Start by marking “Playing with Fire (Skulduggery Pleasant, #2)” as Want to Read:
Playing with Fire (Skulduggery Pleasant, #2)

Playing with Fire

(Skulduggery Pleasant #2)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  22,092 ratings  ·  1,200 reviews
Skulduggery and Valkyrie are facing a new enemy: Baron Vengeous, who is determined to bring back the terrifying Faceless Ones and is crafting an army of evil to help him. Added to that, Vengeous is about to enlist a new ally (if he can raise it from the dead): the horrible Grotesquery, a very unlikable monster of legend.

Once Vengeous is on the loose, dead bodies and vampir
Published April 1st 2008 by HarperCollinsChildren’sBooks

·  22,092 ratings  ·  1,200 reviews

Rusty's Ghost Engine (also known as.......... Jinky Spring)
What a thrilling, funny yet dark plot! I loved every page, there never seems to be a dull moment in these books.. on to book 3!
Kimberley doruyter
this one shows a bit of landy's very desturbing amagination.

i love all the skulduggery pleasant books so much i can read them anytime
C.G. Drews
Woah. This series. I REALLY REALLY LIKE IT, OKAY? I may flail....but I will attempt logicalness. Because I am kind like that.

I listened to this on audio and I can't recommend it enough! It's narrated by a dude with an Irish accent and...can I say: BEST ACCENT IN THE WORLD?!! It was wonderful to listen too and the voices for different characters were perfection. It also went really fast. I listened to it all in just a few days.

These books are downright hilarious. If I can only ask for two thing
Pranta Ghosh Dastider
An endless night made me finish the book. Or rather it kept me awake! If you say its a young-adult, you are perhaps lowing its caliber. It doesn't shy on hardcore action, brutality, violent killings. It has a rich storyline, continues action, fun and miracle. After Harry Potter and Dresden Files, I am enjoying a series so much.

Three cheers for Derek Landy. You Rock!!
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This is a crazy book series, but I like that about it. A lead character who is a sorcerer whose body is skeletal. A thirteen-year-old girl who stays out all night fighting evil creatures and sends her reflection to school as a stand in. Heinous, and I do mean heinous villains who don't mind exploding people, along with psychopathic assassins with Southern accents who can dig through the ground and who have a favorite straight razor. Yup. That's what this book is about.

I think that this one is a
Mario
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read, own
4.5

Playing with Fire continues right where Skulduggery Pleasant left off. An evil force is still trying to release Faceless Ones, and our heroes, Skulduggery and Valkyrie, have to stop it.

Just like with the first novel, I got just what I expected: a thrilling, funny and action packed book, that I would fly through. Not quite good as the first one, but still a fun read. Can't wait to continue on with the series.
ambsreads
Honestly, it's great. What else can I say? It was enjoyable, it was fast, it was hilarious. It's basically everything I want in a story with no unnecessary romance.

I'll still write a full review for book one, but I doubt I will for every book in this series.
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018, read-2013
Every time I read these books I get this warm and fuzzy feeling, suddenly my crops are flourishing, my skin is clear, my depression and anxiety are cured ah how I love Skulduggery Pleasant
Ryan Buckby
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
actual rating: 4.5/5 stars

We're not retreating, we're advancing in reverse.

Well for a sequel that i hadn't picked up in nearly a year i still managed to jump back into this world and enjoy it as much as the first book.

Plot: we'll plot wise i think this book was a lot stronger from the first book and it definitely has matured and stepped up. I loved how much the dynamic between Skulduggery and Valkyrie has changed in the course of the year story plot i think these two have now a good unders
Lauren Stoolfire
I'm definitely glad I decided to continue on with this series. Even though it's been a while since I finished the first installment, it was still quite easily recall what happened way back then. There are so many things to like about this series - I particularly love the sense of humor and the dialogue between Valkyrie and Skulduggery. Landy also does a fantastic job writing action and developing the magic system of the world. If you liked the series opener, you'll need to continue on here becau ...more
Grüffeline
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"I don't know what they are, but there are dozens of them, relatively small, moving as a pack."
"They might be kittens," she said hopefully.
"They're stalking us."
"They might be shy."
"I don't think it's kittens, Valkyrie."
"Puppies then?"

