Start by marking “A Dangerous Collaboration (Veronica Speedwell, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Dangerous Collaboration (Veronica Speedwell, #4)

A Dangerous Collaboration

(Veronica Speedwell #4)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  7,851 ratings  ·  1,078 reviews
Victorian adventuress Veronica Speedwell is whisked off to a remote island off the tip of Cornwall when her natural historian colleague Stoker's brother calls in a favor. On the pretext of wanting a companion to accompany him to Lord Malcolm Romilly's house party, Tiberius persuades Veronica to pose as his fiancée—much to Stoker's chagrin. But upon arriving, it becomes cle ...more
Published March 12th 2019 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about A Dangerous Collaboration, please sign up.
Jennifer I completely understand, I was ready to launch the book out of a window if SOMETHING didn't happen. So in short - yes, worth reading (and while it may…moreI completely understand, I was ready to launch the book out of a window if SOMETHING didn't happen. So in short - yes, worth reading (and while it may not be exactly what you would expect, do not give up hope - I ended this book with a smile on my face)(less)
Uluwehi Hopkins Stoker is the black sheep for two reasons. First, as his name Rebelstoke suggests, he was the rebel of the family. He was the only one of all four son…moreStoker is the black sheep for two reasons. First, as his name Rebelstoke suggests, he was the rebel of the family. He was the only one of all four sons to fight back against their father’s abuse. Second, he is technically legitimate, in that their father claimed him as his own, but Stoker’s real father was a painter (from Wales, I think). He noticeably looks different from his brothers, and everyone associated with the family has always known that he is not the elder Templeton-Vane’s son. (less)

·  7,851 ratings  ·  1,078 reviews

Start your review of A Dangerous Collaboration (Veronica Speedwell, #4)
Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Berkley Publishing Group
I'd say the first 50% of this book was a 3 star read, but then it picked up and the final 25% was an easy 5 stars for the veronica/stoker progression. I'll settle on a 3.5 rounded to 4 stars!

I was a bit nervous wading through the beginning of this one, because it was completely different from the rest of the previous novels in the series. Veronica and Stoker are indifferent towards each other, they spend 6 months apart with no contact, which is followed by a lack of cheeky banter/flirting. *gas
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars! Another engaging Veronica Speedwell mystery! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

I’m a self-admitted unusual and irregular series reader. I have a hard time sticking with them and sometimes wait until multiple books are out so I can read them in a row. Not so with the Veronica Speedwell mysteries, or at least, partially not so. I started with the first book and devoured the second. Somehow I missed the third, but I was ecstatic for the opportunity to read the fourth, and here I am! Ah-may-zing, and there’s a r
Cindy ✩☽♔
Another delightful addition to one of my favorite series.

This book follows our heroes and my low-key bias Tiberius on the journey to a small island off the coast of England. Malcolm, their host and Tiberius' long-time friend, brings them to the island with one goal in mind. To solve the mystery behind the disappearance of his bride years earlier.

As usual, nothing is as it seems. And everyone has a secret they wish to keep. But as the saying goes, nothing is a secret forever.

Stoker & Veronica
"
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Okay, so apparently I never put this on Goodreads when I read it. Forgive me, father, for I have sinned.

This was a perfect book and I loved it and that's about all I have to say.
Hollis
I have been feeling a slump coming on.. so what better way to combat that terrible disease than by diving into a new instalment of favourite series, guaranteed to be a winner, a little earlier than planned? Well.. about that..

A DANGEROUS COLLABORATION is easily my least favourite of this series. Everything I loved about the mysteries, the characters, the potential for romance, the jokes, everything from the previous books, was either beat about like a dead horse, exaggerated, or put-off for very
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Omg YASSSSS THIS WHOLE STOKER SIBLINGS AND VERONICA SITUATION IS DAMN GOLD! I loved all the characters development Stoker's brother got in this book rather than just being an under development potential side piece. I snort laughed (as always) continuously throughout and I CANNOT WAIT until we get the fifth book. Now I gotta try her Lady Julia series soon
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
I WILL NEVER STOP LOVING THIS SERIES! 🤍🤍

I am so in love with this series - the characters, the mysteries and the tension between the two MC's Veronica and Stoker. This is my ultimate 'will they, won' they' series and I love it so much!

"It was very easy to look down on someone with a nose that would have done a Roman emperor justice."

🤍 WHAT I LOVED 🤍

Veronica and Stoker!: I was falling so hard in love with the development in Veronica and Stoker's relationship, I really cannot wait for
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I had a fabulous time with this book! I can't even tell you which book from this series is my favorite because they have all be consistently good. I think that my favorite just ends up being whichever book I am reading at the time or just finished. After finishing the previous book in the series, I was pretty eager to get started with this installment and I was not disappointed. The book grabbed me from the beginning and held me unti
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Is there truly anything better than a tantalizing mystery and a slow burn romance all set in England during the 19th century?

Maybe but you would be hard pressed to find it!

The Veronical Speedwell series is just so much fun. It has been a favorite of mine since the very first book and the stories, the mysteries, the characters and the romance aspect, just keep getting better and better.

