Start by marking “Curation: The Power of Selection in a World of Excess” as Want to Read:
Curation: The Power of Selection in a World of Excess

Curation: The Power of Selection in a World of Excess

Curation, or the art of selecting useful information to form meaningful collections, is the new buzzword that tech companies and media professionals have eagerly latched on to. But curation is a far more powerful and deeply relevant idea than we give it credit for. It answers the question of how we make sense of a culture in which problems are often about having too much, ...more
Published June 2nd 2016 by Little, Brown

Start your review of Curation: The Power of Selection in a World of Excess
Nastya Khyzhniak
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really took my time reading this book, because I wanted to remember as much as possible. For me there is no specific type of reader for this book: though it touches sometimes complicated matters, the languages is really down to earth, Michael B also gives a lot of examples (using the companies well-known to the most) from completely different spheres of life.
The content is well-organized (well curated, I guess): from The Problem or how we got to the point of excess to The Answer or everything
Boy Blue
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psuedo-pop-sci
Interesting read but could have been half the length. Ironically a better curation of the material in the book would have made a better read. It is well written but the premise is pretty obvious from the start and some of the anecdotes are wearisome and many points are over worked. This is probably because there's not all that much to talk about. SUMMARY: As the amount of data we produce grows exponentially curation has become increasingly important, you can look cool and make money out of this ...more
sam
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: university-read
WHY. WHY is publishing making me read a book analysing ECONOMY. The only parts that I could read with some engagement was the history, so it gets an extra star.

I’m joking. I know exactly why (and I’m not happy about it), easily summed up by this: “The message for both small and big business is clear: follow value, find curation.”

But honestly I hope I never have to read the word ‘curation’ ever again.
Divija Rao
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is quite interesting on how the author talks about evolution of the word ‘curation’ and spins the the thread around multiple industries and tie them all together with a perspective on how curation is playing and will play an important role. I highly appreciate the intensive research that went into writing this book. While we understand the gist within couple of pages of reading this book, it is nice to know how it applies to various fields of industry and lifestyles.
Einu
Whether you like the buzz around curation or not, it’s hard to deny that it has become a valuable tool to make sense of the world we live in. There is so much of everything now – music, clothing brands, novels, holiday destinations, financial information – that without curation we would be completely overwhelmed. The enormous quantity of options would drown out quality, and we would struggle to find what we’re interested in among the sea of possibilities. What we need, in other words, is better ...more
Jonathan Chambers
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
A broad survey of the development and application of curation, focusing on the principal of increased curation/reduction of choice as a pathway to increasing value. "Curation" is extremely readable and full of interesting factoids, tackling questions of pure human curation and the kinds of blended or purely algorithmic curation that are increasingly presenting the world to us in customised forms. I don't know if I actually advanced my knowledge about how to curate a great deal, but the book was ...more
Rajesh CNB
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I picked up this book to understand a new buzz word in the market. But I was a bit disappointed. What makes the book a good (though not interesting) read is the amount of examples that the author provides us with. However, the book has a long-winded approach and we have to struggle really to get to the point. The length could have been much shorter.
Cat
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a wide-ranging manifesto for curation and its growing importance. Bhaskar writes in an engaging and conversational manner, which helps to make a business book interesting to read.

The problem with this book is that it really needed curating itself. It's long and repetitive, and concepts which could be cleared up in a matter of sentences are allowed to spread over pages without adding much value. Although the book is divided into chapters and headings which make sense, the content of these
Juan
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La curaduría, actividad proveniente del mundo del Arte e implantada en la actualidad como técnica de selección y creación de valor en Internet, se propone en este libro como salida al ruido y el exceso de oferta en la sociedad de la abundancia.

Abundantes son también los escenarios que el autor propone para justificar su propuesta, desde los mencionados hasta el mercado de lujo, la tecnología o la gastronomía. Quizá por ello y por el sesgo de elevada calidad de los negocios con los que ilustra el
Dozy Pilchard
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book has something to benefit most people, regardless of their area of interest. I hoped to gain something of value from this book that I might use in my music production endeavours. I feel that I have, to some degree, benefitted from the ideas and thoughts in this book. I have taken on board elements around quality, context, originality and availability. All good considerations. I would be interested to know how others have employed the learning in this book to benefit their endeavours.
Wladimir Albuja
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have read the book and I share most of the opinions shared by the community. It’s a good book to get a wider vision of the problem of excess and how curation has become a solution. It’s good reading for young students of information science studies as it covers every single aspect of the production of knowledge and it’s management in our societies.
Nia Nymue
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The divisions between chapters aren't very clean cut. I would have preferred if historical/ current contextual background info were kept isolated from the more practical applications he's trying to share.

Also, diagrams would have helped a lot. While there are some, and a few pictures, more would be great for this particular book.
Karl
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written and a easy to follow exploration of the concept of curation. This book helped me organise some of my own thinking about curation and curatorial processes. Lots of great examples of curation at work.
Nils
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mind
Einige sehr spannende Ideen zu Prinzipien und Effekten des mittlerweile allgegenwärtigen Kuratierens. Verliert sich im langen letzten Teil dann aber leider in Anekdoten, denen eine gründliche Systematisierung gut getan hätte.
Jael
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fresh perspective and angle to the current world of abundance
Good deep dive into the need and the types of curation especially business value and models
However the writing can be more concise, some points are belaboured and circular.
Worth a read
Etienne Boeziek
Een interesant onderwerp en leerzaam. Zeker in deze tijd van alles overload. Echter valt veel in de herhaling waardoor je het idee hebt dat je niet opschiet in het boek.
Alessandro Artuso
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very, very interesting study on the everspreading applications of what"curating" is today.
M.R. Raghu
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good take on how trends are changing. While curation is traditionally understood in the context of art and museums, the author explains it reach to unicorns, retail, etc.
Laurent Franckx
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well, okay, the book does contain one or two original and interesting ideas (e.g. why creativity is overrated and why curation is underrates). But it's a bit paradoxical that a book dealing with overload and excess needs 300 pages while it could have done with 100. Too many digressions that are completely besides the point, too much repetition, too much name-dropping...
Eric Oandasan
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I might have skimmed this booked instead of properly reading it word for word, but I did what pretty much the book suggests: curate the elements that will provide me the most value. As someone in the content business, will be definitely going back to the book every now and then to look at the numerous examples of Curation that, many don't realize, actually expands outside the realm of the internet.

A good read for people in any industry that strives to win the battle for people's attention.
Christine

• Babbo Natale
  • Walk Through Walls: A Memoir
  • What Makes Great Photography: 80 Masterpieces Explained
  • Information Doesn't Want to Be Free: Laws for the Internet Age
Michael Bhaskar is a writer, researcher and digital publisher. He is Co-Founder of Canelo, a new publishing company, and Writer in Residence at DeepMind.

He has written and talked extensively about publishing, the future of media, the creative industries and the economics of technology.

He has worked as a digital publisher, an economics researcher, a book reviewer and founded several web