Start by marking “Expecting to Die (To Die, #7)” as Want to Read:
Expecting to Die (To Die, #7)

Read Book

Expecting to Die

(To Die #7)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,925 ratings  ·  271 reviews
The menacing woods of Grizzly Falls, Montana, are not for the faint of heart. But for some, they're the perfect setting for partying and pranks. They don't know there's a rapt audience amid the tangled trees, a killer with a different kind of game in mind, for whom the woods are dark and deep and perfectly deadly.

Some places earn their bad reputation through tall tales or
Published February 28th 2017 by Zebra (first published December 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Expecting to Die, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

really liked it 4.00  ·

Linda Strong
Deputy Regan Pescoli and her daughter, Bianca, get involved in a murder investigation when Bianca stumbles over a corpse in the woods. But this won't be the only body. Regan is pregnant and close to going out on maternity leave. Emotional, exhausted, and still dealing with her ex-husband, the last thing she wants is to have to face another serial killer.

And when media advances on the small town with a reality show, things only get worse.

And someone ...or something ... is watching it all.

Although
Erin
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A group of teenagers gather to play a game of hide and seek and instead find the body of classmate, Destiny. In fact, the teenage girl that finds the body is none other than the daughter of Detective Regan Pescoli. Bianca tells her mother that just moments before discovery the body that some type of Big Foot/Sasquatch type creature was chasing her. Pescoli wonders "Did my daughter see Destiny's killer? " As the police search frantically for more clues, more young women go missing, the killer get ...more
Book Him Danno
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I struggle with this review because this is the first book I have read by Lisa Jackson and it is book in a series.
This story seem to just trug along and at times with the endless backstories that I am sure are for first time readers to the story but honestly just got this reader lost many times over. I am not sure I could count how many different characters were in the book and some that were not necessary at times. I get that Detective Regan Pescoli is an angry woman and pregnant. I couldn't c
Janet Robel
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Ms. Jackson does a phenomenal job of crafting edge-of-your-seat suspense. I've been a fan ever since I read Deep Freeze. This book gets your heart pounding and keeps you reading well past your bedtime. Pescoli and Alvarez make a great team and kick ass when it comes to taking down the bad guy. The murder investigation is proving to be quite tricky in this case, not to mention a Bigfoot sighting that is a puzzler.
Bookread2day
Only daughter Destiny finds out she's eight weeks pregnant, she couldn't tell her mum and dad or the father of the baby as he would be pissed. She needed to tell her boyfriend Donny that she's pregnant. Destiny told her folks that she was going for a walk, but was really meeting up with Donny in a remote area of woods. Destiny and Donny have an argument, and Destiny ends up having to run,run, run! for her life to save her and her baby.
CD {Boulder Blvd}
3.5 Stars

This was a quick read for me; I was immediately pulled into the story and through most of the book didn't want to put it down. There were moments or stretches where the story lulled (hence the rating). At some points in the police investigation, the investigation felt like Selena and Regan were spinning their wheels. I know this happens in real investigations and it did fell real to the story. However, in a story this is where the side plots need to keep you involved and the story inter
Kay*FindMeInThePages*
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Expecting To Die, the seventh Pescoli and Alvarez novel, is set in eerie, dangerous Grizzly Falls, Montana. There a group of teenagers are playing in the woods when Pescoli’s daughter finds a body of a classmate while being chased by “bigfoot”. This sighting brings in a reality show that makes dealing with this and the following disappearances harder and harder to investigate as the deceits and sensationalism grow.

This was another good read by Lisa Jackson. It can be read as a stand alone, howe
Elaine Tomasso
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Kensington Books for an advance copy of Expecting To Die, the seventh Pescoli and Alvarez police procedural set in Grizzly Falls, Montana.

