Start by marking “Rise of the Chosen (Lifeblood, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rise of the Chosen (Lifeblood, #1)

Rise of the Chosen

(Lifeblood #1)

In Sam's world there are two rules. Rule #1: Nobody dies. Protect the living at all costs. Rule #2: Everybody dies. At least once.

The Waking was a global event in which a force called the Lifeblood invaded all humans who died. The few strong enough to control it came back as powerful immortals. The rest let the bloodlust take over and awoke with one goal - to kill.

Newly ap
Published October 4th 2016 by Blue Moon Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Rise of the Chosen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise of the Chosen

Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
I have mixed feelings about this one. I rarely have high expectations from a YA novel, and yet I would not really call this YA.

Newly
☆Stephanie☆
Title: Rise of the Chosen (Lifeblood #1)

Author: Anna Kopp

Publisher: Blue Moon, 2016

Genre: YA Science Fiction

**I received this ARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review**

Review can also be found on my Blog page or TeacherofYA's Tumblr

My Review:

I actually received this book from Digiwriting as I am auto-approved. They sent me an email letting me know that they thought these books would be perfect for me, so when I went on NetGalley, they were already on my shelf. I
Julie

description

I can't even COUNT how many years its been since I have read a dystopian. That genre used to be my shit years ago. Thanks to two massive series that came out ... one with a dashingly handsome gentleman named Four. I need a Four. Maybe two Fours. Anyway ... uh ... if I'm totally honest, I didn't mean to click this book on NetGalley. I received an email about it and clicked it to see what all the excitement was about and BOOM! It added it to my shelf.

Yes. So. First dystopian I've read in quite a w
Uma   ~Books.Bags.Burgers.
( I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review)

BLURB

Newly appointed Watch Guard Samantha Shields has a leg
Magda Żmijan
"Rise of the Chosen" is a fantastic story that pulls you into the world ravaged by the Lifeblood. It's an original tale with vivid characters, surprising plot twists and a refreshing take at zombie-like creatures who aren't always the blood-thirsty beasts you're used to.

Ooooh I've got one thing to say about this book: I love it! The story's awesome!

But seriously, I love the writing style. At first, I thought the introduction with all the definitions wouldn't work, but they fitted in perfectly be
Michelle (Michelle's Book Ends) Shealy
"The Waking was a global event that began when humans who died began coming back to life. "At first we didn't know what to call them. Most call them zombies, but it didn't seem right, because unlike their fictional counterparts, they didn't hunger for flesh, Others called them demons, sent back from the underworld to the world of the living after a lifetime of sin. Ghosts, spirits, the possessed, one thing was certain: the dead were dead no longer." A.J. Hill.......

It's the future, the worst has
Cristina
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The "Rise of the Chosen" book is, in a few words, a book about zombies. The only difference from the zombies we are used to read about is that these ones don't eat people and are called "Woken". Also, they have shiny red veins and eyes. And then, you have the Woken ones who also return from the dead but are such sweethearts - called "Chosen". The most important "Chosen" one is Sam, a girl who returns from the dead with something el
Susan Angela Wallace
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this as an arc from netgalley in exchange for an honest review. In Sam's world there are 2 rules. Rule #1: nobody dies. Protect the living at all costs. Rule #2: everybody dies at least once. Fantastic read. Lots of action from the start,. I loved sam. She was my favourite character. I loved the story. This one was different to all the zombie books I've read. I loved the ending too. I do hope there's more to come. This is a must read and I would highly recommend this book. 5* from me. ...more
Karla
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
There are elements of this book I love and elements I hate. The plot is good, but could have been better. I would have preferred the book take a different direction in the middle but the ending made up for for it.

The likeable characters were disappointingly killed off...

I would be interested in book 2, as I found the first book unpredictable.
Elizabeth Mathis

Newly appointed Watch Guard Samantha Shields has a legacy to uphold. Her father died a hero defending their city and now she wants to
Vera mallard
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
STORY LINE RISE OF THE CHOSEN:

Set in post-apocalyptic Savannah, after a world-wide phenomena, Rise Of The Chosen is an exciting and intriguing roller coaster ride. When the dead started rising, some wanted to call them zombie. However, the zombie of fiction mindlessly ate its kill. Know as The Woken, they are not zombies but just plain mindless super killers of the worst sort. The second type of undead, the Chosen, are rare. The Chosen have the super abilities of the Woken, but still have their
Natalia
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review is up on my blog : https://boookishvegan.wordpress.com/2...

