Start by marking “The Undateable (Librarians in Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Undateable (Librarians in Love, #1)

The Undateable

(Librarians in Love #1)

One San Francisco librarian would rather check out a good romance than dare to experience it herself. Luckily, her own next chapter is full of surprises…

Melissa “Bernie” Bernard isn’t familiar with fame. After all, she works at a college library with hardly any visitors. But when a video of a marriage proposal in her stacks goes viral, it’s not the bride and groom w
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published February 28th 2017 by Zebra Shout

To ask other readers questions about The Undateable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Undateable

Start your review of The Undateable (Librarians in Love, #1)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

Way more than what I was expecting from the cover, this book reads like a trendy contemporary adult romance with an interesting female MC and a lot of #feministpower elements.

The Undateable was my first read from Sarah Title, and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The cover looked a bit tired, if I'm being honest, and didn't reflect the freshness of the story.

Bernie is a somewhat of a modern-woman stereotype. She is so concerned with not "dressing to please the male gaze" and being comfortable
Sara
Melissa "Bernie" Bernard is an academic librarian at a small college in California. She likes her life. She has a great job, good friends and things are nice and quiet. They also aren't very exciting and her biggest decision of the day is which grey skirt goes better with her clogs. Still, predictable is good. Predictable is safe. Predictable is, well, predictable!

But when a flash mod marriage proposal takes over the library one day a random photo of an annoyed Bernie instantly becomes an inter
K.
Trigger warnings: I honestly don't think there's anything??

Look, the second I discovered that there's a series called "Librarians in Love" and that the books were $1.40 each on Kindle, I was obviously going to read this.

Was it incredibly predictable? Yes. Did I know how it was going to end before I was two chapters into it? Obviously. Was it a hell of a lot of fun? Decidedly. Did it make me actually laugh out loud? Yup.

Basically? Bernie is an academic librarian. When a flashmob ends in a prop
Jackie
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I received an ARC from the author, who is a fan of my ROMANCE NOVELS FOR FEMIINSTS blog. Thanks, Sarah Title!

Despite its category romance-style cover, this is really more of a romantic comedy, or perhaps straight-out comedy, than a romance. Feminist college librarian Melissa "Bernie" Bernard gets caught frowning at some misbehaving students and finds herself the star of a "Disapproving Librarian" Internet meme which goes embarrassingly viral. Colin Rodriguez, a writer who works for G
Rebekah
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WHY CAN'T EVERY BOOK BE LIKE THIS? Smart, laugh-out loud banter with real representations of people who live in this century. AHHHHHHHHHHH!

"I like to have something to strive for."
"To strive to change my mind about diminishing myself to make a man look good?"
"To convince you that making yourself vulnerable to love doesn't diminish you."

Bernie is a librarian who doesn't get dressed to please the male gaze (#femgasm). Colin is a privileged writer who never gets turned dow
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This was a nice change of pace. I've been in a major reading funk and this helped to get me out of it. It was an easy read and the characters feel very realistic and modern--very millennial. Not my usual cup of tea, but this proves I need to drink some different tea more often.

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur Magazine. http://affairedecoeur.com.
Jess
3.5 stars.

I really enjoyed this book, and at some points it was laugh out loud funny. Bernie is great and I love her gradual bit of self-realization.

But how the hell does a woman go on 30 dates in as many days in San Francisco and only date white dudes? There's mention of one named Jamal in passing, but who knows, he could have just been a hipster. A couple of the people at Glaze /might/ have not been white, and while the hero's last name was of Hispanic origin he seemed
Ellen
I couldn't resist trying this book since the main character is a single librarian my age...but I don't generally like flat out romance books and this book reminded me why. It was predictable, had little character development, and was completely unrealistic. I think those who like romance could enjoy this more than me. I like my books to be another genre and have romance added in. This book was readable, but not really something I liked.

Content warning: lots of sexual discussion and one sex scen
Amanda
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Well it's official, RavenclawReadingRoom can convince me to buddy read anything with her.

Was this book good? No. But was it enjoyable? Yeah, kinda, OK it was. It's cute and fun and incredibly ridiculous and predictable in parts, but I enjoyed it and I'll probably read the other two. Bernie is sort of badass in her own way and Colin has his moments. I guess 2018 Amanda likes feminist nonslut-shaming romances? I think I might be OK with that.
Sam (AMNReader)
A unique premise and likeable characters, along with my favorite kind of arguing-all-the -time through their attraction couple make this book a solid 3-3.5 stars. It was a well-executed book overall, though at times it felt a little long.

