Start by marking “Murder in Midwinter” as Want to Read:
Murder in Midwinter

Murder in Midwinter

Sat on the top of a bus days before Christmas, Maya sees a couple arguing violently in the middle of a crowded Regent Street. They see her watching, she looks away, and the woman disappears. Maya goes to the police, who shrug and send her away. Then a body turns up… Now convinced she is a vital witness to a crime, the police send Maya into hiding in rural Wales. She resolv ...more
Published October 6th 2016 by Nosy Crow

Start your review of Murder in Midwinter
Mathew
A fast-paced exciting adventure with a strong female lead. Murder in Midwinter is a great crime novel in which the plot is smart enough to keep the reader guessing all the way through. Although, as an adult reader, I had some ideas I was pleasantly surprised as I wrong and that there were enough twists and tense moments to keep me gripped until the end.
Written in first person, the anxiety and fear that Maya feels comes through well and since we're in her head throughout, the idea of what might
Kirsti
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Kind of felt like a modern Famous Five or Nancy Drew, but more gunshots and less mystery solving. The plot is fast paced and interesting, and you really do wonder why the baddies are after Maya. The mystery is nicely solved in the end, but not before some excitement and bravery on the children's behalf.

I loved the family theme; the sisters are more like best friends. I loved the black hair with the skunk stripe being the identifiable feature; something I hadn't seen before. At first I was prepar
Michelle
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read. Maya is on the bus one day taking photos when she witnesses a man holding a gun at a woman. She snaps a pic and realises that they're looking right back at her. A murder and a kidnapped child lets her know that she is being targeted. She saw something she wasn't meant to see. I'm not going to reveal much, I want this summary to be vague.
I can safely say that this book was exceptionally written. There are a LOT of crime/mystery stories that have an obvious ending, obvious plot
Chloe
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I read it in one night!
Luna
Dec 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-authors
3.5 Stars

I enjoyed the pacing and excitement of Murder in Midwinter. The story kicks of right from the beginning and that Maya’s thrill-ride never lets up until the conclusion. It is written as a page-turner and I was reluctant to put the book down. (I could have very easily read it in one sitting if over commitments had permitted this.)

Maya also makes a good main character is also good, she’s intelligent and determined. I liked how I got to know her whole family in this book and how Fleur Hitch
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Being a murder mystery fan, I very much enjoyed this book. Despite being for children, it kept me on the edge of my seat and needing to read to the end. Great twists in the story and the author expertly created tension and suspense.
RhiannaH
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
A brilliant introduction into crime literature. The story has you hooked from the beginning and with various twists and turns in the plot, it is difficult to put down!
Lilyfae
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Each time I discover another book from Fleur Hitchcock I find that I become an even bigger fan of her style rejuvenating the contemporary children’s thriller genre, bringing the adventures and danger of classic tales bang up to date, accessible and resonating with modern children as much as the classics offered their original generation.

Murder in Midwinter is a fantastic cinematic thriller, full of nail biting tension yet also filled with that claustrophobic, paranoid space of watching and wait
ashortbooklover
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maya is travelling on a bus in Central London trying to take photos on her phone of the beautifully festive shop windows when a couple step into her viewfinder and start arguing. Through the camera flashes as Maya clicks away trying to get a decent photo for her sister, a glint of something else catches her eyes. The man has a gun. As Maya's flash releases, the man disappears. But not before he's seen her.

Then a dead body appears and all hell breaks loose. The police send Maya into hiding in ru
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
A likeable and determined main character with a great premise this book does not disappoint. An entertaining story of a young Londoner who witnesses a possible crime moves fast and furiously, keeping the reader on the edge of their seat. Some aspects of the mystery/crime are a little fuzzy around the edges. Why is Maya being hunted when the incident she saw is the not the murder that she also (coincidentally) comes across days later? Why is her sister kidnapped and then returned unharmed, when t ...more
Megan
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Aleksandra Iwanowska
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Definitely worth the time to read. Being a fan of Sherlock, I tend to read a lot of mystery/crime stories, and, trust me, this has been such a good read! When I first saw this book(when my good friend gave it to me), I was convinced that it would have an easily solvable mystery. This book takes you on a fast-paced journey with Maya, the plot taking twists and turns making this such a fun read.

I must say, re-reading this book twice did not help me understand the logic at the ending part, so, if y
Julia Thum
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great story - full of twists and turns and adventures. I was gripped from start to finish. The settings and the characters are well drawn and the story builds beautifully so your knuckles are white by the time you reach the last few scenes.

The snow scenes are so cinematic you may need an extra blanket to warm you when you read them. Then if you get scared you've got something to hide under!
Yoonji Song
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, mystery
A great fast-paced novel that has you gripped in every chapter. It's great to see that the story didn't drag at all and was from go at the very start. However, this book wasn't so much of a mystery but rather an escape novel. Despite this, as the reader, I found myself creating many theories but the plot twist shocked me. This book is definitely one to pick up if you want a quick read.
Kim
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute middle school suspense-thriller-mystery set in modern England with a female protagonist with mechanical tendencies, but absolutely no affinity for dogs or horses...at least until she gets exiled from downtown London to the wilds of Wales in a sort of witness protection program
Nina Spence
Read with my 11 year old son. It was ok, but the events were a bit far-fetched, so we both felt that it stopped us from being completely invested in the characters. A strong female lead however, which was good.
Cherie Corbett-Jones
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
This was a quick, fun read that tweens would enjoy. Although as an adult reader of crime, I do question some of what happened and just how much of it could actually happen, particularly in regards to the painting, this would be a good introduction to crime fiction for younger readers.
Charlotte
Sep 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
if you like mg thriller/art heist stories, and snow in Wales, it's fine. Didn't strike me as all that special though (and why was the value of the painting given in dollars? this wasn't a US edition of the book)
Weasel
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read - the plot's interesting and the characters draw you in.
Tracy Hager
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun, atmospheric, kid's thriller.
sienna
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this for book club and I actually thought that I wouldn’t like this but I actually loved it. It was a slow starter but it was worth it!!
Alyson
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Slightly confusing but fun to read!!
Courtney L. Painter
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found it an endearing book with a heartwarming end. The only thing is that it did have a slow start that was a bit hazy but came to end with a very good twist
Emma
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
It was good- not amazing. The end chase got a bit confusing and convoluted, but overall I enjoyed it and look forward to recommending it to the students
Sarah Johnston
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, young-adult
Easy to read, engaging mystery. Enjoyable story even if you are no longer a teen.
Darcey Bellars
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Terri
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read about this book on a blog and then ordered it. It was very good fast paced and exciting. I wasn’t disappointed.
Barry Drudge
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a delightful book that takes me back to my childhood imagination. I think that Fleur Hitchcock should be on the top-seller shelves everywhere!
Brett Shemwell
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a nice easy read
Abdullah
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
it is really good.

• Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)
  • The Last Chance Hotel (Seth Seppi Mystery, #1)
  • Podkin One-Ear (The Five Realms #1)
  • The Many Worlds of Albie Bright
  • Nevertell
  • The Middler
  • Strange Star
  • The Highland Falcon Thief
  • The Clockwork Crow (The Clockwork Crow #1)
  • The Star Outside my Window
  • WildSpark
  • A Place Called Perfect (Perfect, #1)
  • Murder at the Museum (Agatha Oddly, #2)
  • The Secret Key (Agatha Oddly, #1)
  • The Infinite Lives of Maisie Day
  • The Girl of Ink and Stars
  • Murder Most Unladylike (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #1)
  • Time Travelling with a Hamster