Start by marking “Garden of the Purple Dragon (Dragon Keeper, #2)” as Want to Read:
Garden of the Purple Dragon (Dragon Keeper, #2)

Garden of the Purple Dragon (Dragon Keeper #2)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  4,847 Ratings  ·  183 Reviews
Ping is in hiding on the mountain slopes of Tai Shan, carrying out her promise to look after the baby purple dragon, Kai. She spends long days catching worms and caterpillars and tending to little Kai. But her peaceful life comes to an end when the imperial guards catch her, and take her back to Ming Yang lodge. New friends - and enemies - lie in wait and Ping has never fe ...more
Published February 1st 2008 by Macmillan Children's Books (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Garden of the Purple Dragon, please sign up.

Asteropê You don't read books on Goodreads. Goodreads is not a free library. You have to get the book by other means: borrow it from an actual library or a…moreYou don't read books on Goodreads. Goodreads is not a free library. You have to get the book by other means: borrow it from an actual library or a friend, buy the book from a store, etc. Goodreads is for discussing, reviewing, cataloging and sharing with others what books you read, what you thought of them and things like that. Goodreads cannot offer books to read as that'd be a violation of copyright. They only offer previews of books under copyright (and not all of them have previews). If you want to read a book, you have to get it yourself. In the future, if your school library or teacher does not have the book, try the public library where you live. (less)

Valerie
Apr 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ping is on another adventure but this one is a bit different with dragon sized problems, old enemies and maybe some new ones. Poor Ping. She is just so lonely in the beginning of the book. We start off the book with Ping alone with Kai, the small purple dragon. Trying to raise a dragon all by yourself without knowing for certain how to do it is a tall order to ask of a young girl. Needless to say Ping is struggling and when she stumbles onto the chance to regain most of what she lost at the end ...more
Sara
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5
Pero qué libro más adorable. De verdad.
Es increíble la de cosas que le pueden suceder a una niña pequeña, y lo valiente e inteligente que es. No faltan las aventuras ni la acción, ni los momentos tristes y los momentos alegres. Me ha encantado volver a recorrer el imperio con Ping y Hua, y conocer a Kai. Pero lo mejor, son las enseñanzas de vida que se pueden leer entre líneas.
Larashi
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure, 2010
dragon is always be my obsession. and this book revealed all the secrets. i love how Ping and Kai travelled and fighting together, the power of dragon suits really fit this novel.
Book Elf
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-book
Pages: 349
Series : Sequel to Dragon Keeper

Ping was the Dragon Keeper to the old Imperial Dragon Danzi but she had helped him escape. She was made the last Dragon Keeper and sworn to keep the baby dragon safe, but was caught by the Imperial soldiers. Now, her destiny was questioned. She knew that all the Keepers were male and this led to doubt her appointment. She even sever the post for a boy she thought was the real Dragon Keeper. Will she surrender the Dragon to the Emperor and stay away from
Mirrani
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Garden of the Purple Dragon wasn't as deeply rooted in dragon culture as the first book in this series, Dragon Keeper, had been, but it was still a wonderful read for me. I simply could not put this book down. The author must have spent countless hours researching the culture of China and all of the myth and legend surrounding the dragon in order to continue this series, because there is not a moment that has slacked in this aspect in any way.

I wasn't as pleased with Ping in this book, perhaps b
Khushi
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elise P
Nov 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was exceptionally brilliant. The story of main character Ping is compelling, her development through out the series is inspiring.

Carole Wilkinson's writing is writing at its best, the content is rich and very well researched and the mythology very believable compared to a lot of 'popular' books books on the market these days. (you all know the story i'm talking about :P)

In the beginning of this book Ping is living on the mountains of Tai Shan which pretty much is forbidden, so she figu
Ell Eastwood
Book series continues to be incredibly cute. Thought I missed Danzi in this book, Kai is also a pretty good dragon ... although the fact that it'll be several hundred, if not thousand, years before he can be a proper dragon and fly and stuff is a bit sad. Oh well.

Good twists in this one, they weren't super-obvious but were still set up in a way so that you could kinda see them coming. Ping's life really isn't easy though, is it? I kept waiting for her to run away with the princess and let's just
Liana
Ok Ping, I know you love Hua and all, and I myself really love rats too... but Jiminy Crickets missy, let the critter go before you cause more trouble...!

You should have seen me when I saw this book at my library - "OH MAH GWASH, IT'S DEH GARDEN OF DEH PUPU DWAGON!!! KEEEEWT!!!" I was so excited to read this sequel to Dragon Keeper, and I'm really glad that I did! It's amazing!