A group of teenagers meet in the woods at night to do whatever teenagers do and Bianca Pescoli gets separated from her friends and is chased through the woods by a big, hairy, smelly beast till she reaches the creek and literally stumbles over a dead body. Her mother, Detective Regan Pescoli doubts that it was Bigfoot who ch
Samantha
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Some places earn their bad reputation through tall tales or chance. Grizzly Falls is different. Here, killers aren't just the stuff of legends and campfire lore. Someone is in the night-time shadows, watching the local teens play around in the moonlit woods. Waiting for the right moment, the right victim. Waiting to take away a life.

Detective Regan Pescoli is counting the days until her maternity leave. Exhausted and emotional, the last thing she needs is another suspected serial killer. Especi
Donna
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. In Grizzly Falls, Montana, Homicide Detectives Regan Pescoli and Selena Alvarez are called to the scene when a young girl's body is found in a creek located in deep woods. Regan's daughter Bianca stumbled on the body as she was being chased through the woods by a tall, furry, bad smelling creature. Bianca secretly met a group of teenagers to play a game at midnight, never expecting to find the body of someone they know. The teenagers are obviously hiding secrets to protect one of thei ...more
Martha Brindley
I enjoyed previous books in this series but this one failed to connect with me. The plot was quite slow to progress and just an over abundance of dead bodies to be believable. Too. many characters for me to get to grips with! Glad the baby has arrived though. Not the best book in the series but I would read another by the author. A good holiday read.Thank you Net Galley for my copy.
Susan Rowe
Mar 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read many good books by Lisa Jackson, but this one bored me to tears. I got more than halfway through with it, then skipped to the final 15 pages to put myself out of my misery. The plot line was too confusing, too many characters (most with whom I did not connect) and quite frankly, I just didn't care who did it and why. My new mantra is "Life is too short to read books I don't love"!
Alasandra Alawine
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bianca is at a party where the teens are playing hide and seek. Something large chases her through the woods and she falls in the creek at Reservoir Point and discovers a dead body.

The body turns out to be that of a schoolmate Destiny. Convinced that the Father of the baby Destiny was carrying is the killer Selena and Regan set off to track down the likely teen killer. But before they can Lindsey (another one of Bianca's schoolmates) is run off the road and eventually found dead in her car.

Meanw
Carol Peace
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bianca Pescoli is with a group of her school friends in the woods on a dark night when she is chased by 'something' and she lands in a creek but she is even more horrified when it seems she has landed on a decomposing corpse. Homicide detective Regan Pescoli is Bianca's mother has the task of finding out who the deceased girl was and it is made all the more difficult due to the fact that Bianca is sure it was Bigfoot that chased her. I read this as a standalone book as I haven't read any of the ...more
Melissa Borsey
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. The dead body of a teenage girl is discovered while a group of teenagers are playing a midnight game of hide and seek in the woods. Detective Pescoli, who is due to give birth any day, and Detective Alvarez are on the case. The suspect list is long and the case becomes increasingly difficult as more teenagers begin to disappear and more bodies are being discovered. I found this story to be highly engaging and it kept ...more
Emerald
Alvarez and Pescoli are very strong lead females in jobs mostly dominated by males traditionally, especially in a place like Grizzly Falls, Montana. This series is just as good as her Montoya and Bentz - New Orleans cop/crime series. If you like murder, crime, and cop novels with a slice of the thriller aspect than this is a must read series. I really like how their personal lives and relationships are just as much a part of the stories as their crime fighting. I guess there is a new novel for t ...more
Cindy
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, 2017-netgalley
How could I have never read a Lisa Jackson book before? Now that I have found her, I've got a lot of catching up to do. Can't wait!

Although this isn't the first book in the series, I felt that the author gave enough background info that I didn't feel lost as to who each character was. But now, I want to go back to the beginning of the series and see what I have missed.

