Start by marking “Warlock in Training (Studies in Demonology, #1)” as Want to Read:
Warlock in Training (Studies in Demonology, #1)

Warlock in Training

(Studies in Demonology #1)

Angus Donohue doesn’t want to be a warlock. He believes draining demons for magic is evil, but it’s a dangerous opinion to have—his father is a powerful and well-connected warlock, and Angus is expected to follow the family tradition.

His only way out is to fail the demon summoning class. Failure means expulsion from the Warlock College. Despite Angus’s best efforts to fumb
Paperback, 1 edition, 226 pages
Published February 14th 2017 by DSP Publications

To ask other readers questions about Warlock in Training, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warlock in Training

Start your review of Warlock in Training (Studies in Demonology, #1)
SheReadsALot
4.5 HEARTS--I knew this author's first novel would be great. It was magical.

This isn't my first T.J. Nichols; all previous works were urban fantasy/ paranormal short stories: The Vampire's Dinner and A Wolf's Resistance . Both works had great world building and paranormal ideas. The same can be said for Warlock in Training. But what I wanted to see is what the author could do with something novel length.

Not disappointed.

Earth has changed, new countries have formed and magic is known. Well
Kazza
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fantasy
Between 2.5 and 3 stars.

This was a conflicting read for me, on one hand it reads as Young Adult but there is sex and blood play, neither are terribly exciting, dark or sexy. There is even an orgy but it's the least orgy seeming of orgies I've ever read - I'm kind of glad in a way because Angus just seemed so young. I really don't mind the lack of stimulating sexual activity, I'm more about fantasy/paranormal world building and storylines at this point, what I do mind, however, is feeling like I'
Karen
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 magical stars rounded up to 5 because still 1/2 stars here on GR and dragons!!!

Uuuuummmm...excuse me, but where do I sign up for book #2?

Because I want it...like yesterday...now would be good but yesterday would have been even better because then I could reading it now.

I admit this book probably isn't for everyone but when I saw the blurb I was curious and fairly certain it would work for me...well, that was an understatement. I loved it. It's magic and wizards, warlocks, mages, demons
Kristen Burns
3.5 Stars

Full Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book from the publisher. This has not influenced my review.*

This book didn’t really click with me in the beginning, but I ended up getting more into it as it went on. I still have some mixed feelings about it though.

First of all, there was a lot of sex just for the sake of including sex. I mean, it had an explanation in the story (they were using sex magic to rebalance the realms), but, if we’re being honest, it was in the book just for the sake
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.3 Stars

For a book I originally had little to no intention of reading I am more than just a bit surprised by how much I actually liked it. The world-building was tight and detailed, the premise engaging and interesting. With this kind of potential I am definitely looking forward to the next one.

I'm too tired right now to do a more in-depth review but here's the text of my comment about the orgy scene and a potential love triangle from the Buddy Read thread:
(view spoiler)
Chris, the Dalek King
Angus Donohue never wanted to be a warlock–a magic user who gets most of his power by using a demon–but his father has ideas about how Angus’ life should be lived and let’s just say self-determination is not involved in any way. That’s how Angus finds himself in college training to be a warlock and failing miserably at failing to be said warlock. When his purposefully botched summoning actually results in him summoning a demon from the other side he is confused a more than a little disappointed. ...more
Jeydon Marshall
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
description

“Saka wasn’t his lover; he was his demon, which made Angus his human. In that moment he glimpsed what the demon-human relationship should be. The use of magic, then its return. All balances kept.”

Earth / Humanside isn’t what it used to be. Magic is common knowledge but not everyone can wield it. Those with magic abilities attend college to become Warlocks where they learn to summon their own demon and use it as a power source.

Wizards are practitioners of magic who choose not to use and drain de
Steph ☀️
Just a FYI: Here are a few things to mention before reading the book:
1. This story is more Mystery/Suspense with a dash of possible romance thrown in.
2. There is an orgy takes place in Chapter 24 (83% mark), where there are two BRIEF mentions of MF interactions.
3. We are left with a cliffhanger.

Wow, just wow! This is my first book from TJ Nichols and she does not disappoint. There is soooooo much awesomeness in this book it is ridiculous. The author spares no expense when it comes to the
Evan
Jul 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, urban-fantasy
Overview:
I had high hopes going into this book, but it very quickly took a turn that I wasn't expecting. I suppose it's my fault for not reading/heeding the reviews. It's alright, but it has some problems in my opinion.