Raybourn is an amazing writer with the ability to create a heroine that rivals any era but her headstrong, smar
Blackjack
It's always a bittersweet reader's dilemma to want to race through a book to get to the end and to want to prolong such a good book for as long as possible. This fourth installment in the Veronica Speedwell series is a winner for me from start to finish, but now the wait begins for the fifth (and final?) book in the series in 2020. Right now, that seems terribly far away.

A Dangerous Collaboration picks right up where A Treacherous Curse ends with Veronica and Stoker pondering their possible futu
Caz
I've given this a B+ at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars

Like many a fan of Deanna Raybourn’s series of Victorian-set historical mysteries starring the intrepid lady lepidopterist, Veronica Speedwell, I’m as much drawn to the complicated relationship established between Veronica and her delicious partner-in-crime, Revelstoke Templeton-Vane (Stoker), as I am to the mysteries the pair is called upon to solve in each book.  We’ve watched the couple circle around each other in what has sometimes been a most
Mei
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing

(view spoiler)

That said, I love both Veronica and Stoker, but sometimes I also want to slap Veronica!

Yes, yes, we DO know that she's an emancipated woman, but she exaggerates!

Yes, yes, we DO know that she will not be a doormat for anyone!

But, for God's sake, loose it a little!!!

Their banter is fa
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Veronica Speedwell is back in a new adventure where she has to solve the mystery of a bride that disappeared after the wedding. Together with her colleague Stoker and his brother are they guests on a remote island off the tip of Cornwall. And, all the other guests on the island where there when the bride disappeared three years before. Could it be that one of the guests is a killer or did she disappear of her free will? If so why?

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION!
Amy Imogene Reads
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review to come!
Cindy Burnett
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Veronica Speedwell is one of my very favorite heroines, and her adventures in A Dangerous Collaboration do not disappoint. The witty dialogue between Veronica and Stoker always entertains, and this installment is set on a remote island adding a gothic element to the tale. Each guest has been invited to the island under false pretenses, and as ghosts begin appearing and mysterious events start happening, Veronica and Stoker work to discover what happened to the host’s wife years ago and
Sophia
The Delight:

At the close of the last book, things were left in an interesting place for Veronica and Stoker. I was eager to proceed and see what came of them next as they faced another exciting murder adventure together while exchanging acrimonious quips. A Dangerous Collaboration took them away from London to the atmospheric Cornish coast where they must solve a cold case mystery and perhaps discover something more.

Review:
A Dangerous Collaboration is the fourth Veronica Speedwell mystery, but i
Amanda
6/5 stars. 115% fantastic. I will never, ever have my fill of these characters and their adventures. May Ms Veronica Speedwell continue on for a long time to come
♥Rachel♥
4.5 Stars

I’ve been having fun with the Veronica Speedwell series, but I have to say these last two books (3 & 4) have been my favorite to date. I do love the mysteries, and the modern clever woman Veronica presents, but I love the last two because we are finally getting somewhere with the romance between Stoker and Veronica!

In A Treacherous Curse (the previous book) Stroker’s tumultuous past is revealed and mostly settled. Veronica is still skittish about getting involved with Stoker, worried t
☕️Kimberly
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tiberius, Stoker's brother invites Veronica to a house party on a remote island off the tip of Cornwall. He promises her larva from a rare butterfly and the temptation is too great. Well, that and the chance to ruffle Stoker's feathers. Stoker of course isn't invited. To keep up appearances, Tiberius introduces Veronica as his fiance' and I couldn't help but grin when Stoker appeared!
Lord Malcolm Romilly, has invited everyone who had a connection with Rosamund, his bride. On their wedding day sh
Lady Wesley
Review of the Audible Audio edition.

A castle on a secluded island off Cornwall. Hidden tunnels and priest holes. A poison garden. The vanished bride. And one of my favorite tropes—the house party where every guest has a secret.

I totally enjoyed this book, and while I may agree with some of my friends’ criticisms, I’m still giving it five stars.

My only complaint is about the narrator’s voice, because all the men sound alike—pompous, gruff, and posh.
G.
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

Definitely a transitional book. The mystery took a while to get going. Definitely spent the whole book wanting to smush Veronica and Stoker’s faces together. Kind of developed an extremely soft spot for Tiberius, despite the fact he’s kind of a shitstick. Definitely still trash for this series.
Lisa Wolf
The house party with a twist is such a trope in old-timey feeling mysteries... and with good reason. Take a remote location, preferably in a house with some grandeur or mystique, add in a motley assortment of house guests, all invited for a variety of reasons, most of which end up being pretenses, maybe mix in some gothic family secrets... and bam! You're all set up for a slightly claustrophobic, atmospheric whodunnit.

In the case of A Dangerous Collaboration, while the set-up is reminiscent of A
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rebecca
There is no better way to start 2019 than a review for one of my favorite series. This is the fourth installment of Veronica Speedwell, and I went in with higher than average expectations. For the most part, I enjoyed the book. Four stars is not a negative rating, it is difficult to love each book in a series with equal fierceness. There is a plethora of banter and sexual chemistry that makes Veronica/Stoker a super couple.

