Start by marking “Now That We're Adults” as Want to Read:
Now That We're Adults

Now That We're Adults

"Poignant, quirky, cleverly humorous, and infinitely relatable." --Booklist (Starred Review)

Indie B.R.A.G. Medallion Honoree

Awesome Indies Approved

A group of geeky 20-somethings in Scranton, PA, struggle to form post-college identities without alienating each other in the process.

When happy-go-lucky Wade is dumped by his longtime girlfriend, he's left to wonder whether she
Published September 6th 2016 by Plaid Core Productions (first published September 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Now That We're Adults, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Now That We're Adults

Start your review of Now That We're Adults
Eldon Farrell
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-kindle, favs
Where do I begin?

When I read the blurb for this book a few months ago I had the feeling that this would be one of those unputdownable reads; the kind of book that stays with you long after the last page is turned.

I began reading with the highest of expectations and Now That We’re Adults did not disappoint!! I love every aspect of this book so there will be nothing negative in this review. The characters in this book were sweet, lovable, fallible and entirely human. They were real. The dialogue
Ben Mariner
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now That We're Adults is a coming-of-age story, though not in the traditional sense. While none of the characters are children, we get to watch as they're violently shoved from being 20-something post-college slackers into being "mature, respectable" adults through a series of bad decisions, heart breaks, and dashed hopes and dreams. A good book makes you relate to or sympathize with the main character. A great book makes you empathize and connect on some level with every character. Now That We' ...more
E.P.
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When you're in college, you think that those people who've already graduated and moved on with their lives have everything figured out. But then you graduate and move on yourself, and you discover you're still the same person who always were, only with more responsibilities and life choices. How you handle that is up to you.

"Now That We're Adults" is the story of four twenty-something people who are trying to get their adulting game together. Ian and Kat have just gotten married; Ian wants a bab
Christina McMullen
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To be honest, I wasn't sure I was going to relate to the characters in this book, mainly because it's been about twenty years since I was a twenty something myself. But as it turns out, adulting hasn't gotten any easier since I was a brand new grown up. I could see very real shades of my own drama in some of the characters, which was both amusing and slightly cringe inducing.

Each character was real,with a clear voice and intriguing story to tell. I found my sympathies shifting often as the pers
Diane
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent novel that I could not put down. The characters were all so interesting and entirely relatable. I loved getting to read each storyline from each character's perspective as it challenged me to see each scenario from different angles. Loved this novel. One of my favourite reads this year. Hoping she writes another as I'm sure I won't be able to put it down either!
gj indieBRAG
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that NOW THAT WE’RE ADULTS by Lynn Almengor is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money!
Bailey
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book had a bunch of different stories all twisting in to one so it never got boring for me. It deals with real life situations that you can actually relate to. I finished this book in a day. I couldn't put it down and it sucked me in from the very beginning. I'm hoping this author has more books I can find cause this was a winner in my mind :)
Joshua Robinson
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are times when we think we have the direction of our lives pretty well figured out. We're confident we know who we are and how our relationships with friends and family are supposed to operate. Suddenly, everything changes, and we're left reeling in the aftermath, trying to figure out which of those beliefs to hold on to and which to let go.

Now That We're Adults is a beautiful novel about just such a time in the lives of four twenty-somethings. Ian rushes into the traditional life of marri
Dan Burley
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Late teens and up.
Simply put, "Now That We're Adults" is an adept coming of age story... or rather four of them.

The story unfolds by shifting focus between four focal characters - Eleanor, Ian, Kat, and Wade - and their personal struggles coming to terms with the often harsh adult world. Each of the characters and their goals are well-defined and real, as are their trials and triumphs, making each of them intimately relatable right out of the gate.

Kat and Ian are starting out their lives as 'perfect' newlyweds,
Valerie Lane
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
SPOILERS*** Very good writing, but the story left me hating men.
This was a book I picked up at a local book fair. I always have really low expectations for local authors that self-publish, but I must say this author has a talent! Despite my irritations with almost all of the characters, I was captivated by the development. I would recommend.

However, I felt the ending was tied up too nicely- Ian is a complete jerk and I wanted Kat to LEAVE HIM. There is no way that couple would have stayed toge
Jennifer Torre
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so relatable. In college, and even in high school, there is always a sense that the adults around you have it all together. Once you become an adult, you quickly realize that most people are just doing their best to make it through. Sometimes I still can't believe that I have the responsibilities I do, even though I am a full-fledged adult, and have been for some time.

These characters are interesting and flawed. You can relate to some aspect of each character, even if you haven't g
J.J. DiBenedetto
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'd say this is a great first novel, but it doesn't really need the qualifier - it's a great novel, period. Lynn Almengor has written an incredibly insightful and truthful tale of the lives of a group of twenty-something friends trying to figure out what exactly it means to be an adult in today's world.