I love Skulduggery and Valkyrie. I'm so glad I decided to reread this (in English this time) and I can't wait until I can get my hands on Midnight.
This book is extremely funny with a great sense of humor (Skulduggery and Valkyrie bickering is the best!), but dark
Sam
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After listening on Audio to the first book in the ‘Skulduggery Pleasant’ series I couldn’t wait to read the second. The first book was funny, magical and full of adventure, and this one also delivers all of those things. I love the soundtrack and special effect sounds on the audio book, it really sets the scene and makes the story more exciting! In the first book there were so many laugh out loud moments but I didn’t feel like there were as many in this one. I still really love the banter betwee ...more
Abby
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If books were food, Skulduggery Pleasant would be a chocolate-covered gummy bear.
Allow me to elaborate. At first, the idea of a chocolate-covered gummy bear sounds weird and a little gross. But in reality, although it is weird, it is completely delicious. In the same way, the idea of Skulduggery Pleasant is weird and unappealing: the hero is a skeleton sorcerer. Gross. But once you taste it, you discover how delightfully fun it is. Don't get me wrong, it isn't very good for you. In fact, consume
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle School
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: Goodreads
Dear Pretties,

I'm excited to be able to read this series! The first book was excellent and I have Brooks from One Piece pop into my head. I find it so humorous, because to me I can positively say that this wouldn't seem strange to me...
 photo tumblr_me33yoOlnj1qfbz1so1_500.gif

For some reason it seems that the villains are funnier than the protagonists. You're definitely in for a good laugh while reading this installment. I recommend for angsty early teens.
That's all for now.
Cheers!
shizuku
Gemma
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's like Doctor Who and Harry Potter had a love child
The Captain
Ahoy there me mateys!  So this is the second book in the series.  No real spoilers but read further at yer own peril . . .

This book continues the adventure of a detective named Skulduggery Pleasant who just happens to be a walking, talking skeleton who can do magic.  His sidekick, Stephanie is back as well.  While I still enjoyed the banter between the two, I still feel that the battle between the good and evil seems lackluster.

Part of the issue is that the "fights" basically dissolve into a cou
Katie.dorny
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first one. It still had an amazing plot and sub plots, which I'm excited to discover more about in the next
Book; the sarcasm was still on point and I love the dialogue - but it didn't have something that the first had and I just can't place my finger on it.
Never mind, on to the next one!
RJ McGill
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Shelves: kids, reviewed
Wow - What Fun!

Moving forward in her apprenticeship to Skulduggery, Valkrie Cain (aka Stephanie Edgley) has made great strides, but has a great deal left to learn. Skulduggery's old nemesis, Baron Vengeous and his band of legendary monsters, known as the Grotesguery are determined to release the Faceless Ones and destroy the world. Of course, the oh' so cool, ultra chic, quick witted wizard stands in their way.

The story takes off when the Baron escapes from what was reportedly an inescapable pr
Totoro
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
the second book in skulduggery pleasant series :
well the story continues with some new characters, new enemies and friends, the goal of the bad guys hasn't changed, it's still raising the faceless ones :/
though that might be a little bit boring to the more mature readers, the book makes up for it by more humorous moments and comments,which reminded me a little of Terry Pratchet's works, more cliff hangers and oh my god the new bad guys , they are soo coool , skulduggery is no longer my only fav
Ayesha (The Fifth Marauder)
Okay so this wasn't as good as the first book, but by only just a smidge. A light hearted, funny read, perfect for getting over heart breaking books. (In this case We Were Liars)

The author's witty humour is hilarious, and the banter between Skulduggery and Valkyrie was what I live for.
Jovana
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What it's trying to do, it does amazingly. Fun, funny, adventurous, unusual, kick-ass characters, good vilains, everything a classically entertaining book has and so much more (also more female). No time to breathe, too, an amazing thing to have :D
I may be subjective with the stars, but i dont give a flying fuck, this was amazing :D
Amanda
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second time reading this and first time listening to the audiobook. I enjoyed this more than Scepter of the Ancients and can't wait to continue my reread of the Skulduggery Pleasant series!
❤Amy and Sofie❤ sorta on semi hiatus
Just when you think you saved the world.....

" What?" he asked
" you kicked him" she said " but you dont do those kind of kicks. Tanith does those kind of kicks."