The story has a slow start, but it eventually warms up into an exciting plot. The first hundred pages or so features Pin
Nina
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I try to read my daughters books either before or with her so we can talk about the content or to make sure it doesnt have content not okay for her to read. She will be starting 4th grade next year but reads at a junior high school level. These two books by Carole Wilkinson are a very easy read for her but the content was fun and exiting. Both books are over 300 pages. I enjoyed them.
Taylor
Oct 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If you want to read it then read it
Recommended to Taylor by: my best friend
I read this book more than two years ago, so I don't really remeber much on it but all I know is that this series is addicting and full of twisted advernture!
Cydni
Sep 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved this book i really felt like i was there back in china in those times oing the main character as a girl was very responsible and made me feel like i wish i was more like her
Akshay Veeraraghavan
The Garden of the Purple Dragon [Dragon Keeper part 2] continues the journey of Ping who proves herself capable in taking care of the difficult baby dragon, Long Kai Duan. After months of hiding Ping finds herself captured the imperial guards which land her in the emperor's good hands and also safe from the evil necromancer who still chasing Ping and Kai. Ping also sets out on a journey to find her long lost journey to find her long lost journey—a quest that ends anticlimactically but at least j ...more
Nancy Hanson
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult-teen
I liked it. The author is consistent with her writing style and detail.

The story continues of Ping and Kai. They think they find safety in the Emperor's palace as Kai grows. But his obsession for long life is like an addiction. It eventually replaces all common sense and emotional feeling. Ping and Kai are no longer safe. She goes with the Princess to her husbands palace in Yan to heal and stay the winter.

Danzi has sent a map to Kai telling them where to go from Yan. That's the next book.
Chelsea
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read these books as a young teen and I absolutely adored them, the relationship between the main character and the dragons is enchanting and kept me reading the whole series!
Elketw
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Category: Books
Genre: Science Fiction & Fantasy
Author: Carole Wilkinson

Ketika bersembunyi di pegunungan Tai Shan bersama bayi naga ungu, Ping ditemukan oleh pengawal Kaisar dan dibawa ke Pondok Ming Yang. Sejak saat itu dia tinggal di Pondok tersebut, merawat Kaisi bayi nagadan mendapatkan kembali jabatan sebagai Pengurus Naga Kekaisaran. Kaisar mendirikan Garden of the Purple Dragon di Ming Yang, sebagai rumah bagi naga kaisar yang terakhir.

Saat Ping mulai terhanyut pada kehidupan yang
cindy
Berbeda dengan Dragon Keeper yang sangat simpel, sequelnya ini lebih kompleks dan menarik. Karakter-karakternya sudah tidak lagi hitam-putih, dan Ping banyak belajar tentang kebohongan dan pengkhianatan, tentang keinginan-keinginan yang saling bertolak belakang dan juga tentang rasa cemburu. Emosi-emosi yang tidak pernah dikenalnya dalam hidupnya yang lurus dan sederhana.

Menyambung alur kisah beberapa saat setelah Danzi dan Hua pergi ke Pulau Penuh Berkah, Ping memutuskan untuk membesarkan Kai -
Jordan Arnold
Oct 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 11-13 year olds
I think that this is one of the best books i've ever read. it is alot better then the first but the first one is still good. I liked it better then the first one becuase I think that it has more detail and a better adventure. I think that the adventure is better because it is about a baby dragon who is positive instead of an older dragon who just confuses the main character. the main character is a girl who is 12 and her name is Ping.
The story is basically about Ping. She struggles to take care
Buchdoktor
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Die Hüterin des Drachen", das Mädchen Ping, hatte den Drachen Danzi gepflegt und unter großen Gefahren auf die Insel der Seeligen in Sicherheit vor Drachenjägern gebracht. Nun haust sie mit einem stets hungrigen Drachenbaby im Tai Shan-Gebirge. Der kleine Long Kai Duan ist noch nicht höhlenrein und muss erst lernen, sein Futter selbst zu jagen. Hätte Danzi doch Ping rechtzeitig beigebracht, wie sie ein Drachenbaby aufziehen soll! Ping kann mit Drachen kommunizieren und hat einen sicheren Instin ...more
shanah
Feb 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd book, here Ping not with Danzi anymore but with Danzi babies, Kai.That becoming grow up....and also Ping can get heard what Kai said. They can talking each other like her with Danzi.

One day, the imperial guards found them from hiding on mountain. And took them to met with Emperor, Liu Che was Ping's friend.
They get safe place on that castle. And Liu Che give named one of the garden with "Garden of the Purple Dragon. Like color skin of Kai.

Here, Ping have to looking her self how t
Dec 03, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades 5-7
Shelves: children-fantasy
Ping tries hiding in the mountains with her baby dragon Kai but they are soon discovered by the imperial guards. The new young emperor Liu Che has been searching for the baby dragon ever since the old one disappeared (whose name was Danzi), and now he has what he has been desiring. However, Ping has one thing in her favor—she and Liu Che have gotten along in the past, so he decides to be kind to her again and gives her the position of Imperial Dragon Keeper. With this position she is able to be ...more
After her realization that her friend left a little surprise, the main characters responsibility now is to seek refuge for both her and her new companion. Along the tough roads of being a dragon keeper, the main character experiences the difficulties of raising a new friend as well as being its protector. Sticking to the ropes that her old friend taught her, the main character does what she can to stay out of trouble.

