Start by marking “Civil War: Wolverine” as Want to Read:
Civil War: Wolverine

Civil War: Wolverine

(Wolverine/Dark Wolverine (Collected Editions) #8)

Collects Wolverine #42-48. In the aftermath of the Stamford tragedy, Logan makes it his personal mission to take down the man responsible. No sooner does he begin his hunt, however, than he discovers someone else is stalking the same prey: a mysterious trio whose identity, and disturbing mission, will come as a shock to many! If Logan's unsettled by who these guys are, the ...more
Paperback, Trade, 168 pages
Published May 16th 2007 by Marvel (first published May 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Civil War

Start your review of Civil War: Wolverine
Kemper
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I’m usually not a big fan of solo Wolverine stories because his popularity has made him chronically overexposed, and I think that anti-hero types generally work better when they’ve got some other similar but different types to rub up against. Logan by himself is just a surly, homicidal Canadian with a bad haircut, but Wolverine with the X-Men is a guy fighting for a cause with his difference in tactics making for interesting internal conflicts.

However, this kinda works because Wolverine is a mut
Sesana
Nov 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
You know it's bad when the sole voice of reason in the Marvel Universe is Wolverine. From what I've seen, Wolverine seems to be the only person in the world interested in finding the guy who actually killed all those people in Stamford, and the only guy willing to find out how he got the juice to do so in the first place. What a way to point out the absurdity of using the actions of a supervillain as an excuse to hunt down superheroes. (This kind of reaction doesn't exactly come entirely out of ...more
Jonathan Terrington

There are graphic novels which perfectly achieve what they set out to do. In terms of a story or artwork they may not be Watchmen or The Dark Knight Returns, but they are strong for how they tell their own story. This is one of those graphic novels.

The story lines up with the events of Civil War, in which the world is divided into semi-fascist register-all-heroes and let-all-heroes-be-free sides. In the midst of this, Wolverine, with his typical, near-laconic, attitude, sets off on a mission aga
Rob McMonigal
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
There are two kinds of folks who write Wolverine--those that write in the "best at what I do" style, where Wolverine gets a goal in his head and sets out to reach his goal, come hell or high water, and those that don't. Those that don't frequently try for either a deeper character or more realism (on a character whose entire skeleton is a Terminator-style structure), which frankly is sometimes good but just not as much fun. Wolverine is like a force of nature that you like to see unleashed on so ...more
Anne
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good story, not mind-blowing, but very good. Ties in nicely to the other Civil War stories that I've read. Wolverine goes after Nitro, so you can imagine that there is a nice amount of carnage going on in this book. I think most people have a part of us, maybe buried deep inside (or not very deep, in my case), that stands up and cheers when Wolverine stabs a child-killer right through the eyeball.
I didn't really care for the way Wolverine was drawn, though. Picky, I know. It's just that, at cert
Greg
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
Some great drawings of Wolverine healing after having all of his flesh and muscle burned off of him. There is also a nice little story about him taking down an evil war-profiteering company that could only be in a comic book because there are no corporations who would try to use shady dealings at the misery of others just to make some money.
Eli
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, marvel-comics
I've read a lot of the Civil War stories, and the good ones always make me feel like I learned another part of the bigger story. This is one of those.

Apparently, Nitro (the villain that blew up Stamford and basically ignited the Superhuman Registration Act) got away after he killed roughly 600 people. This makes Wolverine mad and he goes after him, despite Emma Frost, Scott Summers, and Tony Stark advising against him doing anything. But Wolverine does what he wants because he's the best at what
Arturo
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it

I strongly dislike the art. Ramos is great on Spider-Man, Impulse, and Young Justice. But you cant have him on Wolverine. Its Too cartoony. Then again i flip thru the pages and Wolverine has Nitro on the floor screaming, begging for his life. Its intense, It has great poses, great breakdowns. But maybe that's still the writers doing ( telling the artist he wants characters doing this and that)
In the end the writing's too great. And the epilogue about his healing factor, a must-read for all wol
Jedhua
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Book Info: This collection contains Wolverine issues #42-48.

Other Useful Reviews: Samuel's review

ABSOLUTE RATING: {2/5 stars}

STANDARDIZED RATING: <2/5 stars>

description

As the book's title would imply, Wolverine: Civil War is a limited series tie-in related to Marvel's Civil War crossover event. While the larger superhero community and enraged public confront the radical changes imposed by the superhuman registration act, Wolverine seems to have other priorities. More concerned with exacting vengeance u
Seizure Romero
Wolverine gets blowed up and then kills some more people (they're like, bad guys, y'know, so it's ok).
The story is entertaining (and loosely tied in with the Civil War storyline) but what really made me giggle was Wolverine's meganormous neck. Seriously. This Humberto Ramos guy can draw some interesting facial expressions and cool sequences, but Wolverine's neck is huge. I don't think he'll need his claws anymore, he'll just neck people to death.
Krista
Here we see Wolverine go on a manhunt to find Nitro, the instigator of the Stamford incident. I should've expected a graphic novel featuring Wolverine to be gory, but wow, note to self: don't read before going to bed (haha).

But I digress... This is a tightly-woven storyline, and the only story I wondered about in its inclusion in this collection was the last one, where Wolverine talks about what it's like to die, but not cross over to the other side. But after I read it, I think I understand why
Kyle
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel-comics
At first I thought the artwork was weird, the proportions were odd, and every character was off-model.... But then the artwork really grew on me! It's quirky and different, and I really liked the look of Iron Man and Namor in this collection.

