Start by marking “They Ask You Answer: A Revolutionary Approach to Inbound Sales, Content Marketing, and Today's Digital Consumer” as Want to Read:

A revolutionary marketing strategy proven to drive sales and growth They Ask You Answer is a straightforward guide to fixing your current marketing strategy. Regardless of your budget, you are almost certainly overspending on television, radio, and print ads, yet neglecting the number-one resource you have at your disposal: the Internet. Content marketing is no longer abou ...more
Published January 17th 2017 by Wiley

Start your review of They Ask You Answer: A Revolutionary Approach to Inbound Sales, Content Marketing, and Today's Digital Consumer
William Aicher
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty good primer on content marketing via educational and informational content. Recommend reading Content, Inc. as a related book.
Emerson Salles
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
It is a great book it shows how great content can bring more costumers and increase your profit.
Cathy
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-books
I read this book for work, but it’s quite good. Basically about content/inbound marketing and radical transparency in terms of pricing, right-fit customers and answering the questions customers really want the answers to.
Grant
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not that good. Very repetitive. Some useful nuggets, but definitely doesn't need to be as long as it is and if you know anything about content marketing already, this is very basic 101 stuff with little in the way of useful analysis/thinking. Some useful nuggets:

-Pricing & cost: be more open to talking about these openly in various forms of content. Yes the prices are likely often changing, yes cost depends on many factors - so talk about those factors!

-The concept of the "80% Video" is good. Ha
Brian Soetaert
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brian's Book Bastion review is up on YouTube! Subscribe! ...more
Namitha Varma

This book has left me with conflicting feelings about its content. While every point it speaks about related to content marketing is 100% useful, the amount of repetition of these points and Marcus's self-promotion and boasting were not easy to get through.

I understood each point the moment they were made and therefore found the reiterations annoying.

The case studies were great, though. Good to know how different companies are implementing the They Ask You Answer principles.

Maybe if
Nicolle Evans
Dec 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My boss bought us both a copy of this book and I actually can't wait to put this in practice. I attended one of Marcus Sheridan's webinars also. It's a very interesting but simple concept and it's very motivating to get up and do some basic content marketing that doesn't seem much but could change the landscape of your sales future. 4.5 stars ...more
Arturo Hernández
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
At its core, the writing of this book is a bit too simple, however the idea that it presents (even though simple as well) is quite revolutionary. I’m definitely applying this ASAP to improve communication with our users at the startup I work at. The book is over 200 pages, I feel it could have explained its objective in 100 pages or so (that’s the reason behind the 4 star review, otherwise this is a must read for any startup head).
Kayleigh Mihalko
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, re-read
They Ask You Answer by Marcus Sheridan should be required reading for business owners and marketers. Maybe even for sales too. I really enjoyed this book and found it very easy to read.
Corey Jordan
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
They Ask You Answer: A Revolutionary Approach to Inbound Sales, Content Marketing, and Today's Digital Consumer by Marcus Sheridan is a book that will make you see a new perspective in marketing. Marcus Sheridan writes this book in order to educate anyone who owns a business to help them move in to this new era of technology. Sheridan writes about how he turned a struggling pool company that was barely getting by into a thriving business which now has to turn away customers because they simply d ...more
Mike
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adulting
So far in my studies I have read at least a half dozen books relating to content creation and management. This is by far the most impressive. It could be "merely" as informative or helpful as the rest of the lot, but where it exceeds expectations is in all the bases that it covers. The author goes out of this way to address any lingering questions that he knows the reader might be thinking as they progress through the text.

Seemingly every concern you may have while reading is addressed. Concept
Mariam Majdoline
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing-books
The Author was able to save his swimming pool company "River Pools" from the economic crash of 2008, only by answering questions since he didn't have money for advertising!
Every question he ever got from a prospective customer went on to his website in the form of blog posts, videos and ebooks, so his website became one of the highest trafficked swimming pool websites in the world.

