Start by marking “The Picture of Dorian Gray: A Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
The Picture of Dorian Gray: A Graphic Novel

The Picture of Dorian Gray: A Graphic Novel

Youth! Youth! There is absolutely nothing in the world worth having but youth!

The Picture of Dorian Gray is a graphic adaptation of Oscar Wilde’s classic work, stunningly re-imagined by writer Ian Edginton and artist I.N.J. Culbard. This Gothic morality tale is the story of a man who, taken by his own beauty, pledges his soul in a desperate bid for eternal youth. But wh
Published January 26th 2009 by Sterling (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Picture of Dorian Gray, please sign up.
Simone Rajput The art of this book is not valuable without existence...

Bionic Jean
For my review of the full text by Oscar Wilde, please link here.

Ian Edginton has written many screenplays, and graphic novels. Here he has done a workmanlike job of adapting Oscar Wilde's Faustian tale into a graphic narrative format. The accompanying monochrome illustrations are by I.N.J. Culbard, who is primarily a director of animated films. This is his first graphic novel. It is competent, but not attractive. The drawings are cartoon caricatures, bold and striking, but spare. There is little
Roya
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite
"If it were only the other way! If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that-for that-I would give everything! Yes, there is nothing in the whole world I would not give! I would give my soul for that!"
A couple of years ago at the MET I picked up a copy of this book featuring some of Oscar Wilde's best quotes. I threw it out (sorry, Mom!) after marring it with my unnecessary scribblings, but based on the quotes it had from this book, I decided I'd give
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
I'm not going to lie. I hated the majority of the storyline but what propelled me to give this graphic novel 4 stars, was how atmospheric it came across. The illustrations were in black and white and most were very creepy. Could it be a good read for Halloween? *ticks that box*

Not read the original novel!
Angie
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Κρίνοντας αποκλειστικα την εικονογράφηση και την επιλογή αποσπασμάτων έχω να πω πως πρόκειται για καλή προσπάθεια αν και θα μου άρεζε να είχε και χρώμα. Βέβαια σε καμία περίπτωση ένα graphic novel δεν υποκαθιστα το αρχικο βιβλίο. Θα έλεγα πως το συνοδεύει. Αν έχεις διαβάσει το Πορτρέτο του Ντόριαν Γκρέι σίγουρα θα βρεις πολλες "ελλειψεις" αλλά αυτό είναι λογικό μιας και πρέπει να ελαχιστοποιηθεί η έκταση. Καλό αλλά όχι και το καλύτερο που έχω δει.
Erin Dunn
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my all time favorite book so of course I enjoyed the graphic novel. :)
Nancy
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was a rather short adaptation of the morality tale, so it ended up being more of an introduction than a complete retelling of the story. Some of Wilde’s biting wit made it into the story, but the black and white illustrations were rather simple and cartoonish. I hope that after reading this adaptation, young readers will then move onto the original.
Karla
*Línea 4b. Novela gráfica o manga*

Sigo pensando que no habrá imagen que pueda representar el retrato de Dorian Gray, pero me gustó la idea de los clásicos a las novelas gráficas. Incluso me dieron ganas de releer la historia.
Sesana
Jan 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, adaptation
A good adaptation of a great book. Edginton's script does a great job of condensing Wilde's novel without losing any of the flavor. I'm not a huge fan of the art, it was just a little too abstracted for my taste. But overall, a good job.
Fiction State Of Mind
I found this Graphic Novel in the bargain bin at Banes & Noble. I wasn't familiar with this publisher but the cover art really drew me in. I enjoy seeing adaptions of classic books in the graphic novel format, I think its a great bridge to introduce readers to the graphic novel format.

Dorian Gray really does well in this illustrated format. Dorian is a young lord living the life of comfort his money and title afford him. His would probable been one of comfort, security , a few scandalous aff
Melissa Chung
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel has made me want to read the original. What lovely grimness. To be so full of vanity and sin, to live in perfect youthfulness.

Dorian Gray traded his virtue and innocence for youthful longevity. He prayed to a self portrait that he may keep his beautiful face and that he never have to whither and grow old and age. To be loved forever. Yet....With this trade he was unhappy.

