Start by marking “If Animals Kissed Good Night” as Want to Read:
If Animals Kissed Good Night

If Animals Kissed Good Night

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  468 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
If animals kissed
like we kiss good night,
Giraffe and his calf
would stretch their necks high
and kiss just beneath
the top of the sky.

In a cozy bedtime chat with her mom, a young girl wonders how animal families might say good night. Would Wolf and his pup “kiss and then HOWL”? Would Bear and her cub “kiss and then GROWL”? But what about Sloth and her baby? They move soooo sl
Published April 1st 2008 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about If Animals Kissed Good Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Animals Kissed Good Night

NTE
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read for CBR 6

Today you lovely people get to benefit from my

1) need to provide the newest arrivals in my family with quality children’s literature,
2) hatred for gift registries, and
3) understanding of the panic that occurs when tiny babies do not want to go to sleep.

My go-to gift for any occasion is a book. Or many books. I figure you, my fellow Cannonballers, have a similar notion that there is, somewhere in the universe, a perfect book to give as a gift for almost every reason. Good days, bad
Michael
This is an adorable book, with wonderfully simple drawings, vivid colors, fun rhyming, and a great bedtime theme. The fact that they mixed up all the genders - mommies, daddies, daughters, sons - perfected the experience for me. There is an hilarious recurring theme with the sloths because they take so long for their kiss. My kids and I love to say "sooooo slooooow" as low and as long as we can while describing how the sloths kiss good night. Fun and sleep-inducing!!
Kathryn
Very cute illustrations, fun rhymes, and a variety of animals make this a winning bedtime read, one especially suited for Valentine's Day. I like the imagination behind the different settings, sounds, etc. the parent/baby animals would make with their goodnight kisses, and the ending illustration is especially adorable and ties in adorably with the author's note where she mentions she was inspired to write the book based on a little bedtime game she used to play with her own child.
Meagan
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my daughter's favorites!! It's so cute.
Caitlin
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this approximately a thousand times at bedtime, and I still like it.
Holli
May 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
I don’t know why, but I actually found this book really kind of disturbing.
Joe
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful preschool book to read for bedtime with your little one.
Erik
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-children
Cute illustrations and good rhymes that fit well with each animal. The repeated sloth joke is pretty good.
Dogdaysinaz
I bought this as part of a baby shower gift. It is an adorable book, sloths and all!
Evelyn Song
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gbd
非常优美,同时介绍动物和动物宝宝的名词
Jessica
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I love the colors in this book. They were creamy pastels that weren't too vibrant for bedtime stories. Great story and illustrations!
Lacey
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very cute book with super cute illustrations that my daughter had picked for her daddy to read to her. She really liked it and told me about it the next day.
Wendy
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
great bed time story
Viviane Elbee
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is basically a poem, about different baby animals kissing their parents good night. It has some humor - I especially liked the very slow sloth. It's a fairly quick read. I would recommend it for toddlers.
sylas
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, kids
The number one cutest.
Shel
Jul 24, 2009 added it
Paul, A.W. (2008). If Animals Kissed Goodnight. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux.

If Animals Kissed Goodnight shares the way a number of animals kiss goodnight. While some strict adults may frown upon all the anthropomorphized animals, there is still a lot of fun vocabulary words that toddlers and other youngins can learn from this text. Most of the text is structured into rhyming couplets, which works well.

As the story progresses, the sun sets, brining nighttime to the animals in the illustra
Joanna
May 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Absolutely delightful from beginning to end. This book could easily become part of a good night ritual with my son---the mother softly describes different ways in which animals would kiss (sloth and her cub: sooooo slooowwwww...) as she tucks her small daughter into bed with an assortment of the very same animals. The illustrations are sweet lovely watercolors, the verse always rhymes without poetic license, the meter scans exactly as it should. Could not be better!
Traci Bold
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
In Ann Whitford Paul's sweet, bedtime book, 'If Animals Kissed Goodnight', children discover how much animal mothers and their babies are alike.

