Start by marking “30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary” as Want to Read:
30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary

30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  417 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Achieve a powerful, more effective, more successful vocabulary in just a month. All it takes is 15 minutes a day and this highly effective mini-course. Start boosting communication skills with a simple 12-minute quiz that highlights your current proficiency. Keep the pencil ready and go through the workbook which guides you in writing, saying, and using new words continual
Published December 11th 2003 by Galahad (first published 1942)

Mohit
Jan 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Overall, the book is one of the better ones. It is not soporific, and if words are your bete noire then its the book to help you make them your forte. Its certainly not for plebians and dilettante. The greatest message inculcated in the book is that to use words adroitly you need not belong to an esoteric circle.
Serge Pierro
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
An excellent method for expanding your vocabulary. Each chapter is on a specific topic, and a list of relevant words is presented (with definitions). Then multiple tests are given to help you in the memorization process.
Brit Cheung
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I need to confess 30 days to build a "powerful" vocabulary was beyond what I am capable of--It virtually took me more than two months to “breeze through” the book, in part because I procrastinated a lot.
In the very beginning, there exists a vocabulary capacity test for self assessment but so many words eluded me or frankly, I never seen them before. A few of them are exceedingly odd and abstruse and compelled me to scramble for dictionary frequently.

Completely knowing procrastination is no goo
Katie Anderson
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
An old book: 1942. Funny how a lot of these words are not used, or are so commonly used they were not new. One very interesting note in the penultimate chapter though was how our language really has changed so much. Just a mere 300 years ago King George told Sir Christopher Wren that his architecture of St. Paul's Cathedral was "amusing, awful, and artificial." Indeed a compliment when it really meant amazing, awe-inspiring, and artistic! I love language!
Briana Ford
Outdated. Published in 91. Best part is the index. Take a look at the words in the index, check off the ones you know, look the ones you don't know up in the thesaurus. Ta-da, a more powerful vocabulary.
Rebecca
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves to learn
I completed this book on a vacation. It was fun and interesting and a learned a lot of new words. I have been meaning to go through it again, but I think I'll not do it so fast this time and only do the 30 minutes a day.
Jo Schaffer
Feb 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
I am a complete word nerd- so I adored this book.
Monica
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
After going through this book I kept seeing those vocab words pop up everywhere. Before I would have had no idea what those meant.
Jeff
I found the 1974 edition of this book on my uncle’s old book shelf. I’ve been doing basically the same job for fifteen years and figured my non-professional vocabulary had stalled out so I though it wouldn’t hurt to learn some new words. It turns out I knew most of the words in this book already, and some of the words I learned I probably will never have a use for - weltschmerz, vainglorious, uxorious, somnambulism – to name a few. Weltschmerz? Wow, my Word program doesn’t even recognize this on ...more
Rahul Lingala
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ditched in the middle. Though you can see the author putting efforts to teach you good vocabulary, I don't think this book will serve the purpose. I still believe the best way to improve your vocabulary is still the traditional one: read books regularly and try to incorporate the new words in your language.
Masroor Dahri
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lisa Kucharski
Aug 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have the 1942 print of this book. So, some of the language being used has shifted and changed when read by someone of 2011.

Great book to get engaged in language and learning not just new words but the source of words. The only little chapter which talked about current words whose meanings were different years ago was a great example of how language lives and changes.

Would highly recommend this to anyone interested in increasing vocabulary.
AGamble
Jun 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gre
Helpful little book with a variety of good exercises and tips to build vocabulary, but some of the word usage is outdated. For those on a tight study schedule, it can be completed in less than thirty days without losing learned word retention.
Kelly
Dec 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My honors english teacher in high school (sophomore year?) used this as a text book and I still find myself cracking it open every now and then. My husband and use it to quiz each other just for fun! I know, we're weird.
Jessica
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educational
I had to read this book in high school and thought I should revisit it. It was good...not any amazing technique for getting you to learn words. Just repetition, learn new words every day. Some of the words I will probably never say again in my life (ochlocracy?) but who knows.
John Sorensen
A book with good qualities, simple to read, fun exercises but many of the words are obviously outdated and I have never encountered before. A book like this would be more beneficial if it had been written within the last 20 years.
Vincent
Second reading: 7-30-2007
Denise Lopez
Aug 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students/english as a second language
Shelves: educational
"Where I learned the meaning and use of words such as sycophant and osequious. Unfortunately, they're still not part of my everyday lingo."
Lorelle
Jul 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Geeks like me.
Recommended to Lorelle by: My dad.
Woohoo. A book for geeks like me who enjoy spending time learning big words. (Which I rarely use in normal conversation, mind you. I have to dumb down my word choice for some of my friends...)
Debabrata Tripathy
not interesting as like "word power made easy"
Webcowgirl
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Subtly helps you "level up" your vocabulary.
Anirudha Sundaresan
Sagar N.
Jun 23, 2014
  • How to Build a Better Vocabulary
  • Instant Word Power
  • Ifferisms: An Anthology of Aphorisms That Begin with the Word "IF"
  • Verbal Advantage: Ten Easy Steps to a Powerful Vocabulary

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Journal of a Solitude
  • Living by the Word: Essays
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
    $12.99 $3.99