Start by marking “Mischief and Manors” as Want to Read:
Mischief and Manors

Mischief and Manors

When Annette Downing and her mischievous little brothers are sent to Kellaway Manor for the summer, she hopes for a relaxing escape. But Annette finds her closeted heart in jeopardy when reunited with the handsome Owen Kellaway, a childhood acquaintance and respected gentlemen. When Owen is enlisted to help the boys with their behavior, Annette wonders if he has just as mu ...more
Published December 13th 2016 by Sweetwater Books (first published December 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Mischief and Manors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mischief and Manors

Start your review of Mischief and Manors
Katie W
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: regency
Annette has a big responsibility to raise her young brothers after her parents die. Full of mischief, as typical boys are, the trouble they constantly get into forces their aunt to send them friends of their deceased parents--five years later. Annette's reunion with their son, Owen, is quite humorous.

For as strong as both Annette and Owen are, they each have their flaws and insecurities. They each have issues from their pasts that they can't move beyond. Owen handles his in a teasing manor, whic
Melanie
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun read! Annette Downing and her two younger brothers are orphans being raised by an aunt who has lost all patience for them since the boys are a bit rowdy. She sends them to live with the Kellaway's, who were close friends of their parents, telling Annette that if the boys don't learn how to behave, they will be sent to an orphanage. Annette reunites with Owen Kellaway, who was a mischievous boy himself, and has to continually remind herself not to fall in love with him.

Annette is a
Kathy
Isn't the cover inviting??

This was my first book by Ms. Newbold, I was quickly sucked into the story and wanting to see how the character's stories would unfold. Annette and her two brothers have to live with her cruel aunt after her parents are killed in a tragic accident. The two boys are full of mischief and have pushed their aunt to the point she is sending them off for the summer. They have to learn manners, or else...

Overall, I thought this was a sweet regency with likable characters. A l
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I love a good regency romance and this one surely kept my interest and made me smile. This book felt a bit like a breath of fresh air as it was a bit different than the usual regency's I read.

Annette is a protector. Circumstances have led her to a most undesirable place with a vicious aunt and two young brothers to take care of. Annette has shored up the walls of her heart to survive except when it comes to her mischievous brothers who are her whole world. I loved watching Annette and her brothe
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
There are times you come across a book that just makes you smile. This is one of those books for me. I loved the humor and the precocious little boys. They are so full of mischief that I couldn't help but enjoy them!

This is a regency book that is more than a romance. It is about a young lady, Annette Downing, who has taken on the responsibility of her brothers. Five years ago they were orphaned and she promised to watch over and protect the little trouble makers. Her life revolves around her bro
Kelly
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LOVE LOVE LOVE this book!! It is on my favorites list now! I thought I would read a chapter or two before I went to bed and ended up reading it till the very end as who needed sleep while reading this!!?! I didn’t even highlight anything because I couldn’t stop to do it! The book had me spellbound! The writing is incredible. Every word made me feel as if I was Annette Downing and I found my heart hammering a few times with her. The scenes were so eloquent and descriptive that I could see every s ...more
Camille
Mischief and Manors was a sweet and funny story full of mischief, humor, sweetness, and love. Annette is an admirable and strong heroine, one who is fiercely loyal, compassionate, and protective of her younger brothers. Due to her past difficulties and the sacrifices she makes for others, she's built strong defenses around her heart in order to survive and help those she loves.

When Annette's circumstances take her to the home of her parents' friends, she encounters her childhood nemesis, Dr. Ow
Jane
Jan 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
It is pretty much the same story as Julianne Dondalson's Edenbrooke.
It is cute.
I liked it.
I like Edenbrooke better.
There were too many similarities that it felt plagiarized.
Bree Coleman
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book soooo much! I read it in like 2 days! I couldn't stop reading it! If you haven't read it yet you have to read it!
Jessica
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this clean, fun romance. It was refreshing to read a book with no sex or swearing. The characters were funny and I loved reading about the boys and all the mischief they get themselves into!

