Start by marking “Warsan vs Melancholy” as Want to Read:
Warsan vs Melancholy

Warsan vs Melancholy

Audiobook, 7 pages

To ask other readers questions about Warsan vs Melancholy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warsan vs Melancholy

Tea Nicolae
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
amazing, beautiful woman, who burned my brain.
an adapted verion of her poetry in lemonade: "I tried to change. Closed my mouth more, tried to be softer, prettier, less awake. Fasted for 60 days, wore white, abstained from mirrors, abstained from sex, slowly did not speak another word. In that time, my hair, I grew past my ankles. I slept on a mat on the floor. I swallowed a sword. I levitated. Went to the basement, confessed my sins, and was baptized in a river. I got on my knees and said ‘amen
Guiam
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an audio book, available on her bandcamp. It contains one of her most famous poem "for women who are "difficult" to love". The whole work is painfully beautiful, and hearing Warsan herself reading her work is a great experience.
It personally made me cry so much but also feel a lot better going through my breakup as cliché as it sounds.
The audio is not 100% perfect but the little white noise and lowish quality of the micro adds to the closeness of it all, in my opinion.
André
Oct 08, 2016 added it
beautiful.
Adira
These poems come in audio form, but after listening to Warsan Shire recite them aloud, I had to go onto Google and find hard copies to really sit down and grasp what she was saying.

My favorite poems were:
-"for women who are difficult to love (the affirmation)" [of course 🤓]: I like how this poem speaks to the strength of being "untamable." It's a given that you won't be loved by everyone, but the beauty lies in knowing that that's okay and being able to pick yourself up and collect your love to
Saorikins
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"I don’t know when love became elusive. What I know is no one I know has it."

"Dear moon, we blame you for floods…for the flush of blood…for men who are also wolves."

"I tried to change.
Closed my mouth more.
Tried to be softer, prettier.
Less…awake."

I know this feelings, they aren't pretty, but her words are...
Kimmie Larsen
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Warsan Shire is my favorite contemporary poet--if not my favorite poet of all time. I am desperate for more work by her. This is an audio poem that you can listen to on bandcamp and her voice is so profoundly moving and melodious. A lot of what is in this work was also featured in Lemonade, and I cannot stress how important I find both Warsan and Beyonce's work.
Logan
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was ok

Imagine reading way too many sappy, edgy, love-and-loss poems and then being asked to write one of your own. Couple that generic style with an ASMR-quality microphone and you've got this collection of audio poems. Nothing against the author (I know her books are very good), but this really didn't resonate with me. At least it wasn't physically painful to listen to.
Dawn
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
1. remove Warsan's name
2. Replace it with your name
you are now armed with a weapon suitable for combating melancholy! Comfort for sad days. I am oh so appreciative of Warsan's words. Listen to it on her bandcamp: https://warsanshire.bandcamp.com/
Oya Akdogan
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Painfully beautiful.
Took my breath away.
Kim Grainger
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I hear your voice in hers
Kaitlyn
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This collection actually made me cry. It takes a lot for words to do that.
Deccara McHardy
  • Southern Horrors: Lynch Law in All Its Phases
  • God's Trombones: Seven Negro Sermons in Verse
  • Diary of an Ugly Duckling
  • Black Panther: World of Wakanda #4
  • Aya de Yopougon, Tome 5 (Aya, #5)
  • Painted Hands
  • Your Family, Your Body
  • Night Hawk
  • Homemade Love
  • The Penguin Book of Modern African Poetry
  • Sisters' Entrance
  • Perennials
  • Daily Readings from Every Day a Friday: 90 Devotions to Be Happier 7 Days a Week
  • Loving Donovan
  • Amazing Peace: A Christmas Poem
  • A Good Cry: What We Learn From Tears and Laughter
  • Seven Spools of Thread: A Kwanzaa Story
  • More Church Folk
Warsan Shire is a 24 year old Kenyan-born Somali poet, writer and educator based in London. Born in 1988, Warsan has read her work extensively all over Britain and internationally - including recent readings in South Africa, Italy, Germany, Canada, North America and Kenya- and her début book, 'TEACHING MY MOTHER HOW TO GIVE BIRTH' (flipped eye), was published in 2011. Her poems have been published ...more