"Don't be understanding and accommodating. It is upsetting."

I admit to
Theresa
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it

The positives first: This was definitely an improvement upon the previous two books in this series. The mystery was engaging, complex and very personal for many of the main characters. There were finally developments in Veronica and Stoker's relationship and I definitely enjoyed my overall reading experience. Tiberius' character is also great and I definitely want to see more of him in the future.

However, this book has also made the pacing issues of this overall series glaringly obvious
Lena
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
91A347AA-990F-48E2-B753-D10BFCA5A0DD.jpg
Lord Templton-Vane has taken over! This story is all about his secret past, his sins, his pain.

Beyond the wit and sexual tension the series is known for the murder mystery was particularly good.

I look forward to the next adventure featuring the infamous murders in Whitechapel and finding out what (who) happened to Lady C.
Denise
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A true delight -- it's historical fiction with all the essentials: a spunky, adventurous heroine, a dashing, hunky partner, and a great mystery to solve. If you haven't started this series yet, I urge you to begin at once, and read them from the beginning, in order!

What it's about: It is late 1888 when, after a long absence, Veronica Speedwell returns to London and Stoker. Even though she's just come home, it seems that Stoker's brother, the Lord Tiberius Templeton-Vane, wants Veronica to accomp
Dianne
Shades of historical adventure and a heroine who is uniquely fascinating! Deanna Raybourn’s A DANGEROUS COLLABORATION not only takes readers back into another era, but makes us feel part of each scene as Veronica Speedwell defies all social norms and pigeon-holing with her witty dialogue, devastating charm and iron-willed sense of justice and curiosity. Even her fear of romantic entanglements is endearing!

Deanna Raybourn delivers mystery and madness at a rapid-fire rate that never quits as Veron
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
~*Check out all my reviews over on The Bent Bookworm!*~

A Dangerous Collaboration is the fourth in the amazing Veronica Speedwell mystery series by Deanna Raybourn! This is definitely a series you need to start at the beginning with, so if you haven’t already be sure to go read the first three books – A Curious Beginning (#1), A Perilous Undertaking (#2), and A Treacherous Curse (#3).

Warning: Possible spoilers for the first three books of the series, but not for this one!

I was really startled wh
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
Although A Dangerous Collaboration opens on the heels of the previous book, the story quickly jumps forward six months, to a time after Veronica and Lady Cordelia’s hasty expedition to Madeira. While Veronica could not vocalize her need to escape Stoker, the truth of it is that she is terribly confused by her feelings, and after seeing how is former wife destroyed him, she does not wish to cause him further pain. She hopes by escaping, she can think rationally about and evaluate her feelings. I ...more

• The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)
  • An Artless Demise (Lady Darby Mystery #7)
  • The Hollow of Fear (Lady Sherlock, #3)
  • Murder at Kensington Palace (Wrexford & Sloane, #3)
  • A Stroke of Malice (Lady Darby Mystery, #8)
  • Who Slays the Wicked (Sebastian St. Cyr, #14)
  • A Scandalous Deception (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #2)
  • An Infamous Betrayal (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #3)
  • A Nefarious Engagement (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #4)
  • A Brazen Curiosity (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #1)
  • Murder at Half Moon Gate (Wrexford & Sloane, #2)
  • Murder on Black Swan Lane (Wrexford & Sloane, #1)
  • Mortal Arts (Lady Darby Mystery, #2)
  • Penny for Your Secrets (Verity Kent, #3)
  • The Anatomist's Wife (Lady Darby Mystery, #1)
  • A Grave Matter (Lady Darby Mystery #3)
  • A Conspiracy in Belgravia (Lady Sherlock, #2)
  • A Treacherous Performance (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #5)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling novelist Deanna Raybourn is a 6th-generation native Texan. She graduated with a double major in English and history from the University of Texas at San Antonio. Married to her college sweetheart and the mother of one, Raybourn makes her home in Virginia. Her novels have been nominated for numerous awards including two RT Reviewers’ Choice awards, the Agatha ...more

Veronica Speedwell (6 books)
  • A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell, #1)
  • A Perilous Undertaking (Veronica Speedwell, #2)
  • A Treacherous Curse (Veronica Speedwell, #3)
  • A Murderous Relation (Veronica Speedwell, #5)
  • An Unexpected Peril (Veronica Speedwell, #6)

Articles featuring this book

There's nothing like the pain of finishing a book with a cliffhanger…and needing to wait months (if not years) for the next book. Sav...
“Stoker’s smile was slow and terrible. ‘You think that is love, brother? That I should kill for her?’ He shook his head, his eyes locked with mine. ‘You are the fool, Tiberius, because you still do not understand. I do not love her enough to kill for her.’ He stepped to the edge of the rock. ‘I love her enough to die for her.’

And without another word, he disappeared over the edge of the rock and into the blackness of the sea.”
6 likes
“Is there any feeling as delicious as the beginning of a new adventure? To be perched upon the precipice of a fresh endeavor, poised for flight, the winds of change ruffling the feathers, ah, that is what it means to be alive!” 5 likes