Start by marking “At the Sign of the Crow and Moon (Sorcery Ascendant, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
At the Sign of the Crow and Moon (Sorcery Ascendant, #0.5)

At the Sign of the Crow and Moon

(Sorcery Ascendant Sequence #0.5)

Ten years before A Crucible of Souls…

In the bustling capital city of the Mahruse Empire, Felicienne Shyrise spends her days as a talented investigator, taking on stolen goods and missing person cases, and the occasional murder the city guard are too incompetent, or too lazy, to resolve.

During nights, she hones her skills playing Dominion, a board game almost as complicated
Published July 2016 by Mitchell Hogan

Start your review of At the Sign of the Crow and Moon (Sorcery Ascendant, #0.5)
Scott  Hitchcock
This was a free audiobook. I really liked book one in the series so doing the prequel was a no-brainer. I didn't love the book but I think part of that was the narrator. I actually think he would be great for a different genre but I didn't love him for fantasy. I could definitely listen to him doing a historical fiction piece from the south.
Samir
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've very much enjoyed this entertaining novella. It throws you in the heart of the action from the start and it doesn't let you go. It's fast paced, intriguing, mysterious and sometimes reminded me of James Bond movies. I loved Felicienne, she's cool, smart and a badass, and she deserved a place among my favourite female fantasy characters.

If you're a fan of thrilling fantasy adventures or a fan of Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, I highly recommend this little gem.
Mitchell Hogan
Jun 13, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: fantasy, have-read
No rating from me as usual (as this is my book), but I thought I'd use this space to say a little more about it.

This is a standalone prequel to my Sorcery Ascendant Sequence series, which starts with the novel A Crucible of Souls. No previous knowledge of the Sorcery Ascendant series is necessary. It is a novella -- just over 20,000 words -- so it's a quick introduction for new readers or a chance for Sorcery Ascendant veterans to spend a little more time with a younger Felicienne Shyrise.
Helen
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a free audio. I haven't read anything else by the author.

The story itself was alright although as I listened to it over four months it wasn't as easy to follow as it could've been! My problem was the narrator; he drawled, he used a rising inflection constantly which made me think everything was a question. So I put it off every time I had a new audio.
Frank
Sep 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This story is set years before Hogan's trilogy. It was a quick and enjoyable story with the same settings and new characters., but not a necessary read for the main story.
I have enjoyed the first two books in the trilogy and look forward to the last book coming out soon.
Kitvaria Sarene
I really enjoyed this novella, that tells us more about Feliciennes past, before we meet her in the main trilogy. It shows how she manages to become an important woman, when she started out as lowly private detective. I liked the story, and loved spending time with her, and her assistent again!
Some parts weren't 100% logical to me, especially in the big finale, but I did enjoy the story all the easy through, so I'll give it 4 stars!
Whitspren
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Money-hungry protag who forgets to eat and exclaims “Bloody ancestors!” too often.
Tatiana
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Considering this is a prequel to a series, it genuinely can be read as a standalone (I've never read the Sorcery Ascendant series, though I plan to soon). The cast of characters were fantastic, and I'm looking forward to possibly revisiting them in the rest of the series. The world was well developed considering the length of the story, and makes me curious to see how it's built upon in the rest of the series.

The narration let me down a little as with most of the characters being female, and the
Bart
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
3GR* - My actual rating is 7 out of 10.
Janice
This was a prequel to the Sorcery Ascendant series and I wonder if I would have enjoyed it more reading it at the end of the series rather than the beginning. At least then, I would have had the benefit of the world building.
Eric
An enjoyable fantasy, with a well realized world and imaginative magical concepts.

The main character is likable, and feels like a whole person. There is clearly history there, but the author doesn't waste a lot of space taking us through every part. A word here, a hint there, and we're left knowing there's more to her than immediately meets the eye.