And in this book, Marcus urges companies to drop the marketing-speak, stop “selling,” and start answering customers
Bruce Harpham
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, marketing
Read this book after it was recommended to me by a marketing expert. Sheridan does well on several fronts. His personal story of saving and then growing his pool business through content marketing is impressive. I also liked the case studies including those from conservative industries (e.g. a B2B company that is used to working with the US government). The book is also excellent in promoting the concept of "assignment selling": sending targeted content to a prospect before a sales meeting and a ...more
Trang Đồng
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
They Ask You Answer is a good book for whoever wants to entry Sales and Marketing. It's open my mind about the real workplace from giving personal examples of authority or some successful people who run the business. How can handle all the difficult questions that salespeople have to answer to customers every day, they might want to trick you, may want to do business with you or maybe they have their own concerns and as salespeople, you have to able to answer all. Show me the relation between Sa ...more
Visnja Zeljeznjak
If I had to pick just one content marketing book to recommend to absolute beginners and small businesses, I'd recommend this one. Not only does it answer the question WHY someone should engage in content marketing, but it also answers the two much harder questions:
- WHAT should I write about? (answer: answer customer questions)
- HOW should I start (answer: the author recommends specific steps)

It's much easier to read one book, but it's much harder to embrace the lessons and dedicate one's time
Brian Senf
Feb 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
Boils down to "customers like having their questions answered" spread out over 50 pages of the author's self congratulatory backstory and then a few hundred pages of case studies with more anecdotes written in a conversational 6th grader's voice.

It reads as a stream-of-consciousness rambling trying to desperately fill up enough pages to look authoritative, with nothing of any importance. If you're been in marketing for more than 6 months, you know everything that is in this book, and you can pro
Nasse
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
As Marcus pointed out in his book, the most common reaction to the book is "This is what I've been thinking all along". That was the case for me too.

A great book. In addition to providing evidence on the power honesty and inbound marketing, it also provides a good conceptual model and process for adding modern digital customer communication into to company business model.

Marcus is clearly a sales communicator and not a writer of great prose. His use of the term "They ask, you answer" went comp
Nathanael
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good read because it avoid the two most prominent flaws of business advice books: no real experience and overblown promises. The author actually did and still does what he recommends that you do. It rings true because his example are real, not simplistic regurgitations of Fast Company articles. He doesn’t minimize the challenges of following his method, and doesn’t over promise rewards for doing so. It’s hard work but worthwhile, is his claim, which is believable because he’s done it. ...more
Rick Hasz
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don’t read this book, devour it!

I recently began work as a freelance copywriter. I actually haven’t begun work yet because I haven’t found my first client in my first 90 days. Something caused me to search inbound marketing on Amazon and this was one of the books I discovered. Since it was one of the newer ones, I decided to read it.

From the very beginning, I was convinced that Marcus Sheridan had the answer for my one-person copywriting shop - The Spirited Copywriter. Having now finished the bo
Mike Nichols
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I believe the goals outlined in this book are spot-on. I feel inspired to create more content for my business that answer my customers' questions. I really believe in the type and depth of the content the author suggests every business should make available through their website. I was hoping for a little less writing spent on evidence and anecdotes, and a little more practical advice to structuring content, dealing with customers that are not a good fit for your business, and advice for sole-pr ...more
Nancy Chiok
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a straight forward book about how to bring forth your business in the digital era.

Even though I don't own a business, it got me started thinking what kind of business i want to do and using his "They Ask, You Answer".

The short chapters help me a lot, and it breaks down so that you follow the steps quickly. On top of that , Marcus shares with us his initial clients using "They Ask. You Answer" from scratch.

I feel as if Marcus is by my side, sharing what he has been through from beginning
Vanessa Glover
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
TAYA has become shorthand for a revolutionary and seminal text on business marketing within my online learning circles. They Ask You Answer by Marcus Sheridan passionately expounds the need to answer prospective client questions fearlessly and innovatively to secure the top spot in a Google search.

Produce all your marketing material to address and answer five essential search areas:
Cost / Price
Problems
Vs or Comparison
Reviews
"Best" or "Top".

If you're not providing the answers your prospects are
Don Snyder
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018_ideaguy
Excellent book and sound advice that goes beyond the content marketing buzzword and focuses on providing value-first advice for people who are doing their pre-purchase research.

