Start by marking “Flower Fairies of the Garden” as Want to Read:
Flower Fairies of the Garden

Flower Fairies of the Garden

(Flower Fairies)

Twenty-four illustrated poems depict the fairies who live in the garden among the crocuses, snapdragons, and other flowers.
Published May 1st 1991 by Warne (first published January 1st 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Flower Fairies of the Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flower Fairies of the Garden

Start your review of Flower Fairies of the Garden
Calista
Another fine collection of poems celebrating flowers and fairies. Mary doesn’t change up her formula here, she gives the children more of what they want. I would suggest trying the 4 season books first as I think those are the best, but if you have this, you will experience the charm Cicely brought to the garden.

I enjoy the poems, pictures, and fairies. I did not read this to the nephew and the niece was not interested this time around.
Nicola Mansfield
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nicola by: mum
This isn't really a review but rather an homage to a book, a memory, a keepsake. This book was my mother's from when she was a little girl and she kept it in her underwear drawer. My parents' room was the forbidden zone and we only went in when invited, otherwise I would just stand upon the threshold looking in, hoping I'd be invited. So if I was, I remember it smelled like talcum powder, it was usually when my mum was getting ready for going out. I'd get to see the special stuff and this was ...more
Mila
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm happy to say that I've grown all the flowers in this book (almost all at the same time) and seeing them on these pages in the middle of winter brings back happy memories of summer. I love them all but one of my favourites is the Narcissus who has a cute "ruffle" around her waist. Another favourite is The Song of the Pink Fairies. Did you know that:
"Snip, snip, snip, go busy fairy scissors,
Pinking out the edges
of the petals of the Pinks"

Ha ha, get it? Fairies with their pinking shears! And
Sep 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: don-t-judge-me
My favorite of the series.

Photobucket
Bec
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
A really lovely little book. I found a copy quite by chance at an op-shop. It's a beautiful little read.
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An old childhood favourite: not especially for the poems but for the beautiful illustrations.
Jaimie
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't 100% sure what we were going to get with this collection as it was the first of Barker's non-seasonal selections of fairies, but she collected this batch with surprising skill. Or maybe less surprise, since she's long proven that she knows her flora! Here, we are presented with a rainbowed selectionof flowers that I am sure most readers will recognize because they are in fact typical garden specimens. I'm no garden expert, as our "garden" was coprised of trees/bushes or plants that grew ...more
Robin
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This lovely volume’s pages are petite, a suitable format for youngsters to read, and appropriate to the diminutive size of the flower fairies themselves. Originally published in 1944, each page contains a short poem about a particular kind of flower and the fairies that are known to inhabit it. Each poem is illustrated on the facing page with a charming and detailed watercolor of the flower and its fairies. There are girl fairies, boy fairies, and even baby fairies, so this volume could be ...more
La pointe de la sauce
Dec 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Song of the Forget-Me-Not Fairy

Where do fairy babies lie
Till they're old enough to fly?
Here's a likely place, I think,
'Mid these flowers, blue and pink,
(Pink for girls and blue for boys:
Pretty things for babies' toys!)
Let us peep now, gently. Why,
Fairy baby, here you lie!

Kicking there, with no one by,
Baby dear, how good you lie!
All alone, but O, you're not-
You could never be-forgot!
O how glad I am I've found you,
With Forget-me-nots around you,
Blue, the colour of the sky!
Fairy baby,
Leah
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Guardians with younger children
Recommended to Leah by: My Nanny - Kathleen Jarvis
Shelves: childrens
My nan read these poems with me each night that I stayed over, and for that they will always be special to me.

This specific collection was especially meaningful as all the flowers listed in the book were in my garden at home, so i used to daydream that there were fairies in the garden hiding behing petals, pretending they weren't there!

I just wished that Barker would have considered doing a story. The poems were beautiful, but a story conbining the fairies would have been magical!
Emma
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's funny how little things like this stay with you. I covered my room in Flower Fairy photos when I was younger, and memorised the poems. I thoroughly believed fairies existed, and (though in a different way) I still do. This book (and the others of the Flower Fairy series) gave me a bunch of memories and a new way of looking at things - it really helped with my imagination and seeing the world and nature as much more magical as a child, which I think is really important!
Your Common House Bat
As always I loved Barker's poetry. It's so full of life and was the prefect read for spiring time.
Leslie
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, read-alouds
My boy loved these books. We read them by season and this was the last one for us. So sad to reach the end of the series.
Gail
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, picture, poetry
Wonderful, whimsical world of Cicely Mary Barker.
Diana Maria
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Mesmerising!!! Wonderful artwork and such pretty rhymes:)
Judy Lipstein
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Classic. Charming illustrations
Sarah Crawford
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was first published in 1944 in England as part of a series of books by Cicely Mary Barker. There are 19 garden fairies in the book, and each illustration of a fairy is done in color. There is also one black-and-white drawing with it's own poem/prose.

The Forget-Me-Not fairy entry has something interesting; the idea of pink for girls and blue for boys goes back at least as far as when this book was written. I've read elsewhere that, at one time, the colors were the exact opposite, but I
Maureen
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this at the weekend and still enjoyed the poetry and the beautiful illustrations as much as I did when I was a child. Must look out for the rest of the Flower Fairy series to relive more of my childhood days.
Suzanne Kunz Williams
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, reviewed-books
Once you read a Flower Fairy book I doubt you will ever look at flowers the same again. Each will have a personality! Cecely's books have sense a sense of peace about them.
m a r i a
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
* MULTIPLE *
Kaye
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, fantasy
Delightful illustrations - "accuracy of botanical detail", charming and beautiful fairies!
Tallulah
Aug 15, 2010
Morgan
May 06, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The 101 Dalmatians (The Hundred and One Dalmatians, #1)
  • The Starlight Barking (The Hundred and One Dalmatians, #2)
  • The Amazing Book is Not on Fire
  • The Secret History of Mermaids and Creatures of the Deep
  • Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures
  • The Indian in the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard, #1)
  • Chocolat (Chocolat, #1)
  • Perennial Pleasures: Reflections on Flowers and Gardens
  • A Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns
  • Pumpkin: The Raccoon Who Thought She Was a Dog
  • Birthday
  • A Day and Night in the Rain Forest
  • The Snowy Day (Peter, #1)
  • Cosy: The British Art of Comfort
  • Aunt Amelia
  • Edward Scissorhands: The Final Cut
  • Mabel Murple
  • Wild Feelings
Cicely Mary Barker was the illustrator who created the famous Flower Fairies; those ethereal smiling children with butterfly wings. As a child she was influenced by the works of the illustrator Kate Greenaway, whom she assiduously copied in her formative years. Her principal influence, however, was the artwork of the Pre-Raphaelites.

Flower Fairies (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • Flower Fairies of the Autumn