Start by marking “No Peace with the Dawn” as Want to Read:
No Peace with the Dawn

No Peace with the Dawn

In 1917, the Great War seems far from Logan, Utah. But soon it will change the lives of suffragette and mechanic Clara, Swiss-German immigrant and LDS convert Trudi, Marine Corps volunteer Reed, and Shoshone seeking U.S. citizenship Joseph. This novel weaves real events with compelling fictional characters into a sweeping tale of war, romance, self-discovery, and sacrifice ...more
Published November 1st 2016 by Bonneville

To ask other readers questions about No Peace with the Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Peace with the Dawn

Start your review of No Peace with the Dawn
A.L. Sowards
I’ve read enough nonfiction about both world wars that most novels set during those time periods make me groan with frustration because so few authors put in the time necessary to research a really good historical fiction piece. I was thrilled by how carefully researched this one was.

The book follows several characters, all but one of them students at Logan Utah’s Agricultural College (now USU). During the war the characters end up as a YMCA worker/volunteer ambulance driver, a marine, two sold
Coco.V
Jul 20, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (7/20/2019)! 🎁
Katie W
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wwi, historical
(4.5 Stars) This story follows a couple of college age friends at the beginnings of the Great War (WWI). The first part of the book really shows the spunky, spit-fire attitude of Clara, her more demure brother, Alonzo, their immigrant friend, Trudi, a cocky flirt, Reed, and a Shoshone friend, Joseph, along with several other characters. I loved seeing what their college experience was like, what they did for fun, and the way life was in Logan, Utah a century ago. With that threat of war looming, ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
The book begins before the US entered WWI. A group of college students in Logan, Utah live in a time where women's suffrage is a point of debate and young men wonder if they will be called upon to enter the war.

There are a lot of characters in the group of friends. Sometimes I had a hard time trying to remember who each of them were and where they fit into the story. The author's tell the story to the reader. I had a hard time picturing the events and wanted a little more description. It took me
Suzanne Hudson
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great historical fiction about WWI and students at Utah Agricultural College (now Utah State University). I was very interested in USU's early history and how the war affected it's students and the predominately LDS community. The friendships and budding romances was fun too. I give it 4.5 stars.
Constance Roberts
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was pleased to receive an ARC of No Peace With The Dawn from Cedar Fort in exchange for an honest review.

The plot of this war romance quickly turns from lighthearted fun to a lot of deep emotional drama as each of the characters endures their own personal tragities and whitnesses the horrors of war. Each individual was interesting and easy to want to follow: Reed, a college student falls for Clara, a firey young woman that is quick to sacrifice for what she knows is right. Joseph is a Native A
Sherrie Lynn
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I recommend Wheeler's writing to everyone. Her stories are engaging and well researched and No Peace with the Dawn is no exception.

The story follows the lives of people living in Cache Valley, Utah during World War I. I find the novel to be quite interesting, because the authors don't just focus on your typical white soldier, but explore the difficulties of living in the US as an immigrant during that time as well as the racism and injustice of being a Native American or even a woman who wishes
Shauna
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love to read for pure enjoyment without too much analyzing--but lately books like this really make me think about what I would do if I was in that situation-- Would I be able to just go on with life? Would I be one to join in the fight anyway I can? Would I put my life on the line to save another? This book is SO GOOD! I love that it is based on true facts--which just makes me wonder even more what I would do if these things hit close to home again.This one is a MUST-READ!
LAWonder10
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reed and his buddies had began attending the agricultural college. Reed was fun-loving, Bert was also adventurous but a devoted "farm boy", Joseph -a little older Native American, and Alonzo  a "city boy" against the war raging throughout Europe.
The other students were Clara, Alonzo's free-spirited, determined, obstinate sister, and her more refined friend and Swiss immigrant, Trudi.
The war had a different impact on the various population in America. Wilson was elected on the prefaces' that he
Cathy
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. I liked the way that it told the story from several points of view. The points of view were varied and made the whole war and events of the time just pop off the page for me.

There's Clara, she's a young coed always trying to do things her own way. She loves to work on cars and debate with the boys and she's not thrilled that the boys get to go to war and the girls have to stay home.