This story was a real nail biter with so much suspense! Was the killer a human or a "Big Foot" in the woods of Montana? There wer
Susan Angela Wallace
Expecting to die by Lisa Jackson.
A dead body is found by a young girl who's with her friends playing tag in the woods. She stumbles upon it after being chased by what she thinks is a beast. She calls the police who calls her mum who is a sheriff.
A very enjoyable read with great characters. I loved the story. Wasn't sure who it could be in had a few suspects. It wasn't who I thought it was. Highly recommended. 5*. I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of this book from netgalley.
Monique
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the last book for 2017 and I think it's time to give up on this series. I have enjoyed the serial killer mysteries but lately since the past couple I've been weighed down by too much negativity. Not the mysteries themselves, but the characters attitudes. I find I can't stand the snarky and bitchy. I consider myself a strong woman and yet I don't run around being negative and craping all over every experience. It's just crawling under my skin and it's time to say goodbye. Thanks for the m ...more
Susan R
Maybe this is not my series....maybe the problem is that this is the first book of the series that I read. Story seemed to plod along at times, and the main characters did not resonant with me.
Sherri Thacker

This was action packed from start to finish.
Julie
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I struggled to get through this one. Normally I love her books, but this one was not fabulous. It had too many characters--the list of suspects got so long that I didn't care who did it by the end.
Faouzia
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I would like to thank NetGalley, the Publisher and Author for this copy.

3.5 Stars

I was already familiar with Lisa Jackson through one of her stand alone books " You don't want to know", which was really good. But this was the first of the "Alvarez and Pescoli" series that i read.

The story was interesting.
In the woods of Grizzly Falls, and during some night game with a group of friends from school, the daughter of Detective Pescoli stumbles upon the dead body of a girl, who happened to be a part
Leslie
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

It would have been a 4, but I knocked it down a half for two things: (view spoiler)
Tonya Schultz
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been an avid fan of Lisa Jackson for a long time. This book had me on the edge of my seat! Plan on losing sleep when you start reading this book, because you will not want to put it down! Very riveting! Highly recommend!
Patricia
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was a great book. Loved it
Ginger
This will always be one of my favorite series. Now I have to wait a year before the next one becomes available. :(
Jenny
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stopped reading half way through.
Doris
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lisa Jackson never fails to bring me a book that is so suspenseful that you are guessing at every turn just who the "culprit" is. Expecting to Die was no different following Detectives Alvarez and Pescoli as they once again take on murders in Grizzly Falls. This time it hits close to home for Pescoli as her teenage daughter, Bianca is very involved. The timing for Pescoli couldn't be worse because she is mere weeks away from delivering her baby with Santana.

Bianca's friends seem to be either mu
  • Hush
  • No One Needs To Know
  • Destiny's Twins (T*Witches, #10)
  • The Lost Girls (Lucy Kincaid, #11)
  • In Too Deep (#Hacker, #2)
  • Superstition
  • The Raven's Eye (Brock & Kolla, #12)
  • Elly's Ghost
  • A Perfect Obsession (New York Confidential #2)
  • Single White Female
  • Shadowkiller (Nightwatcher #3)
  • Annabel Lee (Coffey & Hill, #1)
  • Innocent Prey (Brown and De Luca, #3)

Lisa Jackson is the number-one New York Times bestselling author of more than 85 novels, including Afraid to Die, Tell Me, You Don’t Want to Know, Running Scared, Without Mercy, Malice, and Shiver.  She is also the co-author of the Colony Series, co-written with her sister, Nancy Bush. There are over 20 million copies of Lisa Jackson’s books in print in twenty languages.

Before she became a natio

To Die (8 books)
  • Left To Die (To Die, #1)
  • Chosen To Die (To Die, #2)
  • Born To Die (To Die, #3)
  • Afraid To Die (To Die, #4)
  • Ready to Die (To Die, #5)
  • Deserves To Die (To Die, #6)
  • Willing to Die (To Die #8)
“had worked to get to the driver, who, pinned in her seat, was hanging upside down, seat belt still in place, her body as broken and twisted as the car. Alvarez had looked into the body bag and felt her insides go cold. Questions that had haunted her about the victim for the past few days now pounded through her brain: Why had she left in the middle of the night?” 0 likes
“Oh, God, please” 0 likes