It may have been higher, but I really love the development of a relationship in a book, and theirs was built while the heroine was dating other men. This left me with fewer butterflies and anxious moments than I tend to like in my romances (this migh
Erin
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m not a big romance person. And that’s not some stupid judgment call like when people say “oh, I don’t have a TV.” It’s just that I’ve disliked more romance novels than I’ve liked. But this was very cute and sweet and inoffensive and fun.
AnnMarie
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Undateable is the first book in the Librarians in Love series by Sarah Title.

Melissa Bernard, AKA Bernie, is a librarian. It's her ideal job and she's very good at it. Nothing very unusual happens until one day a flash mob are in the building. Bernie isn't happy about it and unfortunately for her, her disapproving glare was captured for all time in a photograph. That photograph was immediately turned into a meme quoting 'Disapproving Librarian Disapproves'. Bernie is horrified wh
Saly
Amber
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, 2018
Not horrible, but pretty meh. Nice to read something fluffy and ridiculous while I'm adjusting to the new job.
Janet Robel
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Super cute! Enjoyed the story and the main characters. Looking forward to reading the next title in this series.
Mandi Schreiner
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This is a pretty cute book - I adored both h/h --- but --- I wish there had been more emphasis on the romance between them. I like that they get to know each other so well but the actual romance lacked.

Review coming
LJT
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
The Undateable by Sarah Title, is a cute story with some very funny moments. I requested this novel because of the book blurb and pretty cover. This is the first novel in the author's brand new series, Librarians in Love, and it can be read as a standalone.

Bernie Bernard loves her job as a college librarian. She thrives on helping the students with their research, in addition to the hustle and bustle of the reference desk. Her frumpy appearance contributes to the librarian stereotype
Mike
Apr 06, 2017 marked it as not-interested  ·  review of another edition
DNF @ 45%.

I found the hero to be a douche, the fashionistas around the librarian to be rather misogynistic (Big girl shoes? Really?), and the heroine to be paper-thin in her feminism.

As a feminist librarian who has moved between the worlds of being very frumpy/dowdy/not caring much about my appearance to high fashion (cutting edge gay clubs) and somewhat back again, I was very excited about the description of the work. I was rather dumbfounded when the fashionistas mocked
MB (What she read)
2.5 stars. I enjoyed Bernie's "take no prisoners" personality, but found the plot kind of improbable and silly--particularly at the end. Younger readers will likely find this more to their taste.
Angela Hart
This book wasn't for me.

I don't mind strong-willed or out-spoken characters. But our heroine, Bernie, was always stating her beliefs, over and over again. There is this divide among women at times. If you wear makeup and like to shop, you are not a feminist. Bernie made a lot of passing judgements, which made it more difficult for me to relate to her (or root for her).

In the same manner, I remember reading an article about "She's All That," (the1 990s movie) and how the more the fem
Teresa
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maybe overall more of a 3.5 but rounded up because the writing was just so intelligent. I think the only issues I had were that the book was fairly low key and sometimes slow, not much highs or lows, and that the premise didn't leave a lot of time for the two main characters to build their relationship until closer to the end.

But the fact that this author could build an entire story about a woman who became a meme, and social commentary on how people will say dumb things like if only
Jane
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
It's safe to say that I am not the intended audience for this "new adult" romance. It reads like the author swallowed a "new adult" Facebook thread, with references to "adulting," "Netflix and chill," "resting bitch face," "librarianing," etc. etc. Also, when we meet our hero, he is awakening from a blackout drunk, something I didn't find attractive when I was 18, much less now. Although it's supposed to be sending a sort of "librarians aren't stereotypes" message, it also plays into librarian s ...more
Natward1yahoo.com
May 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Didn't finish after page 56. This book just could not keep my interest. I like that it has a unique plot. But the writing needed some help. It wasn't poorly written or anything, but the author fell into the trap of being too explainy with her characters inner monologues. They go into too much detail and over explain and talk about things that I don't really care about. I don't need to hear in great detail about every little thing and about the back story behind every little thing and the back st ...more
Misti
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
When Melissa "Bernie" Bernard's disapproving expression becomes a meme, it leads to a variety of uncomfortable and embarrassing situations, including being featured in an online fashion magazine's "30 Dates in 30 Days" series. For Bernie, it's an opportunity to prove that she's more than the grumpy face that the photographer captured during that flash mob. For reporter Colin Rodriguez, it's a last chance to save his career. Neither expects to find love, but this is, after all, a romance novel... ...more
Abra
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
I loved this book. I go to the Romance Times Booklovers' Convention and I bring home a lot of books, which I dutifully read. Some are terrible, some are fine, and sometimes you get a jewel. This book is a jewel. The writing was smart and I laughed out loud several times.

