Start by marking “For This We Are Soldiers: Tales of the Frontier Army” as Want to Read:
For This We Are Soldiers: Tales of the Frontier Army

For This We Are Soldiers: Tales of the Frontier Army

From master storyteller Carla Kelly comes this collection of frontier tales that take you behind typical army lines and into the hearts of ordinary men and women who perform extraordinary acts of bravery. From handsome hospital stewards and dashing soldiers to courageous children and wives who will pull at your heartstrings, there’s something for everyone’s fancy.
Published October 11th 2016 by Sweetwater Books

To ask other readers questions about For This We Are Soldiers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For This We Are Soldiers

Kathy * Bookworm Nation
Isn’t that a beautiful cover? I’m such a sucker for a pretty book cover, this one caught my eye and made me want to pick it up and dive in.

This is a collection of six stories, I believe four had been previously published, but was fun to have them all together in one collection. Ms. Kelly is a master at writing historical fiction. She really brings whatever time period she is writing to life. You’ll feel like you’ve stepped back into time, becoming immersed in the characters, setting and day to
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
I'm a huge fan of Carla Kelly's writing style. She has a way of including the gritty and sometimes grim facts of life from the historical eras her stories are set in that only adds to the intensity and realism of the plot and romance while allowing the subtle humor of her characters to bring a lighter and hopeful tone. I love that her characters are regular, everyday working people. She is a great researcher and I can trust that her stories are historically accurate. This collection of stories i ...more
Katie W
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
(3.5 Stars) My favorite way to learn some new facts about history is to pick up a great historical fiction and Carla Kelly really knows her stuff. This book is a collection of short stories that all revolve around soldiers and life in the army. Although the characters, situations, and details are realistic and sordid, each story is told in a way that is gentle and certainly warms the heart.

As I previously mentioned, details were brought to my attention through each story that I hadn't thought o
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I always enjoy books by Carla Kelly. This book was a bit different than her usual stand alone novel in that it contained a collection of short stories. All the stories revolve around people of the army of the frontier. One thing I love about Carla Kelly is that her books always feel authentic to the time and place she is writing about. She maintains a fantastic balance of grit and gentleness that resonates with me as a reader.

Each story in this book has something in it that will tug at your hear
Shauna
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is WONDERFUL! War stories like you have never read before-- These tales are not of the battlefield, but are behind the scenes of the war, and yet they are oh. so. powerful. You will read of officers' wives, hospital personnel, children being left with a charge to watch over their families, soldiers helping soldiers, and much more. And even as each are living in the most difficult of circumstances-- the heart is still a tender thing and life has a way of just going on.
ABSOLUTELY LOVED
Michele
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for anything Carla Kelly writes, but this collection of short stories was truly wonderful. The anthology has some previously released novellas mixed with a few that are new and they worked perfectly together in my humble opinion. What I found truly interesting was that although there may not have been a link between the characters as they didn't appear in multiple stories, the connecting thread was the soldiers, their loved ones, and the hardships they all faced. And some of the cha ...more
Julie
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of novellas and short stories that highlight ordinary men and women who are dealing with war and its aftereffects. There were some that were sweet, like Ozzy and Suh, and some that will make you cry, like Ezra Freeman, and there are definitely some that will make you smile like Ted and Millie. But each one has that special something that makes a Carla Kelly book stand out---they are about regular men and women, just trying to find that special someone while they muddle throu ...more
Kristi
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Carla Kelly for she really does a great job of giving the reader the feeling of walking a few steps in someone’s shoe’s in history. She is probably one of the best at this and I love it.

This is a collection of short stories, a few are new and a few appear in other collections. You should also know that not all of these are romances, but I didn’t mind for they were all interesting.
Heidi
One of the things that I love about this book is that it's all about ordinary people. People like me who did the best they could with what they had. This book focuses on the decades related to what historians call the Indian Wars, basically the years that the U.S. Army spent fighting various Indian tribes. In this book we meet a new bride forced to adjust to poor living conditions and her husband being gone for weeks at a time. A shy hospital steward who is attracted to a biracial woman who serv ...more
Cathy
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this collection by Carla Kelly, each of the titles included is short, easily read and interesting. There was at least one of them that I had already read, "Break a Leg," it was in the Old West Collection of A Timeless Romance Anthology and I remember reading it and liking it then as well.

This one has 6 tales written by Carla Kelly about women who would have been associated with the army after the time of the Civil War. That makes this fun, because you don't usually hear about
Melanie
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a compilation of four previously published stories, plus two new ones. 'Such Brave Men', 'Break a Leg', 'A Season for Heroes' and 'Mary Murphy,' have been published before, while 'Take a Memo' and 'A Leader To His Troops' are brand new.

As usual Ms. Kelly gifts us with characters that are of working class, or in this case some sergeants and corporals of the U.S. Army as well as introducing us to some of the strongest women who've fought and survived the brutality of the frontier.

Carl
Patti
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
What more can I say about another book from my favorite author? I read anything she writes. She could write a story titled "The Color Beige" - and I would buy it and eagerly dive into it!

