Start by marking “The Picture of Dorian Gray: A Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
The Picture of Dorian Gray: A Graphic Novel

The Picture of Dorian Gray: A Graphic Novel

Youth! Youth! There is absolutely nothing in the world worth having but youth!

The Picture of Dorian Gray is a graphic adaptation of Oscar Wilde’s classic work, stunningly re-imagined by writer Ian Edginton and artist I.N.J. Culbard. This Gothic morality tale is the story of a man who, taken by his own beauty, pledges his soul in a desperate bid for eternal youth. But wh
Published January 26th 2009 by Sterling (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Picture of Dorian Gray, please sign up.
me The art of this book is not valuable without existence...

Start your review of The Picture of Dorian Gray: A Graphic Novel
Bionic Jean
For my review of the full text by Oscar Wilde, please link here.

Ian Edginton has written many screenplays, and graphic novels. Here he has done a workmanlike job of adapting Oscar Wilde's Faustian tale into a graphic narrative format. The accompanying monochrome illustrations are by I.N.J. Culbard, who is primarily a director of animated films. This is his first graphic novel. It is competent, but not attractive. The drawings are cartoon caricatures, bold and striking, but spare. There is little
Roya
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite
"If it were only the other way! If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that-for that-I would give everything! Yes, there is nothing in the whole world I would not give! I would give my soul for that!"
A couple of years ago at the MET I picked up a copy of this book featuring some of Oscar Wilde's best quotes. I threw it out (sorry, Mom!) after marring it with my unnecessary scribblings, but based on the quotes it had from this book, I decided I'd gi
Alice (MTB/Alice Tied The Bookish Knot)
I'm not going to lie. I hated the majority of the storyline but what propelled me to give this graphic novel 4 stars, was how atmospheric it came across. The illustrations were in black and white and most were very creepy. Could it be a good read for Halloween? *ticks that box*

Not read the original novel!
Erin Dunn
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my all time favorite book so of course I enjoyed the graphic novel. :)
Elizabeth Sulzby
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not a good idea to try to put this novel into graphic form. Almost none of the aesthetic/literacy/philosophical/wit of Oscar Wilde's original version translated. And the facial representation of the stylized graphics was tremendously disappointing.
Nancy
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was a rather short adaptation of the morality tale, so it ended up being more of an introduction than a complete retelling of the story. Some of Wilde’s biting wit made it into the story, but the black and white illustrations were rather simple and cartoonish. I hope that after reading this adaptation, young readers will then move onto the original.
Sesana
Jan 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: adaptation, comics
A good adaptation of a great book. Edginton's script does a great job of condensing Wilde's novel without losing any of the flavor. I'm not a huge fan of the art, it was just a little too abstracted for my taste. But overall, a good job.
Kai Charles(Fiction State Of Mind)
I found this Graphic Novel in the bargain bin at Banes & Noble. I wasn't familiar with this publisher but the cover art really drew me in. I enjoy seeing adaptions of classic books in the graphic novel format, I think its a great bridge to introduce readers to the graphic novel format.

Dorian Gray really does well in this illustrated format. Dorian is a young lord living the life of comfort his money and title afford him. His would probable been one of comfort, security , a few scandalous affairs
Melissa Chung
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel has made me want to read the original. What lovely grimness. To be so full of vanity and sin, to live in perfect youthfulness.

Dorian Gray traded his virtue and innocence for youthful longevity. He prayed to a self portrait that he may keep his beautiful face and that he never have to whither and grow old and age. To be loved forever. Yet....With this trade he was unhappy.

