Start by marking “Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret” as Want to Read:
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  200,348 ratings  ·  6,948 reviews
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret" No one ever told Margaret Simon that eleven-going-on- twelve would be such a hard age. When her family moves to New Jersey, she has to adjust to life in the suburbs, a different school, and a whole new group of friends. Margaret knows she needs someone to talk to about growing up-and it's not long before she's found a solution.

"Are you
Published June 1st 1986 by Yearling Books (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, please sign up.
Kaitlyn Why not? Would learning about girls' experience be so horrible for boys? I think not.…moreWhy not? Would learning about girls' experience be so horrible for boys? I think not.(less)
Hermione That is how she starts her prayers. This isn't a super religious book though…moreThat is how she starts her prayers. This isn't a super religious book though(less)

·  200,348 ratings  ·  6,948 reviews

Start your review of Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
Erin
Apr 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: once-upon-a-time
I first read this book in kindergarten. After getting into an argument with the PTA lady running the school book fair about whether or not I could buy the book (I thought she was trying to imply that I couldn't read it, which I found insulting) - an argument that was ultimately settled by a call home to my mom - I brought the book home and read it all on a Friday night. Up past my bedtime, I snuck downstairs, where my parents were entertaining friends, and announced that I had a question about w ...more
Stina
Mar 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Isn't it pathetic that as a girl, once you learn about periods, you just can't wait to get one, and then for the rest of your life, you just wish the effers would go away? Except of course, the periods that show up JUST when you need them to- like when one is perhaps a few days late and not super confident in her decision-making skills during the last month. Those periods are probably even better than the satisfaction of that very first one.

Matthew
What a powerful little book. Sure, it is a coming of age story about a pre-teen girl in the late 1960s, early 1970s, but it feels like a story with lessons and ideas that are important to everyone in any era. I can see why this is on many must read lists.

Simply written – it can be read in one or two sittings. This is a great thing for those looking for a quick and entertaining read in the midst of a busy schedule. No great commitment is required to get through this one. And, you may find more co
Julie
I was a little scrap of a white girl, growing up, and the daughter of Midwestern parents as well. Mom and Dad were sheltered, small town people who had been relocated to the subtropics of South Florida and raised their children there. Our family was an island of conservatism and traditionalism among an extremely multicultural sea.

Our quiet, casserole-eating crew had very good manners, and spoke quietly, but we spoke not of feelings, and we deferred always to Dad's opinions. In contrast, our Hisp
K.D. Absolutely
Oct 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Time 100
Shelves: ya, time-100, chick-lit
During the final round in the 2011 Miss Universe pageant, Miss Philippines Shamcey Supsup was asked this question:
”Would you change your religious beliefs to marry the person you love? Why or why not?”
Supsup answered:
”If I had to change my religious beliefs, I will not marry the person that I love. Because the first person that I love is GOD who created me. And I have my faith and my principles. And these what make makes me who I am. And if that person loves me, he should love my God to
Ahmad Sharabiani
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, Judy Blume

Margaret Simon is just eleven, going on twelve, when her family moves from New York City to Farbrook, New Jersey.

Margaret's mother is Christian and her father is Jewish.

Margaret has been raised without an affiliation to either faith, and does not practice an organized religion, although she frequently prays to God in her own words, beginning by saying, "Are you there God? It's me, Margaret."

She is beginning to feel uncomfortable with her lack of
Tiphany
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who use the word "menses".
Oh, how I do miss the 1970 edition of this book. Somehow the cute little cover girl of the new edition, what with the sparkling eyes and her head in the clouds, doesn't express the loneliness and contemplative nature of Miss M. in the same way the little girl with lank brown hair and brown knee socks did. And how else can one completely alarm and overwhelm a modern 10-year-old about the mysteries of the pubescent female body without the mention of the belt?

When I first read the book, not only wa
Deanna
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm feeling very nostalgic today.

I can still remember sitting on the floor in the library and reading this book. One of my favorite authors when I was young.

If I didn't have so much to read I would read it again now. Actually if I can find my box of old books I probably will read it again. I LOVED this book :)
Alex
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those waiting for busts and/or periods
Shelves: 2017
The first thing Margaret asks God is "Don't let New Jersey be too horrible," so you know she's in for a rough time with God. The second thing she asks for is boobs.