In this collection we follow Logan as he tracks down Nitro, the villain responsible for the Stamford disaster. Along the way he crosses paths with some Atlanteans, who are also hellbent on revenge against Nitro. Logan is forced to question his motives, how m
Brad
Sep 13, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel, x-men
Wolverine, plastered on most Marvel books these days, was conspicuously absent from Civil War. This book shows his surprisingly central task in the crossover: he went after Nitro, who caused the "Stamford Incident." I'm really surprised none of the other CW books I read mentioned this. Anyway, that vendetta spins off into other dealings with Atlantis, Iron Man, and Damage Control.
Marc Guggenheim writes competent plot point-to-plot point stories, though war profiteering isn't the most engaging co
Andrew
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I like the art in this, even if they do make Wolverine ten times bigger than everyone else, and his arms as thick as a plasma screen TV.
Omar
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
8.8 good. Good addition to the civil war series and a overall good comic. Writing was good bit the main part was the entertainment level. Just a fun civil war addition a good 1 for your shelf.
Brandt
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
I'm still trying to catch up on my reviews, but I've been on the damned computer all day, so this is the one you're getting from me.

So I've been gradually been going through all of the Civil War related crossovers, and to this point I've found that the Ed Brubaker crossover in Captain America: The Death of Captain America has effectively been the outlier since as I have said many times before, these publisher events tend to be limiting to the creative teams writing the books. The Wolver
C
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Continuing the great X-read of 2017 that has now stretched into 2018...

Okay. So I am way behind on reviewing these x-books that I have been reading. So I am going to just kind of ramble about all of them and copy/paste my thoughts. Which will make for a bit of a mess and I am sorry. Quick ramblings:

Cable and Deadpool continues to be surprisingly good though a little more scattered in these couple of volumes.
X-Men the Blood of Apocalypse was rushed in my opinion...
Phoenix Warsong was pretty decen
Max Driffill
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was almost a perfect Wolverine story, and certainly one of the better sub-plots of Marvel Comics’ Civil War story line. Logan is tasked with chasing down and catching or eliminating the super human responsible for the mass killing that cause the public to demand a Super Human Registration Act. The villain in question can basically generate a small nuclear blast.

I won’t say more other than this. The collection gives a lot of great lines, some wonderful action beats, as well as insight into
Jake
May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really, really wanted to like this. I am not a huge fan of Wolverine; however, I thought the story of him hunting down Nitro would be enthralling....

What this ended up being, was like the first 1/8 him hunting down and finding Nitro, and then the rest him tracking a rather boring corporate corruption issue. Honestly, I found myself not caring even a fraction about this. It tried to put a more complicated spin on this, when it should have just been an interesting and enticing chase.

Even the ea
Malum
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Civil war is going one between the heroes but, hey, what ever happened to the guy that killed all of those people to start this mess in the first place? Well, this story will tell you.
Wolverine goes on the hunt for Nitro, the villain responsible for wiping out an entire town and starting the super hero civil war. As it turns out, the chase isn't that simple as Wolverine uncovers an entire conspiracy involving power-enhancing drugs and government agencies.
This is one of the better Civil War side
Erica
Aug 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who prefer the newer Wolverine.
Shelves: graphic-novels
I started out reading stories of Wolverine in the 90's and before, so maybe that's why I don't care for the new version of the character. This version, one who can regrow his body after being annihilated by 500 degree blasts leaving only his adamantium skeleton behind, leaves little to cheer for. Who cares who or what he's facing if nothing can kill him? If there's nothing to lose, it's not interesting. Call him a hairier, unfunny Deadpool and be done with it.

The reference to Jean Gray's consta
Judah Radd
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel-comics
I love these kids of Wolverine stories... where he has some people who need killin and everyone else is trying to get in his way.

This was a good read. The art was mostly good except the faces; too cartoony.

It reminded me a lot of Enemy of the State by Mark Millar. It had the same man against the world feel.

As far as Civil War tie ins go, this was one of the best. It actually tied in to the main arc in a way that mattered, but also stood on it’s own as a wild and fun Logan adventure.

Definite r
Christian Smith
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Plot holes/problems:

1. Why did wolverine get on top of a building just to jump on Tony's back?

2. How did the syringe that wolverine through into the guys neck deposit the liquid? it needs to be pressed first.

3. How did wolverine not drown when he poked holes in the Iron Man suit underwater?

4. How did wolverine carry in data-miner when he was just wearing his suit?
Linnea Gelland
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Wolverine against the rest of the X-men and Avengers - again.
Quite entertaining, but a bit repetitive, I thought. I'm not too fond of the Wolverine-artwork either, he seems to be all neck for some reason. The backgrounds are nice though, and I really liked the epilogue story where we get a bit of philosophy after all the fighting (wrapped up in some more fighting).
Amanda Shepard (Between-the-Shelves)
The story works here, even if the art isn't necessarily my favorite in this installment. Wolverine as a character just has a great voice, which stands out in this Civil War story. There were bits of the ending that were a little confusing to me, I think because of the way they were drawn. But it was entertaining overall. ...more
Tia Garrigues
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this storyline and art!
Katie Schmoyer
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Super cheesy and slightly irreverent to bible believers or "religious" folks as he puts it. ...more
Anthony
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book loved the story and writing but man the Art is kinda brutal you get used to it but I hate the way he draws Wolverine.
Nuno
Mar 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, local-library
I didn't like the art much, and the story didn't make any good impressions either. ...more
Ben Lund
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Good Story, terrible art.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Civil War: Peter Parker, Spider-Man
  • Civil War: Punisher War Journal
  • Civil War: Captain America/Iron Man
  • Civil War: Front Line

Wolverine/Dark Wolverine (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Wolverine, Volume 1: The Brotherhood