Start by marking “The Treasure Box” as Want to Read:
The Treasure Box

The Treasure Box

Vita Kirk is a travel writer who has never left her hometown. In fact, she rarely leaves her house. Due to deep wounds and bitter losses, Vita has chosen isolation over vulnerability. But when she stumbles across an antique chest in a hole-in-the-wall boutique, she discovers a puzzling link to her past and her physical surroundings mysteriously begin to change. Inscribed ...more
Published January 5th 2004 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Treasure Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Treasure Box

Start your review of The Treasure Box
Karol
An interesting story line . . . Penelope Stokes has been a favorite author of mine for many years, my favorite books being The Blue Bottle Club and The Amethyst Heart. Whenever I read one of her novels, I am transported. I can so clearly visualize the characters and they truly seem like real people to me. I found this to be true in this novel also.

This story of the Treasure Box was pure fantasy, but still thought provoking. Where will our daily choices lead us?
Victoria G
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really interesting read. I enjoyed the backstory and how everything came together in the end! ...more
Tina
Heartfelt, moved me to happy tears.
Thankfulness, gratitude.
The glory of life and LIVING!
Good energy.
You get what you settle for, but more than that...
We are responsible for the choices we make and for the consequences or reactions born of them.

Il n'y a point de hasard. - Voltaire
Ellen
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books, romance
the book has some good thoughts, some inspirational ones.
It got rather tedious at the end where everything got wrapped up too quickly and neatly.
I enjoyed the magical part and liked the narrator, Margot Dionne.
Kassidy
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this very heart-warming story. I loved watching Vita's transformation from a bitter recluse to a woman who finally opens her heart to love. This story might seem predictable in it's ending but all the details in between and her emotional journey are not.
Tim Laven
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Pswinicki
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pat
Very good book, love this writer.
Sue
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
A little trite, but an enjoyable, if not plausible read. Uplifting. I will read more books by this author
Brook
Quick read. Sort of a cozy mystery, centered around a womans purchase of a unique little tin box and the changes it creates in her world.
Dotty
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Vita Kirk has her life under control and boundaries in place after being betrayed by her fiance and her sister. She isn’t expecting to find a new life, but everything changes after she purchases the treasure box. She wanted it for storage but instead her experiences with the box show her that “Love is the key that unlocks every portal.”

The author made me think about my reactions to life and my values. There were several very wonderful quotes.
Walk the path god sets before you... it will lead you
Doris
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Our heroine, Vita Kirk, thinks she has her life under control, with specific boundaries for people - this close and no closer. As we read, we see that these are an effort to protect herself from heartbreak, after being betrayed by her fiance and her sister.

She lives alone, and states that she likes it that way. She does not want to include anyone in her life, and doesn't want to do anything but the jobs she is paid to do as she works at home. She even tersely rebuts attempts by the local antique
Redfox5
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want a Treasure Box! Thought this was a really sweet story. Had me in tears a few times. I do not think I could have been so forgiving if my sister had stolen my husband to be. As much as I enjoyed this, it did have a fair few flaws. Firstly to much God stuff near the end. I know this is Christian literature and it's to be expected but I feel suspicious of it, like I'm being subtly brainwashed. And the other was, why I liked the idea of Vita being able to see what her life would have been like ...more
Taylor Green
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, favorites
Many thanks to Penelope J. Stokes for pulling me out of my darkness and thrusting back into the Light. I was in a very, very dark place when I read this book, and was more than ready to stay an old, isolated hermit for the rest of my life. This book more than showed me that what I thought was a great solution (please keep in mind that I was borderline suicidal at this point) to my problems wasn't really that great of an idea. Her books were a great reminder that there's more to life than the ...more
Tealen
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-fiction
This book is so hard to describe (I tried, to my husband and it just sounds weird) however, it is a great book. The main character finds a box that sets her on a "journey" in the process she learns about decisions in your life and living with the consequenses. Through her "journey" with the box she is able to change her life and decide what is really important -- anger and hurt, or forgiveness and love.

