Start by marking “Heaven or This” as Want to Read:
Heaven or This

Heaven or This

4.59  ·  Rating details ·  135 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Heaven or This: a collection of love letters in poem form. A story of a girl who loves girls, and the beauty in that, the terror, the yearning and the warning, the endless confusion and innate peace, at once shatteringly delicate and softly visceral.

Heaven or This: a fearless, electric manifesto. A pastel incarnation of grace. The story of a girl who loves girls so deeply
Published June 13th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Heaven or This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven or This

Inge
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Before I go into this, I just want to mention that I have zero expertise with poetry and usually do not understand it. I have no nose for symbolism or anything of the sort. I just know that I always find myself attracted to Topaz’ words like a moth to a flame. So when she asked me if I could review her newest poetry bundle, I jumped at the chance. Topaz is very near and dear to my heart, but my opinions haven’t been influenced by her beautiful smile or her luscious hair or the way she calls me “ ...more
Topaz Winters
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I mean, I think it's pretty good.
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
"When you tell them you are in love with a girl,
they will scoff, say you’re too young to understand what love is. But what is love if not the way my brain quiets every time my head is on her shoulder? How can this be wrong if my hands forget to tremble when she is holding them?"

This is a beautiful collection of poetry. In a limited pages, the author managed to capture the beauty and grievances of being a wlw. The cultural identity and faith are also interlaced which makes it even more amazing.
⚔ Silvia ⚓
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read it here: www.topazwinters.com/heavenorthis

i kiss her like damnation
and all the gods mistake it for something holy.

This is a beautiful collection of sapphic poetry. You can read some online and the rest is available through the author's patreon. I don't really know how to review poetry and especially this one is something you should just read yourself.

there is no story where two girls
get a happy ending. she tells me fine, we’ll write it ourselves, sings the beginning in the poetry of su
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When you tell them you are in love with a girl,
they will scoff, say you’re too young to understand what love is. But
what is love if not the way my brain quiets

Gorgeous. Read it here.
anna (readingpeaches)
we are holding hands in the barrel of a gun.
they pull the trigger, but when she is kissing me
only cherry blossoms come out.

there's sth so pure & magical abt reading poetry about girls loving girls written by girls. that bittersweet ache in ur heart when every single word resonates with u. & topaz's poems r so beautiful in their softness; enchanting & raw with emotions.
Olivia Chanel's Galaxy of Books
Favorite poetry collection ever, it's so beautiful it hurts. Every poem stole my breath away and my words will never do Heaven or This justice. LIKE JUST GET IT AND READ IT THIS BOOK DESERVES LOVE BUT MORE THAN THAT YOU DESERVE THIS BOOK IN YOUR LIFE THIS IS SOOOOOO MAGICAL GO GET IT. Full (without caps lock) review to come.
- ̗̀ cinnamon apple ̖́-
“there is no story where two girls
get a happy ending. she tells me fine, we’ll write it ourselves”

actual rating: 4.5 stars

I read this earlier, but I was so caught up on TFC that I forgot to mark this as, "currently reading."

This short story is so breathtakingly real. It deals with the harsh reality that a f/f relationship goes through. I barely read poetry, and I don't have that much experience with grading it, but this was BEAUTIFUL.

my favorite poem was legend.

"i fall in love with the way she u
Laura (bbliophile)
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is so beautiful, I'm in tears
Chiara
Topaz is an incredible writer, and I'm so happy to be able to review a book of hers so that you can discover her (or rediscover her) because her way with words is gorgeous. I'm going to give some thoughts on each of the beautiful pieces in Heaven or This.

girlhood

I have never seen anything so beautiful as you
pretending not to be beautiful

I love it when a line speaks to me and even though it is nestled between other lovely lines and passages and phrases, it just has that extra ness that makes my e
M. Hollis
"(...) Sixteen and changelings,
and I choose you in broken wings, I choose you in
burning stakes, magnet eyes, infinite amnesia,
I choose you out of untried hearts and endless
ashes, I choose you. I choose you. In the story
that matters, in the story that exists, two girls
are running, the fires forget how to burn,
and always, always, I choose you."

This is an amazing short poetry book that made me cry at the same time that filled me with joy. Loving women is a beautiful thing.

Support the author: https
Alwina
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
‚Heaven or This‘ is the poetry collection of a girl who finds new, undiscovered paths in her love and is not afraid to spill the whole story. and with whole story i mean the dusty nooks of „do you have a boyfriend yet?“ and „you are such good friends“ because Topaz Winters is a girl who loves girls, „who loves girls so deeply that it feels like loving doves or knives“.

it might confuse you when i say that i found this collection not to be entirely about love. instead, the poems reveal just as muc
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Shelves: poetry-and-verse
HOLY WOW. The poetry is absolutely freaking lovely. I literally just saw this minutes ago and decided to read it on a whim. I'm so glad I did.
Heleen
Shelves: poetry, favorites
Oh god. I have a lot of feelings about this.