This is a collection of short stories of the army frontier, back when the west was wild and fit only for the courageous. Four stories have been out in other books, the other two are new. I had only read one, ‘Break a Leg’, but gladly reread it, because well – it’s just heartwarmingly good! (5 stars)

This small b
Michele
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Carla Kelly for me is a go to author. She writes novels of the human spirit set in authentically portrayed historical backgrounds. This gem is a series of short stories of army men and women set during the Indian Wars out west. Being a military brat, I can verify that Mrs Kelly captures the essence of military relationships and hierarchy. A tenuous thread of across the ranks respect while retaining rigid disciple and distinction is rarely captured effectively. Mrs Kelly does so effectively while ...more
Barb in Maryland
Nice collection of Kelly's short stories featuring the US Army in the post-Civil War West. Most of the stories have been published before; however, there are a few new ones. Most of the stories have a touch of romance as well.
This would be a good intro for readers unfamiliar with Kelly's short fiction.
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
I really enjoyed this one! Review posting 10/20.
Meagan Myhren-bennett
For This We Are Soldiers
Tales of the Frontier Army
By Carla Kelly

This is a delightful collection of 6 short stories that are set during the years of the Indian Wars (1854-1890). Rather than focusing on the men who served this book looks at the women who gave up the lives they knew for the unknown isolation that awaited them.

The stories include Such Brave Men in which newly wed Emma Sanders learns about Army housing and the joys of being ranked. And her experiences with raking make her a professio
Kent
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
First time reading Carla Kelly, who apparently has written several Westerns and other books. This is a different sort of Western, because its from the pov of mostly the women who were wives, sweethearts, or otherwise attached to the Army during the later 1800s in the West. Very clean; some good fun mild romance and interesting stories from the women's perspective of being the one's waiting while their husbands/betrtothed/sweethearts are out on patrol against marauding Indians or other circumstan ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
As I read the introduction of this collection of stories I wasn'the surprised to learn that Carla Kelly is a historian. It made perfect sense because I have always admired her attention to detail in her historical fiction.

This collection centers around the Indian Wars. Each story is unique. The characters and circumstances are different. All tell the story of soldiers, families, and some of blossoming romance. The people in the stories are resilient and illustrate the hard life that many led. Th
Dad
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
These were some great stories about the West and the Army. I enjoy the full length books better. They are not long enough to build up suspense. They were good though. I liked the one about Birdie O'Grady and Hiram the best.
We read this in the car. I drive and my wife reads the book. We have read a lot this way. We get places quicker that way it seems. Carla Kelly is our favorite author.
Carolyn
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: based-on-history
Six stories of Frontier soldier life, the trials and frustration of being in the wild west on lonely forts far from towns. These historical stories bring a real life feeling to the early development of the west. There is some romance and much grittiness about the real lives of soldiers in the frontier.
Cherri
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Sweet stories of life in the army during Frontier days.
Allison
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
An easy read collection of short stories written in tribute to the women of the frontier.
Amanda
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun little book filled with short stories. I'm only sad that I get attached to the characters and I don't get to spend a lot of time with them.
Darlene
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoy Carla Kelly's Regency romances, but I really like her tales set in the American West. Her depth of knowledge of the period, her eye for detail, all of it combines with excellent story-telling to make for a great reading experience.

This collection of tales from the frontier isn't a romance collection, and three of the stories appeared in the (also excellent) Here's To the Ladies, but it's a good purchase for her fans. I hope Ms. Kelly continues to bring us tales from the frontier army, a
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I've always loved Kelly's books but this one left me wanting more! I'm just not content with short stories. But I'm still a huge fan!
Jeri
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only one reprint!

Sweet short stories of women who followed the drum in the West following the Civil War. Carla Kelly has a rare talent for making ordinary people lovable and extra ordinary.
Patsyann
Story #1 - already have in another book
Story #2 - already have in another book DNR
Story #3 - already have in another book - Did not read
Story #4
Binge reading Carla Kelly short stories. Great little story with a great male character. Story told from Male perspective - something that Kelly does well. Fun reading about a military fort and messages going back and forth in a fort. Great military story - great little love story.
BEST USE OF Messages
ALPHA MALE: 9
SPUNKY HEROINE: 10
SEX: 0
HEA: Yes!!
PROLOGU
Amy
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really like Carla Kelly's writing style.
Emmy
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a collection of short stories that take place at a time when the wild west really was the wild west, much of the United States still unclaimed. I love how real the characters all felt and how we got little glimpses of their lives that left you satisfied yet wanting more. Carla does an amazing job transporting you and making it feel so real. The stories were all independent yet it made it feel like maybe there was a connection between several of the stories that could be there. It m ...more
Christine
From a soldier’s bride making a new home on the U.S. frontier at Fort Laramie, Dakota Territory, to Corporal of the Day Theodore Sheppard trying to solve who milked the surgeon’s cows and stole the milk at Fort Buford in Dakota Territory, the seven short stories in Carla Kelly’s compilation “For This We are Soliders: Tales of the Frontier Army” share a slice of life at the military outposts.
She weaves vivid characters and settings as she shares stories about life, at times behind the scenes, at
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Although Carla Kelly is well known among her readers as a writer of Regency romance, her main interest (and first writing success) is Western American fiction—more specifically, writing about America's Indian Wars. Although she had sold some of her work before, it was not until Carla began work in the National P