What makes Blume so wonderful - well, there are lots of things, but one of them is that she respects her audience, which is specifically 12-year-old girls and no one else. She's tackling big subjects here - puberty and God, so that's half of the entire list of Big Subjects - and she respects their difficulty. Margaret is the product
Sheri
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For Margaret, the growing up years are starting off with a myriad of changes. She moves to a new city, attends a new school, makes new friends, maintains a close relationship with her Grandma, and grapples with her lack of a defined religion all while navigating the complexities of the pre-teen years. Margaret is on the cusp of adolescence and all she wants is to fit in and be “normal”.

Judy Blume has done a fantastic job of relating the thoughts and feelings girls experience as they begin to ma
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Eeks am I getting behind in posting reviews. Are You There God, It’s Me Margaret was my final selection for Banned Books Week. I was extremely hesitant to re-read this since it was one of my childhood favorites. I was terrified my trip down memory lane would wind up filled with potholes and other bumps in the road that would lessen my enjoyment. Boy was I wrong! I loved Margaret just as much now as I did back then. Judy Blume was m
Jenna Hager
Jun 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: old-favorites
Last September, I had the privilege of interviewing Judy Bloom while she celebrated the 50th anniversary of the book, “Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret.” When I read this as a young girl, I felt like Judy Bloom was telling me the truth. She was whispering this is what’s to come, you are not alone and you do not need to be perfect. This book gave me so much solace as a child.
John
Mar 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book again very recently as part of a program in which volunteers help teach childen and adults who have difficulty with reading and comprehension to read for understanding and ulimately enjoyment.

The girl I was reading with was very moved by the book. I guess, I had taken it for granted. Blume clearly knows her audience and speaks to them. As a young, fat boy, I read Blubber and Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (along with 1001 Arabian Nights) over and over under the covers by the y
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More)
You have to love a book with the lines "We must, we must, we must increase our busts." ...more
Maria Espadinha
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finding a Non-Religious God

Torned between a Christian mother and a Jewish father, Margaret is having a hard time in finding herself a suitable religion.
After all, picking one side, could be easily compared to that embarrassing situation where you picture an adult sadistically smiling to a kid, whilst firing that obnoxious question we all know about:

— Now tell me lil girl, whom do you love most? Mom or Dad?

Grrrrrrrrr! Does it ring a (crying out loud) bell 🛎😉?...

Well, returning to Margaret, after
Deborah Markus
I loved this book so much as a kid. It was interesting rereading it now.

One thing that startled me was something I barely noticed when I was younger: Margaret gets very angry at God at one point, and decides she's not talking to him any more. She thinks he's been mean to her, and she's hitting back as best she can.

Which is fine. Very believable. But then she starts telling everyone that she doesn't believe in God. And whenever she says that, she thinks to herself that she hopes he's listening.
Calista
My niece is 10 years old now and she is really trying to figure out this growing up thing. She is wanting more time with girlfriends to talk about stuff. I gave her my copy of this book to read that I read when I was about 10 or 11 years old. It's a very old copy now. She read the book in 2 days and said it was good. I decided to re-read this classic and be able to talk with her about the book.

I remember this book as the 'period' book, but it's also quite a bit about religion. Margaret has a mo
MissBecka Gee
I can see why so many people loved Ms. Bloom in their youth.
She is incredibly honest with events and ideas that run through a middlegrader's day.
Since I am not 12, it didn't have as big of an impression on me as it would have 30 years ago.
Totally something I would recommend to friends with pre-teens in the house.
Brian Yahn
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Are you there, Judy Blume? It's me, Brian. I loved your book. I devoured it in one sitting. It was enlightening but at the same time funny as can be. Never had I ever wanted to be a ten year-old girl, and now I kind of do. Is that okay? Am I normal? I find myself going up to my friends and saying, "I must--I must--I must increase my bust." They think it's strange. Anyway, thanks for writing this story. It was more fun than a Pixar movie, and it taught me a lot. I hope you have a good day. ...more
Manybooks
I was with head shaking and consternation reading (or at least trying to peruse without either grumbling or laughing derisively) some of the more vehemently negative reviews (the tirades) for Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret?, and ha, ha, ha, what many of these ranters and ravers so unilaterally and utterly despise about Judy Blume's Middle Grade girl's classic, is precisely what I have always loved, and what I totally and utterly personally appreciated when I read this novel at around the a ...more
Éimhear (A Little Haze)
May 21, 2016 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Éimhear (A Little Haze) by: My Mum
GAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! I'm feeling nostalgic!!!!