There's Reed, his was probably the normal story you think of out of this time
Landon Wilkey
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Having had one of the authors as a professor for an American Military History course, and after attending a lecture by the authors previewing the book and how it came to fruition, I know the historic backing of this novel is solid. I enjoyed the tremendous breadth of topics the authors were able to include while not overwhelming the reader.

While there is certainly romance present throughout the book, the reader is faced with numerous adventures, storylines, and emotions which will keep them read
Yvonne
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a Terrific story. I hate writing reviews but this is a book that could be read by any generation of people. It is timeless. The elements of the storyline will resonate with any adult. Discrimination, suspicion, coming of age, separation from loved ones, the terror of war in many different elements of war all combine to make this a very good read!
Karen
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story of WWI - how it affects a group of college friends in Logan, Utah. I was glad they include chapter notes of the actual history of many of the experiences. Overall, the war is a staggeringly large subject, so this book just shows a small portion, and that makes it more personal. Sad, and also meaningful.
MaryLynn
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't read a lot of religious fiction (this has LDS characters and revolves around an LDS community) but I was very moved by this novel set during WWI. It was well researched and I learned a lot about the time period and the Great War. The characters were appealing, which made their struggles more poignant.
Kylie
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I loved the connection to Utah State University (back then the Agricultural College of Utah) and Logan. I loved the characters and their dynamic personalities as they experience loss and heartache in the war. This felt very real and so good. Such a great book!
Lydia
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed the historical aspect of this novel. It drove the story, sometimes leaving the characters behind or conveniently placing them in the past to tell a tale. Very well researched and especially delightful as it told unique stories from WWI.
Shirleen
Loved it. Very real. Liked that it took place local in Logan
Deseret News
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it
See full review here: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/86...

Set in 1917, Logan, "No Peace With the Dawn" follows the lives of four young adults as they face the challenges of leaving their peaceful lives in Cache Valley and experiencing a world at war.

Clara, Trudi, Reed and Joseph all come from different backgrounds but share a common bond as young members of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Their daily routines revolve around activities on the campus of Utah's Agricultural
Cathy
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

There's Reed, his was probably the normal story you think of out of this time
Karie
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
No Peace with the Dawn straddles the line between a really entertaining textbook and an information-heavy fiction novel. As a discourse on the struggles of the average citizen during World War I and how the major events of the time--racism, influenza and pneumonia, PTSD--tied together, it is brilliantly enlightening, giving glorious detail on life in the trenches and life in Logan, Utah, during those years. It is historically accurate and clearly written--obviously, a great deal of care went int ...more
T
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it
It was fun to read about a town I lived in during World War I, making it easy to picture the area. This books has four points of view, but I feel like it was mainly Reed and Clara's story. In a way I wish it had just been their points of view so I could have felt a deeper connection with them. This novel is chock full of historical facts and you can tell the authors did their research, but sometimes the dialogue or narration felt a little stiff because they tried to explain things that I didn't ...more
Nikki
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So. Good. Compelling. Eye-opening. Gut-wrenching.
Logan, Utah 1916 is set up perfectly as The Hometown, making it all the more haunting when World War I tugs the characters into panicked xenophobia, selfless nationalism, and finally the rumble of artillery. I laughed and cried and was left with hope. I don't know what better thing to say!
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
May 17, 2018

• Songs of the Humpback Whale
  • Love the One You're With
  • The Wisdom of Your Cells: How Your Beliefs Control Your Biology
  • Healing Hearts (Savage Wells, #2)
  • That Summer
  • The Hynek UFO Report
  • God's Smuggler
  • Ashes on the Moor
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Secret of the India Orchid
  • Diary of Thoughts: Whisper Network by Chandler Baker - A Journal for Your Thoughts About the Book
  • Kiss of the Spindle (Steampunk Proper Romance #2)
  • Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works
  • Keys to the Demon Prison (Fablehaven, #5)
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
  • The Hope of Elantris (Elantris, #1.5)
  • The Pharaoh's Daughter (Isabelle Webb, #2)
  • The Grecian Princess (Isabelle Webb #3)
E.B. Wheeler attended BYU, majoring in history with an English minor, and earned graduate degrees in history and landscape architecture from Utah State University. She's the award-winning author of THE HAUNTING OF SPRINGETT HALL, BORN TO TREASON, and NO PEACE WITH THE DAWN, as well as several short stories, magazine articles, and scripts for educational software programs. She was named the 2016 Wr ...more