Start by marking “Concealed (Virus #1)” as Want to Read:

Concealed

(Virus #1)

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  122 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Published May 21st 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Concealed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Concealed

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒
My Rating: 2.5

I am a huge fan of apocalyptic stories. I read this book with high hopes. And I am sorry to say I didn't like it much.

This is the first installment in the series. I was hoping there would be more detail about the virus and enough world building. It lacked in both. And when the fun started to begin, the book ended.

I am rounding up 2.5 to 3 stars because I see potential in writer. I hope she gives more details in his second book.

ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest r
Jamie
2.5 stars is a more accurate rating.
This was an alright book. It wasn't bad but it didn't really do much for me. The past was a bit slow but the reading was fast with how it was written. The characters seemed bland and I had just started to get a feel for them when the book ended. Although Josh I never got a feel for. He was just there and the relationship he had with Elaan was just as bad. Now the fathers, and Elaan's relationship to her brother I get better, especially in the second half.

For t
Alley Kat
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was really meh. I never really felt any sort of attachment to any of the characters. The storyline was fairly interesting, and I kinda want to continue the series. I feel like this book ended on a really awkward point. I was finally getting into the book, and a character had been introduced that I actually liked, then it was the end. The writing also seemed a bit choppy to me, which might be why I struggled so much to get into it.
Melanie
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not impressed with this book. Glad I got it for free and that it worked for a challenge. It wasn't hard to read, but it just wasn't anything special. I wasn't a fan of the romance and the characters were just kind of blah...at least to me. The whole virus thing was cool, though, and scary.
Sophia Scarlet
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This compelling story of a young woman caught in the middle of a world wide crisis is a great twist on the post-apocalyptic teen thriller. RJ shows us a dystopian world that is very much like our own but filled with complex moral questions and high stakes. Can't wait for Exposed!
Ash †Reviews of a FearStreetZombie†
When I saw the cover and blub for this book, I was ecstatic. "Yaaaay! A new dystopia zombie book! EEEPPP!!!!" So I dived right in... aaaaand then it all just fell apart.

This book was as fun as watching paint dry or reading the Apple's Terms & Conditions agreement page. There was nothing good about this book. It was just plain boring with absolutely nothing happening.

None of the characters were likable. Not even the main character. She was so whiny and pissed me off to no ends because she wa
chucklesthescot
*I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Before I go any further, I need to make it clear that there is nothing wrong with this book, despite my 2 star rating above. I agreed to review this for the author despite it being YA, which was a concern to me. I used to read a ton of YA but as time has went on, I find that it isn't much to my taste now so I don't really read it. I based my decision to read this on two main things-the virus plot, which I read
Sandra
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The characters are nicely developed. The story builds in interest and pulls you along as you read.

What do you do when people have lied to you and you don't know who to believe? You know you can't stay where you are, but what do you do?

Unexpected twists and turns with tension and suspense keep your interest from start to finish. I have got to get the next one in this series. I received this from the author for an honest review. No compensation involved. WELL DONE!

Al
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2017
More often than not dystopian fiction, at its core, has a political point, taking a current political direction and combining it with a slippery slope argument, to make a point. If there is a political point at the heart of Concealed, I missed it. (We probably shouldn't rule out that possibility.) That doesn't mean there aren't politics going on, but the viruses infecting the world seem more of a natural disaster.

Regardless of what started the spread of the virus, this is a solid story that sho
Veronica
"Concealed" by R.J. Crayton is the story of a pandemic that sweeps the world while a few lucky people including scientists, military officials, and their families are kept safe in an underground facility where they are trying to find a cure. The story centers around a teenage girl named Elaan. Concealed has a double meaning here in the sense that they are concealed from the rest of the world and there are also secrets that are concealed that will rock Elaan's world.
This is definitely a novel th
Sandra "Jeanz"
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
REVIEW
I had seen this series before and had kept meaning to read it. After enjoying my previous read to this which was also from this genre I fancied another post apocalyptic/dystopian read and chose to begin this series.
I find the cover quite striking, from the dark blue stone like colour hinting at the darkness and spareness within the world Concealed is set in. Then there's the red image, logo or however you would personally describe it, which I'd say represents the virus. The byline of "They
Melissa Smith
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Concealed needs to be concealed from the public. The only reason I am able to say that I finished the book is because it is short. But that is the only redeeming quality of this story. The main character was not interesting or well fleshed out. None of the other characters have personality either. It feels like the author was picking one personality trait for each character and that was it. The main character is a teenage female that is tired of being cooped up underground. Then there is her “bo ...more
Lynne Cantwell
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Concealed (Virus #1) - R.J. Crayton Concealed is the first volume in a dystopian YA series about a virus that has turned the world upside down.Elaan Woodson is a lucky girl. The Helnoan virus has infected most of the population. Almost everyone who contracts the disease dies from it, although some recover -- and a handful, like Elaan, appear to have a natural immunity. In addition to her immunity, she is also the daughter of a scientist who's working on a cure for the virus, and because of that, ...more
Lynn Hallbrooks
This is a Kindle Scout nominee that did not 'win' the chance to be part of Kindle Press.

This is a Post-pandemic/Post-apocalyptic Young Adult fiction.

