Start by marking “Dark Matter” as Want to Read:
Dark Matter

Dark Matter

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  163,959 ratings  ·  22,411 reviews

From the author of the bestselling Wayward Pines trilogy, Dark Matter is a New York Times bestselling tale that is at once sweeping and intimate, mind-bendingly strange and profoundly human - a relentlessly surprising thriller about choices, paths not taken, and how far we'll go to claim the lives we dream of.

'Are you happy in your life?'

Those are the last words Jason Des

Published August 11th 2016 by Macmillan (first published July 26th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Matter, please sign up.
Jeremy Sometimes.
Often not.
A lot of pages read like this.
Broken.
Up.
Needlessly.
Jamie Rich To me, it's almost more of a love story and choices not made thingy?

·  163,959 ratings  ·  22,411 reviews

Emily May
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2016, botm
I suppose we’re both just trying to come to terms with how horrifying infinity really is.

This book made me feel tiny. It was overwhelming and scary, but oh so very gripping too.

Dark Matter is the kind of compelling "I must know WTF is going on" book that makes you forget about everything else you had to do that day. You step into this world - this absolute mind fuck of a world that will tug at both your heart strings and your brain cells - and you don't want to come out until you know how it
Regan
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5

This book f*cked me up.
Jennifer Masterson
LOVED IT!!! This book is insanity in a box! 5 stars! Believe the hype! Do not read many reviews! If you like sci fi or want something different and can suspend disbelief read or listen to this book!

This is the audio version review! The audio narrated by actor, Jon Lindstrom, is as good as it gets! He was the perfect narrator for "Dark Matter". This man was born to narrate books! He's that good!

"Dark Matter" starts out pretty simple and then very quickly it turns insane and just keeps getting cra
Lola
It's terrifying when you consider that every thought we have, every choice we could possibly make, creates a new world.

Dark Matter, to be blunt, is miles and miles away from the line that marks my ‘‘comfort zone.’’ I never, or very, very seldom, read books such as this one.

But the truth is, I never read a book like Dark Matter before.

It’s a love story, it’s a thriller, it’s a science fiction book.

It’s thought-provoking, gripping, action-filled.

It makes you think about life and family and what
Justin
Jul 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the premise of this story.
Are we really happy? What if we made different decisions in life?
What if we could live out choices we never made but wished we did?
What if we went left instead of right?
Straight.
Backward.
Diagon Alley.
Harry Potter.
The premise was very interesting. The stuff about the box and the multiverse and even the science at times was interesting.
Why couldn't you pull that off, Andy Weir?
The plot is so fast-paced and relentless. Even if you aren't fully invested, you want t
Matthew
Best way to sum this up - one of the most unique and original stories I have read in a long time. 75% of this book I cannot give you a similar example of from another story.

I can see why others have said it is tough to review without spoiling. EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS BEFORE IT GETS SPOILED FOR YOU!

It is the perfect balance of suspense, action, sci-fi, romance, and WHAT THE HECK!?!? I was enthralled the entire time and did not want to put it down (but we all have to sleep and work sometime, rig
Jeffrey Keeten
*****NO SPOILERS, I SWEAR.*****

”What if all the pieces of belief and memory that comprise who I am--my profession, Daniela, my son--are nothing but a tragic misfiring in that gray matter between my ears? Will I keep fighting to be the man I think I am? Or will I disown him and everything he loves, and step into the skin of the person this world would like for me to be?

And if I have lost my mind, what then?

What if everything I know is wrong?

No. Stop.

I am not losing my mind.”

There is nothing more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This reread on Audio was good! I enjoyed the narrator!

I just read the craziest book and it was so good. I was going along wanting to find out what in the world has happened to Jason! Why has he lost his identity. Who are these people after him! I mean one minute, you have a wife and kid and then you don't. Your in another world .. ish.

AND. THEN. IT. WAS. DOWN. THE. RABBIT. HOLE. Just trying to enjoy this book and they lured me right on down that hole!

So now. What am I going to say in this rev
شيماء ✨
What, with all due respect, the absolute fuck was this book.

How do you even start getting over this? How does that happen to someone? I feel very....mmmmm what's the word....confused? lost? so thoroughly mind-fucked? I swear to god my soul has aged for an entire century since I started this book. I wish I could just hollow out a loaf of bread fresh out of the oven and lay in it for a week. Or maybe just sit on top of a mountain, drink some oolong and not think for a month or two. I don't know. M
Chelsea Humphrey
Dr. Mr. Crouch,

I was first introduced to your work via my Aunt Janet “The Librarian” years ago; she started me off with your Andrew Z. Thomas/Luther Kite series and I knew I’d found a new favorite author. I branched out on my own and decided to try the Wayward Pines series; somehow I ended up liking that even more than the previous. I was on a roll! Months ago, when I first saw your new book listed on NetGalley, it was vague and sneaky, both things I like in a book, but I decided to wait on requ
Melissa
Wow. Mind-blown. Amazed. Completely enamored.
This book shook me up, made me think and held my heart captive.