Bernie is smart and funny and she feels like she's fine being herself without trying to make herself up to someone else's standards. She's articulate and makes many very good points. The story is true to Bernie and sh
Elley Murray
Rating: 2.5 stars

It's never a good sign when you're checking how many pages are left until the book is over... Part of the plot is Colin trying to make Melissa "Bernie" Bernard relatable to the audience of Glaze, the women's magazine he writes for, which is ironic because I didn't find her relatable in the least. Actually, all of the characters were very flat, like cardboard cutouts of people. This also read as really dry and just was NOT for me.

I DID like that it was about a librar
Allyson Faith
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I wanted a fun, quick read and this delivered. I enjoyed the humor and often laughed out loud. I enjoyed the librarian, Bernie (her nickname), and the male hero, Colin, is a pretty nice guy, also with a good sense of humor. I just wish he’d been a little less boy-man. He lives in his parents’ house rent-free, and we first see him hungover after hanging out with college kids on an evening he can’t even remember. Maybe the author wanted us to see his growth as well as Bernie’s? Could be. But he di ...more
Alexandria
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bernie is a college librarian who is caught with an unfortunate expression during a proposal. Personally, I completely understand Bernie's attitude toward it, but unfortunately, she gets some bad press because of it. This attractions the attention of Colin and an online fashion magazine. She agrees to go on 30 first dates in 30 days. Bernie's dates have a little something for everyone. She and Colin learn more about themselves and each other over the month that they are together.
Sheridan
Apr 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I bought this by accident after clicking on it because I liked the title ("Librarians in Love", how sweet!). Then I started reading it and read the whole thing. It's not great, but not bad. This is a low-drama, cute book -- the reading equivalent to watching a safe romantic comedy on Netflix. There are some cute parts and I mostly liked the characters. I'd recommend this book if you're looking for a nice, low-pressure, forgettable read.
Briard
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, chick-lit
Uber cute with a steady romance, and I like a good librarian MC.

This definitely isn't a fast, lustful fling, but the banter between the two leagues was amusing and their growing relationship sweet. Sure, it's a bit of an obvious read and plays up to current trends, but sometimes, that's the kind of book that you want and the kind of book that makes you laugh or inwardly cringe.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Taking the Heat (Jackson: Girls' Night Out, #3)
  • Trouble When You Walked In
  • Sweet Magik (Klaus Brothers, #2)
  • Tempting the Earl (The Muses' Salon, #3)
  • Dictatorship of the Dress (Much "I Do" About Nothing, #1)
  • Down and Out in Beverly Heels
  • Chance of a Lifetime (Harmony, #5)
  • A Bed of Scorpions
  • Live (Burnside, #1)
  • Crazy in Love at the Lonely Hearts Bookshop (Lonely Hearts Bookshop, #3)
  • A Place Called Home
  • Wicked Temptation (Nemesis, Unlimited, #3)
  • Pleasure Rush  (New York Sabers Football, #4)
  • My Hero
  • Lavender Lane Lothario (Berger and Mitry, #11)
  • Live and Let Love (Agent Ex, #3)
  • Rafe, The Maverick (The Shamrock Trinity, #1 / The Delaneys, #1)
  • Prejudice & Pride
Sarah Title has worked as a barista, a secretary, a furniture painter, and once managed a team of giant walking beans. She currently leads a much more normal life as a librarian in West Virginia. Kentucky Home is her first novel.

Librarians in Love (3 books)
  • Falling for Trouble (Librarians in Love #2)
  • Laws of Attraction (Librarians in Love, #3)
“(was this a thing the kids were doing, Bernie wondered while reminding herself that she was only thirty-one, still a kid, maybe).” 0 likes
“Never read the comments, she reminded herself. The” 0 likes