Oh I remember reading this book when I was 11 years old and I'd just gotten my first period (oh the trauma!!!!!!) and knew NOTHING about EVERYTHING even though I refused to admit publicly that I didn't understand anything!!!

And there was Margaret. As clued in and as clueless as I was!!! She was a wonderful protagonist. And I DISTINCTLY remember the contraptions that Judy Blume described as for use as a sanitary towel in this book.... belts and all sort
Antoinette
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Books by Judy Blume were not part of my growing up years. After reading this book, I wish I could have read it when I was an impressionable 11 year old girl. It would have felt wonderful to know that someone out there understood me and what I was going through.

This is a middle grade novel, but to me it read like an expose to an earlier time.

I absolutely loved this book and I’m so glad that Julie Grippo recommend I read it, even now as an almost senior.
Justin
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Are you there feminine side? It's me, Justin. It was great getting to know you better. Full review on the way.... ...more
Lala BooksandLala
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
childhood favourite book re-reads vlog: https://youtu.be/7mD8UUiDnKE ...more
Olivia-Savannah
Would you look at that? It's my childhood calling.

I remember sitting around my younger sister and us chanting 'we must, we must, increase our bust,' because we believed it would work.

But this book does some other important things, and discusses some other very relevant topics for preteens. However, I just wanted to share that memory with you all instead.
anique
Mar 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Every Saturday growing up, my mother would drop me off at the public library and wouldn't come back for several hours. Instead of dwelling on the problem of abandonment, I got lost in the stacks and one day found this book. I remember loving it and rooting for and identifying with the main character--a girl trying to reach out, needing only someone to listen to her as she tries to figure out what the hell is going on. ...more
Aj the Ravenous Reader
It got me curious knowing there is a controversy surrounding this little middle grade book so I decided to read it. I now understand why it would be a sensitive read especially back in the seventies but there's nothing highly provocative in it except for the topic on menstruation and religion. It's actually a very genuine and relatable read, also often very funny.

“I don’t use deodorant yet. I don’t think people start to smell bad until they’re at least twelve. So I’ve still got a few months t
melissa
Apr 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
I was prohibited from reading Judy Blume books. My parents said so. So, beginning in the seventh grade, I secretly checked them out from the school library and hid in my room and read them instead of doing homework. Ahhh, clandestine reading. This was the first that I read and, though not my favorite Judy Blume, definitely something I wouldn't mind taking a crack at now. I wonder if it would be as good reading it now that my parents don't care?
Beverly
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful about the way kids think.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
No Boyz Allowed!1!!!1eleven!1!!one!1!!

4 stars for my love of the book as a child.

2 stars for how it reads now as an adult.

= 3 star average.

I was cleaning out my stuff and found this book and had a sudden urge to revisit my childhood.

As a child, this was one of those books that I read over and over (probably because my mom didn't want me reading it). I was probably about 9 or 10 when I snuck (wait, this isn't a word? why am I getting spell-checked?) Are You There God? into my house.

It put the f

• Tuck Everlasting
  • Because of Winn-Dixie
  • Island of the Blue Dolphins
  • Where the Red Fern Grows
  • Go Ask Alice
  • Stargirl (Stargirl, #1)
  • Ківі Ківі
  • Le Relais De La Chance Au Roy
  • Bridge to Terabithia
  • Тоня Ґліммердал
  • Taylor Swift: Her Song
  • Les exploits de Fantômette (Fantômette, #1)
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Les Mésaventures de Jean-Paul Choppart: Roman jeunesse d'aventures
  • Спитайте Мієчку
  • Number the Stars
  • Baby-Sitting Is a Dangerous Job
  • J'envie Ceux Qui Sont Dans Ton Coeur
See top shelves…
Judy Blume spent her childhood in Elizabeth, New Jersey, making up stories inside her head. She has spent her adult years in many places doing the same thing, only now she writes her stories down on paper. Adults as well as children will recognize such Blume titles as: Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret; Blubber; Just as Long as We're Together; and the five book series about the irrepressible Fu ...more