Start by marking “Murder Frames the Scene: A Hawai‘i Mystery” as Want to Read:
Murder Frames the Scene: A Hawai‘i Mystery

Murder Frames the Scene: A Hawai‘i Mystery

(Hawai'i Mystery #3)

Author and playwright Victoria Kneubuhl returns with another thoroughly entertaining, yet complex, whodunit set in 1930s Hawai`i featuring the lead characters from Murder Casts a Shadow and Murder Leaves Its Mark. The pair of unlikely sleuths—part-Hawaiian Mina Beckwith and her fiancé, part-Samoan Ned Manusia—find themselves unraveling a deadly web of espionage and murder.

Published May 31st 2016 by Latitude 20

To ask other readers questions about Murder Frames the Scene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Frames the Scene

Start your review of Murder Frames the Scene: A Hawai‘i Mystery
Peter A
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This mystery is set primarily in 1935 Hawaii. The lead protagonists are Mina Beckwith, born and raised in Hawaii and her fiancé Ned Manusia, part-Samoan. Mina initially focuses on a string of murders committed in a close-knit, although contentious, artist community; Ned is initially involved with a British colleague in trying to track down an individual spying for Japan (sending information about the naval bases in Hawaii). These two plots eventually come together, and the killer and spy are ...more
Caitlin
I enjoyed this book! I picked it up as a "blind date with a book", and it was a fun read. It took a little bit for the story to really get started, and I was sad that two of the characters introduced in the beginning of the book didn't get as much of a role in the later parts. However, the mystery was well set up and interesting to follow.
Heidi
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Probably the best book yet. I really like how we're getting into WWII now, and its impact on the islands prior to the bombing of Pearl Harbor. I so hope we see more books because I'm dying to follow along with Mina's wedding. Also I love Ollie.
Rocks
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading about Hawaii, so Ms. Kneubuhl's books satisfy that craving. Her books are historical mysteries with correct depictions of character and surrounding events on the islands.
Terri  Gav
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves mysteries set in the 1930s
Shelves: living-library
Really enjoyed it. Loved the setting. I hope the author writes a ton more books in this series.
Susan
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set mostly on Oahu in 1935 , Mina Beckworth is at loose ends, having quit her job as a journalist because of disagreements about the paper’s political views. So she takes on a job editing a book featuring the work of several local artists. Therefore, when one of the artists is murdered, she is in a perfect position to help out the investigation of her policeman brother-in-law. Meanwhile her fiancé, Ned Manusia is showing himself to be equally courageous and resourceful in tracking a spy ...more
Rose
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this book— the setting & characters were so unique. Really painted a picture of Hawaii in the 1930s & I very much appreciated the biracial main characters. My only complaint was the sheer number of artist/suspects is hard to keep track of (at least until a few more people get knocked off...)
Sheryl
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you want entertainment, a good mystery and Hawaiian history then this is your ticket to it all. Loved trying to figure out who was who in the real Hawaii art scene of the 1930s.
Melinda
Amy Alessio
May 11, 2016
Tracey Johnson
Feb 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
Tracy recommends. Read in order.
Margarita Alvarez
Nov 10, 2019

• Find Another Dream
  • Scone Cold Dead (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #9)
  • Thanks a Lot, Mr. Kibblewhite: My Story
  • Hounds of the Basket Stitch
  • Our Harlem: Seven Days of Cooking, Music and Soul at the Red Rooster
  • Number One Chinese Restaurant
  • Season of Mists (The Sandman, #4)
  • The Last Kabbalist of Lisbon (The Sephardic Cycle, #1)
  • Gods of the Upper Air: How a Circle of Renegade Anthropologists Reinvented Race, Sex, and Gender in the Twentieth Century
  • A Murderous Tangle (Seaside Knitters Society Mystery #14)
  • This Land Is Our Land: An Immigrant’s Manifesto
  • Dangerous Decade: Taiwan's Security and Crisis Management
  • A Game of You (The Sandman, #5)
  • Bachelor Girl
  • Fables & Reflections (The Sandman, #6)
  • The Book Business: What Everyone Needs to Know®
  • Total Mayhem (Jonathan Grave #11)
  • The Dalai Lama's Cat (The Dalai Lama's Cat, #1)
Victoria Nalani Kneubuhl is a well-known Honolulu playwright and author. She holds a master’s degree in drama and theatre from the University of Hawai`i. Her plays have been performed in Hawai`i and the continental United States and have toured to Britain, Asia, and the Pacific. An anthology of her work, Hawai`i Nei: Island Plays, is available from the University of Hawai`i Press. Ms. Kneubuhl’s ...more

Hawai'i Mystery (3 books)
  • Murder Casts a Shadow: A Hawaiæi Mystery