Start by marking “Every Wild Heart” as Want to Read:
Every Wild Heart

Every Wild Heart

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  1,385 Ratings  ·  187 Reviews
From USA Today bestselling author Meg Donohue comes a mystery, a love story, and a mother-daughter tale about two women on a precarious journey to uncover their true selves.

Published March 14th 2017 by William Morrow Paperbacks

Julie
Every Wild Heart by Meg Donahue is a 2017 William Morrow Paperbacks publication.

This book is a quick, very light, easy to read story, that will appeal to readers of contemporary fiction.

Gail Gideon has a wildly popular radio talk show and is in negotiations to segue into the television market as well. She loves music and it brings much pleasure to her life, as does her teenage daughter Nic.

Nic’s passion, however, is not music, but horses. She’s a quiet girl who struggles socially, and battles
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
3.5 stars. Great beachy, summery, feel-good read.
Laura Rash
Mar 30, 2017 rated it liked it
While I wouldn't consider this complete fluff it was definitely a light chick lit kinda read. I liked the alternating characters between mother & daughter. And any mom can relate to the teenage trouble years drama.
Deb
Although I have had How to Eat a Cupcake sitting in my TBR pile for ages, Every Wild Heart is my first book from Meg Donohue, although it will not be my last. It is an easy read, not too heavy, and full of warmth, love and humor. Although there is certainly some drama and a touch of suspense in the mix, it is a mostly feel-good story about the relationship between a single mother (Gail) and her fourteen-year-old daughter (Nic) and the changes that they and their relationship go through after Nic ...more
Jaime
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-mrs-darcy
1.5 stars - If I want a bad Hallmark movie in book form, this is it. And just like a bad movie, you can fast forward through whole scenes or paragraphs and not miss a thing. I did not like that the main teenage character who was 14!! was dating and sneaking around with an 18-year-old and nobody batted an eye. The random, pointless swear words peppered here and there seemed silly. I cared not at all for the mother and daughter. The head injury and the mysterious stalker were not enough to drive t ...more
Luanne Ollivier
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Meg Donohue's latest novel, Every Wild Heart, has just released.

Gail Gideon, known as G.G., is the host of a successful talk radio show. Her own divorce was the fuel for her nightly advice program. She's also the mom of fourteen year old Nic.

But, not everyone loves Gail's show. There will always be detractors, but one seems to be ramping up into truly dangerous territory. Is it time for a change? And then Nic suffers an horse riding accident and comes out of her coma a changed person.

Donohue
Tricia Leising
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book had a promising premises, popular radio show host mom, horse obsessed daughter, crazy stalker and plenty of mother daughter drama. But it just kind of fell flat for me. Quick, light read but nothing special.
Diane
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
When we used to vacation in Cape Cod, after the kids were put to bed, my husband and I would listen to Delilah After Dark on the radio. People would call into Delilah, tell her a story about a lost love, a current love, anything to do with love, and request a song. It was very soothing to listen to Delilah's voice and drift off to sleep.

Meg Donhue's protagonist in Every Wild Heart, Gail Gideon known as G.G. to her many listeners, hosts a nightly radio talk show (Donohue says that Delilah was an
DJ Sakata
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite Quotes:

Radio, like the internet, offered a cloak of anonymity that suited harassers perfectly; add to that the dark hours of night during which I was on air, and The Gail Gideon Show had proven itself catnip for crazies.

Lila began ferociously stabbing at the kale, farro, and chia seed salad that her dad had packed. She took an enormous bite and chewed quickly, one dangling ribbon of kale twitching at the corner of her mouth. Lila was tiny with keen brown eyes and sharp features; her ste
AK Mama Reads
Another winner for "books to pack on vacation," is a quick to read, heartwarming story that will give you what life so often can not: resolutions to almost all of its problems.
The most surprising thing to me was my connecting more with Nic than with G.G. As a mother I expected the latter to be someone I'd have more in common with, but her world view and tenacious attitude are just so far left of me, where the anxiety and insecurity of her daughter were all too familiar.
I appreciated that the aut
Becky
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I first heard about Every Wild Heart by Meg Donohue from Anne Bogel (Modern Mrs. Darcy and What Should I Read Next? podcast). Ann recommended this book to fans of Kristin Hannah. Yes please! I'm a huge fan of Kristin Hannah's books. While I can see a link to Kristin Hannah, Every Wild Heart is not a tear-jerker like Kristin Hannah's books are.

This is a perfect summer, beachy read. I really connected with the character of Nic. She reminded me a lot of the type of teenager that I was whe
Roxanne Snopek
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful story of a mother and daughter navigating the next step in their road together. The descriptions of life as an introverted, anxiety-ridden teen were amazing, sent me back to my own high-school years and that of my daughters. BUT the change that accompanied her recovery was astounding and so full of hope. My favorite part was the horseback riding. Excellent plotting and pacing, great characters, an overall great read!
Roni Loren
Really enjoyed this one. A light, warm read that reminded me of Gilmore Girls. :)
Jessica
May 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was very so-so for me. Definitely not a must for your beach bag or any summer reading, really. It's not that it was a terrible book - I found it rather innocuous, but boring - so if the description sounds good to you, go for it. But if you're not drawn to it, I'd never point you in it's direction.
Sara
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readin17
Fun summer/beach read via MMD.
Stephanie
At its core, Every Wild Heart is the story of a mother and daughter. More character driven than action oriented, I found myself becoming increasingly interested in the two women whom the story centers around.