I listened to the Audible version of the book and was extremely disappointed in the narrator they hired to read the book. The reader's voice sounds dated (like it's book on tape from the 70s or 8os) and the vocal emphasis seems "off" in many places, and the delivery is robotic and patently unemotional. They would be bett
Scott Warren
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best "marketing" book I have read

Very rarely do I finish a book cover to cover and this one was hard to finish because I would start reading then think "oh I should write a blog answering this question" so I did. To me that is a great book.

I would recommend this to anyone who needs to write content for the web and operates from a place of integrity and trust.

As Marcus would say there is nothing new here BUT his concept is simple and makes so much sense.
Diego Arámburu
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Great igniter for developing ideas within a company. Worth reading if you are looking for insights and practical tips to develop, not theory or terminology.

The role of the marketing agency might be criticized in this book, focusing on the internal development of an inbound philosophy. Nevertheless, I recommend this book for creative directors, journalists, agency owners and different kind of entrepreneurs.
Ashleigh Mattern
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has completely changed the way I think about blogging! Its main idea is so simple, it seems crazy you didn't think of it yourself: Answer your customers' questions. It's shocking how many companies aren't doing this, i.e. hardly any of them. This book made me rethink my content strategy for both of my companies, and for the companies I serve. If you want to see your business succeed, you need to read this book! ...more
Adrian Collins
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Most informative & engaging book from start to finish. Implementing everything can at first feel quite overwhelming but Marcus does a fantastic job of explaining & breaking down / prioritising each element step by step, which makes it all then feel more achievable. Many references to various companies and how this fresh approach to marketing has transformed their businesses. Great read, highly recommend!
Tiffany
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Maybe it’s because I already work in a similar field, but this book didn’t really stand out to me when I was reading it. The plus side is that the language is simple and easy to grasp, but the messages were quite plain to me and lacked a bit of unique flavour to other inspirational business books. Not the worst but definitely not the best in my view.
Jeremy
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Must Read for Those New to Content Marketing

I really enjoyed the book and it has a lot to offer for beginners to intermediate content marketers, but i felt it lacked a punch for anyone who already understands the idea. I would have loved to read more in depth on the content itself, structure, keywords, etc. Either way, a must read for any business owner or marketer!
Michał Kowalski
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5/5!

Really surprised and inspired by this book. Full of insights, examples, case studies, actionable points and all of that served in a very simple and easy-reading way.

Great for sales, marketing and all interested in generating more value and leads through inbound marketing. Totally worth reading.

« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
  • Marketing Made Simple: A Step-by-Step StoryBrand Guide for Any Business
  • The 1-Page Marketing Plan: Get New Customers, Make More Money, And Stand out From The Crowd
  • What the Heck Is EOS?: A Complete Guide for Employees in Companies Running on EOS
  • Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content
  • KNOWN: The Handbook for Building and Unleashing Your Personal Brand in the Digital Age
  • Traction
  • Never Lose a Customer Again: Turn Any Sale Into Lifelong Loyalty in 100 Days
  • Epic Content Marketing: How to Tell a Different Story, Break Through the Clutter, and Win More Customers by Marketing Less
  • Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It...and Why the Rest Don't (Rockefeller Habits 2.0)
  • Launch: An Internet Millionaire's Secret Formula to Sell Almost Anything Online, Build a Business You Love, and Live the Life of Your Dreams
  • This is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn To See
  • The Membership Economy
  • DotCom Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Growing Your Company Online
  • Traffic Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Filling Your Websites and Funnels with Your Dream Customers
  • Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine
  • The Challenger Sale: Taking Control of the Customer Conversation
  • SELL LIKE CRAZY: How to Get As Many Clients, Customers and Sales As You Can Possibly Handle
Called a “web marketing guru” by the New York Times, the Story of how Marcus Sheridan was able to save his swimming pool company, River Pools, from the economic crash of 2008 has been featured in multiple books, publications, and stories around the world.

Since this achievement, Sheridan has become a highly sought after global speaker and consultant in the digital sales and marketing space, working