good.

This installment picks up where we left off in Age of Legend (# 4): a few of our character are now trying to make their way through the underworld – and it is an unexpectedly painful, perilous journey which provides some serious heart-ache for characters and readers alike. What I particularly enjoyed amidst the hardship was meeting some “dead” characters, both legends long gone and people we’ve seen die in the course of this series.

Also, I found the concept of
Deborah Obida
Jul 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, fantasy
Age of Death is the 5th book in the Legend of the First Empire six book series, and just like it’s predecessor it ended in a cliffhanger, not cool. This book features great friendship, action scenes and lots of admirable characters. There are some revelations here about Malcolm which is mind blowing, I knew he wasn’t human but I so was not expecting that.

“A closed mind is like a door that can’t be opened—it might as well be a wall.”

Ninety percent of the events in this book took place in Rel
Robin (Bridge Four)
4.5 Death is Just a Door Stars

Age of Death is the fifth book in the Legends of the First Empire series where Michael J. Sullivan (MJS) takes all of the history we learned in the Riyria books and turns it on its head to give us the true story, before years of retellings, exaggerations, forgotten details and twistings happen.

World of note to the reader. Since I’ve read many MJS books, I like to point out that while most of his stories are self-contained with solid end points Age of Legend, Death
Claudia
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
WTH was that ending?! I was warned it will end in a cliffhanger, but I expected a milder one, like in the previous volume, not like this! Damn! Well, at least I should be happy that with Kickstarter I’ll get to read the final volume in February, not May.

Anyway, despite the vexing ending, I very much enjoyed the book. It picks up the story from the previous volume but now its focus is on the fellowship (view spoiler). Their path takes them inside Elan, in the r
Terence
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
With Suri in the hands of Fane Lothian, Nyphron is convinced he no longer has a chance of winning the war. Persephone finds herself alone. Her brave friends who went to save Suri are dead, but Malcolm tells her that there's still a chance they could return. The group who willingly entered the land of the dead are the Rhunes only hope.

Age of Death like Age of Legend ended in a cliff hanger. At least I know I won't have to wait too long for the last book of the series, but I really wish the story
Maja Ingrid
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
description

Send help for I am not okay thAT IS NOT HOW CLIFFHANGERS WORK GODAMIT MICHAEL IT'S PURE CRUELTY THAT'S WHAT IT IS

While it certainly feels like a middle book it's still a real good read. Also I expect a big bang in Age of Empyre aND I'M READY FOR IT

Also a reminder that Suri is the Preciousest of Precious and I love her.

If you came here expecting a proper review, you have came to the wrong place.

(view spoiler)
Andreas
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
But... but... you can't end a book like that. Other than the cliffhanger ending this book mostly felt like filler. Although we got to know more of the history of the world, and I always like that sort of thing.

(Quick disclaimer: the version I read was only 349 pages, not 420 like it says here on Goodreads)

Donna
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Well, I don't know what is wrong. I LOVE the writing of Michael J Sullivan. And I have enjoyed so many of his books. So it is surprising that I'm not feeling it with the latter half of this series. I did like this one better than the last one so that is a positive, but I feel like I'm in mourning because there is a huge hole (whether it is in my heart or in the story is my main question.)

It just feels slow and wordy. For me, it feels like he wrote a trilogy but the last book was a little too lon
Nena
Apr 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
You will see his love of the Wizard of Oz throughout this one. Loved it.
Jody
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars ****
Samir
Oct 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating 3.5 stars.
Robert
Oct 01, 2022 rated it really liked it
Wowza, if the series started as a "grounded" take on the Epic Fantasy genre this penultimate book of the series showcases how far it has come as Sullivan busts out some Big Dante Energy by taking the majority of our Main Cast literally down into the underworld of Purgatory and Hell, em sorry, Rel and Nifrel on a bonkers quest to rescue Suri from the Fhrey and, hopefully, save the world and so on. No big deal.

Nifrel. Nice place to visit but wouldn't want to spend eternity there.

Meanwhile in the l
Minx
Every book, so far, in The Legends of the First Empire series is always my favorite by the time I am done with it and yet again the most recent serial installment knocked the previous book out of my top favorite. Age of Death was a spectacular story that grabbed my complete and total attention from the very start. I can only imagine after reading this book what is going to be in store for readers in the final installment of this series and all I can say is to bring it on. I am ready and I can ha ...more
Tammie
Winter blankets the land, and more than hope has died. Barred by the tower of Avempartha, the western army cannot invade the Fhrey homeland. So it must seek a way across the Nidwalden River before the fane obtains the secret of dragons. As time runs out for both humanity and the mystic Suri, the only chance for the living rests with the dead. Having made their fateful choice, can a handful of misfits do the impossible, or are they forever lost to an inescapable grave?

The last book in this seri
Scott
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I have read every novel and short story that Sullivan has ever published and consider him to be one of the preeminent writers on the planet today and this was the first time I've ever counted the pages to find out how much longer the books was, it was the first time ever I had to force myself to pick the book up and continue reading.

The world building was fine, the characters were fine ~ my issue had to do with the lack of story/plot. It felt like 400 pages of filler. Everything that happened in
Narilka
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars

The good news is that death is not the end, but that is also the bad news.
-The Book of Brin

Age of Death picks up exactly where the cliffhanger ending of the previous book leaves off. It makes for an intense start to the book that unfortunately slows back down as the story splits to follow both events in the underworld and how things are going in the regular world.