Gail Gideon is a household name and radio host of The Gail Gideon Show, famous after an on-air rant nine years prior about her husband leaving her went viral. She is brazen and colorful, encouraging and inspiring millions of women nightly on her show. Though fame hasn’t changed her personali
Sara Strand
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ah... who doesn't need a good chick lit in their life? We all do from time to time, and Meg Donohue just writes so beautifully you find yourself immersed in the story in no time. I immediately identified with Gail because I have three daughters (and one son) and my oldest is going to be in middle school next year and already I sometimes feel that chasm of teenage angst and the struggle of her wanting to just be a little kid but older than she is. I struggle with making sure I'm guiding her enoug ...more
Jeanne
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was attracted by the fact that Delilah, a radio talk show host I had listened to in the past who played love songs on her program, was the inspiration for the book. So was disappointed to discover this is really for young adults, therefore I was not the targeted audience. But to be fair, in this category, it probably deserves 3*s.
Rachael Mathis
2.5 stars. There wasn't anything bad about this book, it was just a little...boring? I think I was expecting more romance but it was mostly a book about a girl and her love for horses with a little intrigue about a stalker thrown in. I also couldn't really relate to G.G. and found her unlikeable at times. I think a young teenage girl might love this book (although there's some strong language in places) but alas, not really for me.
Jeanine
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bright quick read. I enjoyed the characters and I enjoyed the relationship between the mother and daughter. I remember what it felt like when my perfect little girls started to grow up and it just about turned my hair gray. Liked a little romance on the side too.
Debbie
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I reviewed this for RT Book Reviews be sure to check out my review there
Bridget
May 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Didn't finish or really even start. . .2 f-words on the 2nd page equals no more reading!
Christine
Nov 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017, gave-up
I just couldn’t get into this book at all. Found myself not reading and realized I wasn’t interested or excited by the characters. Quit it before finishing.
Donna Hines
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
You can't tame the wild beast isn't that what they say. You also can't lead a horse to water.
This is a wonderful plot full of twist and turns.
Can you really love someone or something back to normal if they were unloved, abused, or felt unwanted?
Whether a patient with a coma, an abused horse, or a single parent afraid to trust after divorce you can find it all in this novel by Meg.
Sometimes in life we just go with the flow afraid to make a move, create a wave, be the change we wish to see. We s
Laurel-Rain
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Passionate and funny, radio personality Gail Gideon is a true original. Nine years ago when Gail’s husband announced that he wanted a divorce, her ensuing on-air rant propelled her local radio show into the national spotlight. Now, “The Gail Gideon Show” is beloved by millions of single women who tune-in for her advice on the power of self-reinvention. But fame comes at a price. After all, what does a woman who has staked her career on being single do when she finds herself falling in love? And ...more
Callie
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I've never read anything by this author before, but I picked up this book after seeing it in Bogel's Summer Reading Guide.

Language: Several f-words, a couple uses of Jesus's name in vain, and other milder cussing. For some reason it didn't feel as dense to me as bad language often does in secular books.

Sexual Content: A few make-out sessions between different characters, not overly described. The mother quickly recalls her teenage sexual exploits in one scene.

Other: The mother is a talk radio h
Sara
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it
The premise of this book sounded amazing and I was psyched when I won it as a Goodreads giveaway, however, the story was a start and stop of decent storytelling.

Every Wild Heart revolves around Gail Gideon, a talk-radio host who makes her living from giving advice to lovelorn women. Gail, who is referred to as G.G. (so much in fact that it got annoying to me), is a punk rock loving, stubborn woman who is devoted to her wallflower daughter, Nic. Over the years Gail has made a name for herself an
Victoria Colotta
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review

EVERY WILD HEART is one of those books that balances the emotion and family dynamics along with a hint of mystery that is threaded throughout. What I loved the most about this story is the evolution of Gail (the mother) and Nic (the daughter). Their relationship with each other and those around them was the element of the book that grabbed me the most. Through an honest and expressive voice, Donohue gives her readers a glimpse that the wonderfully imperfect relationship that mothers and daughter
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Every Wild Heart by Meg Donohue is a recommended mother/daughter story.

Gail Gideon is the radio personality/voice for "The Gail Gideon Show." Gail's show began as an on-air rant nine years ago when her husband asked for a divorce. Now her nationally syndicated show provides advice to millions of women who seek self-empowerment. Her fame has come at a price, including stalkers, misguided fans, callers who dislike her, and harassing notes. But Gail has kept a low profile and most people don't know
Jennifer Kepesh
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
I am not sure if this would be categorized as a YA book or not. It is told in alternating chapters, a mother in first person and the daughter in third person. If YA, you'd think the daughter would be in first person, too. This mother is famous for her fearlessness. Her daughter begins the story as a hyper-self-conscious freshman whose worry about how others will see her leads to self-fulfilling prophecies of humiliation. Desiring to change this, she pushes herself and ends up with a head injury. ...more
Meg Donohue is the USA Today bestselling author of Dog Crazy, All the Summer Girls, and How to Eat a Cupcake. Her novels have been translated into Dutch, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, and Turkish. Born and raised in Philadelphia, she now lives San Francisco with her husband, three young daughters, and dog.

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $11.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • A Season of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Curtain of Green: and Other Stories (Harvest/HBJ Book)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99