Start by marking “Cape Refuge (Cape Refuge, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cape Refuge (Cape Refuge, #1)

Cape Refuge (Cape Refuge #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  7,067 Ratings  ·  349 Reviews
Thelma and Wayne Owens run a bed and breakfast in Cape Refuge, Georgia. They minister to the seamen on the nearby docks and prisoners just out of nearby jails, holding services in an old warehouse and taking many of the "down-and-outers" into their home. They have two daughters: the dutiful Morgan who is married to Jonathan, a fisherman, and helps them out at the B & B ...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 2002)

Ruth Hill
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
When I began this book, I was quite intrigued. After all, it is a Christian mystery. That is a genre I have never read. I grew up reading Erle Stanley Gardner and Agatha Christie where everyone jumped into bed with each other and used foul language right and left. How refreshing this book was in light of that!

First of all, the author is a fantastic writer who certainly knows how to develop believable characters and plots with intriguing twists and turns. I was drawn into the book from the very b
 Marla
I read Predator and was pleasantly surprised at the murder mystery mixed with Christian lessons, but if I had read Cape Refuge first, I would have never read another Terri Blackstock book. The characters are predictable, uninteresting and the sympathetic characters are just whiny. The same details of the mystery were brought up so many times that I longed for the book to be over or at least for something, anything, new to happen. If I were one to not finish a book, I would've abandoned this chap ...more
Jerry
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A real page-turner.
Sarita
Everything I read by Terri Blackstock I loved, this book was no exception.

The owners of Hanover House, a house for ex-cons and strays are brutally murdered. Morgan and Blair is looking for their parents' killer, especially after Morgan's husband was arrested for the murder. With lack of evidence and multiple suspects, there is a lot to keep a reader guessing.

The action started from the beginning, with loads of suspense and intrigue and kept on building. Terri did a great job of introducing the c
Lauren
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I had a beautiful review and then lost it. Rats! I shall try again.

This book was great. It was a cool fiction novel with a christian theme. The book is about a murder mystery that occurs on an island off the coast of Georgia. It's pretty captivating and I didn't see the twist coming until right at the very end which is a good tribute to the writer. The main character, Blair, is an atheist who is dealing with the murder of her parents and struggling with the issue of whether God is helpless or cr
Tammy
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This the first book I have read by Terri Blackstock. It is a christian based murder mystery. I found I could not put it down. I am on the last book in this series and its only been four days. Well worth reading if you like a little mystery!
Jennifer Harrod
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to read the second book in this series!!!!!
Amancay
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is honestly my first dive into Christian based mystery/thriller, I'm typically... admittedly, a die-hard romance fan when it comes to novelization (although back in the day, growing up I read quite a bit of EVERYTHING!) That being said, I picked this up as a Kindle read, thanks to the wonders of publishers releasing freebies here & there. Their plan/ploy worked, and I'm okay with that. Although I've just now read the first book, I immediately logged in to assure I have all three of the ...more
Lauren
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cape Refuge is a small island just off the coast of Georgia. Its a tight knit community, where everybody knows everybody and there are no strangers. Which leads us to Thelma and Wayne Owens, the owners of Hanover House.

The Owens open their doors to ex cons wanting to change their lives. Hanover House has strict rules and ALL must follow them, if they want to stay that is. The Owens also minister a church that welcomes anyone willing to walk through the doors. So when Thelma and Wayne miss a city
Sheila Myers
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense
Wonderful characters and a suspenseful plot. Terri Blackstock never disappoints me.
Lady_lit
Oct 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012_read
TOTM

I had often seen Blackstock on others' shelves and was intrigued both by the books and the author's story, but I battled to obtain her books. I had also been told that the Cape Refuge series is one which must be read in synchronicity and order - fortunately, I can dispel this.

The plot line does form in such a way, that it is setting up character growth and stories for more books, although it is a satisfactory single title. The story isn't as Christian as I thought it would be, but if you're
Elaine
Nov 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Murder and corruption. Folks on the Island want Hanover House shut down. They're being told, among other things that some of the tenants living there are not good for the safety of the Island. Not all the Island residents feel that way however. Then there's Sadie who turns up and who appears to be a young runaway. The name Cape Refuge sounded like a good place to be. A place of safety. Then she hears of a double murder on the Island and the police want her off the beach. She can't very well get ...more
Tricia Leininger
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Set in what is referred to as the “deep south” by most, Cape Refuge by Terri Blackstock is a captivating read. Depending on your reading speed, you may want to block out a few hours of your day, as, if you’re anything like me, you won’t be able to set the book down!
This mystery novel is told by a few different characters in the book, but the primary voice is that of Morgan Cleary. She is the daughter of Thelma and Wayne Owens, the murder victims, who ran a half-way house for those in need of re
Monica
Sep 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, e-book
I finished this book over the weekend and have to say that I really enjoyed the story. This is a Christian Fiction book and not the first one I have read. Cape Refuge was well written and was able to keep my attention.