I thought this book was quite interesting. It captured the essence of adventure
Xinxin
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was the most awesome book ever!!! Loved it and it was quite humorous as well.
Lila Cyclist
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buku-pinzeman
kemanaaa...dimanaaa... Reviewku yg sudah kutulis barusan? Hikss... Nasib nulis review di hape. Well, the point is, I have finished reading the second logy of Dragon Keeper, setelah gosek sana sini dari toko buku online satu ke yang lainnya.

Cerita Dragon Keeper berakhir dengan perginya Danzi, si naga tua yg sakit parah dengan tikus kesayangan Ping, Hua. Ping sebagai Pengurus Naga harus berjuang seorang diri untuk mengasuh bayi naga yang baru saja menetas, Kai. Cerita melebar ke obsesi Kaisar Liu
Mandy
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the second book in the Dragon Keeper series, Garden of the Purple Dragon,Carole Wilkinson takes the story of former slave turned dragon keeper, Ping, to a new level. Faced with the dessertion of Danzi and the responsibility of raising his son, Kai, Ping is forced to grow in new ways. As always, Ping represents a strong female character in the middle grade fantasy genre and Wilkinson's prose paints a beautiful picture of not only Ancient China but also of the diversity of human character. In m ...more
♔Ƙƴℓιє♔
Carole Wilkinson has done it again. This book was just as good- if not better than the first. The progression in Ping's life from uncomfortable to safe was something I hadn't expected and I wondered what would happen to upset the peaceful situation. I immediately fell in love with Kai and instantly connected once more to Ping's character. I am still in love with the fact that this little 12 year old girl is so human and relatable in these stories. And without giving anything away the ending was ...more
Sol González
Una vez que Danzi abandona a Ping con la única compañía de Kai, ella debe de protegerlo como única misión y como guardiana del dragón.

Para ello tiene que pasar sobre el Nigromante que aún sigue persiguiendo a Kai y al mismísimo emperador. Aunque al principio la aventura no parece sino una continua etapa de niñera, cuidando y alimentando a un bebé… Ping se desespera, porque nadie le ha dado las instrucciones para poder llevar a cabo su tarea y duda continuamente de si la esta ejecutando adecuadam
Deirdre
Nov 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second story in the series and interesting. However, there was a bit of a reading gap between book 1 and book 2 and I found it a little difficult to get into the swing of the book. Ping is a great character and her heart is with the Dragon.

I could see some of what was going to happen flagged pretty clearly in the story but it was the overall story and the growth in the characters that kept me going.

Interesting series and I'm going to have to keep going with it, possibly with a quicke
Little Miss Lynsey
Jan 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dragon lovers and adventure lover
Recommended to Little Miss by: my friend tara recomended the first one and i found the second o
i liked this book for several reasons but one reason is because she chose my fav colour for kai i was hoping danzi would turn up at the end but he didnt but there was the silk cloth.
i liked liu che in the first book better ( over protective phyco! ) yes he was over potective of his sister... mean..ish to ping my overall result for him is not that good.
i liked the princess she was nice. i wonder what her name is cos i dont think it is in the book, if it is i didnt notice.
the way i picture kai was
Rebecca Monson
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have
Today I am talking about a great book series i started this when i was 12 and read all of the first three books that were out at that time, I have recently found out that the amazing author Carole Wilkinson, has made two more books in the series and i have order them on QBD.

The series first follows a young orphan girl and the aging dragon her master was keeping locked up, and runs away and is chased by a dragon hunter. The books are set in ancient China, during the Han Dynasty. The books are viv
The Dragon's Lair: Garden of the Purple Dragon 2 4 Apr 21, 2013 07:32AM
  • Master of the Books
  • The Red Wind (The Kingdom of the Lost #1)
  • The Locket of Dreams
  • Song for a Scarlet Runner
  • Eagle (Five Ancestors, #5)
  • The Dragon's Eye (Dragonology Chronicles, #1)
  • Rowan and the Travelers (Rowan of Rin, #2)
  • The Coming of Dragons (The Darkest Age, #1)
  • The Coming of the Whirlpool (Ship Kings, #1)
  • Just a Dog
  • The Starkin Crown
  • Ghost Hunter (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #6)
  • Grace
  • The Mystery  (Troubletwisters, #3)
  • Dark Fire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #5)
  • The Hush
  • Word of Honour (The Laws of Magic, #3)
  • Toppling
Carole was born in England in 1950. Her family moved to Australia when she was 12. She now lives in Melbourne, with her husband John.
Carole didn't start writing until she was nearly 40. Before that, she worked as a laboratory assistant, working with a lot of blood and brains. Once she’d decided to try and become a writer, she went to university. She wrote a lot while she was there including her f
More about Carole Wilkinson...

Dragon Keeper (6 books)
  • Dragon Keeper (Dragon Keeper, #1)
  • Dragon Moon (Dragon Keeper, #3)
  • Blood Brothers (Dragon Keeper, #4)
  • Shadow Sister (Dragon Keeper, #5)
  • Bronze Bird Tower (Dragon Keeper, #6)