Start by marking “The Sackett Companion: A Personal Guide to the Sackett Novels” as Want to Read:
The Sackett Companion: A Personal Guide to the Sackett Novels

The Sackett Companion: A Personal Guide to the Sackett Novels (The Sacketts)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  355 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
America's favorite storyteller offers a unique personal look into the complete background and creation of his most widely read novels. L'Amour provides detailed descriptions of the books' characters, the times in which they lived, the locales, as well as fascinating commentary on many little known aspects of our national history.
Published October 1st 1988 by Bantam (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Sackett Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sackett Companion

Richard
Apr 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Louis L'Amour fans
A great addition to any Louis L'Amour collection, this book is filled with trivia, insights and useful information. Here is one of my favorite parts:

It has often been said that we have but one life to live; that is nonsense. If one reads fiction he or she can live a thousand lives, in many parts of the world or in outer space. One can cross a desert, climb the Himalayas, or experience the agony of defeat, the triumph of victory, the pangs of starvation, or the choking thirst of the desert, all
John
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1fiction, box15
Hove no idea why I got this book - I do Like the Sackett novels but you really have to like them to enjoy this
Oleta Blaylock
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have only read small parts of this book. If you are a true Sackett family fan and want to know more about the books and the thought processes that went into creating those stories. You need to get this book and go through it. There is also a partial family tree in one of the last few chapters that is so wonderful. There is are lists of all kind of things found in the books, Fictional and Historical Characters, Places, Ranches and Brands, Books, etc, etc. There is also an Index.
Kyle Miller
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love The Sackett series! This companion has really enriched my understanding of America and I truly enjoyed following Barnabas from the Fens of England to the Carolinas, and Jubal as he made his way Westward. It was like I was reliving one of my ancestors lives.
William  Knight
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It has a plethora of background information on the Sackett books written by Louis L'Amour. I read it after rereading the Sackett books. I should have read the section for each book as I started it. While reading it separately was fun, it would have been better for me to read both books together.

The background information is well-researched. Mr. L'Amour has walked or ridden over most of the landscape covered in the books. He also understands the history due to extensive researc
Ed
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
804.91 A personal guide to the Sackett novels. 17 novels spanning the adventures of the Sackett from 1600 England to the American Western frontier of 1880. Although author L'Amour planned on at least 45 novels spread over the period, the 17 novels written are heavily back-ended with 12 of them taking place in the 1870s.
Serena
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: western, 20th-century

My Rating System:
Don Gubler
Good background and back story information. I wish I had had this available to read as I was reading the stories.
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
A guide to the Sackett novels of Louis L'Amour identifying the characters and their relationships. It also provides a flow chart of where L'Amour wanted to go with the stories of the sacketts.
Josh
Nov 22, 2015
  • The Last Trail
  • The Twentieth-Century World and Beyond: An International History Since 1900
  • The Diligent: A Voyage Through the Worlds of the Slave Trade
  • Peterson Field Guide to Birds of North America
  • The Oxford Essential Guide to Writing (Essential Resource Library) (Essential Resource Library)
  • Neil Gaiman and Philosophy: Gods Gone Wild!
  • This Realm of England, Volume 2
  • The Tasha Tudor Cookbook: Recipes and Reminiscences from Corgi Cottage
  • McGuffey's First Eclectic Reader
  • The American Revolution: Writings from the War of Independence
  • American Dictionary of the English Language
  • Six Myths of Our Time: Little Angels, Little Monsters, Beautiful Beasts, and More
  • Gunman's Rhapsody
  • From Here To Infinity: An Exploration of Science Fiction Literature (The Modern Scholar)
  • Mermaid in a Bowl of Tears
  • The Buckskin Line (Texas Rangers, #1)
  • Ryrie Study Bible Expanded Edition- New American Standard Bible
  • On Numbers and Games
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

The Sacketts (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sackett's Land
  • Lando
  • Sackett
  • Mojave Crossing
  • The Sackett Brand
“It has often been said that we have but one life to live; that is nonsense. If one reads fiction he or she can live a thousand lives, in many parts of the world or in outer space.” 1 likes