“description”/

I’m beyond impressed with Blake Crouch’s writing. The philosophical nature of this story and his ability to paint such a vivid world with his words really got to me. It shook me to my core.

“Are you happy in your life?”

I’m the first to admit, science-fiction isn’t my thing. Not my go-to genre or even one I read with any type of consistency. In fact, it was seeing sci-fi in the blurb tha
karen
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
congratulations! semifinalist in goodreads' best science fiction category 2016!

what is this book….???

i suppose it's best described as a sci fi/speculative fiction love story with philosophy sauce all over it.

it's also another one of those reviewing-on-eggshells books, because of all the spoilers that could possibly be spoilt, where we're going to have to dance our way around a bunch of important nouns and verbs.

so, this little puzzle book of genre-blending mastery... i know i wrote "love story"
Mischenko
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What on Earth can I say about this book? I don’t even know how to describe it. I’m just going to say it was totally AWESOME!!! It's an incredibly unique page-turner and I couldn't put it down.

This was my first read by Blake Crouch and Dark Matter was literally an action packed roller coaster ride! I was thoroughly engaged and engrossed by the story. I went into this book totally blind and had no idea of the plot. Also, there were surprises along the way-- the book is unpredictable--and I remaine
Hannah Greendale
Click here to watch a video review of on my BookTube channel, From Beginning to Bookend.

To describe this book would be to distract from the elements of surprise, mystery and thrilling confusion found within its pages. Dark Matter is best picked up with as little knowledge of the story as possible and its events explored with the same sense of vulnerable astonishment as the protagonist, Jason Dessen.

The pacing and structure of this novel are brilliant. Events unfold in evermore enticing ways, a
Evgnossia O'Hara
Review was originally published on Through the Chapters|Blog

"We all live day to day completely oblivious to the fact that we're a part of a much larger and stranger reality than we can possibly imagine.”

I can securely declare that this book have changed the way I perceive the world and my existence in the universe.

But first things first. Dark Matter portraits an ordinary, middle aged professor, Jason Dessen, having a peaceful evening with his wife and his teenage son. After his decision to m
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*4.5 stars!*

Boxes and multiverses and quantum physics, oh my!

This is one thought-provoking, page-turning, blood-pressure-elevating, fast-paced son of a book, and I enjoyed every little action-packed minute of it!

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious."—Einstein

I don’t read much science-fiction, and for that reason I’m gonna go ahead and say you don’t have to be a scifi veteran in order to get sucked into the brilliance of this one. You don't even have to be that big a fa
Kemper
I’m late to the party on this one, and judging by all the 4 and 5 star reviews I can only assume that the mob will be after me with pitchforks and torches for 3 starring it. Come at me, Goodreads!

Jason Dessen is just an average guy with a wife and son he loves, and a job teaching physics at a small college. One night he goes out to meet a friend for drinks, but he ends up being kidnapped by a mysterious man who somehow rips him out of his life and drops him in the middle of a nightmare.

This is o
Paromjit
Dark Matter is a book that thrills, horrifies and asks deep philosophical questions. It begins with Jason, a physics professor surrounded by his beloved wife, Daniela, and his teenage son, Charlie, cooking supper. He steps out to meet with a long time friend, Ryan, who has been awarded a prestigious prize. On his way home, Jason is abducted, after which life as he knew it shatters.

I found myself seeing the book through the lens of the band, The Talking Heads...their album titles, song titles and
Elyse Walters
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was hooked right away. Exciting -page turner- extremely fast pacing as rumors have spread.

The author has a unique style of writing- very short sentences. "SHOTS OF ADRENALINE"!!!
He also creates clear images from the start -- visuals of family life....[Thurs. night is family night with Jason, Daniela, and their son Charlie].
The dialogue is intimate - but at times the narration felt laborious - however the author draws us in anyway.

I liked this story... It's almost impossible to put it down -
emma
Ohhhh boy I am daunted by the idea of writing this review.

As many people know, I do a VERY adorable thing where I read a book and then don’t feel like reviewing it straight away so I put it off for a bit and then suddenly it’s been four months and I don’t remember a godforsaken thing about it and I am a shell of the person I used to be when I read the book and the shell of a person isn’t where the book memories are stored!!

Also part of this adorable review-writing process: starting out infinite
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(4.5) This is the cure to a reading slump!

Sci-fi/Thriller mixed together is one of my favorite combo. I wasn't able to put this book down and kept trying to figure out how it would end... I didn't.

The characters and dialogues could have been better and it overall read like a script for a movie.
I'm generally more of a plot driven reader so it wasn't an issue for me.

