Start by marking “Smart and Sexy (Sky High Air, #1)” as Want to Read:
Smart and Sexy (Sky High Air, #1)

Smart and Sexy

(Sky High Air #1)

Jill Shalvis mixes delectably steamy romance and pulse-pounding adventure, courtesy of Noah, Shayne, and Brody--three gorgeous pilots whose private airline caters to the rich and fabulous. Noah is a bad-boy rebel who's always gone his own way, but when the stowaway on board turns out to be his secret crush, he'll make it his mission to keep the passenger satisfied. . . ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published April 1st 2007 by Brava (first published March 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Smart and Sexy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart and Sexy

Start your review of Smart and Sexy (Sky High Air, #1)
Yodamom

I'm not loving this, it's above meh. There seems to be a bit of story and a lot of groping, rubbing and ridiculous running for you lives without a damn answer to why. Really who would run from bullets without and explanation for this chick ????? Not one of her better books. Now, do I DNF it and try another of do I continue with meh+ ? I DNF, my time is worth more than this. No more meh sandwiches
Kotka
Dec 08, 2011 rated it did not like it
I think I feel betrayed because this is Jill Shalvis and I expect so much more. I started, then put this away for more than a month and finally ran out of other things to read. Aside from a TSTL, whiny heroine, dismal characterization and completely gratuitous sex in the middle of life and death situations, this book contains cringingly awful attempts at Spanish.

"El ir de la subsistencia"?? "Gasolina de la necesidad"?? Seriously?! That just finally broke the camel's back for me and brought this
Ami
Jill Shalvis is currently one of my comfort authors and I (usually) love her more recent books. This one though was neither comforting, nor good, and I definitely did not like it. I wonder if it is due to the book being released in 2007 or because it's released by Brava (I remember Brava having more sex contents).

Anyway, I'm not going to say much because other negative reviews have said it better. The only reason I didn't DNF was because I was behind my Goodreads challenge so I didn't want to.
Donnelle
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Jill Shalvis is a fabulous writer. Time and again, she has seamlessly blended humor and heat with some sort of suspense, all while ensuring that an emotional connection between each immensely charismatic hero and intelligent, strong heroine not only exists, but evolves and deepens in a believable, emotional manner. That has held true for every single Jill Shalvis book that I have read - and I've read more than a few - except, unfortunately, for this one.

That is not to say that the humor isn't
Lyndi W.
Feb 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
I hate the heroine. She's too contradictory, she's a pussy, and I'll eat glass before I believe the "Smart" in this book title refers to Bailey. No way. I've read over some pretty horrible heroines and I have high standards for the girls that try to take on the bad guys all by themselves. If they're TSTL, I put the book down. I don't want to suspend my disbelief so a character doesn't seem too stupid to not get killed. I mean, really. Vampires, werewolves, explosions not killing people, guys ...more
Yz the Whyz
May 07, 2010 rated it liked it
First time reading this author, and I wasn't impressed.

The characters are pleasantly forgettable and the premise of the story requires some suspension of disbelief. It is supposed to be a 'hot'read, but considering that they are on the run, the 'lusting' for each other just seemed contrived and impractical. I mean, they are running for their lives and yet they have time to stop and make out, when the bad guys are practically breathing hard on their necks.

I owned the second book, so I'll
Mojca
What a pitiful excuse for a romantic suspense novel. More like plotless sex disguised as a story.

The suspense was blah, the hero was a cardboard, one-dimensional dummy, the heroine was a TSTL, air-headed (who changes outfits in the middle of a flight-for-life) bitch with trust issues (he was in deep shit right alongside her and she still refused to tell him everything, because she feared she would put him in danger...hello, bullets flying!)...

And there was too much (rather meaningless) sex.
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
Love you Ms. Shalvis but NOT one of your better books.
Riverina Romantics
Dec 18, 2011 rated it liked it

Jill Shalvis is a wordsmith. She is extremely talented. I just didn't fit with this story. I couldn't relate or enjoy the constant lust while in life threatening situations. It was a little too much for me. While I'd be sh*ting my pants, these two were oblivious to the people trying to kill them - a one track mind for bumping uglies.