" your impressed aren't you?" he put both hands flat against he side of the pool table and shrugged. "im probably your hero."

" oh shut up. " Valkyrie snapped back.

think you saved the world? whatever you didnt save more than only 20 souls. world is at risk, you know, what else can i say? its the truth, gotta live with it or deal with it.

IM
Valnik
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Flower

Well once again I have completed another book! While on my journey to finish watching the Clone Wars tv series so I can do a review on the Ahsoka novel, I decided to keep read- Okay, I really didn't 'decide' to do it more than I REALLY wanted to keep reading Skulduggery in the meantime until I can actually complete that. We'll see how long that takes me or if I get sucked into reading this whole series before being able to move on.

If you HAVE NOT read my first review on Skulduggery Pleasant pl
Kathryn
3.5 STARS

I enjoyed this story but not nearly as much as the first book and not nearly as much as I'd hoped. While Landy's talent as a writer is still evident, and I still love the characters of Skulduggery and Valkyrie (and some of the new ones are very interesting! I think my "favorite" is Billy Ray Sanguine), I felt this story lacked the sparkle and wit of the first one. It focused more on action sequences and less on character development and dialogue. The action sequences are well written as
Qt
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another thrilling adventure with Skulduggery, and a delicious sequel to the first :-) More freaky bad guys than you can shake a stick at, lots of action and magic, and plenty of humor made this another really fun ride. I'm looking forward to the third!
Yuli Atta - Damaged Pages
Bulgarian review

I think this one was better than the first book because there was more action and I like when I read about good battles ^^
Anyway, this series is very addictive.
daisy
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Nostalgia aside, I just really adore this series, its world-building and its characters tbh. Can't wait to get through the rest of the books!
Stef White
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic story. I look forward to it getting better and better :)
Tara
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one wrapped up a tad too neatly in my opinion, but that's the only problem I had with it. I still really enjoyed it, and I'm ready to dive into the gang's next adventure right away!

5 stars!
Vampires, Weres a...: Skullduggery Pleasant Month Two 10 12 Feb 15, 2018 08:32AM
Harrison Brown - Mrs Sodano 1 4 Nov 22, 2017 10:53PM
Luke De Filippis - Ms Alter 1 3 Jun 25, 2017 06:56PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris (Theodosia Throckmorton, #2)
  • Starcross (Larklight, #2)
  • Pure Dead Wicked
  • Alexander's Army (Unicorne Files, #2)
  • Zero Moment (The Joshua Files, #3)
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • A Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • Timothy and the Dragon's Gate (Alex and the Ironic Gentleman, #2)
  • Monster Madness (Nightmare Academy #2)
  • Scattered, Smothered and Chunked (Bubba the Monster Hunter #1)
  • The Brimstone Key (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #1)
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Child of the Flames (The Seven Signs, #1)
  • The Whispering Skull (Lockwood & Co., #2)
  • The Eternal Tomb (Oliver Nocturne, #5)
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
Derek Landy is an Irish writer and screenwriter. In addition to the bestselling children's/YA series of Skulduggery Pleasant books, a supernatural mystery series starring Skulduggery Pleasant, a skeleton detective, and Valkyrie Cain, a young female magician, he has written two screenplays that have been made into films: the IFTA award winning "Dead Bodies" and the IFTA nominated "Boy Eats Girl". L ...more

Skulduggery Pleasant (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1)
  • The Faceless Ones (Skulduggery Pleasant, #3)
  • Dark Days (Skulduggery Pleasant, #4)
  • Mortal Coil (Skulduggery Pleasant, #5)
  • Death Bringer (Skulduggery Pleasant, #6)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Skulduggery Pleasant, #7)
  • Last Stand of Dead Men (Skulduggery Pleasant, #8)
  • The Dying of the Light (Skulduggery Pleasant, #9)
  • Resurrection (Skulduggery Pleasant, #10)
  • Midnight (Skulduggery Pleasant, #11)
“Are you going to shoot me?' Vengeous sneered. 'I wouldn't be surprised. What would a thing like you know about honor? Only a heathen would bring a gun to a sword fight.'

And only a moron would bring a sword to a gunfight.”
621 likes
“We're not retreating, we're advancing in reverse.' --Skulduggery Pleasant” 560 likes