Start by marking “Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1)

Wicked Lovely

(Wicked Lovely #1)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  144,601 ratings  ·  6,876 reviews
Rule 3: Never stare at invisible faeries.

Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world.

Rule 2: Never speak to invisible faeries.

One of them, a beautiful faerie boy named Keenan, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.

Rule 1: Don't ever attract their attention.

Now it's too late. Kee/>Rule/>Rule
Published July 1st 2008 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published June 12th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Lovely, please sign up.
Natalie I encourage you to keep reading because each book gets better and better. This was one of the few book series that I have read and finished entirely.…moreI encourage you to keep reading because each book gets better and better. This was one of the few book series that I have read and finished entirely. If you didn't love the first one then you need to finish the series even if its just to see how it ends. (less)

·  144,601 ratings  ·  6,876 reviews

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
2/7/18 - ON SALE for $3.99:

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

The first time I read WICKED LOVELY by Melissa Marr I did not like it. It was too dark. I was too young to catch the deeper connotations that Marr was communicating. If it hadn't been published in thaReads
3.5http://amzn.to/2xKCD3Q
Reviewed
Thornsmoke
Jan 13, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Readable but bland.

Most of my dissatisfaction with this book stems from the fact that what passes for a plot with Wicked Lovely would have been used as a sub-plot in any other. It can be summarised like this:

KEENAN: [gives Aislinn a choice between two options]
AISLINN: [ma
Nadia
Jun 06, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: actuallyread
I liked this book a lot more than I thought I would. I mean, usually when a book is hyped up a lot my immediate reaction is to roll my eyes and wonder if it's worth the hype (I didn't start reading the Harry Potter series until the third one was already out - and then I read them all in one sitting). So, I'm a book-cynic and was worried that I would mind-trash this baby.

Ok, first of all -- the most gorgeous cover ever. Provocative, beautiful, and... well, well done Harper Collins. Here's the th
Kirsti
Feb 19, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oy vie! What a horrible book. I decided to change it's title to "Beautiful and Vapid Hormones" Melissa Marr held so much promise for a feisty female protagonist, willing to fight the allure of immortal beauty and power for our mundane yet necessary mortality. Sadly, Aislinn (the main character) faded into nothingness in the last few chapters. It seemed as though Marr couldn't sacrifice either of the two worlds for her Aislinn and so gave her both, which in my opinion, gives her nothing. Life dem ...more
Kat Kennedy
Jun 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People easily distracted by shiny things
Recommended to Kat Kennedy by: Nobody - most people actually like me
People tell me I have a short attention span. They mention, on some rare occasions, that I tend to space out easily. That one moment I'll be listening and paying attention and the next moment... Oh sparkly! With that I'm lost! It's amazing how many teachers have been the ones to remind me of my poor ability to pay attention. Remarkable really...

What was I saying?

Oh yeah! So it takes a little bit to capture my attention and to keep it. Usually an abnormal amount of sex, vi
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
Well guys, for over a year I had a review of this. I gave this book 1 star, so to say the least, my review was not positive. But see, I got tired of constantly having to delete all the "troll-screaming" comments, so I ultimately removed the review.

The reason I didn't like this book is because it was one of the first YA titles I ever read, and I was really put off by the content. That's my prerogative. I know that probably sounds like a revolutionary concept, but whatever.

Karin
Apr 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youngadult, faeries
Aislinn has always followed the rules. Her Grandmother has drilled them into her since she was a young child. Don't stare at invisible faeries. Don't speak to invisible faeries. Don't ever attract faeries' attention. Aislinn has developed the skill to ignore them. She walks passed them without flinching even when the faeries are pinching or touching others around her like they love to do.