I liked the duality of the story and I thought it was very well written.
Stephanie
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it
This is my second book by Stokes and I have to say not my favorite. It's a little too in your face as far as the religious aspects. And the dual storyline is a good idea but a bit too contrived. I do love the two stories, though. They were compelling from the get go and kept me going to the end. There were a few grammatical issues that irked me too, but I'm an editor so that takes me out of the story where it might not for others.
Beth
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked this book up at work while eating lunch. It was on my boss's desk. I didn't like it....almost put it down.....kept reading....got sucked in, much like the main character into her treasure box. I enjoyed reading this, although the story within the story was far more interesting than what was going on in the main character's life. I definitely appreciated the underlying spiritual message. Worth reading.
Heather Mauriello
Oct 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Enough tragedy and triumph to make a realistic story, with some hokey computer thing thrown in. A little confusing- was she really delusional or just contemplative? That being said, I found myself more interested in the story-within-the-story (on her computer?!?), and would keep reading chapters to find out what happened there.
Judy Adams
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was an extraordinary book, really held my attention. My favorite lines are:
"Walk the path God sets before you. It will lead you where you are meant to be"
"Love is the key that unlocks every Portal"
A story of love, hope, memories, pain, suffering, growing older, letting go, all wrapped up in one lonely women's journey to finding her true self.
Careese
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Who doesn't love watching an angry character turn into a softy. After a strange power outage and some weird game appearing on her computer. Vita is pulled into and alternate world were she learns the value of love and forgiveness. With these two things you can easily live a a happy and fulfilling life. I just love J stokes books there are a lot of life lessons in them.
Doofenshmirtz
Sep 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I thought the story was all right, but it wasn't great. I also felt that the writing was rather formulaic. The whole thing was predictable from the start, and none of the sentences really jumped to me.
Jacque
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
This story had so many lines that were repeated again and again. At the end of the book I was relieved to be done without the euphoria of having just read a good book that will stay with me for years to come.
Cheryl-Lynn
Feb 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I really enjoyed the first 3/4 of the book- and then the twist it had made it a little less desirable to me. I prefer to see people change or become better. This struck me more as a Scrooge type situation. Still had great twists and an interesting story.
Leslie
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting look at life decisions, love, and faith. If you believe that you read a certain book at a particular time of your life is meant to be, then maybe this book has lessons needed at just the right time. Who knows?
Jessica
Feb 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
What a unique story; unlike anything I've read before which immediately endeared me to it. I really enjoyed this book. Wonderful Christian message of choosing to open your heart to love and forgiveness. Definitely recommend.
Susan
May 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Vita is an angry and withdrawn middle aged woman. She is given a blue treasure box which leads to a path of grace, love and forgiveness. This an unusual story of how our lives are altered by the paths we choose to take.
Lorell
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a feel good book with a great message.
Linda Husvar
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. One must read to the end to understand what was really happening in the story. The book had many unique twists and turns. Enough said . . .
Angela
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
What was I thinking.....
Loraine
Feb 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An intriguing tale within a tale that show how love changes an angry young woman. Spellbinding.
Cindy
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good story within a story. Interesting concept of a computer program that takes over Vita's mainframe.

• A Fractured Mind: My Life with Multiple Personality Disorder
  • The Lost Art of Mixing
  • Climbing with Mollie
  • Wishin' and Hopin'
  • The Lost Art of Listening: How Learning to Listen Can Improve Relationships
  • The Peppermint Tea Chronicles (44 Scotland Street, #13)
  • The Mermaid Chair
  • Free of Me: Why Life Is Better When It's Not about You
  • The Stronghold Of God
  • Experiencing the Depths of Jesus Christ
  • The Minuteman
  • 1421: The Year China Discovered America
  • Valhalla Rising (Dirk Pitt, #16)
  • Night Over Water
  • Cordina's Crown Jewel (Cordina's Royal Family, #4)
  • The Holy Man
  • The Girls of Pearl Harbor
  • Just Curious
It’s often been debated whether a person’s destiny lies in genetics or environment, but either way, I suppose I was destined to be a fiction writer. A Baby Boomer with an English teacher and a social worker for parents, I grew up being challenged to develop my imagination, and to seek out for myself the meaning and significance of life. I learned early both the magic and mystery of stories and the ...more