Start by marking “Doctor Who: The American Adventures” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The American Adventures

Doctor Who: The American Adventures

(Doctor Who short stories)

Travel through time and space with the Twelfth Doctor in these six brand new adventures, set in a host of locations across the US and eras from throughout US history.

An invisible spacecraft turns up at the Battle of New Orleans, an alien presence is detected at the 1944 D-Day landings, and ghosts take over New York's subway tunnels as they're being dug in the early 1900s.
Published October 25th 2016 by Penguin Group UK (first published October 6th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Stephen Robert Collins
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I remember when this book was first published, but Waterstones at Darlington never received any copies then I forgot about it .Found it last week on eBay .
A collection of stories that just don't cut the mustard , no Claria these ok but bit too short not that American glad did not pay £14.99.
This has great murder mystery set in 1815 in New Orleans the 5th in the collection that makes this better then I first thought.The 12th Doctor does read right too.I have read some books were the Doctor did no
Kribu
Oh, how I wanted to love these stories.

I've been so starved for new Doctor Who, especially anything to do with my beloved Twelve (who is being quite poorly served when it comes to tie-in novels and the like, compared to his predecessors), that I couldn't even wait for my long-ago pre-ordered hardback of this book to arrive, so I bought the Kindle version in addition.

Sniffle.

Well. I mean .. I've said this before, but I do struggle with short stories in general. Not so much because I can't apprec
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I've read a lot of Doctor Who stories before, and unfortunately The American Adventures wasn't one of the good ones. They were decent, but since six short stories were cramped into an altogether rather short book, they in the end all fell flat.

None of the stories really stood out for me, either in positive or negative sense. What I did miss though was the feeling this was the Twelfth Doctor. If it wasn't for the cover, I wouldn't have
Ariana
Mar 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Originally posted on: The Quirky Book Nerd

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

I always love reading any Doctor Who tie-in stories, especially when we are all anxiously waiting for a new season to be released. I have also read a number of Doctor Who novels authored by Justin Richards, and I tend to consistently enjoy his writing style and his depictions of the various Doctors over the years. This is only my second experience with stories written abo
Sara Thompson
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I want to put out there, first, that if you are not familiar with the television show Doctor Who then this is not a book for you. This was definitely written for those already familiar with the character. While the stories are still understandable, there is no introduction to the Doctor nor to the gadgets he uses.
My family is huge Doctor Who fans so that was not a problem for me.
Even though it is set in America, there are a number of words that are very much the English versions. I point this o
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
I received an Advance Reader Copy at no cost from the publisher via Netgalley and hard copy.

This book is written for established fans of the Doctor Who franchise. Those that are not familiar with the main character, The Doctor, may not get as much out of this book. This book is a set of stories that take place at different points in time in the United States. (For those of you that may be reading this but are not familiar with the franchise, The Doctor is a time traveler.)

The stories take place
Lissa {rabidreadings}
Received an ebook of this book from
NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

As a Whovian I have been wanting to try a written story of Doctor Who for a long time now, so when I found Doctor Who: The American Adventures on NetGalley I was excited to have the chance to experience the Doctor in a new format.

Doctor Who: The American Adventures are six short stories written by various people, with that being said each story flowed nicely and I couldn’t even tell that various different writers wrote
Akahayla
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm a bit disappointed by this book. I mean I loved the Doctor but I'd have liked to see how he truly felt traveling alone. Instead I got short stories with a lot happening and zero investment in characters that weren't the Doctor.

Some shorts I'd like but decide I didn't like them THAT much by the end, so I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with this book. And the increased reduction of descriptions made me feel like I was a reading a children's book. So I would recommend this to any kid w
Wayne McCoy
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
'Doctor Who: The American Adventures' by Justin Richards is a book of 6 short stories featuring the Twelfth Doctor in uniquely American adventures.