Faeries come in many shapes and sizes and Aislinn has seen them all. She's seen them in the glamours they w
Katerina Kondrenko
5 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
Gemma Hayes – Wicked Game
Living A Thousand Lives (please use Chrome/Yandex browser or Android/IOS to see the page; otherwise, spoiler-tags I use to make my post compact may not work)

Short-Soundtrack:
Gemma Hayes – Wicked Game
Followed by Ghosts – King, My Queen
Julee Cruise – Summer Kisses Winter Tears

Genre: urban-fantasy, YA
Stuff: canonical faery in the real world
Fail: urban-part
WOW: mythology
POV: 3rd-person, multi
Setting: Hunstdale (fictional city in USA)
Love-Geometry: strange, 'cause 95% of characters are polygamous

Quote-Core:
"Maybe you should slow down, so I can catch you."

Wicked Lovely is a wicked book or rather a wicked series. Why? Seems like you love the story and hate it at the same time. Isn’t it wicked enough? I had changed my rating more than once, ‘cause I had no idea what kind of feelings toward the book won after all.

Marr is a nice teller, I like her style, I adore the world-building (you may not see it in the first book, but I've already read 3 parts and 2 bonuses of this series and have seen more) and fae-mythology of Wicked Lovely (these faeries are super close to canon). And there is one more big plus: we have about 5 MCs (so far, there would be more) and each of them has his or her story, each of them is a person (though again you won’t see much in the first book), but more important is that Marr doesn’t promote any of her characters, she develops everyone without pressure, without favoring any of them. That’s why is so hard to get whom you like, whom you hate and about whom you don’t care at all. I knew only one thing: Seth sucks. He is Mal + Jeb + every annoying humanling from other series. I hate such a type of characters, so I despised him from the first sight.

What I disliked is an urban part of the story. I mean… such a good fae-society! Such colorful Courts and they live in an average city? Why they chose this particular place? And why Keenan was looking for his queen only here? Winter Queen and Dark King were stupid enough and didn’t come up with an idea to choose a girl from the other part of the Earth? It would be so much difficult to find the very girl, if she was living in China or Russia or New Zealand. And faeries have to live in their magical lands, IMO. They should have some passages into the real world, those are connected with every corner of it. I see no reason for all the Courts to live in Hunstdale. Yes, it's a fictional place but this is a part of the human realm. Why Winter Queen lives there, while she could move to South Pole? Why Dark Fey didn't choose a huge city? More people, more emotions (they need them). Why Summer Court is here? Why not on a tropical island? This is illogical.

Let's go further. We have 4 courts.

Summer

Summer faeries are frivolous and lightheaded; they love vine, dances and sex. They would die without joy and pleasure. And without their future queen too. Keenan, their young king (he’s only 9 centuries old and others call him a boy, so…) is cursed and his powers are bound by his mother (the Winter Queen) and Irial (the Dark King). Beira - the Winter Queen - was romancing his father and eventually killed him, but she was already pregnant, that’s how was born a new Summer ruler. She was afraid of him to grow as strong as his father was and decided to prevent such a thing. Keenan had to search for his queen among mortals, pick them, change them into fae and then ask them to take his mother’s staff (this is a kind of a test) or become a Summer Girl. Choosing the first, they risk to become a Winter Girl and to lose Keenan (‘cause sex with burns and freezburns isn’t that good, you know), choosing the second means being addictive to their king presence and mood, without him they would wither and die, and when he’s unhappy, they are too. There is another risk, one of these Summer Girls could be the queen but she was afraid to test herself and now Keenan would be always cursed, winter would last forever, Summer Court would die and people would do the same. So Keenan tries his best to break the spell, to find his lady and to care about summer faeries. He has two advisers: an old one and a young one (watch the last, he’ll become a MC later).

Winter

Winter faeries are cold, cruel and impassioned. Beira rules them. Her main goal is not to let Keenan meet his queen, all she does is irritating him and visiting Donia, who was the last that risked her future and mortality for Keenan for nothing, now she contains winter cold in her body and soul plus has to talk every girl Keenan picks against taking the Winter’s staff, she has to convince them that Summer King is dangerous and he can’t be trusted. BTW, Donia still loves him and he still loves her (not amused, I am). Beira threats to kill her if she let the newest of Keenan’s girls to try herself with staff and stuff. But Donia understands that she has to risk her life again, ‘cause it would free Keenan and herself as well.