MY FULL REVIEW:
Release Date: 4th October 2016

Genre: Young Adult & Science-Fiction

Read: 26th July 2016 – 31st July 2016

Rating: *****

Such a short book, yet so much happens in it! It was brilliantly written, I really have to give props to Anna Kopp as the ideas and concepts she placed into this book, well this series is original and I have never read anything like it before. It does give off The Maze Runner vibes as in that serie
Kristine
Sep 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Original review can be found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

** I received an advanced readers copy from Blue Moon Publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!**

I'm not sure where to begin with this book. I should probably mention that this is a genre that I often struggle with and I tend to either love or hate with no in between.

This book took place in a post apocalyptic world where there were basically three types of people. There were humans and undead whic
Haley
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buy
My first thought when I started this ARC was “EW, a zombie book! I hate zombie books! They are always the same thing!”

This is nothing like that zombie book. Not even close.

First of all, the zombies–Woken–aren’t running around eating people. They are certainly monsters, and they certainly kill, but no braaaaiiiiins. Secondly, these guys don’t look like maggot ridden grave vomit. Take The Others/White Walkers from Game of Thrones and replace the blue with red, and you have a Woken.

If you take it a
Sharon Jarvis
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rise of the Chosen is a compelling science fiction story with some unusual twists. Well written with easy to follow prose and conversations. While the concept of a future society took a little time to establish it was cleverly developed through the main character, Sam, who is a very likeable and realistic.
Anna Kopp successfully creates a new society which is undergoing change with Humans and two types of 'undead', The Woken who are very dangerous and The Chosen who have great strength but retai
Gabrielle Messier
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This story takes a different approach of the "Zombie" theme, instead of becoming the mindless and flesh eating beings we are accustomed to see, in Sam's reality when someone dies happens one of two things: It comes back as a "Woken" or a "Chosen", the difference being that the Woken doesn't have control of themselves and kill everyone and the Chosen are those few that can retain control after they die.

When the truth comes out about how The Watch (organization that prevents the senseless deaths
Shanice Singh
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you're basing a novel in a completely new world that's foreign to the reader, you either grab the reader immediately or you lose them. Far too often I've been lost but thankfully that wasn't the case in this instance. I was glued to this book from the very beginning. This world sucks you in and it's impossible to get out. I loved every second of it.
My biggest issue (and I need to get this out immediately) is that I had already chosen a love interest for the main character but she was already
Tabby Shiflett
A post-apocalyptic older YA novel that's fast-paced with some intriguing zombie-like characters and fun Sci-fi world-building. Okay, so the female MC may need a little more internal development in the sequel, but her unique "ability" makes for an interesting twist. A good way to start off a new series! I look forward to the next book. Not too shabby for a new author. For Sci-fi readers.

Net Galley Feedback
Rosie
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a free ebook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Summary

A dystopian tale where a mysterious force known as the Lifeblood causes the dead to Wake soon after death. The vast majority become Woken – crazed shells of humans, desperate only to kill. A small minority, however, become Chosen. The Chosen have all the extra strength of the Woken but with the ability to control it. Sam is a human, a member of the Watch – an organisation which monitor the Woken, and her entire world i
Rosemary Standeven
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
This is a zombie novel with a difference. Instead of focussing on the post-apocalyptic destruction of society, where even the heroes are aggressive, gun-toting, paranoid mini-psychopaths (as in “The Walking Dead”) and humanity is in short supply, in “Rise of the Chosen” the focus is on the different stable humanist forms of society that have evolved to cope with the ever present danger of a Woken (zombie) attac
Nicole
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Rise of the Chosen!!! First things first: I received this book through NetGalley.

This is the first book in a series(?), it didn't totally wow me but it got me interested and I take that as a win. I also loved that we got all the explanation out of the way before the actual story started. The book has a prologue that explains the different terms and how the world works. So no information drop while you are trying to get into the story.

Summary: In Sam's world there are two rules. Rule #1: Nobody
Yecheilyah Ysrayl
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

I'm not really into fantasy novels but I do happen to be a fan of the latest Zombie Craze! Unlike The Walking Dead however, Rise of The Chosen: Lifeblood has a much more unique and interesting twist. In this YA dystopian fantasy, Samantha Shields lives in a world where the apocalypse came in the form of people who began to rise from the dead, or The Waking. The Waking wiped out entire countries and changed the structure of nor
Angi
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Autumn
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2016

I received this book via NetGalley to give an honest review.