I believe Harry to be the devil in disguise. How else could he have had so much influence on a person. Thi
Emma
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
The Picture of Dorian Gray is probably the last book that should be made into a graphic novel. The slow, simmering story is boiled down and shaved away until only the bare structure of the plot remains. Oscar Wilde's dialogue cannot and should not be squeezed into a word bubble in incomprehensible fine print. They cut out most of the interesting elements of the original book, including it's Aestheticism, allusions and symbolism, and most surprisingly of all, Basil's feelings for Dorian. Overall ...more
Ariel Jensen
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn’t enjoy the original novel and the graphic novel is only slightly better. It races through the muddled story & oversimplifies the already unpleasant characters, but there are pictures, so... ...more
Liubov
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not bad.. I liked the drawings: they seem to be simple and made in black and white, but they are very suitable for the story.. And the story itself is gorgeous but I guess everyone knows it..
Michael Sorbello
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
A charming and eccentric young man named Dorian Gray falls into the temptation of eternal youth and beauty. He is swept into a social whirlwind when he journeys to London by the charismatic Henry Wotton who introduces him to the new and exotic pleasures of the city. Henry then introduces Dorian to his artistic friend Basil Hallward who paints a portrait of Dorian to capture the eternal essence of his unmatched beauty and grace. When the portrait is unveiled, Dorian vows that he would sacrifice h ...more
Ellie (ermreading)
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Actually a 3.5 stars

My review is based on the adaptation alone, the story and the characters are Oscar Wilde's and I've already rated the original novel 5 stars.

On the whole, a pretty good adaptation, there were little bits missing which I didn't really understand considering the original novel is so short but oh well.

I don't think the art style worked well at all to represent Oscar's work, it felt very childish which clashed horribly with Wilde's nuanced style.

Overall a decent enough adaptatio
Joy Lim
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
While it is of course, beautifully written by Oscar Wilde, the story line to me was a bit too incredulous, though intriguing. It will never happen in real life for sure, but in many ways I think each one of us has a version of this painting, maybe in the form of a different object, or so we wish, that would absorb our guilt, our negative thoughts, as we strive to remain pure in the eyes of humanity.
Kayleen
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have not read the novel, but have loved the story for years. Found this at a thrift store and was pretty excited. I'm not a big fan of how it was drawn, nor how short it was. Like I said I haven't read the novel so I do not know how close they kept to the original but I found it very choppy, especially towards the end. I hope there's a different graphic novel of Dorian Gray that I can enjoy more.
BooksonHold
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
An illustrated sparknotes that makes you actually want to read and finish the original?... Perhaps.

I have only read the first couple of chapters of the original and it was tedious as most classic reads are to me. But I really wanted know the story and so when I saw this in the library, I knew it was a chance to read a classic.

Benedikte
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
I haven't read the novel and read this mostly to finally get the full story.

I did not feel as though a got the full story, more like a strongly abridged version. Obviously it would be shorter but the growth of the characters was not given time.

The artwork was nice, but it did not feel like it added much to the story.
Yusuf
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
I haven't read many graphic novel adaptations, but l guess some novels don't really make much sense when they turn into graphic novels. And l'm afraid this is one of them. It was a waste of time, thankfully l doesn't take much time to finish it. That's a plus.
J-Readsalot
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure it's worth my reviewing the story in this book since everyone is so familiar with it. But if you haven't actually read this original version then it is well worth doing so, if you can cope with the beautiful classic writing style.
Jonathan Demoss
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This screenplay was actually a lot better than I thought it was going to be, as it had fun characters, and a very good plot. This book also had a lot of twists and turns for such a small piece of writing which I thought was impressive.
Agapi Gregoriou Loreléy
"Behind every exquisite thing that existed there was a tragedy..."
Charliy Fox
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Was a little short and blunt but I got the gist, I will definitely be reading the original version.
Carmen

• The Complete Sherlock Holmes: Volume II
  • Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet
  • The Complete Stories and Poems
  • Gulliver's Travels / A Modest Proposal
  • William Shakespeare's: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Retellings, #2)
  • Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre: Readers' Guides to Essential Criticism
  • William Golding, Lord of the flies Penguin Study Notes
  • A Christmas Carol / The Chimes / The Cricket on the Hearth
  • The Time Machine/The Invisible Man
  • Emily Brontë: Wuthering Heights: Critical Studies
  • The Brontë Sisters: Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre
  • Jane Eyre - The Graphic Novel
Edginton sees part of the key to his success coming from good relationships with artists, especially D'Israeli and Steve Yeowell as well as Steve Pugh and Mike Collins. He is best known for his steampunk/alternative history work (often with the artist D'Israeli) and is the co-creator of Scarlet Traces, a sequel to their adaptation of H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds. With 2000 AD we has written L ...more

News & Interviews