I believe Harry to be the devil in disguise. How else could he have had so much influence on a person. Thi
Pía Andrea
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libros-favoritos
Este libro lo leí cuando tenía aproximadamente 16 años, lo adoré con la vida y a pesar que el autor no es mi persona favorita (por toda su historia y su opinión acerca de las mujeres) siento que la forma en que está plasmada el arte, la belleza, la juventud y otros temas dentro de la novela no podrá superarse jamás. La historia ya la conocen pero leerla, es otra otra experiencia!!! Te consume y te hace reflexionar acerca de todo lo que crees.
Seher Kaya
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Çizimleri hiç begenmedim. Sanki internetten kitabın özeti okunmuş öyle yazılıp çizilmiş gibi.
Emma
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
The Picture of Dorian Gray is probably the last book that should be made into a graphic novel. The slow, simmering story is boiled down and shaved away until only the bare structure of the plot remains. Oscar Wilde's dialogue cannot and should not be squeezed into a word bubble in incomprehensible fine print. They cut out most of the interesting elements of the original book, including it's Aestheticism, allusions and symbolism, and most surprisingly of all, Basil's feelings for Dorian. Overall ...more
Ghada Said
قصة مخيفه ، تلمس ذلك الجزء الخفى فى نفوسنا لشد ما يختلف تأثير قراءتها فى الصف الاول الاعدادى عن قراءتها فى الجامعة . طرق جرئ للنفس البشرية يعطيك قدرا لابأس به من الشجاعة .
Olga
Jul 04, 2016 rated it liked it
*Read in Spanish.
Ellie (Addicted2Daydreaming)
Actually a 3.5 stars

My review is based on the adaptation alone, the story and the characters are Oscar Wilde's and I've already rated the original novel 5 stars.

On the whole, a pretty good adaptation, there were little bits missing which I didn't really understand considering the original novel is so short but oh well.

I don't think the art style worked well at all to represent Oscar's work, it felt very childish which clashed horribly with Wilde's nuanced style.

Overall a decent enough adaptatio
Joy Lim
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
While it is of course, beautifully written by Oscar Wilde, the story line to me was a bit too incredulous, though intriguing. It will never happen in real life for sure, but in many ways I think each one of us has a version of this painting, maybe in the form of a different object, or so we wish, that would absorb our guilt, our negative thoughts, as we strive to remain pure in the eyes of humanity.
Kayleen
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have not read the novel, but have loved the story for years. Found this at a thrift store and was pretty excited. I'm not a big fan of how it was drawn, nor how short it was. Like I said I haven't read the novel so I do not know how close they kept to the original but I found it very choppy, especially towards the end. I hope there's a different graphic novel of Dorian Gray that I can enjoy more.
BooksonHold
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
An illustrated sparknotes that makes you actually want to read and finish the original?... Perhaps.

I have only read the first couple of chapters of the original and it was tedious as most classic reads are to me. But I really wanted know the story and so when I saw this in the library, I knew it was a chance to read a classic.

Benedikte
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
I haven't read the novel and read this mostly to finally get the full story.

I did not feel as though a got the full story, more like a strongly abridged version. Obviously it would be shorter but the growth of the characters was not given time.

The artwork was nice, but it did not feel like it added much to the story.
Mira Sukov
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Una metáfora genial sobre las diferencias posibles entre el interior y el exterior de un ser. Juzgamos a nuestros semejantes por su aspecto sin saber nunca del todo lo que habita en su interior, porque todos escondemos algún secreto.
Hulda
Isabel OK
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic
A little dull at points but the ending did not disappoint! I read it while traveling through Europe which was the right decision.
Nolan
I liked the book
Guy
Charliy Fox
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Was a little short and blunt but I got the gist, I will definitely be reading the original version.
  • Moby Dick
  • Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (Literature Guide: Grades 4-8)
  • Ethan Frome and Selected Stories
  • Essential Dialogues of Plato
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories
  • The Further Adventures of Robinson Crusoe
  • The Complete Sherlock Holmes: Volume II
Edginton sees part of the key to his success coming from good relationships with artists, especially D'Israeli and Steve Yeowell as well as Steve Pugh and Mike Collins. He is best known for his steampunk/alternative history work (often with the artist D'Israeli) and is the co-creator of Scarlet Traces, a sequel to their adaptation of H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds. With 2000 AD we has written L ...more