Start by marking “Homecoming” as Want to Read:
Homecoming

Homecoming

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  457 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Love is thicker than blood.

When Yale student Sarah Storm comes out to her parents, they disown her and withdraw all support for her education. A few days later, Sarah's long-term girlfriend breaks up with her and Sarah loses everything that matters—family, future dreams, and love. Forced to leave Yale with only the contents of her dorm room and a boat of a car bequeathed t
Published July 22nd 2008 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about Homecoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homecoming

Luce
3.5 Stars rounded up to 4 Stars for the audiobook. Read by Hope Newhouse. Newhouse did a good job. No complaints.

Overall I enjoyed this book. In the first chapter or so (chapters in audiobooks don't often align with printed version) - we meet Sarah Storm who is having an emotional breakdown. Her parents discover that she is a lesbian, they disown her, and withdraw their financial support at YALE. Not long after this her long time YALE girlfriend breaks up with her. It is really heartbreaking to
Sprinkles
Reading about college students is a fair break from drama involving cheating husbands and babies and whatnot. Relating to the characters' issues makes a big difference and I found myself rooting for Rory and Sarah. Sarah's kinda genderbendering and she's hot; no doubt Rory would gravitate towards her.

While the story's great, I wish we got more of Rory and Sarah's development. I see other reviewers mention the big focus on gay rights politics. Either it didn't make a difference to me or I might'v
Jill Sorenson
Sep 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Cute romance between college roommates. Pros: Adorable characters, modern dialogue, sweet and satisfying love story. Cons: underexplored family dynamics, several unnecessary setup/backstory chapters, and a little too much focus on gay rights politics. Overall, a nice read with two very likeable heroines.
Lara
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actual rating 3.5 stars.

The novel has a pretty interesting plot about a lesbian whose parents disown her once they find out she's gay/dating a girl so she transfers to a different university and spends the rest of the book working on a campaign to get people to vote at a referendum against gay marriage (and of course also falling for her roommate).

Honestly, I wasn't the biggest fan of the plot but that's just because it's literally what a went through a few years ago when we had the same refere
Jae Coleman
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's targeted at you'd adults-college ages MCs. It's rooted in real life family dynamics, and the 20 something angst of coming out to your self and our family. I liked the weave in of the marriage marriage efforts. It's a fun, uncomplicated read if you fall outside the demographic of the main characters, and if you fall inside it will be very relatable. Smart, funny dialogue.
Emma
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read, I love the characters.
qrbooks
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
F/F romance

This story follows the mostly academic life of two Rhode Island college roommates who transition from best friends to lovers during the course of their junior year. Basically, one 20ish emotionally troubled butch with abandonment issues meets one soft femme straight girl who may not be as straight as she thinks. A shared project on gay rights brings them close throughout the school year.

It's a coming out story with respectable character development, albeit riddled in politica
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sarah Storm is a girl who is enrolled at Yale. She's a good student and has not been in any major trouble of any kind in the past.

But when her parents find out that she is a lesbian, everything hits the fan. Her parents refuse to pay for any more of her Yale education, so she has to leave the college. They also kick her out of the house, so she has to find some friends to stay with. They cut off her cell phone and even end up totally disowning her. Even when she's had time to start to rebuilt h
Miriam Cortez
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Finished this at work. Haha comes to show i can read any where any time i have a little time. But yeah this one actually very inspiring. Its great book to read after the law that passed on Friday, cause in this one they fight for the right to love who they want in Rhode Island. I loved it very much and how after fighting not only what her family though of her but also fought her self for the right to love who she wanted in the end. its amazing how Song fell in love with Storm little by little wh ...more
Rey Morales
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet homecoming!!!

Such an amazing story line. I totally fell for Rory, such a strong character. Gotta admit, I was really hesitant to purchase this book but seeing all those pretty amazing reviews. Hands down I don't regret purchasing it. I loved it. Finding good story lines has become a rarity for me. I'm really happy Rory and Sarah pulled it together and fought for their chance at love. Amazing author Nell stark!
Jackie
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
2.5 A worthy but very flatly written story of a college-aged woman dealing with the emotional and financial rejection of her parents, her work campaigning to defeat a state amendment banning gay marriage, and her attraction to her purportedly straight roommate. With so much telling of each characters' interior emotions, the book gives the reader no room to imaginatively engage, and thus empathize, with these characters.
Littledetours
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my go-to comfort reads. Is it a literary masterpiece? No. But is it enjoyable and does it it do a darn good job of filling me with a warm, fuzzy feeling? Absolutely! Objectively, I cannot say this is more than a fun read, but it does tug on my heartstrings and it does leave one heck of a smile on my face. And sometimes that's all I need.
Miranda Baker
I bought this book because of the hot cover. Okay, fine, I also heard the author speak at the IASPR conference and was very impressed. I loved how the (somewhat) universal insecurities of love were portrayed in Homecoming. Great banter, hot love scenes, smart and sweet. She didn't skip any steps on the emotional journey, and it was a pleasure to read.
Dana
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have really love this book. Dońt hesitate!!
Shameika
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I must admit the cover was the reason I wanted so badly to read this book! I read it within an hour and fell in love with the characters! I was pleased!
Erica
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
File under: relationship goals.
Selena
Nov 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really liked reading about Sarah's journey and how she learns to stand with pride. The character of Rory is fresh and I ended up really liking the way she is.
Selena
Nov 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Nell Stark is already on her way to being an awesome writer...
Poison
Dide
Nov 12, 2016
Jade
Mar 04, 2015
  • Goldenseal (Garoul, #1)
  • Sierra City
  • It Should Be a Crime
  • Beyond the Breakwater (Provincetown Tales, #2)
  • September Canvas
  • Call Me Softly
  • Mine
  • Broken Wings
  • Indelible
  • Just Business
  • Beneath the Willow
  • Crystal's Heart
  • Tropical Storm (Dar and Kerry, #1)
Author of the following lesbian romance novels:
1) Running With the Wind (Bold Strokes Books, 2007)
2) Homecoming (Bold Strokes Books, 2008)

Co-author (with Trinity Tam) of the EVERAFTER paranormal romance series:
1) everafter (2009)
2) nevermore (2010)
3) nightrise (2011)
More about Nell Stark...

“Love was supposed to be like that, wasn’t it? A sort of joyful, barely contained madness…” 4 likes