This is a solid middle book where some forward plot progression is made, albeit at a slow pace. It also wraps up in
Kitty G Books
Mar 23, 2021 rated it liked it
Probably my least favourite of the series (as it goes on a tangent through the afterworld/death), but, it's still got good solid moments. I like that we're learning a whole lot of backstory to the world in this, even though I also wanted to find out where the main plot was going and see what happens there. There's a lot of characters we've enjoyed over the series involved in the afterworld plot, but I found it was a little bit padded for what I wanted, and some of it could have been better trimm ...more
Kinga
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
“I mean, how hard would it be to execute someone that you actually know?”

Ha. Haha. Hahahaha. Someone send help.

If I have to summarize this book in a few words, I would have to say that we have some incredibly beloved characters who are as far from a safe life as you can imagine – and then some. Oh, they’re dead already? Then at least they’ll find some peace surely – or so would you think!

Needless to say I was on edge from page one. We did get a fair warning that Age of Legend and Age of Dea
Wick Welker
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A worthy continuation of an incredible fantasy series finally succumbs to middle-book syndrome yet keeps me excited for the final installment.

Let me make something clear. Michael J. Sullivan is awesome. I have happily funded his Kickstarter for both Age of Death and Age of Empyre and it is a privilege to help out in the writing of such great fantasy. There are classic fantasy tropes here with a very lovable cast of mostly heroines full of decent world building, mystery and character development.
Emma
Jun 18, 2022 rated it liked it
This did not sustain my interest and enjoyment as the rest of the series has. #notfeelingit
Wayne
Oct 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Loved it
5 Stars

Fantastic world building and really transported you to these places and worlds.
So vivid and just fit the story and characters so perfectly.

Fantastic characterisations as always and even though there's so many characters they are all intertwined and interlinked. All of them are just brilliant but Brin again stands out and really shines in this one. Gifford too has an interesting character role in this one too.

A brilliant plot that is taking all those interwoven threads and is start
Zoe Artemis Spencer Reid
"The good news is that death is not the end, but that is also the bad news."

That. was. INCREDIBLE. The expansive world building was splendid and intriguing. I found the revelation of the legend, lore and gods to be very interesting. Their quest through the world of the after life and self discovery was thrilling and gripping. Could this people be more awesome? Turns out they can. High hope for the epic ending in the final installment.

"All too often, that which we are most certain of is th
Milou
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I very much enjoyed this book. It picks up right after the fourth book ends with our fellowship entering the afterlife. I loved this addition to the world, and the fact we get to see some old loves again, as well as hang out with a bunch of legendary characters.

I flew through the first 40% or so of this book. the chapters where we see Suri were great, though Persephone's presence is sadly lacking (though I'm sure we will get to see lots of her in book 6 again). We mainly follow our group in the
Stephen Richter
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Out of the Frying Pan and into the fire sums up this book. Very low keyed as most of my beloved characters move in the underworld in search of a door to help Suri. Narrated by the great Tim Gerard Reynolds who makes it easy to listen to this for hours and hours. One more book then await the next series by one of my read everything author.
Mitchell
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Despite only giving this three stars, I'm continuing to enjoy this series, though I'm not loving the latter half as much as I liked the first half. This one nearly ebbed out a higher rating, but by the end I found myself more frustrated than satisfied.

Let's start with the elephant in the room: the cliffhangers. Michael J. Sullivan is obviously very concerned with how people are going to take these, as it gets brought up not only in the foreword but in the afterword, and Sullivan is quick to just
Sabrina
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While the first three books of the The Legends of the First Empire series were outstanding, this fifth instalment continues to be mediocre at best. Short (approx. 300 pages), filled with pointless (and boring) battle scenes because (view spoiler) as well as another cliff-hanger at the end. Honestly?

I have to confess; I’ve never been a fan of walking in the realms of the dead – it just seems too fantastical to me. (Yeah, I know
Dan Secor
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
It pains me to give such a low rating to a book written by my favorite contemporary author, but this book left me feeling flat. It’s not because of the cliffhanger ending (I expected that), but mostly because I felt the pacing was off, and some of the character interactions felt a little more forced than usual.

Apart from that, the overall writing was top-notch as usual, and for once I was more captivated by the the side story than the main “Dante-like” one.

I strongly suspect that the conclusion

• A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • A Time of Blood (Of Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Hunger of the Gods (The Bloodsworn Saga, #2)
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
  • Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #2)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Emergency Skin
  • Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)
  • Demon's Fall
  • Bestial
  • the Key to everything
  • The Wisdom of Crowds (The Age of Madness, #3)
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • An Echo of Things to Come (The Licanius Trilogy, #2)
  • Cold Caller
See top shelves…
My latest book, Farilane is now available for ebook and audiobook formats - the printed copies came off the press on 7/25 and set sail for the US on 8/06. We expect to have them in 3 - 4 weeks. Also, it hit #1 on Amazon's Bestselling Epic Fantasy list!

Thanks for visiting my page! Here are other sites where you can contact me.

I'm a New York Times, USA Tod

The Legends of the First Empire (6 books)
  • Age of Myth (The Legends of the First Empire, #1)
  • Age of Swords (The Legends of the First Empire, #2)
  • Age of War (The Legends of the First Empire, #3)
  • Age of Legend (The Legends of the First Empire, #4)
  • Age of Empyre (The Legends of the First Empire, #6)

Articles featuring this book

The start of 2020 has already delivered new books from some of the biggest names in science fiction and fantasy, from William Gibson and Mike...
“Education is never without cost; all the truly valuable lessons leave a scar.” 2 likes
“A fault is only leveled when something bad happens. Success is free of such a burden.” 1 likes