Totally recommend!
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Blake Crouch is a very tricky guy. *Warning-this is a mostly gif review because I have no clue on how to review it without spoiling.*

You really can't review his books without giving them away. A buddy and I were talking about him last night, it feels like HE isn't even sure where the story is going. But you better hang on because it's always a bumpy ride.
Palm Springs commercial photography

This one starts out just like a normal book. (I'm not spoiling for this part) Jason Dessen is just an average guy. He is married to his long t
Warda
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I'm bumping this up to a 5 stars. Even though it's been a few hours since I finished reading it, I genuinely cannot stop thinking about it. This book was bonkers! SO good! Sci-fi was never a genre I gravitated towards, but now I want to read them all!

This book poses the question of “Are you happy in your life?”, after the main character is abducted one night. It's a question the kidnapper poses to him, which leads to them 'swapping lives'. The plot is centred around the initial question po
Maxwell
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, i-own-it, botm
If you liked the film Interstellar, you might like this. I did not like Interstellar.

I found the plot to be intriguing, but not particularly original. It felt like a rehashing of many stories. The themes were pretty much exactly what you'd expect to find in a book about multiple universes: life, love, decisions, fate, acceptance, etc.

And the dialogue was mediocre at best. There were some lines that had me laughing out loud...and they weren't supposed to be funny. "It felt like it was the first
Maureen
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
4.5 Big Fat Stars*

*Thank you to Netgalley and Pan Macmillan for my ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review*

Well - what a ride that was! Not just any old roller coaster ride though (definitely not) but one that was really quite unique. What's this ride about? Well, it's definitely a thrill a minute ride that's for sure, but it's also a love story between Jason & Daniela Dessen, and if that isn't enough, it's mixed with a great big dollop of sci-fi.

The opening scene is one of complete dom
Dana Ilie
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, bookclub
This book is mind-bending, mind-blowing, head-spinning, addictive, fast, intelligent and bold. From the first page you are pulled into the story which goes spiralling down the rabbit hole. I was on the edge of my seat all throughout the read, not knowing what was going to happening next. Also, the plot is not just about what the book blurb says. It goes way deep. This book is introspective. As Jason, our protagonist, questions the choices he made in his life, you as a reader do the same too. And ...more
Petrik
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Petrik by: Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
4.5/5 Stars

(My last review of 2016 and I’m really glad it’s this book that I chose. Thank you very much to one of my GR best friend Mary for recommending this book to me.)

“Are you happy with your life?”

Single question that you’ve probably wondered or been asked several times throughout your life. How far will you go to save the one you love? Do you ever have any regrets in your life and wondered what would happen if you didn’t make that mistake?

Obviously we all have regrets, we lose someone, w
Dan Schwent
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dan by: Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
On the way home from the local bar, Jason Dessen is ambushed by an unknown assailant in a geisha mask. After being injected with something, Jason wakes up and his world has been turned upside down...

As I mentioned in the past, I tend to resist books with any amount of hype attached. I even passed on this when it initially came up on Netgalley. However, the gang at Goodreads made me change my mind. So, yeah, the gang was right. Every once in a while, a book feels like it was written with my admit
Norma * Traveling Sister
4.5 Stars!

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch was a very addicting read! It was mostly a science fiction novel with a little bit of romance and some suspense to make it a most enjoyable read. All three of those components is what I really liked about this novel. I was hooked from the very first chapter!

While the story started out really strong for me there were some portions of this novel that I just didn't get and it was a little hard to follow the mechanics of it all. I think that if there was less o
jessica
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I. AM. SHOOK. this book is totally living in the year 2080 and i cant keep up. its. that. good.

this book is everything that is right in the sci-fi world. this is proof that sci-fi can be written exceptionally well and appeal to the masses, regardless of individual genre preferences.

i will admit i wasnt a fan of the ending (like, how is my brain even suppose to process that?!), but i am a fan of the book overall. i thought it was highly-thought out and thought-provoking. it was a thriller but a
YA Buddy Readers'...: Dark Matter by Blake Crouch - Restarting February 27th 2019 97 146 Feb 27, 2019 06:05AM
What would you do? 4 134 Jan 16, 2019 07:34PM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Underground Railroad
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Lexicon
  • Kill Process
  • All Our Wrong Todays
  • Archetype (Archetype, #1)
  • Love Minus Eighty
  • Machine Learning: New and Collected Stories
  • Version Control
  • Fortune's Pawn (Paradox #1)
  • Silently and Very Fast
  • The Flicker Men
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • The Gone World
Blake Crouch is a bestselling novelist and screenwriter. He is the author of the forthcoming novel, Dark Matter, for which he is writing the screenplay for Sony Pictures. His international-bestselling Wayward Pines trilogy was adapted into a television series for FOX, executive produced by M. Night Shyamalan, that was Summer 2015’s #1 show. With Chad Hodge, Crouch also created Good Behavior, the T ...more
“We're more than the sum total of our choices, that all the paths we might have taken factor somehow into the math of our identity.” 188 likes
“No one tells you it’s all about to change, to be taken away. There’s no proximity alert, no indication that you’re standing on the precipice. And maybe that’s what makes tragedy so tragic. Not just what happens, but how it happens: a sucker punch that comes at you out of nowhere, when you’re least expecting it. No time to flinch or brace.” 101 likes