Start by marking “You Wouldn't Want to Be a Mayan Soothsayer!: Fortunes You'd Rather Not Tell” as Want to Read:
You Wouldn't Want to Be a Mayan Soothsayer!: Fortunes You'd Rather Not Tell

You Wouldn't Want to Be a Mayan Soothsayer!: Fortunes You'd Rather Not Tell

(You Wouldn't Want to...)

Features:
- Humorous Handy Hints that relate directly to the text are provided on each spread
- High interest topic for children of all ages
- Draws in even the most reluctant reader with a lighthearted tone and hilarious illustrations
- The cultures and traditions of ancient civilizations spring to life in the pages of this series
- Includes glossary and index
- Perfect for st
Published December 31st 2008 by Children's Press(CT) (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about You Wouldn't Want to Be a Mayan Soothsayer!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Wouldn't Want to Be a Mayan Soothsayer!

Set
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't know about this installment in the series, it kind of bored me. I don't know if I was just bored because this culture doesn't appeal to me at all but I think it was just windy and not that interesting. The soothsayer has to keep records of the stars, calendar, and all the sacred days. His responsibility is to teach the dance for rituals to the master that employs him, predict the future, referee the games, kill wild tigers with an obsidian knife, kill human sacrifices, light the torch th ...more
Grant
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fun, slightly gruesome, introduction to Mayan culture and history.
Lil Diego
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a quick, easy, and fun way to learn about the Mayans. It's a very educating read that demonstrates the daily life of Mayans. It's in a first person perspective where you are a Mayan Soothsayer. It shows the pros and cons of being a Mayan. Overall, I think this was a very fun and educational book to read.
Sandy
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another one down. A lot of information for those who were soothsayers in the Mayan culture. Presented with great pictures that kids will love. The children had to learn math and learn all about 150 gods. I see school hasn't changed much. At least their history classes didn't have that much history.
Ubalstecha
Another great instalment of this history series for kids. Again, the book is full of the shocking and gross out facts that give the series it's title, but there is also a solid ethnographic look at the culture of the Ancient Mayans, in a way that most junior students would understand.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahser (8yo) read.
Lady Knight
Quick, easy, enjoyable, and educating read. Easy to see why so many kids and younger teens love these!
Amber
Dec 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: sy10-11, school
As usual the kids enjoyed the word bubbles and handy hints but I felt like this one was a little light on facts about the culture. I didn't learn anything new. Enjoyable regardless.
Kelly Carey
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Climbing the ranks of Mayan society probably wasn't as easy as this book makes it out to be.
Katie Lawrence
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
What a fun nonfiction book! I loved learning all about Mayan soothsayers and I know I could sell this book to my students. It is so good to know there is fun, informative nonfiction out there!
Sylwia
Jan 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
i love this series of books! i love to read of all them. quick easy and fun way to learn history! my kids love them too!
Bethany
Sandra Trajlov
May 31, 2014
Timothy
Mar 31, 2009 rated it liked it
I like the humor in history it gives
Cameo Olsen
Sep 21, 2015
Mattie Gilliam
Jul 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

You Wouldn't Want to... (1 - 10 of 134 books)
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an Egyptian Mummy!: Disgusting Things You'd Rather Not Know
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Slave in Ancient Greece!: A Life You'd Rather Not Have
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an Aztec Sacrifice!: Gruesome Things You'd Rather Not Know
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be Sick in the 16th Century!: Diseases You'd Rather Not Catch
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Viking Explorer!: Voyages You'd Rather Not Make
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be in a Medieval Dungeon!: Prisoners You'd Rather Not Meet
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be on Apollo 13!: A Mission You'd Rather Not Go on
  • You Wouldnt Want to Climb Mount Everest!: A Deadly Journey to the Top of the World
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Medieval Knight!: Armor You'd Rather Not Wear