I didn't feel like I was being preached to the whole time. The main characters were Blair and Morgan. Morgan has the faith and Blair questions the faith very often. When reading Cape Refuge I was able to understand how Blair could have doubts about God.

The story is about Blair and
Wanda Hartzenberg
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Ok. Usually I prefer male over female narrators so keep that in mind when I tell you that I am not a fan of this narrator at all. Apart from the young girl and the two sisters almost everybody else sounded the same but!!!
The story. I loved the story. Real people with real issues trying their best to live a good Christian life but gets tripped up by life, by their tempers, resentment and secrets. Not at all a preachy book but for all of that a show-me-how instead of let-me-tell-you how story.

Feb 05, 2009 rated it liked it
I loved her "Seasons" books with Beverly LaHaye, so I thought I would try some books she wrote on her own. Nicely written, beautiful imagery. The only problem I had with the book is that I knew whodunnit before the second chapter. I kept hoping I was wrong, but nope. It was all too obvious. And that sheriff, the "hunk" in the book, has to be about the densest moron to ever wear a badge! I hope the rest of her books are better.
Charity Yoder
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i freakin love this book, but then again i like most of terri blackstock books to begin with. it's just so... fantastic. the ending you never see coming because it's that twisted.

if you're ready to stay up all night and not be ready for the ending to such a great book: read. then re-read to make sure you got it all.

big TWO THUMBS up!
Amberly Reilly
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've had this book for years and just now sat down to read it. Wonderful Christian fiction is what it is. Mrs. Blackstock kept me on the edge, in suspense, and circles as I tried solving the murder in my mind. A wonderful book that reminds us what faith and the bigger picture are all about. The afterword made me cry. I would recommend this book to any book lover out there.
Shannah Mauney
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewd-on-blog
This book was fantastic. An excellent blend of mystery and suspense. I can't wait to read the rest of the books in this series. View my full review here.
Robynjolo
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was not convinced by this book at the beginning. It seemed a bit disjointed and was just not pulling me in. I will say it had a good message though, but still doesn't get 5 stars.
Ed
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story plot. Continuous moving thriller that comes to a surprise at the finish.
Susan
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
A Christian mystery. A good read, though I figured out who did it early on. I just didn't have all the details figured out.
Kelly
Sep 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book was terrible...I'm actually angry at how bad it was. The characters are so stupid, as in have zero intelligence stupid. You can tell there wasn't a lot of research done on how murder investigations work before the book was written, along with many other discrepancies, making the whole thing unbelievable. I could go on for awhile about all the things wrong with this book but I don't care to waste anymore time on it.
Linda Walker
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Really surprised and touched by the Christian influence! Gripping mystery, believable storyline, and wonderful message of moving compassion from observation to action. Can't wait for second book in the series!
Jessica
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am not much into books that bring religion into them but this one caught me right from the start. I was cheering for Sadie the whole time and it reminded me a lot of my childhood years. I can't wait to read more by Terri Blackstock.
Massanutten Regional Library
Pat, Grottoes patron, June 2017, 3 stars:

The plot held your interest and I wanted to finish the book to see "who done it." I felt the religious part although necessary for the story was overdone.
Lunie Beal
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It kept me at the edge of my seat!
Lydia Stewart
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This series was my favorite series I had ever read, and to this day it is one of my all time favorites. I believe I have read the full series four times now. I love, love, love them!
Marcia
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as her other series.

I enjoyed many of the other series Blackstock has written, but this one just didn't catch ,y attention and interest as did her other series.
Cindy
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book of the Trilogy. I thought it was amazing. I couldn't put the book down.
2015 Reading Chal...: Cape Refuge by Terri Blackstock 1 7 Jan 29, 2015 08:49AM
British Horror: My new eBooks on Amazon 1 6 Nov 02, 2012 04:20AM
  • Exposure
  • The Guardian (O'Malley #2)
  • Showers in Season (Seasons, #2)
  • The Real Enemy (Sophie Trace Trilogy #1)
  • Cry in the Night (Rock Harbor Series #5)
19811
Terri Blackstock is a New York Times best-seller, with over six million copies sold worldwide. She is the winner of two Carol Awards, a Christian Retailers Choice Award, and a Romantic Times Book Reviews Career Achievement Award, among others. She has had over twenty-five years of success as a novelist.

Terri spent the first twelve years of her life traveling in a U.S. Air Force family. She lived
More about Terri Blackstock...

Cape Refuge (4 books)
  • Southern Storm (Cape Refuge, #2)
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
  • Breaker's Reef (Cape Refuge, #4)