Start by marking “True Perception: The Path of Dharma Art” as Want to Read:
True Perception: The Path of Dharma Art

True Perception: The Path of Dharma Art

Genuine art has the power to awaken and liberate. The renowned meditation master and artist Chögyam Trungpa called this type of art “dharma art”—any creative work that springs from an awakened state of mind, characterized by directness, unselfconsciousness, and nonaggression. Dharma art provides a vehicle to appreciate the nature of things as they are and express it withou ...more
Published November 11th 2008 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about True Perception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Perception

Start your review of True Perception: The Path of Dharma Art
Rambling Reader
not impressed
Tom Jessen
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
The issue that I find with a lot of Buddhist thinkers is that they are not actually very good writers. To be fair, this could easily be an issue with the translator. Regardless, Eastern thought to a Westerner does not come with immediate comprehension. If the ideas are not communicated clearly, articulately, succinctly it's difficult to pull those tangential threads down from the sky and piece them together in a meaningful way. I think another issue was that these were largely taken from lecture ...more
Loretta
This is a weird mix - it's essentially a collection of talks, and seems less edited than many other of his volumes - in the sense that this really feels much more improvised? Parts of it felt like reading something written by an artist high on hallucinogens. And then there'd be bursts of brilliance. I've come across many of the ideas before, but here they are placed in the particular context of dharma art, which really shines a different light.

I'll be reading this again, dipping into it again.
Andrew Pish
Wonderful read. A Buddhist's perspective on how to approach creating art. Dense, heady, and opinionated. It covers things like one's mindset while creating, philosophies about creating, and categories of creation.
Rebekah Younger
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An essential text to be unpacked over multiple readings on the creative process, perception and living an awake life through meditative practice.
Rita Walton
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved it. Strange, quirky, penetrating.
Andrew Pish
Loved it. It informs how to work in art with genuineness, nonagression, gentleness, and the ability to truly perceive the world before running out and "achieving art." Dense, beautiful read.
Greta
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, spirituality
I really liked this book and got quite a lot out of it albeit on a somewhat subconscious level. I have a feeling a lot of what the author said went over my head. Because of this, I'm most likely going to have to reread it a few times later on down the road and see if more of it makes sense in a way I can articulate. I find it curious that most everybody else has given this book five stars, yet no one has been willing (or able?) to explain why. Maybe they're in the same boat I am.
Sara Gray
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
I've had to learn my lesson once again: 1 dharma book is great, reading 2 in a row is ok, but 3 will turn the third book to mush in my brain. While there were some interesting discussions in here about how meditation can aid the creative process, and how to live art as a lifestyle instead of a hobby, I don't agree with Trungpa's sense of aesthetics at all.
Tim Hagerty
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Opens the mind to see things as they really are without distracting labels.
Lisa
Jan 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: school
Not what I thought it was going to be like but I found some wonderful parts of this book that can certainly be put to practical use both in art and in our Dharma work.
John Kleb
May 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
Never finished it. Too much new age psuedocrap for me. At least I can say I tried it.
John
Jan 04, 2017
Kate
Oct 04, 2014
Lisa
rated it did not like it
Feb 07, 2017
Feb 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative
  • The Mastery of Self: A Toltec Guide to Personal Freedom
  • Bluebird, Bluebird (Highway 59, #1)
  • H is for Hawk
  • Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander
  • A Sand County Almanac and Sketches Here and There
  • A Place In The Woods
  • The Enneagram of Passions and Virtues: Finding the Way Home
  • Wisdom of the Shamans: What the Ancient Masters Can Teach Us about Love and Life
  • EFT Tapping: Effective Healing Powers for Anxiety,Addictions and Emotional Stress Using Tapping Therapy ( 30 day challenge)
  • Whose Body?  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #1)
Vidyadhara Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche (Tibetan: ཆོས་ རྒྱམ་ དྲུང་པ་ Wylie: Chos rgyam Drung pa; also known as Dorje Dradul of Mukpo, Surmang Trungpa, after his monastery, or Chökyi Gyatso, of which Chögyam is an abbreviation) was a Buddhist meditation master, scholar, teacher, poet, and artist. He was the 11th descendent in the line of Trungpa tulkus of the Kagyü school of Tibetan Buddhism. He was al ...more

News & Interviews