The book follows newlyweds Kat and Ian, Ian's brother Wade, and Eleanor, a painfully shy young woman who's just moved to town. Over the course of the story, their lives twist and turn in sometimes
Dani
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This felt like the first book about growing up that actually had characters that were not canned depictions from a teenage movie plot. This book was awesome! (And I'm not just saying that because I met the author at MagLabs last September.)I'd recommend it to anyone that likes a good read with a solid plot. Plus being able to live in Pa again through these characters was great. My hometown was a lot like Scranton - a Pa mountain town that has been there for decades. But seriously, read this book ...more
Catherine Lockwood
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was adorable in every way. I really connected with all the characters as they were embracing/resisting adulthood since I am leaving my sheltered college campus life within the next year. I feel like Almengor communicates really well that even in our twenties, we still have room to change and there shouldn't be any shame in changing our mind on bigger life decisions.
Leann Moore
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I flew through this book and enjoyed it. However, I felt like it was very rushed and too "happily ever after" at the end. I loved the premise of posted college "adult" life, and it was amazing until the neatly wrapped bow at the end. It just wasn't realistic for me and some of the characters (Drew) was underdeveloped. I still loved the writing style and most of the storyline.
Ben Mariner
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I'm caught off guard by this book and how much of myself I see in the characters, especially Wade. It's wonderfully written, highly relatable, funny, touching, and you should not miss it for anything. It should strike a chord with any millennial who find out just how difficult life can really be.

You're crazy not to read this book. CRAZY, I SAY!!!
Emily Farrell
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read. So well written and engaging that I can't believe this is her first novel. The characters are so authentic and easy to relate to. Highly recommend reading it. I can't wait for her next novel!
Joshua Laughlin
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was phenomenal. Completely relatable, blending humour and light perfectly with the darker parts of life. I could not put this book down; I finished it in two days. I hope this first time novelist doesn't stop at one.
Leonora
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
i think this is the technically the first New Adult book i’ve ever read! i really enjoyed it but also i care way more about Eleanor than any other characters and i kinda want a while book just about her
Ro Hart
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story covers the time after we leave school and uni.
It’s when we make gigantic decisions that totally affect how we grow as adults.
We see four people whose lives are linked but they all find it hard to get to being functioning adults.
A great story.
Valerie
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
About 20-something's and making decisions and growing up.
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book had some cool ideas behind it, but I thought the characterization was minimal, the plot was eh, and the writing was not great quality. The whole thing was pretty much characters doing uncharacteristic things we know are uncharacteristic only because the author tells us (like (view spoiler)), and then they somehow end up happily ever after anyway. It was still a fairly decent book. Just a bit disappointing. ...more
Julie
Sep 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-fair-finds
A realistic portrayal of new adulthood.
Awesome Indies Book Awards
Awesome Indies Book Awards is pleased to include NOW THAT WE’RE ADULTS by LYNN ALMENGOR in the library of Awesome Indies' Badge of Approval recipients at http://j.mp/AwesIndBK306

Original Awesome Indies' Assessment (5 stars):

Now That We're Adults is a beautifully crafted book that will affect different readers in different ways. For some, this will be a book about a time that has passed you by, before the complexities of adult life fully took over. For others, it will be a tale of the inevit
Meg Eden
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I knew as soon as I saw the cover that this book would be right up my alley! There aren't that many books on being a 20-something, but Almengor perfectly captures this season of life and both its ups and downs. Once I started reading, I had trouble putting it down. Almengor is a strong writer, and I found the four main characters engaging to follow, complex and relatable. I either saw myself or someone that I knew in all of these characters. I found Kat's struggles with pregnancy and motherhood ...more
Isabelle
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book at a book sale for local/new authors. I read the description and thought it sounded interesting. Besides, even if it wasn't that great, it felt nice to help a young, first time, female author. But I was blown away by its realism, and it's quite but deep simplicity. I'm used to reading complicated, crazy stories so this was a nice change. It was basically about real people dealing with real problems. It wasn't sugar coated and never did I think "oh right! Like THAT would happen ...more
Becca
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I walked into the library, saw this book and picked it up without hesitation. I loved it so much, like- probably going to end up buying it, much. The characters are relatable, and it takes place in and around Philadelphia, and for me that's home so it made it even more relatable. Not to mention one characters recurring , "I'll buy you tacos" line (buy me tacos, please?) I'm so happy this was the first book I read this year.
Amanda Cook
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Official Review to come
Devon Anderson
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. The ending was very predictable for me, but that's not always a bad thing. ♡♡
Kim Ammons (youthbookreview)
Seemed like a perfectly fine book, but I DNF'd it because I was hoping for something that spoke to me more personally (I couldn't relate to many of the characters in the book). Not rating it because I didn't finish it, but it's worth checking out if the blurb jumps out at you. And I love the cover!

• Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
  • Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox, #1)
  • Bellweather Rhapsody
  • Postscript: An Unversed Comics Anthology
  • Lullabies
  • The Brightest Star in the Sky
  • A Triple Knot
  • Start by Believing: Larry Nassar's Crimes, the Institutions that Enabled Him, and the Brave Women Who Stopped a Monster
  • The Truth Will Set You Free, But First It Will Piss You Off!: Thoughts on Life, Love, and Rebellion
  • The Tenant (Kørner/Werner #1)
  • Exposure: Poisoned Water, Corporate Greed, and One Lawyer's Twenty-Year Battle against DuPont
  • The Book of Dreams
  • The First Cell: And the Human Costs of Pursuing Cancer to the Last
  • Letters From An Astrophysicist
  • Doctor Dogs: How Our Best Friends Are Becoming Our Best Medicine
  • The Curiosities
  • This Is Where We Live
  • Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)
Lynn Almengor holds a BA in Video Communication from Arcadia University, and previously wrote/directed independent films. Because her parents were right about art rarely paying, she also works as a Web Producer in her hometown of Philadelphia, PA. When not writing, Lynn can usually be found playing video games, watching "bad" movies, or goofing off with her husband and their ferrets.