The Doctor finds himself at various places in American history: the California gold rush, with a group of settlers, at a military base that is planning D-Day and at a large familiar sounding theme park in Florida, and other places. In each, the Doctor's unique gifts are needed to protect the people of Earth from the unknown. In each, he exhibits his
Raven and Beez
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy

PROS: A really fast read… yeah that’s all I got.

CONS: I’m slightly disappointed by this book. I couldn’t bond with ANY of the characters. I felt that the characters were very 2D. I had hoped that maybe we would get a bit of an “in” on how truly lonely the Doctor was while traveling alone, but all I got was average adventures with zero character development. Even Twelve, who I’m obsessed with, didn’t feel like himself in this book.

Considering the fact that
Nightlizard
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
*Digital review copy provided by NetGalley & the publisher in exchange for an honest review or rating.
2.75
Really, this rating tells it all, it felt nothing like the Twelfth Doctor. Felt very flat. Maybe for someone who knows nothing about Doctor Who.
Burgoo
The good news is that it won't take long to read this collection.

Jana Denardo
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Very uneven collection.
Magda Żmijan
You’d think as a Doctor Who fan I’d read tons of books by now, right? Wrong. I did read some graphic novels, but no actual book. Till now. Well… I was actually under impression that it will be a graphic novel since it was categorized as such on NetGalley.

If you ever wondered what would happen if the Doctor landed in America, here are few stories that could show you just that.

All That Glitters ★★☆☆☆

For a start, we’ve got a wild wild west story about a man possessed, an alien wanting more than he
Jane
The following review was originally posted on my book blog The Book Challengers.

DISCLAIMER: I received an ARC from Penguin UK via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. The following thoughts are my own and have not been affected in any way by this.
The (hardcover) book will be officially published on 25th of October, 2016.

These timeywimey stories will delight any Doctor Who fan? Er... no. They didn't delight me. There are some small parts that remind me of Doctor Who, but mostly, I didn't
Mel (Epic Reading)
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-netgalley
These six stories are absolutely perfect for reading to little boys or girls who love aliens, the Doctor or have an interest in science fiction. They are written to appeal to young boys primarily; but any child that doesn't have to have princesses in their stories will like them.

For the target age group (6-11) and given the use of the Doctor I say this is a 5 star read. I'd be shocked if the average little boy didn't want to hear hear stories again and again; because of course the Doctor never
Stoney OHanlon
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, reviewed
Just keep in mind, this is a book for pre-teens. (Heck, the whole show is arguably for pre-teens!)

When I was ten, this would have been my very favorite book. And I still enjoyed it, even at ... older.
Carla D.
Crítica em Português @ Pepita Magica: http://pepitamagica.blogspot.pt/2016/...

I received a digital arc from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

actual rating: 1,5 stars

Those who know me know that I'm a huge Doctor Who fan, major Whovian. This is my favourite TV Show! For that reason, anything related to this show awakens a curiosity and an interest in me. I already have a few DW books at home, but - for some unknown reason - I've never read them. I got this book from NetGalley, and I was
Alex Sarll
A handful of unremarkable tales of Capaldi's doctor in the US, which remind me more than anything of the stories in the old annuals and yearbooks that even as a child reader were very obviously a Who substitute for dry seasons, not the real thing. Indeed, these even further that impression by lacking author credits on my Netgalley ARC or the publisher's site, though I've seen it said elsewhere as here that they're by Justin Richards, which would make sense. None of them are bad, as such - indeed ...more
Jana
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-books
I received a free copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Being an avid lover of Doctor Who, I had to request this when I saw it on NetGalley. These stories are very fun, but in my opinion lack the typical Doctor Who feeling. They don't feel as fun in the time travel sense, and while not being back stories, didn't make me feel like I was in a Doctor Who episode.
Brooklyn Tayla
My full review can be found on my blog https://brooklynthebookworm.wordpress... - truthfully I was disappointed by these stories, and couldn't really picture the Twelfth Doctor in them.
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received a copy of this novel through NetGalley.]