Characters:
Nothing particularly notable, I thought the characters were rather bland themselves with little personality or life to them. I didn't really get much of a sense of them as people, with some traits thrown on. Angus doesn't really have much of a driving force throughout t
Krissy
I really enjoyed this one. Could have easily been a 5 star book for me if not for Terrence and the orgy scene. If you want me to believe the romance aspect then our MCs can't be fucking other people all over the place after they have already started a relationship with each other. No matter how tentative. I don't care if it's a "ritual" or not. That is just my personal feeling on the matter. Other than that the book was fantastic. Love the world building and I look forward to the next book.
DeeNeez
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, glbt
I really love it when an author creates a well, thought out, new world. Excellent world building! My favorite is the Demon side world. The descriptions were so vivid, I could even smell the heat and sand. And I think the real gem of this book is Saka. That is one hot demon. As for Angus, I see a lot of potential for character growth. A good start for a series.
Ulysses Dietz
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
By TJ Nichols
Dreamspinner Press, 2017
Four stars

What a smart, thoughtful book. Fantasy/magic is a genre that can be silly, in a literary culture so altered by JK Rowling (all hail), but Nichols does something really interesting. Dreamspinner was smart to pick up this book by TJ Nichols, another fine Australian novelist.

In our own world, in my nation, we love to demonize the “other,” whether they be gay people, people of color, or Muslims. In Angus Donohue’s world they demonize
Serena Yates
‘Warlock in Training' is an amazing read, and I loved exploring the rules and background of this story’s universe. Here, wizards and warlocks both use magic but in very different ways – wizards draw magic from nature and pay for its use but warlocks summon demons from a parallel existence and drain their magic. The official version that only warlocks are properly trained and “approved” allows political control by a small group of power-hungry, unscrupulous warlocks (idiots, really) who would rat ...more
J1B
Mar 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
The m/f scene totally ruined it for me. I could get over the hints that the demon was bisexual (since chasing true mm fiction is a captain ahab endeavor) but when the 'gay' warlock starts embracing heterosexuality (and his internal monologue confirms this is exactly what's happening), that's where I draw the line. I did finish this one but certainly won't continue the series.
Wende
I loved the world the author created. The demon world was fascinating. Unfortunately the main characters were dry. The emotional interaction was sparse. I hope that changes as the series moves on.
Serena Yates
Adrian Fridge
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice world-building. Solid characters. And a happy ending that's also realistic for the scale of the problems being dealt with.

I liked both Angus and Saka, as well as their chemistry. If I had any niggle, it'd be the pacing of the chapter-to-chapter POV switches didn't always work for me, but it wasn't bad. It never felt like the story was dragging.

Anyway, if there's ever a sequel, I'd be up for reading it.
ItsAboutTheBook
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: whit
Review can be read at It's About The Book

This is another one of those books that in theory I should love. I’m a huge fan of magic. A school for warlocks will suck me in anytime despite the fact I don’t love YA books. I’m easy that way! This is more NA as it’s a college of sorts though. Throw in some demons and other worlds and I’m sold. This book for me however fell pretty flat.

Angus makes a fairly lame attempt at NOT conjuring a demon. A requirement for students to continue at the Warlock C
Em
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm

I actually really liked this. I'm not usually a fan of the magic/warlock MM genre, but this turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Loved the worldbuilding and characters. Can't wait for the next book to see what happens with Angus and Saka. :)
Eugenia
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic 1st in a new urban fantasy series!

Warlock in Training is the first book in TJ Nichols’ Studies in Demonology series. This is the first work of Nichols’ that I’ve read and I must admit that I plowed through it in one day! Nichols created an entrancing binary world where humans and demons interact and work magic. A world which is nearing a tipping point environmentall, one which reminded me of where we find ourselves in our current state of global warming.

In the human dimension, here re
Ali
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review An Alisa Review:

Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5

This is wonderful and thought out story. Angus has been struggling with himself since his father placed him in Warlock College and has been trying to figure out how to get out without just quitting like he wants to. When Saka takes him back to Demonside most of his beliefs and research about the use of demons in his world are confirmed.