Still fabulously written. I just couldn't connect with these two as much as I would've liked.
southpaw285
Aug 13, 2009 rated it liked it
This one was okay. It does not contain the humor I've come to recognize (and expect) from this author. Maybe because it's an older book (2007). I'm not sure.

It was a quick, enjoyable read, but not great.

Dawn
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice, easy-to-read, and fun story. Loved Noah and Bailey. And, of course, a wonderful HEA.

Noah, one of Sky High Air's partners, has just recovered from a tragic crash in which his passenger/girlfriend was killed. He's been out for 6 months and has decided to get back into flying by taking himself to Mammoth for a weekend of skiing and, hopefully, a couple of ski bunnies. Instead he ends up with a hijacker, Bailey Sinclair, a client as well as his secret crush. She's in trouble with some
Alex is The Romance Fox

Book Description: Noah Fisher has worked for months to make Sky High the most prestigious charter airline in California. He's long overdue for a break - something involving ski slopes, cold beers, and hot ski bunny babes, not necessarily in that order. The itinerary doesn't include being hijacked by Bailey Sinclair, gorgeous widow of one of Sky High's wealthiest (ex-) clients.
But here they are, and being crammed in a cockpit with the scared, stubborn, unbelievably sexy former model he's been
Patti K
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I haven't read every single Jill Shalvis novel, but I've read many of them. And this series is very different from the Lucky Harbor series. A lot happens in a short period of time in this series and the first entry introduces Brit Noah and socialite Bailey. Hot, off the chart chemistry that's helped along by the fact that they've been noticing each other for a while. Since she was married, they haven't done anything about it. They've hardly spoken. But her husband is dead and the reasons for ...more
Susan
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good book. Noah has been attracted to Bailey since she and her (now dead) husband started flying with him. Now she has hijacked him and his plane in an attempt to save her life. The bad guys told her that she had to find the money her husband stole from them or they'd kill her brother and her second grade students. At first, Noah wants nothing to do with it, but he soon realizes that she's really in trouble and scared. I really liked Noah and the way he is able to think on his feet and get them ...more
Michelle Toenniges
Nov 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: modern-romance
With Jill Shalvis, I either love her books or I hate them, no real in between. Love the lucky harbor series, but this book fell into the hate category. Was unable to finish this book, the heroine was pretty stupid for being a teacher, and just couldn't get into the book in a large part because of her. She used to be a model, still gorgeous, and yet so self-concise and can't understand that someone would find her attractive. She also has these "fears" about trust and men and i can sort of ...more
Fedora
Feb 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Well, this was Jill Shalvis, and that part I loved. She writes some really good steam and well, I always like her writing period. This story though, it was just a little too unbelievable. There was a lot that didn't add up, there was a lot that just kind of felt missing. It's ok though, I liked it enough, I liked the setup for the rest of the series and of course, I loved the steam. I am off to read the next one, I hope it's Brody.
Darcy
Sep 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure about this one when I picked it up, but really got turned off when the heroine hijacked the hero in a plane using a bic pen and he didn't realize it. While I have never been hijacked, and am pretty stupid about guns it strikes me that a barrel of a gun is quite a bit larger than a pen. I kept reading after this factoid, but had a hard time with things. In the end the believability factor was something that I couldn't get past. This one just wasn't for me.
Mareli
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book has one of the longest day I ever read. I think it lasted at least 85 pages...

I great reading. I didn't like her so much at the beginning because she seemed to be a little too model-type and little brain but she grew on me.
He was a wonderful hero.

This author is great! I love her
Alison
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jill Shalvis is one of my Favourite authors, I always feeling like I have put on my protective blanket when I read one of her books.

Like always the Hero's are hot and bad ass so no different to Noah in this book.

Bailey really wasn't one of my favourite Heroine's but her and Noah fit so that was good enough for me.
Becky
Jun 16, 2012 marked it as dnf
Shelves: contemporary, library
Kept trying to get into it, since I'd waited for it so long from the library...but just couldn't do it. The whole bad-guys-are-trying-to-kill-us-and-we-don't trust-each-other-at-all-but-hey!-I'm-hot-and-you're-hot-so-let's-spend-the-night-together bit just became waaaay too much to swallow.