This was advertised in the Comics category, so I thought it'd be a comics, but it's actually a collection of short stories. Ah, well.

Not sure what to think about it, really. I found it... just bland, to be honest. On the bright side, none of the stories come with glaring plot holes or annoying sidekicks, but on the other hand, none left me with a lasting impression either.

The main problems here for me are:
- The characterisation of the Doctor.
Gordon Mcghie
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
When Doctor Who goes off the air I switch to the books to get my fix of my favourite Timelord. This is a tactic which has been working for me since 1989 and I hope it never ends. When the novelisations of the tv shows ended I was bereft, however, Virgin Books and then BBC started releasing original novels featuring various incarnations of the Doctor and since the early 1990’s there have been a steady stream of new tales to enjoy.

Through the years Justin Richards has been a regular contributor to
Amesily Chen
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-e-book

I really love the way the author writes about the adventure of US history. I'm not sure whether the TV series has mentioned this travel or not. (Yeah, I just start watching season 5, so I literally don't know what have 12th Doctor been through.) But all the words in the plots just bring the whole story back to life. I can imagine each scenes vividly, just like I watch the TV show. That's maybe the reason why it's easy to make me get into the mysterious and exciting space trip.

And there
SantaFlash
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Brimming with mystery, excitement, and the Doctor's trademark wit, Doctor Who: The American Adventures is not to be missed by any over of the Whoniverse - and has arrived in bookstores everywhere just in time for the 2016 holiday season.
---------------------------------------
My Thoughts...

I rarely give 5 stars for a book...that's saved for those few books I find exceptional. When I rate a book 4 out of 5 stars, it's still a worthwhile read, in my opinion.

The cover and the author: A common compla
Yami
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this from net Galley for an honest review.

I was excited to receive a chance to read a Doctor Who book as it's been a dry spell for anything of Doctor who for a while. The thought of being able to read the doctor's adventures in America? Through out our history was something I was definitely looking forward too. Justin Richards isn't a stranger to Doctor who as he captures the twelve doctor's character and explores certain times through out history as the Tardis get's a littl
Kat
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Overall rating: 2.5 stars

This collection of short stories was a mixed bag. Most of them were in the "eh, it was okay" range. The Doctor's characterization was okay, the concepts for some of the stories were interesting, but most of the villains acted in supremely unintelligent and rather unrealistic ways which kind of undercut any tension of the story. Also, the 12th Doctor is flying solo in these stories, which is a nice little change. Still, I wish the stories had been longer and more engaging
Nicholas Whyte
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it

A collection of six short stories featuring a companionless Twelfth Doctor visiting the USA at different points in history from 1815 to the present day. I’m afraid this is definitely at the potboiler end of Richards’ range (which is considerable: I think he overtook Terrance Dicks as the writer with most Doctor Who books to his credit some time ago). The Doctor has very little of Capaldi’s characterisation, and a couple of the stories are very weak plot
Garrett
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
One of my favorite Whovian authors writing a bunch of "jump in/jump out" Twelve adventures that all feel like they might have been pitches for the show during a less complicated, less Moffeted time. One or two gems in here - the theme park, the Oregon Trail - but mostly over too quickly. Not enough time to flesh out the secondary characters or villains, really, and that can make this collection seem repetitive. Who is Who, though.
Nancy
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Maybe more like 3.5 stars? I liked some stories more than others, which is to be expected in a short story collection. In general, the stories were all right -- not quite always the Doctor Who experience I look for, but pretty decent.

And honestly, once the stories start spending more time with the Doctor, they get more engaging.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Justin Richards is a British writer. He has written many spin off novels based on the BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who, and he is Creative Director for the BBC Books range. He has also written for television, contributing to Five's soap opera Family Affairs. He is also the author of a series of crime novels for children about the Invisible Detective, and novels for older children. ...more

Doctor Who short stories (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Doctor Who Stories