Start by marking “Beekeeping for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Beekeeping for Dummies

Beekeeping for Dummies

(Dummies)

"Beekeeping For Dummies, 4th Edition" provides readers with updated information on the latest medications (even as recent as 2015 medications keep changing), new hives such as "The Flow Hive," and new non-chemical ways to keep bees healthy (called natural beekeeping).And based on reader feedback, what to do beyond your first season--thinking about your second season.
Published January 17th 2017 by For Dummies (first published February 15th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Beekeeping for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beekeeping for Dummies

Lesli
Dec 09, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beekeeping
Good for the basics, but skims the surface of some areas--like extracting--that really require a bit more depth for the beginner. Also, dogmatic, and "one right way" attitude that spoils things for me. Too much advice on using chemicals.
Tara
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely going to buy a copy of this book. This was very detailed in everything you'll need to start up beekeeping, including blueprints to build your own hive, how to brew your own mead and various recipes.
jimtown
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, farming
Logically organized and very helpful volume for the person interested in beginning beekeeping. I was able to locate the areas of most interest to me and save some of the less vital chapters to read as needed, such as diseases of the bee. Beekeeping for Dummies shows not only the best equipment to use, but some of the less common hives, such as the observation hive. Then it leaves us with links to places to get either a starter kit or the items needed to build or buy and keep bees, including the ...more
Rome Doherty
This is the text for a local beekeeping class. It has more information than I want but I think it will be a good resource.
Maia Castonguay
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a young beekeeper who just started my own honey business, I found this book to be very helpful. It gave the basics on how to do virtually everything in the beekeeping world. Although I have already been in the honey business, these tips and tricks were still very helpful to me as I start my own business. This book was a very easy read and separated the chapters in a way that helped me understand the content to its full capacity.
Overall, I see myself using this book in the future, even after a
Jason M Waltz
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf-advice, nf-growing
excellent, helpful, delivered what I sought. easy to read as all Dummy books are. if you have any interest in bees, this is a great book to start with.
Mark Hartzer
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very comprehensive guide for a new beekeeper, and by and large, it does that job very well. I really liked the color photos as well as the short sections dealing with common issues that one is likely to encounter. BUT, and this is a big but, Mr. Blackiston relies extensively on toxic methods such as Apistan even though he acknowledges that mites might becoming resistant to this form of miticide. Still, it's probably a mostly small point for most people. I think that it is important to ...more
Chris
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great introduction on how to get started
will remain on my shelf for some time i would think. Having just produced my first 20kg batch of honey im looking forward to the next!

Also, this gives you a good look at the role and function bees have in the environment as a whole. Its an enjoyable, and educational read
Michael Lawrie
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a recommended read for the newbie beekeeper and it did not disappoint. The text was clear and the author engaging. He shared a ton of information and made the prospect of starting a hive much less fraught with fear.

It's a "for Dummies" book so it was occasionally corny but also had value added photos, online videos, lists of equipment suppliers and contact information for various Honeybee organizations, magazines and other materials.

If you are going to give beekeeping a go, you could
Nile
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of the "For Dummies" books that I've read and I was very impressed. I had a preconception that they would be super beginner only. It does a great job of keeping things simple and making sure you have the basics but then goes on to discuss intermediate/advanced techniques in a very easy to understand way. I highly recommend it!
Elizabeth
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Informative in an easy way; covers a lot of topics and gives you confidence that yes, you can keep bees (until you get to the disease section....). Good books to start with but I wouldn't use it as your beekeeping bible.
Jennifer Baxter
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My husband accidentally bought the Uk version, so a few things where different. It read all the same though and had the basic foundations any bee keeper should learn and know. Very informative and not what I was expecting for a book for dummies.
Tim
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read and full of info for a beginner beekeeper or those who just want to gain bee knowledge.
Klyon
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learned a alot. Would have benefitted from pictures.
Frank Kelly
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Neither my bees or I can live without this bible of bees.
Hali
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now I know.
Drew Elmore
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apiculture
Good broad-level information and handy dos and don'ts. Primarily geared towards standard hives such as Langstroth. Because I chose a Warré hive, however, there was less specific advice.
Maya Panika
Review to follow
goldslippersandpinkheels
This is like the textbook for beekeeping. Not the prettiest book but it's very informative.
PWRL
Recommended to Jay by: Reviews
“Beekeeping For Dummies”
by Howland Blackiston

Book Review by Jay Gilbertson

Though I would hardly suggest that if you are indeed a beekeeper, that you’re a dummy, for me this wonderful book was just the right place to begin a new (and really sticky) hobby. Since author Howland Blackiston has been an actual beekeeper for over 20 years, I felt that alone was enough proof that the guy knows his bees. Boy does he!
The layout of this particular beekeeping guide was the real deal-clincher when trying t
Dan Moore
May 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bee keepers, apicurist, people interested in honey
I'm not a fan of the dummies books. I don't think I've ever gotten over the "dummies" moniker. Beekeeping for the ignorant might be a more appropriate title as ignorance is simply the lack of knowledge. Being dumb just doesn't seem to be a good thing to me.