Ugh. Hopefully a trip back to Lucky Harbor will be more the thing.
Roxie
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you look at the reviews, I think I'm in the minority in that I LOVED this book. It was so over the top, but in a delicious way. Sexy pilot, woman on the run... woot! Throw in some guns, gambling debts and, yup, hawt-private-jet company partners, and I'm all over this. Fun!
Stephanie
This book was pretty good. Bailey had a few TSTL moments through out the story, but over all it was pretty good. 3.5 for me, but I am going to stick with 3 stars, because it just didn't knock my socks off.
Very steamy sex, but that doesn't always make the story great.
Angela
27 July 2015: $1.99 on Kindle

5/14/2013: $1.99 on Kindle
...
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Really a disappointment after I've come to expect so much from Jill's work.
Dee
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
on the run from bad guys who want to kill me, let's boink! ugh...you could tell it was a real early work of hers, more sex than substance almost
Anita
Actual Rating: 1.5 Stars

This review is a long rambling rant that contains spoilers and a lot of ranting and maybe some crass language. Continue at your own risk.

There is nothing wrong with a Jill Shalvis book, except when there is. I loved the first three Lucky Harbor books I’ve already read, and in fact, one of my favorite couples happens to be Chloe and Sawyer from the third book, Head Over Heels--their relationship’s development is sweet and their chemistry is amazing!

So it comes as a
Linda Walters
While I liked this book, it didn't grab me as much as the other two books. Which of course I once again read as a series out of order.

I did like both of the M.C.'s because wow, did they have a lot of things that they overcome and still had to overcome. When Noah figures out some of what is going on, he wants to help Bailey. After all, he's had a secret crush on her, not to mention some pretty wild fantasies as well.

Yes, she was married, so he kept his distance before this encounter. Yes, Noah
Cheri
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it

This book just wasn’t engaging me. I can’t exactly pinpoint the reason, but I think it has to do with some sloppy story telling. Man! How I hate to say that about one of my favorite authors! But there were things in this story that just didn’t make sense to me. In most cases, I find Jill Shalvis to write smart stories. This one had too many holes for me. This is the peril of reading a favorite author from their earliest stuff…sometimes you’re going to get some not so stellar stuff.

I
Amber Brownlow
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Smart and Sexy is the 1st book in the Sky High Air trilogy by Jill Shalvis. In this book we meet bad boy Noah Fisher. Deciding to take some much needed time off, Noah flies himself on a little vacation. His plans begin to go awry when an unexpected stowaway on board hijacks his plane. Noah is even more surprised to find out his mysterious hijacker is none other than Bailey Sinclair, who he has a crush on. When he finds out what has caused her to be in the position she's currently in, he can't ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Nancy Gideon By M...: Smart and Sexy~September Monthly Read 23 11 Sep 20, 2013 01:17PM

• Jackson (The McBrides of Texas #1; Eternity Springs #16)
  • Hold Me (Fool's Gold, #16)
  • Until We Touch (Fool's Gold, #15)
  • Coming Home for Christmas (Haven Point, #10)
  • Capturing You (Maple Grove Romance Book 1)
  • Before We Kiss (Fool's Gold, #14)
  • A Fool's Gold Christmas (Fool's Gold, #9.5)
  • Devlin (7 Brides for 7 Blackthornes Book 1)
  • All Roads Lead to You (Stay, #3)
  • Thrill Me (Fool's Gold, #18)
  • When We Met (Fool's Gold, #13)
  • Two of a Kind (Fool's Gold, #11)
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • The Summer of Sunshine and Margot
  • Work Me Up (Riggs Brothers Book 3)
  • Take Me Down (Riggs Brothers, #2)
  • Bad Wedding (Eden Hills, #2)
  • Bad Boyfriend (Eden Hills, #1)

Look for Jill's latest, LOST AND FOUND SISTERS on shelves and e-readers now, and get all her bestselling, award-winning books wherever romances are sold.

Visit Jill's

Sky High Air (3 books)
  • Strong and Sexy (Sky High Air, #2)
  • Superb and Sexy (Sky High Air, #3)
“Hey,” Shayne said through the door. “You going to stay in there all night, because we’re getting tired of trying to eavesdrop from out here. Can’t hear a damn thing.” 22 likes
“Honest to God, she was the noisiest woman he'd ever been shot at with.” 15 likes