It's not easy to write about love in a convincing way, without resorting to cliches or cringe-worthy aphorisms. Topaz managed to string together a world of poems that, in all their soaring brilliance, still tug reality by its hair, force it down on its knees and say: Look, this is real, and it's not going away.

Each individual poem is a strong, self-contained unit, but the way this collection is curated adds up to something more than the sum of its pa
Alexa
re-read: 2018. 03. 04.

I absolutely love the phrase "she ties me in forget-me-(k)nots".

favourite poem:
☄ cherry blossoms

there is no story where two girls get a happy ending. she tells me fine, we’ll write it ourselves

Girls loving girls is the most beautiful and sometimes the scariest thing in the world.

This short but powerful poetry collection tells you about the doubt and the strength and finally the beauty that comes with loving girls. I am honestly speechless at several of these poems. I als
Leah
This collection of poetry is a breathtaking look into the joys and difficulties of being a queer woman in love with another woman. It's short and sweet, definitely worth the read.
Eloise
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5
My heart has just been wrapped in a warm blanket of sapphic love.
Elke (BEroyal)
This is a gorgeous poetry collection about girls who love girls. The beauty, the heartbreak and judgement that comes with it. To all my sapphic girls, take a look at this! Maybe these are words you too need to hear.

You can read the collection here: https://www.topazwinters.com/heavenor...

"she tells me love is the most beautiful natural disaster
and for the first time, my tsunami heart believes it.
we are holding hands in the barrel of a gun.
they pull the trigger, but when she is kissing me
only ch
adam
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
topaz, your words are beautiful. thank you for sharing this.
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
Heaven or This is a poetry collection about girls falling in love with girls and it is so beautiful and so powerful. I would highly recommend to fans of poetry.
Havelock
This is utterly beautiful.
bianca
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have tears in my eyes and an indescribable feeling in my chest. This chapbook was absolutely beautiful, it was everything I did not know I wanted and so desperately needed. It makes me want to fall for someone so I can read these lovely poems outloud to the girl I love. And the author is only a year younger than me? I cannot deal with how precious this book is.
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
This was truly so beautiful wow. I absolutely loved it!!!!!
em.
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
HOW DID SHE WRITE THAT AT 16!!!

I am in awe of this girl and her ability to infuse every word with emotion so deep. Her sentences captivated me, enthralled me. I can give no higher praise. Oh to feel love so deeply and to express it so beautifully.
lauren ♡ (wonderless reviews)
I'm speechless. This was absolutely beautiful.
Abigail
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I always need more poetry in my life, so when I heard that Topaz Winters was coming out with a chapbook I was beyond excited. And I mean look at the cover! This chapbook is beautiful inside and out.

I downloaded both the regular and the deluxe version, but only ended up reading the deluxe. So I definitely think the deluxe is better, after all it has more poetry in it! (Note you can only have access to the deluxe if you become a Patreon sponsor of Topaz, but it's totally worth it!)

I haven't had a
Silvia
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I cried so bad while reading these poems.
Megan  (YABookers)
Heaven or This is a beautiful little poetry collection of girls loving girls. I think Cherry Blossom was my favourite, but I also really loved Legend and Aquiver, but to be fair, they were all pretty brilliant.
°мαggιє°  (っ⚈ᴥ⚈)っ™
there is no story where two girls get a happy ending.

Topaz has a precarious way with words-at once she is both terrifying & tender. She touches, similarly, on a sensitive topic, yet makes it accessible to all spectrums of society.

Girlhood like a recipe for yearning: one serving of jalapeño love, slightly burnt.

My only qualm is that her poems seem to be of the same vein, same tone. It could very well be one 3 page poem, if not for the title breaks. All, except for "Cherry Blossoms".

we are h
Kanika
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review originally published on L'Éphémère Review: http://www.ephemerereview.com/blog/20...

My introduction to the powerfully-tender and lovingly-fierce words of Topaz Winters’ poetic oeuvre came about by stumbling upon her self-published chapbook Heaven Or This, which created quite a stir on my Tumblr dashboard. And for very good reason.

To call Heaven Or This merely a book of love poems is to do a great disservice to its sharp, courageous, and unapologetic nature. Winters takes the beauty, the fe
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Topaz Winters is a writer, actress, creative director, & multidisciplinary artist working with a foundation in literature. Her work has been published in Wildness, Cosmonauts Avenue, & DIALOGIST, profiled in The Straits Times, The Adroit Journal, & Expat Living, & commended by the National Scholastic Art & Writing Awards, the National YoungArts Foundation, & Button Poetry, ...more
More about Topaz Winters
“we are holding hands in the barrel of a gun. they pull the trigger, but when she is kissing me only cherry blossoms come out.” 4 likes
“there is no story where two girls
get a happy ending. she tells me fine, we’ll write it ourselves”
4 likes