Dark

They are all about kinky things, sex, drugs and violence. They exist feeding on human’s emotions (not positive or pure once). We won’t see much of them in this book. Their king is Irial, he’s a gancanagh, a solitary Fae whose touches and kisses are lethal to mortals, they become addictive and without him they die. But since he is king, he can control this ability. He has a past with Niall, the youngest of Keenan’s advisers. And he is the one who helped Beira to bind Summer King’s power.

High

This is a court of reason, order and balance. High Court is the one which exists not in the real world but in a magical one. Their queen is Sorcha, she takes mortals with Sight into her domain, where they create beautiful arts. She has a twin-sister Bananac, who is a Dark King's subject and a solitary Fae of War, and a brother Devlin, who is her adviser and assassin. While Sorcha is Order's incarnate and Bananac is Chaos, Devlin is both. We won’t see much of High Court and its rulers until Old Habits bonus and until book #3, but we’ll hear about them for sure.

Now let me introduce you to our future Summer Queen Aislinn or simply Ash. She sees faeries since childhood and keeps it in secret. When a boy and a girl with a wolf start to stalking her, she panics and opens her problems to a new friend of her — a womanizer Seth. Later we would learn that he has no STD (he would show us and Ash a certificate, yes, this is weird and still it would happen) and he hasn't slept with anyone since meeting Aislinn. Such a hero. She would love him muuuuch and would refuse Keenan. I won’t tell how it all ends, but you should know that Marr might surprise you (maybe not in a good way).

Now tell me why do I still reading this series? I was spoiled on the ending (thanks to Wikia), I disagree with the final and still keeping on. I like how many different characters Marr created, I like how unusual and complicated ships are here, but this author tortures me with her story, I wanna one thing and she gives me another every freaking time, in every freaking book. How is that possible? I understand when you disagree with some twists, but with the whole story? Incredible...

Wicked Lovely (Коварная Красота):
Wicked Lovely (Коварная Красота) #1/5
Ink Exchange (Роковая татуировка) #2/5
Stopping Time (Останавливая время) #2.5/5
Old Habits (Старые привычки) #2.6/5
Fragile Eternity (Темное предсказание) #3/5
Radiant Shadows (Смертные тени) #4/5
— Darkest Mercy (Жестокое милосердие) #5/5
— Faery Tales & Nightmares (Сказки и кошмары)
— Desert Tales (Рассказы о пустыне)
Hanneybean
May 08, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know what to say. This has been the first book that I've thrown across the room and felt extremely happy about it. Needless to say, I absolutely despised it.

The beginning was a wonderful solid four stars...and then the ending came. *SPOILERS*

Wicked Lovely is the story about a 17 year-old girl who's had the Sight her entire life. Aislinn lives in fear every day of attracting the attention of any faerie, only to have it all come crashing down when the Summer King, Keenan,
valee
Jul 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adults
So I was expecting to read a nice YA book, but let me tell you... this book was so good that I read it in 6 hours without stoping. I loved all the characters and the way everything developed. Specially the end. I really liked how the author gave a smart solution to every problem.

I really enjoyed to read something different from all the books that are out there. Wicked lovely is a nice, refreshing and original story. Ash is a great heroine, with one of the best personalities I've seen
Kiera
Apr 21, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who liked *Twilight*,
Tatiana
Apr 24, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of faeries and tattoos
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
"Wicked Lovely" is a story of Aislinn, a teenage girl who has a rare ability to see faeries. This gift/curse troubles her, mostly because the fae world is cruel and ugly. For a long time she manages to hide this ability and stay unnoticed, but suddenly she finds herself a center of fae attention. We very quickly learn that Aislinn is chosen to have a special place in the faery world...

Once again a book so popular and trendy and such a favorite of many of my friends, disappointed me.
Laz
Jul 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with fae mania, maybe
As much as I found interesting the fact that this had a dark vibe going on the entire time, I must say that I was completely let down by the writing. I don't know if it is because it's the author's first book but I guess that must be it. The story was equal parts intriguing and confusing, so I have mixed feelings about this entire book. I struggled giving a rating to this. I wasn't sure if it deserved 3 stars or 2 but I'll say that I'm somewhere in between.