The game which plays a large role in the plot, dominion, is fascinating as well. It seems a lot like 3D chess, with a complicated ruleset and wider v
Joselyn  Raquel Moreno Burke
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
it was a good introduction to the series, I liked that it was entertaining and deep in some manners, it was pretty cool actually.

the story was pretty well done, a little politic warfare here, death, intrigue and interesting heroes and heroines all well packed in a fantasy action based world.
Quinn
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy

Colour me intrigued! World building is interesting without being boring, the characters are great, and pacing was spot on - didn't feel rushed.
Kate
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
L
Riayl
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable.
Carl Phillips
Oct 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Much better book than the rest of the series as Caladan is absent and the universe has no contradictions (although I noted that this book mentioned the Emperor's immortality - why was it not mentioned in books 1 and 2?!?!?).

Good enough to make me read the next thing Mitchell Hogan writes. Good save.
Delta
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: z2016
The story didn't really grab my attention until nearly the end. I partially think it's because of the slow narration, but I can't really put my finger on it.
Paige Belfield
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
At the Sign of the Crow and Moon is a charming novella which is bound to enchant fans of the Sorcery Ascendant Sequence. With every book Mitchell makes the world seem even more real than our own, and this novella is no exception.
This is a tale that dabbles in crime fiction whilst being firmly grounded in fantasy, and much to my delight gives a better idea of what Dominion actually involves. It is dotted with humour and small details that really bring the characters to life. It is a delight to be
Jonathan  Royan
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a really great novella from the world of the sorcerers ascendance series. If you have read the first two in the series then you will definitely enjoy this back story to one of the characters in the books, Lady Felice. She was not, in my mind, the obvious character choice for a standalone novella but it worked really well and has endeared me to her much more now and I will be looking forward to reading more about her in the 3rd book (shattered empire)

It's fast paced, enjoyable and a must
Jon
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Free audiobook? I think I will! Mitchell Hogan sent out the word last week that this novella was coming out in audio form and the preorder would be Gratis, so I snapped it up. I had a bad experience with my first audiobook way back in '99, and didn't give them another chance until last fall when another author sent me a code so I could review his latest, and I realized I liked it. The format, that is, although his book was good too lol.

Anyhow on to THIS story! I dig Hogan's books and this chara
Helge Lichner
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

The book is well written. However, in my opinion the process of solving the riddle could use more attention to detail to create a tension what is gripping you. The heroine is an unusual type what makes it a fresh story in the genre.
Jean Hontz
Sep 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Probably not a good idea to read this first, even if it was a prequel novella. Now beginning the series.
Pamela
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Will try the first of the series, since this is a prequel of a highly rated series.
Robert
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Fun shorter story set in the Sorcery Ascendant world. Awkward wording at times and not much wow factor. Similar style to Brandon Sanderson but not as epic-feeling.
The UHQ Nasanta
Interesting main character. The narrator's female voices were not too bad but the plodding pace of the narration did not do this audiobook any favors.
Wally

• The Viral Storm: The Dawn of a New Pandemic Age
  • Why Read Moby-Dick?
  • Second Hand Curses
  • de Gaulle
  • Measuring a Meridian: The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa (Extraordinary Voyages, #9)
  • Wizard for Hire
  • Dark Territory (Benjamin Ashwood #3)
  • Loki: Where Mischief Lies
  • Camp Red Moon (an Audible Original)
  • Reborn: Apocalypse Volume 1 (Reborn: Apocalypse, #1)
  • Off Duty (Hazard and Somerset)
  • Training School for Negro Girls
  • The Highlander's Stronghold (Searching for a Highlander Book 1)
  • The Highlander's Keep (Searching for a Highlander Book 2)
  • Alone In The Light
  • Triangulation (Borealis Investigations, #2)
  • Stone Groove (Dale Conley Action Thrillers #1)
*** Signup to Mitchell's New Release mailing list to be the first to hear about new releases, and for bonus chapters of A Crucible of Souls! ***

When he was eleven, Mitchell Hogan was given the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings to read, and a love of fantasy novels was born. He spent the next ten years reading, rolling dice, and playing computer games, with some school and univer

Sorcery Ascendant Sequence (3 books)
  • A Crucible of Souls (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #1)
  • Blood of Innocents (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #2)
  • A Shattered Empire (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #3)

News & Interviews