At first I was weary on reading this story. Just because I wasn't sure really what the book was going to be about truly. You see this book isn't truly about zombies though it would seem like it. It is about the Chosen and the Woken and those that protect those that are living. When we start off the book there is the details between The Chosen, The Woken, The Watch, The Freedom Association and The
Heather Lawson
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Originally posted here: https://heatherreviews.com/2017/01/17...

I wasn’t sure what to expect from this novel when I first picked it up. Zombie type novels can be really hit or miss and I was a little wary going into this one. While there were some aspects of this novel that I felt were a bit contrived, the story overall was brilliant and I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Sam lives in a world where everyone’s life is to be protected at all costs. If someone dies, they’ll most likely come back as Woke
Greg Del Mar
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
There are a lot of "zombie" books making the rounds. It seems zombie themes are everywhere. However, I found this twist on the zombie apocalypse to be different enough to hold my interest throughout the book. I found it tough to put down, and looked forward to chunks of time when I could read more. I liked the author's writing style and pacing, which kept things moving. The story revolves around a pathogen that changes those who die- some succumb to it and become wild-eyed mindless killers with ...more
Karen
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley exchange for an honest review

Summary: Rice of the Chosen

Newly appointed Watch Guar
Chanda
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Overall Assessment:
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It wasn’t your typical “zombie” story-line, which I appreciated. I was also surprised at the f/f romance. Not in a bad way, but just an ‘oh, ok then’ kind of way. Just a head’s up for those of you who need it. I will definitely be picking up the sequel, as this ended on a pretty big cliffhanger. I’m excited to see what happens to Sam.

What I liked:
– A fresh take on Zombies. These are not your slow-moving, ‘BRAAAAINNNSS’, mindless fle
Sophie
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
NetGalley Copy in exchange for an honest review.

What is the Waking? It’s what happens when the dead come back to life. The Watch has the duty to protect the living and battle the Woken, the undead who want to kill everybody, with the help of the Chosen, those who control their urges.

Samantha is a young woman whose father died a hero. She wants to walk in his footsteps and join the Watch.

But life is not just black and white and soon she gets to see what her world is really about.

***

First of all,
Brigitte
Rise of the Chosen is another version of the zombie apocalypse. The undeads fall into two categories. The Woken who suffer from bloodlust and kill anyone in sight. The Chosen who work alongside the human Watch Guards to keep humanity safe from the Woken. Everyone hopes to become a Chosen to live eternally instead of being killed as a Woken!

Sam has just escaped from being one of the undeads and is unexpectedly assigned to a high ranking job with the Watch Guards. Her unit of three has Julian as
« previous 1 3 next »

• Nirvana (Nirvana #1)
  • Sword of Lies
  • Oddly Normal, Book 2
  • Star Trek: Starfleet Academy
  • Poet Anderson: The Dream Walker
  • Jericho Season 4 (Jericho Graphic Novels #2)
  • The Complete Alice In Wonderland
  • Heroes or Thieves (Steps of Power #2; The Kings #2)
  • Flashback: Siren Song (Yancy Lazarus #2.5)
  • The Dreadful Fate of Jonathan York: A Yarn for the Strange at Heart
  • Demon Heart (Darkworld, #3)
  • What the Dead Fear
  • Word Puppets
  • The Heartless City (The Gold and Gaslight Chronicles #1)
  • The Gift-Knight's Quest
  • The Angel Knights (Secret Knights, #0.5)
  • Sword of Deaths (The Scythe Wielder's Secret Book 2)
  • V for Violet
I am a writer from Ohio. I was born and raised in Russia, and moved the US with my family when I was 11. I’m a US Army veteran, a wife and business partner to a software developer, and a mom to two rambunctious boys.

I love reading, writing, and playing video games. I'm a true geek at heart and would love nothing more than to see my imagination become a part of something greater.
“At first we didn’t know what to call them. Most called them zombies, but it didn’t seem right, because unlike their fictional counterparts, they didn’t hunger for flesh. Others called them demons, sent back from the underworld to the world of the living after a lifetime of sin. Ghosts, spirits, the possessed, one thing was certain: the dead were dead no longer” – A.J.Hill” 0 likes