Annette and her little brothers are sent to live with their very prim and proper, mean and abusive aunt after the death of their parents. Annette made a promise to care for her brothers and she fully intends to keep that promise and protect them from their aunt's wrath. The boys are young tho
Chelan Hollingsworth
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I truly loved, loved, loved this book. I received it for free from the author but that didn't affect my opinion in any way. It had humor (totally refreshing) and I found myself laughing out loud at times! There was drama, romance, intensity, and light-hearted fun! I fell totally in love with the characters! I really didn't want this book to end. <3 ...more
Alley
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book!!
Easily one of my favorites!
I could not put it down, and found myself completely absorbed by this adorable story!
It is so sweet and pure and clean!
I would suggest it for anyone who just wants a cute read!
Cathy
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book from the very first page! I loved Annette, her parents had died leaving her with the challenge to take care of her two very mischievous brothers. Unfortunately, Annette and her brothers live with their Aunt Ruth and she's very unkind, even abusive at times. And her brothers have been mischievous one too many times. So she sends them to stay with the Kellaways until the end of the summer, or until the boys behave. And if they don't...well, the boys will be sent to an orphanage.

T
Sheila
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
More and more, it's hard to find good clean romances that also have a great story line with compelling characters. Mischief and Manors has so much what readers are looking for. We meet older sister Annette who has two younger brothers who she feels she must take care of. They are orphaned and at the mercy of a mean aunt who is tiring of the younger boys and their horse play. She threatens to send them to an orphanage if they don't shape up. Soon Annette and her brothers are sent away to Kellaway ...more
Amy Koster
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: regency
I absolutely loved this book! If it wasn't for life getting in the way I would have finished earlier. My heart went out to Annette. She is such a strong brave woman. There were times I wanted to reach into the book and force her eyes open to see the truth of her feelings. Owen is adorable. I loved his humor and sweet personality. I love this book and I can't wait to read more from this author!!
Rachel
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars

Reviewed for www.compassbookratings.com

Overall Review:
As part of Cedar Fort Publishing's 'Pure Romance' line, Mischief and Manors is guaranteed to be a light, sweet romance. Not only does Mischief meet the publisher's standards, but it far exceeds them! This novel is darling, fun, and a perfect read for fans of romance. Author Ashtyn Newbold crafts a well-written Regency love story, with twists and turns that keep the plot exciting and fast-paced. Main characters Annette and Owen are
Emily
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still trying to decide how I feel about Mischief and Manors. On the one hand, I read it in almost one sitting and it was a fun regency romance, clean but spunky. On the other hand, it feels like downright plagiarism of my favorite book in this genre - Julianne Donaldson's Edenbrooke. Really, if I posted a list here of the similarities it would be EXTENSIVE. I kind of got the feeling that Ashtyn Newbold saw a winning formula and then proceeded to plug in a few slight differences here and ther ...more
Jessilyn Peaslee
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In her delightful and unforgettable debut novel, Mischief and Manors, Ashtyn Newbold brings us a beautiful story of courage, sacrifice, and love. The story-telling is impeccable and poignant, the characters deep, charming, and very often laugh-out-loud clever. Through the fascinating and wonderfully atrocious Owen and the selfless and brave Annette, we see that life is full of surprises that, if we let them, can take us to new heights.
Jenifer
Jun 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
I couldn't give this a higher rating because this read like Edenbrooke.
Patti
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ashtyn Newbold is new to me and is now on my author watch list for anything new she writes. I thoroughly enjoyed this romp through Regency England. After reading hundreds of books set in that era I am always interested in a new idea or spin put in a story. I found Ashtyn Newbold creative and the plot and characters very enjoyable. Kept my attention from start to finish.

Young 19 yr. old Annette Downing and her two little hellion brothers are orphaned by an accident that claimed the life of their
Marisa
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a great book!! My only frustration with this book is sometimes common with romances where the heroine doesn't let herself fall in love. ugh especially when we as readers are telling her to do so!!!! haha Why do they not see that he's in love with them!! Well written romance and the end is just my favorite!
Kathryn
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found another author that I will be reading every book she has! I can't get enough! Loved the strong willed female character, Annette and the patient, "atrocious"dr. Owen. All the characters are realistic and endearing. I'd love to see a continuation of Edmond or Alice.