Aislinn is a mortal, she has the Sight
Mizuki
In Wicked Lovely, Aislinn was a girl who had been carrying a secret for her whole life: She could see fairies and had always tried hard to avoid attracting their attention for as long as she could recall. For fairies, unlike popular belief, were creatures who very much capable of mischiefs, torture, cruelty and harm.

Much to Aislinn's fear, she found herself being stalked by two fairies, Keenan, the Summer King who had been looking for his lost Queen for centuries; Donia, Winter Girl
Frida
Dec 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where do I start...
This book had me from the very moment I started reading. I just knew it would be something out of the ordinary.

17-year old Aislinn (how to pronounce that name?), or "Ash", is not like other girls. She can see fairies. And not good fairies, fairies that fight and do all kinds of bad stuff. She's learned how to control herself, how to not seem scared and to not start running as they approach; that only triggers them. The fairies doesn't know about her unusual t
Sara ♥
Sep 19, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA Fans
Are there any books on your to-read list that you've been (consciously or unconsciously) avoiding because people keep harassing you to read them? Then, when you read them, do you kick yourself for being so stubborn?

On one hand, I'm really happy I waited to read this book, because the third (and final? Edit: No, there's a book 4, at least...) book just came out, so no waiting for me! On the other hand... WHAT WAS I WAITING FOR????? This book was AWESOME!!

I don't know that
Res
The one where Aislinn can see faeries that no one else can see, and they're awful. But the young Summer King, Keenan (srsly, Keenan), wants her to be his queen, and if things go wrong, they're going to go very wrong.

I described this book to someone as "like mediocre fanfiction," and now I'm trying to pin down exactly what that means. First, of course, it means the book is quite self-indulgent when it comes to everyone being Special and having special names and special facial piercing
Katya
Maybe it was because I'd just finished reading Holly Black's Valiant and Ironside, two of my favorite books in this genre, but I really did not think very highly of Wicked Lovely. Compared with Black's books, I found this one to be badly paced, full of one-dimensional, undeveloped characters and lacking a lot of detail. Aislinn is rather whiny and unremarkable, with no defining characteristics except for the Sight, so it's hard to see why everyone loves her so much. Her friends are completely fl ...more
Rose
Quick review for a quick re-read. I read this book for the first time many years ago, and I remember it being one that stood out not only for its striking cover, but for being a YA urban fantasy title with dark imagery in the presentation of the world of the fey. Yet, even with Melissa Marr's writing being mostly clear cut in the presentation of the world as well as the emotions of the different characters this tale revolved around, I found my re-reading of it having more than a few points of ir ...more
Kitty
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 ⭐
it is a Twilight in fey world.

I had low expectations but it was entertaining enough
JenacideByBibliophile
We might as well start out this wondrous review with me being completely honest…I totally picked up this series because of the covers. I mean come on, look at them…they’re GORGEOUS!

I know my mother taught me to never judge a book by its cover, but I think we can all agree that I could be doing worse things than buying a few books just because they look pretty. I’m a sucker for a cover I can get lost in, especially if the genre it falls into is Fantasy. *Sigh*…if only I lived in book world.

Aisl
Nicole
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of dark faeries
This book was very unique, not the usual YA formula. It is a tad darker than most YA faerie tales, although not nearly as dark as Holly Black's faerie series. I really enjoyed the story, lots of twists and turns and I never would have guessed the ending. But I think the most unusual thing about the whole book was the fact that the main guy was not the main girl's love interest. That is usually how it goes. If there is a main guy and a main girl, they fall in love. If they dont, its usually because its ...more
Arlene
Wicked Lovely has become my favorite "faerie" tale of all time! I loved this story, it was enchanting, heartfelt, thrilling and absolutely beautiful. Marr's character and story development is exceptional. The way she writes about Keenan and Seth, two characters who are fighting for opposite needs/wants, is skillful. I found myself rooting for both, which is something I don't think I've ever done. I usually pick one character and root for them all the way through. Not the case with Wicked Lovely. ...more
Taryn Rydell
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was captivating, from the beginning I was drawn in and interested to see what would happen next. Don’t worry if you are unfamiliar with the faery world like I was, Melissa Marr does a great job of introducing the reader to the faeries and we quickly learn that they are nothing like Tinkerbell! The plot was interesting and kept me guessing up to the final twist near the end of the story that I truly didn’t see coming. I would recommend this semi-dark young adult read to anyone that enjo ...more
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
3.5 Need some Summer Stars

