Start by marking “The Island Deception (Gateways to Alissia, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Island Deception (Gateways to Alissia, #2)

The Island Deception

(Gateways to Alissia #2)

What happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas. But what happens after you step through a portal to another world, well…

For stage magician Quinn Bradley, he thought his time in Alissia was over. He’d done his job for the mysterious company CASE Global Enterprises, and now his name is finally on the marquee of one of the biggest Vegas casinos. And yet, for all the accolades,
Published April 11th 2017 by Harper Voyager Impulse

To ask other readers questions about The Island Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Island Deception

Start your review of The Island Deception (Gateways to Alissia, #2)
Eric
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
When real magic is possible, would the Vegas kind satisfy you? It doesn’t for Quinn Bradley, the protagonist of Dan Koboldt’s Island Deception. Quinn, a stage magician, has worked his whole life for the big show in Las Vegas, and with a little help, he finally accomplishes his goal. The opportunity of a lifetime is his for the taking. But his curiosity and heart are drawn back to the little island where he learned that magic - the fireball kind - exists. Lucky for Quinn, CASE Global Enterprises ...more
Angel Leya
Quinn's back in the real world, with an incredible opportunity on the Vegas Strip he's long strived for. But even the glimmer of Vegas lights can't compare to what he's experienced in Alissia.

When Case Global asks him to return, he practically jumps at the chance. Because Alissia holds magic--real magic. But the mission holds many dangers, and Case Global is playing their cards close to the chest. There's more at stake than ever, both for the company's team, and for the Alissian people.

I found t
Vinay Badri
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
Book 1 was quite the charmer, a kind of a light meal heightened by the quirks of the leading character and the new world accessible through a portal. Book 2 adds on what book 1 has, adding more depth but that comes at the cost of some of the nimbleness and deftness that defined book 1 and the lightness of the book doesnt really stand up to this. Another potential reason for that is a bit of attention shifting away from Bradley Quinn as well.

Bradley was the heart behind the previous book and rem
Sean Randall
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant to revisit old friends and enjoy some time in this wonderful world. An abruptly worrying ending has left me wanting another one, though! Bring it on soon please!
John #Audible
May 24, 2020 rated it did not like it
It's a Portal fantasy/ Wuxia for you nerds. The concept of the story is good, but in the end you really had no MC and if you read or listen to this. You will see know why.

Spoilers (view spoiler)
Evan
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
After the slow start in the first book, this one gives you quite a bit more of the Alissian side of things and provides more of the escapist fantasy I am looking for.
We get to watch the protagonist, Magician Quinn Bradley, try to tread the line between being a CASE spy operative and a student of real magic in the Enclave.
He tries to do this while also romancing his teacher's daughter.

All through this series there are no clear heroes..lots of gray. Although you do see that the main evil is pr
Lyn
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Once again, Quinn Bradley pulls me into his world and invites me along as Alissia and the Enclave sing their siren song. Less high-action adventure in this book than the first, and more character development, especially with the secondary folks, which I really enjoyed. A couple of cool twists, too. Truly can't wait (though I must) for the next book.

The only reason my review came down from five stars to four: the cliches. Way too many, which surprised me for an otherwise excellent sci-fi/fantasy
Tom
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this but not as much as the first book in the series. Less magic/illusion from Quinn. It seemed much of the plot was the main characters searching, hiding and reconnoitering. It's probably a setup for the next book which, hopefully, will have a nice exciting climax. I'll have to wait until 2018 when it's published.
Diana Urban
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! I’m a huge fan of portal-into-another-world novels, so this series is perfect for me. This action-packed sequel was quite a page-turner, and I loved revisiting the world of Alissia (the world building is incredible). I also enjoyed the alternating POVs, and felt like I got to know the characters much more this time around. I can’t wait for the third book to come out!
Andrew
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Island is the second in the Alissia series and continues the momentum of the first novel. This novel focuses on Quinn's interactions at the Enclave and features a good bit of the character development that I enjoyed in the first installment. Looking forward to the conclusion!
Marian
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun series.

Bloody cliffhangers! Ha! It's okay--I already preordered the next volume on the strength of book one. I am really enjoying this series, and I'll be most pleased when book three arrives. I am well and truly hooked.
Laura Valentine
DNF because I really should have read Book One first.
N. Lang
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another adventure in the world of magic. The book leaves with some things untied and on a cliff hanger. Must read next book
Elizabeth
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I get sucked into these books rather readily even though the main character is a little annoying. He still has charm and the setting and plot are really good.
Mark
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
The Island Deception is Dan Koboldt’s follow up to his 2016 debut, The Rogue Retrieval (review), and the second novel in his Gateways to Alissia trilogy. I enjoyed The Rogue Retrieval very much when I read it last year, so much so that it made my top 10 books of the year. To therefore say I was looking forward to The Island Deception is an understatement – I couldn’t wait to get back to Alissia and see where Koboldt’s imagination would take me. And I wasn’t disappointed, for within the electroni ...more
Royce Sears
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this action-packed sequel to The Rogue Retrieval Bradley Quinn travels deeper into the depths of Alissa, a strange and foreign world that's full of magic, danger, and adventure. Quinn adventures back into the world of Alissa in order to discover the secrets of real magic, though he must play along with the corporate plan in order to achieve his personal goals. Mystery, intrigue, and suspense are found between the pages of The Island Deception as author Dan Kobolt takes us back through the gat ...more
Benjamin Murray
Christie Danielli
May 18, 2019
Keith Willis
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A magical mashup of hard science and fantasy.

I called Dan Koboldt’s debut novel, The Rogue Retrieval, “a merry blend of science and sorcery that's reminiscent of Christopher Stasheff’s marvelous The Warlock in Spite of Himself”. Well, Koboldt’s done it again.

In The Island Deception, Koboldt ups the ante as Vegas stage magician and reluctant hero Quinn Bradley returns to Alissia. He’s being sent back by the shadowy CASE Global Enterprises, ostensibly to help take down Richard Holt, the rogue rese
Bruce Coleman
Nov 20, 2017
Jonathan Madison
Jun 01, 2017
Deborah Laux
Dec 17, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Update placeholder cover for paperback version 2 186 May 15, 2017 11:30AM

• Crooked River (Pendergast, #19)
  • The Infinity Affliction
  • A Girl From Nowhere (The Firewall Trilogy, #1)
  • Temper (Red Mage #2)
  • Castle of the Noobs (Noobtown, #3)
  • Shattered Truth (Opus X, #2)
  • Mageblood (Mephisto's Magic Online, #1)
  • Winter Harvest: A LitRPG Sci-Fi Adventure (Space Seasons Book 1)
  • Promise of Wrath (Hellequin Chronicles, #6)
  • Conviction
  • Finding a Body (The Dark Herbalist Book #4)
  • The Clan (Play to Live #2)
  • The Duty (Play to Live #3)
  • Gods of Blood and Bone (Seeds of Chaos, #1)
  • Gun Mage: Surviving a Post Apocalyptic Magic Earth (Gun Mage, #1)
  • God Mode: a LitRPG Saga (Mythrune Online, #1)
  • Agnes at the End of the World
  • Blackfog Island (The Dungeoneers, #2)
Dan Koboldt is a genetics researcher who has co-authored more than 90 publications in Nature, Science, the New England Journal of Medicine, and other journals. Every fall, he disappears into the woods to pursue whitetail deer with bow and arrow. He lives with his wife and three children in Ohio, where the deer take their revenge by eating all of the plants in his backyard.

Gateways to Alissia (3 books)
  • The Rogue Retrieval (Gateways to Alissia, #1)
  • The World Awakening