As with all the dummies books, it is well laid out. Plenty of margin notes, pictures, etc. The chapters progress very logically for a beginning beekeeper, ending up with information on how to purchase equipment, including the authors own webs
Garrett Zecker
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic book that really hits the nitty-gritty of everything one needs to know to begin the rewarding hobby of beekeeping. After reading this book - a text that not only covers the basics, tools, and behaviors of bees but also the history, heirarchies, anatomies, and various problems and solutions - I feel as though I can go on this journey much more confidently than after I had finished Kidd's Secret Life of Bees. I am really looking forward to the investment and returns on my new hobby and ...more
Heather O'Neill
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided this year that I wanted to keep bees. I got hooked up with a mentor and he recommended this book. After reading this book and talking more to the mentor I have decided to hold off on keeping bees until next year and learn all about beekeeping this year. I thought that this book was a very good introduction to beekeeping. Howland Blackiston covers about every topic that a novice would need to know. I even thought that the book could be useful for those that are seasoned beekeepers, but ...more
C. S.
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Clear, well-written, and easy to understand. Howland Blackiston is clearly an experience beekeeper and a gifted teacher, and his explanations of many hive phenomenon were extremely helpful and complete.

My only quibble, and reason for giving four stars vice five, is with Mr. Blackiston's reliance on "conventional" (newly invented and agribusiness-pushed) practices like prophylactic antibiotics, toxic persistent miticides, and queen exluders. This is what is being force-fed to most of the apiary w
Rob
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Predictably, this was the first book off the pile... As a veteran of other 'For Dummies' books, I appreciate the layout and purposeful progression of the series, and this book was no exception to the rule.

The book comes in an easy to read, understandable format and covers almost the full gambit of topics that a beginning beekeeper may need to know from initial questions and concerns, the gear you need, getting and introducing your bees all the way to what to check for and how to treat problems,
Driftless
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beekeeping
I finally took the plunge this spring (2010). Having talked about it for years, motivated by decades of avid gardening and insectophilia, I have finally joined the rather exclusive worldwide community of beekeepers. But before purchasing any bees - given my complete lack of bee-related experience - I was going to need a lot of help. Fortunately, Beekeeping for Dummies by Howland Blackiston was able to give me just enough confidence to make me crazy enough to pursue this dream. The 350 page overs ...more
Osie Johnston
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for any beginner beekeeper. Beekeeping for Dummies starts with the very basics and goes into the more complicated activities. This was the book that my dad and I used when we just started beekeeping and helped us out a lot. The book starts out with the introduction of if beekeeping is even for you. Next there is a section of the book set aside to knowing the legalities and also ethics of the art. The book then continues to how to start up your hive until its time to harvest ...more
Blackwell Bees
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beekeeping
When I started looking into beekeeping a local beekeeper, Ray, recommended that I read this book to get a basic understanding for keeping bees. It has a lot of useful information on how to get started and really helped me with a basic understanding of how bees function and how traditional beekeeping is done.

Throughout the book there are "All Natural" sections that reference ideas on how to keep bees with less treatments. I don't find these are a good resource for beekeeping with less treatments
Jul
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the first for Dummies book I've read because, well, the title just kind of makes you feel stupid so I've steered clear of them. I'm currently taking a beekeeeping class through a local university and this book is our required reading. (Hah.)

I admit, I've been pleasantly surprised by it and humbled by the somewhat odious title. It makes you realize you don't know anything but you need to and this is how to do it. This book truly covers all of the basics (and very well at that) and paves
  • The Beekeeper's Handbook
  • Keeping Bees with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Tend Hives, Harvest Honey & More
  • The Backyard Beekeeper: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
  • The Practical Beekeeper: Beekeeping Naturally
  • The Beekeeper's Bible: Bees, Honey, Recipes & Other Home Uses
  • Robbing the Bees: A Biography of Honey--The Sweet Liquid Gold that Seduced the World
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Pigs: Care/Facilities/Management/Breed Selection
  • Langstroth's Hive and the Honey-Bee: The Classic Beekeeper's Manual
  • Letters from the Hive: An Intimate History of Bees, Honey, and Humankind
  • Homegrown Honey Bees: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Beekeeping Your First Year, from Hiving to Honey Harvest
  • Honeybee: Lessons from an Accidental Beekeeper
  • Bees in America: How the Honey Bee Shaped a Nation
  • A Book of Bees: And How to Keep Them
  • Your Backyard Herb Garden: A Gardener's Guide to Growing Over 50 Herbs Plus How to Use Them in Cooking, Crafts, Companion Planting and More
  • Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis
  • Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees: Honey Production, Pollination, Bee Health
  • How to Clean Practically Anything

Dummies (1 - 10 of 713 books)
  • Mindfulness for Dummies