This book makes for sweet dreams for young ones and opens up talk and discussion about much alike animals and people are in other ways too.

A definite 4 star book with lovable illustrations by David Walker.

Published by Melanie Kroupa Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
Maddie Daetwyler
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I obviously can't add every children's book that I have read or regularly read to my Goodreads, but this one is going on the list because of how much I enjoy reading this to my son every night. It makes me feel like parents are all bonded to each other and God wants us all to feel that. This is a big world filled with way more common ground than we give it credit for.
Jenna
Very cute, illustrations-wise, as well as in the writing. However, it was a bit too long for my story time group, so I had to skip a few pages. But the parents appreciated the repeated use of:

If animals kissed like we kiss good night,
Sloth and her cub...
Still...kissing goodnight.
Alice
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was afraid this might be a lame, sappy goodnight book, but this was actually very CUTE! The pictures are lovely, and sloths...well the sloths are everywhere!! The rhythms and rhymes and onomatopoeia are excellent This is a very nice bed time story. I would rate it more a 3 1/2 but I am comfortable with a 4 stars as I did really like it and I don't hand out 5 very often.
Jo
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Is it possible for a book to be too cute? This was so adorably sweet. A little girl and her mom wonder how animals would kiss good night if they kissed like us. The sloth and her cub, since they kiss so slow, end up kissing good night for the entire length of the book. Too funny. The illustrations are soft and bright and so cute.
Sheri
May 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Read this to study the poetry and the style of her text. Short text and lots of pictures. Lots of verbs to use and the pictures were big and round and childlike. Liked the story, too. Study her style as you read her Write Picture Books book.
J-Lynn
Jun 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A bedtime story for young readers that describes how animals would kiss their children good night. There are all sorts of animals in soft pastels. The cartoon depictions make the animals extra cute which young readers will love. A good way to teach animals too.
Nina
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is adorable. I picked it up for my niece, who is small enough that she needs a book she can chew, and her big sister, who loves animals. I hope my sister enjoys reading it in funny voices. :)
Margaret Chind
I love the illustrations, as I love David Walker from Bears on Chairs, but I'm not crazy about the words within. Not awful, but not fabulous either, just ok.
Sandy
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Someone gave James this board book and it's wonderful. It's lyrical and colorful (and not like the photo at all). He doesn't really understand the words yet, but the rhythm is calming to him. Love it!
Molly
Jan 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is one of those sappy books that people love to buy for other people. It is all about animals kissing and I wish I did not enjoy it but count me among the sappy. Animals should do this.... I now believe animals do do this. Ages Birth+
Jessie
May 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, baby
This book has a pretty good rhyme to it. It shows lots of different animals and tells how they would kiss good night. It is a little long for my allmost 2 year old, but he does enjoy seeing the different animals.
Caroline
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Different animals kissing good night.

This one didn't go over as well as I might of thought. There is a bit more of a narrative but it didn't engage the kids much. I liked this one better than they seemed to.
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • I've Seen Santa!
  • Gingerbread Mouse
  • The Biggest Kiss
  • Harris Finds His Feet
  • Where Are Baby's Easter Eggs?: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Alphabet (Paula Wiseman Books)
  • The Moon Shines Down
  • Wonder Bear
  • Me and My Dad!
  • Ten Little Fingers (Baby Board Books)
  • This Is the Firefighter
  • Go to Bed, Monster!
  • Dig Dig Digging
  • Josephine Wants to Dance
  • All Kinds of Kisses
  • First 100 Animals
  • How Do You Hug a Porcupine?
ANN WHITFORD PAUL, author of 'TWAS THE LATE NIGHT OF CHRISTMAS has always been crazy for Christmas, but overwhelmed by it, too. Afterwards she is worn-out and dreams that someone like Mrs. Saint Nick could help her out with the resulting chaos and mess.

Ann graduated from the University of Wisconsin and Columbia University School of Social Work. She became inspired to write picture books after yea
More about Ann Whitford Paul...