Both Angus’s and Saka’s worlds were well developed and I wasn’t questioning
Artemisia
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm really conflicted.
I didn't like the fact it ended in such an abrupt cliffhanger nor did I like that there wasn't any resolve on the romantic triangle. The author tried to make the triangle (- poly ?) - open relationship work, but when you put jealousy on the game then it doesn't work. Other times sex was just sex and then it was something more, and then third parties get involved it was a mess. Someone said the sex was in the book just for the sake of sex and trying to process the book I agr
Jane
2.5 stars. This is a very reluctant 3 star rating. I was really disappointed by this story. Normally covers like that mean I'll like the story, but I just didn't. I'm actually pretty proud I even finished it; I was pretty bored there in the middle.
What I didn't like was that while there is technically a relationship between the two MCs, it didn't feel like it. I'd almost venture to say this was a pwp, except for the fact that the sex scenes weren't overly abundant or that hot... but honestly the
Kari
Hmm.

I enjoyed this book, but it had more than a few things about it that I didn't like, but more as a ykinmkato, than anything else.

Its pacing was also little...odd, making it feel longer than it was. In places, it dragged a bit.

Angus is at a college to become a warlock (NOT a wizard). Warlocks use demons to channel magic to perform spells; wizards don't use demons and are therefore less powerful (and mocked by warlocks). Angus doesn't really want to be a warlock; he'd rather be a healer. (His f
Achim
World Building: although a bit much on the side of sustainability or the effects if it's not cared for the story follows the questions of what if the demons are no spawn of hell but inhabitants of a dimension where magic is so powerful that it's visible; what if warlocks on the human side can open the void between both worlds and summon the demons to take their magic for their own purpose while the demons can't do the same; what if magic is some kind of energy and follows the principles of physi ...more
Elaine White
Book – Warlock in Training (Studies in Demonology #1)
Author – T.J. Nichols
Star rating - ★★★★★
No. of Pages – 226
Cover – Gorgeous!
POV – 3rd person, dual POV
Would I read it again – YES!!
Genre – LGBT, Paranormal, Supernatural

** I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK FOR MY READING PLEASURE **
Reviewed for Divine Magazine

Warnings: an orgy (explicit and with MF and MM partners) as well as pain play, cutting (for blood sacrifice and pleasure, not for pain) and some instances of violence

~

Part of a Series

Wow...the feels
Ashley Martinez (ilovebooksandstuffblog)
Warlock in Training

Intriguing! It pulled me in from the start. I loved the concept this new fascinating world of demons and warlock and magical. I thoroughly enjoyed the characters and loved seeing this grow and discover more about each other and themselves. I can’t wait to see where this series goes.
Kaila
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
i originally wasnt sure about reviewing this one but a friend of mine let me know just how good it was so i decided what the heck right.. and boy am i glad i did.. this was interesting and fast paced.. kept me curious and on the edge of my seat.. very good characters.. humans and demons... together.. learning.. it was really interesting take on magic.. i really enjoyed it and cant wait for book 2.
Karolina Cebula
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Angus Donohue's never wanted to be a warlock, but his fate is sealed when he accidentally manages to summon a demon. As a warlock, Angus should draw energy from them, until there's nothing left, which he thinks is wrong, although he can't talk about it openly. His situation becomes even more complicated when Saka, the demon he summoned, kidnaps him and takes him to Demonside. This event completely changes Angus's life. It turns out that the worlds of demons and people are slowly being destroyed, ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Warlock in Training by TJ Nichols 4 25 Nov 03, 2018 04:03PM

• Demons Do It Better (Hidden Species #1)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)
  • Familiar Beginnings (Demon Magic, #2)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • The Dragon Hunter's Son
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • The Sea (The Knight and the Necromancer #3)
  • The Border (The Knight and the Necromancer #2)
  • Poisonwood (Poisonwood & Lyric #1)
  • Unnatural (The Wrong Alpha, #1)
  • His Prince (House of Maedoc, #2)
  • Witchblood (Kitsune Chronicles, #1)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • Prince of Death (Lords of the Underworld #1)
  • First Moon (Four Moons #1)
  • Broken Warrior (The Weavers Circle, #1)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
TJ Nichols is an avid runner and martial arts enthusiast who first started writing as child. Many years later while working as a civil designer, TJ decided to pick up a pen and start writing again. Having grown up reading thrillers and fantasy novels, it’s no surprise that mixing danger and magic comes so easily, writing urban fantasy allows TJ to bring magic to the every day.

T.J. also writes gay

Studies in Demonology (3 books)
  • Rogue in the Making (Studies in Demonology, #2)
  • Blood for the Spilling (Studies in Demonology, #3)