Ehhh...it was OK but not a book which captivated me. I enjoyed the different twist to the fantasy but found it very hard to connect with the characters.

I think after this one...I'm gonna quit while I'm ahead. So, I'm not saying that I hated or disliked the book, it's just one that won't stay in my memories for very long.
Novels On The Run
Aug 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MICHELLE'S REVIEW:

RATING : 4 SETH STARS!!

This was my first major foray into the world of Faeries. I have read Lament and Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater. This series of books is like mind blowing on the Faerie courts and laws . Wicked Lovely the first book I think is the easiest to read . They are wonderful books but perservere as the laws are detailed sometimes..but once you get the hang of it you are good to go. Each book cover represents the female character. #1 book is Ai
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Read for The YA Room's Throwback Bingo Challenge!

Challenge Square: Urban Fantasy

I'm so on the fence about whether I want to continue on with the series or not. Something just didn't quite click for me and I have no idea what. The main character Aislinn has an ability to see faeries which according to her only family member (grandmother), they should be avoided at all costs. However, when Aislinn finds she is connected to Keenan and is a 'summer queen', there's no way she
Julie Zantopoulos
I remember LOVING this book when I first read it and so I decided to reread it so I could finish out the series (I've read all but the final book). Wow...now as awesome as I remember. Still a fast fluffy read but there is little to no substance of plot and certainly not in character development, either. This is a 2 star read at best bumped to a 3 for nostalgic purposes. I will be finishing out the series because I'm a glutton for punishment and I want to be able to say I finished it...but yikes. ...more
J.M. Ryan
This book kept me up last night! I loved how unique it was. Usually faeries don't do it for me, but I felt such a unique connection to the characters. Keenan irritated me with his confidence. At times he was condescending, but Aislinn handles him. Loved Seth. He may be my new favorite. :)

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Ironside: A Modern Faery's Tale
  • Darklight (Wondrous Strange, #2)
  • Wings (Wings, #1)
  • The Light-Bearer's Daughter (The Chronicles of Faerie, #3)
  • The Demon's Covenant
  • Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie (Books of Faerie, #2)
  • Shadowspell (Faeriewalker, #2)
  • Fairy Tale
  • Need (Need, #1)
  • Bones of Faerie (Bones of Faerie, #1)
  • The Lost Queen (Faerie Path, #2)
  • Between Golden Jaws (Hallowmere, #3)
  • Speak

Melissa Marr is a former university literature instructor who writes fiction for adults, teens, and children. She is best known for the Wicked Lovely series for teens, the Graveminder for adults, and her debut picturebook Bunny Roo, I Love You.

Her books have been translated into twenty-eight languages and been bestsellers internationally as well as domestically (NY Times, Los Angeles Times, USA T

Wicked Lovely (5 books)
  • Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely, #2)
  • Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3)
  • Radiant Shadows (Wicked Lovely, #4)
  • Darkest Mercy (Wicked Lovely, #5)
“And he smiled at her, truely smiled- wicked and lovely...” 480 likes
“She stood in his kitchen, watching him toy with the ring in his lip. It wasn't quite that he was biting it, but sucking it into his mouth. He did that when he was concentrating. It isn't sexy. He's not sexy. But he was, and she was staring at him like a fool. "wow" she whispered (.....)"Wow, huh?" His voice was low, husky. His chair creaked as he stood. His footsteps seemed strangely loud as he closed the couple yards between them. Then he was beside her. "I can work with wow” 435 likes