Elaan Woodson, her brother 'Lijah', and their scientist father live underground. A deal was struck to keep them from getting the pandemic virus that is spreading above them like proverbial wildfire. The scientist is searching for a cure and Elaan may be an answer. Yet, 17 year-old Elaan seems to do more of the care-taking than anyone else. She also
Andrea
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Marta Jordon
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a good book. Intriguing from the beginning and it just got better and better. And the end! Whoa. I can't wait until the next one comes out. A real quick, good read.
Rebecca
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-s, reviews
Elaan Woodson lives in the Scientists Protection Complex. Which is effectively a military compound filled with only 42 people, consisting of military officials and their families for the most part. Of those 42 people, only 2 more are close to Elaan's age. And one of them is her brother! Why are they there? A deadly virus known as the Helnoan Virus is wiping people out. Fast. And this facility is being used as a research facility to help find some answers.

The researchers aren't the only ones who
Paige Green
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I received these books from netgalley. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Rating: 3/5

Publication Date: May 21, 2016

Genre: YA Dystopian

Recommended Age: u/n as DNFed

Pages: 204

Author Website

Amazon Link

Synopsis: They said it was extremely hard to get. They said it wasn't airborne. They said there was nothing to fear. They were wrong. Seventeen-year-old Elaan Woodson was supposed to be one of the lucky ones. She got one of the few spots in the subterranean protection unit designed to keep se
Jodie "Bookish"  Cook
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Now I loved dystopian novels and concealed immediately jumped out at me and I couldn't wait to request it. This is a truly compelling story about a young woman stuck in the middle of a worldwide crisis as she tries to survive. This novel is a great twist on the post-apocalyptic thriller and I found it to be very refreshing in an all but used up genre. The characters are all nicely developed and the story ebbs and flows constantly pulling up in further and further into the story.

I enjoyed how Ms
Jessica
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
What a great idea for a story- the human world is dying quickly and scientists have been placed in a 'protective' bunker with the hope that they will be able to find a cure to the pandemic racing across the world.

I have to admit- more often than once I wanted to punch Elaan in the face. Stubborn, and sometimes very childish if she doesn't get the information that she wants but I can deal because you can't help but want to know yourself.

Also, Elijah. The book goes between calling him Elijah and
Ami
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Although this book's events take place during an apocalyptic time, it has little to say about the actual apocalypse. It is a personal story of two families. Unfortunately, the book ends before the characters are well-developed and the story had just started to be interesting. There is a preview of the next book at the end and some of the answers I wanted are in the first chapter. I decided to read it right away to see what happens next.

I read this via Kindle Unlimited.
Eloise - BookPolar
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-read, dystopia
The story centers around 3 teenagers; brother and sister Lijah and Elaan and their friend Josh. After the world is plagued by a deadly virus, their mothers are now dead and their scientist fathers are desperately trying to save the world in a now post-apocolyptan planet.

I love any dystopian/speculative fiction, it's definitely my go to genre. Be it zombies, robots, virus or natural disaster I am their with a front row seat and this series didn't disappoint.

With the world in pieces and the select
Alex Rowe ----Captain Valour
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dystopian fans
This is a dystopian book, and I couldn't resist not picking it up since I love all things dystopian. Takes place in the real world, but underground in a unit for people who haven't been infected by the disease yet. But when they realize their country is going to betray them and use them as lab rats, they get out as fast as they can.

This book was read in the entirety of a day, by grasping me and pulling me in and not letting me go. I got to admit, I wasn't quite sure what I was expecting when pi
Joanne
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A deadly virus is sweeping the planet. Scientists working on a cure for the virus are isolated underground with their families. This book focuses primarily on the three teenage children of the scientists: Elaan, Elijah, and Josh. They are normal teenagers caught up in a terrible situation. The story is told from the perspective of Elaan, the daughter of the chief scientist. Elijah is her brother and Josh her would-be boyfriend. Teenagers are teenagers even in the apocalypse.

I have to say somethi
Uma  ♥ Books.Bags.Burgers.
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arr, dystopian
(I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.)

BLURB

They said it was extremely hard to get. They said it wasn't airborne. They said there was nothing to fear. They were wrong. Seventeen-year-old Elaan Woodson was supposed to be one of the lucky ones. She got one of the few spots in the subterranean protection unit designed to keep select scientists, military officials and their families safe from the deadly virus ravaging the world above. But, how luc
Nerina
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I will not be continuing this series. It had a good concept, however it was not really entertaining. It was a book containing chapters that were basically fillers. The characters, especially Elaan the main character was dry and not even interesting.
A.B. Shepherd
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Elaan is a character who is not only clueless, but deliberately kept in the dark. Frustrating for her and the reader. My biggest complaint, and what really lowered the rating for me though, is that the author just dropped this book ending without even a minor plot resolution. That's an awful way to write a series and it pissed me off when I read The End.
Carly Kirk
Well heck....

Well, the story hooked me.... about halfway through I told myself I wouldn't be getting the 2nd one, but I got to the end and totally have to find out what happens next!
Donna
I really liked this book, about a young girl, her brother and a rich boy who she likes. The world has been brought down with a virus but the immunes are housed in a facility. She is one. I am reading the second book now.
Kristie hunter
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

The concept is good as well as the characters. I hope the secrets will come to light in the next book...exposed.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
RJ Crayton is the author of the three book series. The Prophecy of Light series includes Trapped, Unleashed and the soon to be released Foretold. The Virus series includes Concealed, Exposed, and Contained. The fast-paced dystopian Life First series include Life First, Second Life and Third Life:Taken. She's also author of the paranormal novel Scented and the short-story collection Four Mothers. P ...more

Virus (3 books)
  • Exposed (Virus #2)
  • Contained (Virus #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Chronicles, #1)
  • 14
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)