Sometimes we climb so high without looking down or knowing if someone will catch us if we fall. Life is about the adventure of the climb with out fearing the past, but looking to the future.
Liza Verdon
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet, refreshingly clean romance. I fell totally in love with the characters and their romance. Ashtyn is an inspired storyteller and character creator. I highly recommend this book.
Barbara Peters
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Light romance, but fun to read.
Meagan Myhren-bennett
Mischief & Manors
By Ashtyn Newbold

Breaking a promise might just be the
best way to keep it....

For five years Annette Downing has been living her promise to her parents - she has put every other interest out of her life except her little brothers. Orphaned at 14 years of age she is determined to protect her brothers Peter (7) and Charles (5) from the hateful abusive spite of her Aunt Ruth Filbee.

But when Aunt Ruth gives Annette an ultimatum ~ turn her brothers into proper gentlemen or see them sh
Becca
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun book to read. I picked it up one night and was not able to go to bed until I finished. I loved it so much.

When Annette and her brothers were left with their aunt when their parents passed away, Annette had to take care of her brothers, and protect them from their Aunt.

The boys always seem to be getting into to trouble, and Annette is always taking the blame to protect them. One day it became too much for the Aunt and she sent Annette and her siblings away to the Kellaway Man
Mary Lou
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
"...the past is powerless unless you grant it power. And it can do so much harm with that power. It can haunt and frighten and deceive. But the past is completely insignificant next to the present. And if you continue giving it power to haunt you, it always will."

When Annette is left to care for her two rambunctious younger brothers, after the death of their parents, her greatest obstacle is herself and learning how to overcome her past. A humorous, romantic story with themes such as the importa
Mackenzie Wynder
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I could not put it down, if it wasn't for my studies I would have completed it the day I got it (instead had to finish it in 2 days.) Be prepared to feel excitement, sadness, frustration and many more emotions for the dear characters that you will instantly fall in love with.
This is definitely one of my new favorites. I finished this book with a very content sigh and am eager to read more books by Ashtyn Newbold that I know will be just as great as this one. (I was given a fr
Heather Chapman
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a new favorite! I was so pleasantly surprised by how much I genuinely LOVED it. It isn't often that I find a book (at least by contemporary authors) that I would read again and again, but this is one of them. I can't say enough good things, even if I received this as an ARC for my honest review. Honestly, it was truly lovely. If you like stories full of heart, dreamy heroes, and interesting twists, you'll enjoy this. I look forward to reading more from this author!
Melissa Atwood
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was well written, and had all the things I love in a great read - love, uncertainty, fun, adventure, a bit of danger... It made me laugh out loud and I even cried a couple of times. It was good enough that I even sacrificed an hour of precious sleep to finish it once my baby had gone to bed. A fantastic debut novel - can't wait to read the next book! (I received a free copy of this book for an honest review).
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Well-Trained Lady (Seasons of Change, #4)
  • To Catch A Suitor (Dalton Family #2)
  • A Regrettable Proposal
  • The Road Through Rushbury (Seasons of Change, #1)
  • Letters for Phoebe (Promise of Forever After Book 1)
  • A Fall from Grace
  • A Forgiving Heart (Seasons of Change #2)
  • The Lady of Larkspur Vale (Ladies of Devon Book 2)
  • The Jewels of Halstead Manor (Ladies of Devon Book 1)
  • To Con a Gentleman (Dalton Family #1)
  • My Wild Heart (Regency Shakespeare, #2)
  • The Rivals of Rosennor Hall (Entangled Inheritance #3)
  • The Fairest Heart (Once Upon a Regency #1)
  • Seeing Mary (Dalton Family #0.5)
  • A Faithful Proposal: A Regency Romance (Memorable Proposals Book 2)
  • A Provision for Love (Entangled Inheritance #1)
  • His Unexpected Heiress (Entangled Inheritance #2)
  • Unmasking Lady Caroline (Belles of Christmas, #1)

News & Interviews