Start by marking “Death Swatch (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #6)” as Want to Read:
Death Swatch (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #6)

Death Swatch (A Scrapbooking Mystery #6)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  1,064 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Murder comes to Mardi Gras! The seventh in the popular series - including scrapbooking tips. Jekyl Hardy is hosting a Mardi Gras party in his French Quarter apartment, amid Zydeco rhythms and popping champagne corks. On a wild night like this, anything can happen. The guests, including scrapbook-store owner Carmela Bertrand, never imagine it will be murder. But as the even ...more
Published September 2nd 2008 by Berkley Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Death Swatch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Swatch

Lain
Jul 24, 2008 rated it liked it
After disliking the first five books in this series (WHY did I keep reading? They're about scrapbooking!), I actually enjoyed this one! Carmela wasn't quite the dunce she'd been in previous books, and the mystery had lots of New Orleans intrigue.

Carmela, a gorgeous scrapbook store owner in New Orleans, is on the hunt for a murderer (again!). Someone has offed one of Jekyl's business associates, and Carmela is the one to find the body. Set against the backdrop of Mardi Gras, the mystery winds thr
Cindy
Oct 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, cozy
Contemporary mystery set in post-Katrina New Orleans during Mardi Gras. You would think that this would be a perfect book for me, since I love mysteries and I love scrapbooking. But I didn't really enjoy it. I'm giving it 3 stars, because I did finish it, but honestly, it could have been so much better. It seemed a little like the author just threw everything in there and sort of hoped a plot would emerge, complete with a killer and a motive. A killer did emerge, and a motives, but no explanatio ...more
Marci
Nov 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
I would recommend this book (as well as others in the series) only on two conditions: you are an avid scrapbooker and mystery lover and you are not too picky about the quality of your literature. Since I meet the conditions I liked the book okay...enough to finish it. But I would be hard-pressed to recommend it to a general audience.
ette
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, cozy-mystery
I was sick in bed. It was there. I wouldn't recommend it. Plausibility is light. The characters are OK. There's better out there.
Marilyn
Aug 26, 2011 rated it liked it
A new story, oh boy. This is one of Laura Childs Scrapbooking Mysteries. It is set in New Orleans. Like the Tea Shop Mysteries, the main character Carmella Bertrand owns a craft shop and her partner in crime is Ada who owns a Voodoo Shop. They get into several "pickles" while doing their amateur detective sleuthing when a friend is most grisly murdered with a barbed wire garrote, very nasty way to die. As in all the Laura Childs mysteries lots of suspected characters.

Good book, I will have to r
Danielle Gonzalez
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was another enjoyable mystery as Carmela and her best friend Ava try to figure out who murdered the neighbor of her good friend Jekyl. This story also includes historical references to the pirate Jean Lafitte and the search for his hidden treasures. It's fun to watch the escapades of the two girls. There are a handful of potential suspects, and you find out who committed the murder in the last chapters. It is also a fun read to see how Carmela is doing with romance as well. Wiithout giving ...more
Mindy
Sep 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
I really like Laura Childs' tea shop mysteries and generally think her scrapbooking ones are OK. However, I didn't like this one. Maybe it was the setting during Mardi Gras in New Orleans (which doesn't appeal to me), but she also had lot of little details and conversations that didn't seem to pertain to the storyline at all.
Lynda
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I gotta stop picking these books up thinking I'll like them. The scrapbooking is only okay and the ending seemed just thrown together. Ultimately unsatisfying.
Kim
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was another fun New Orlean & Scrapbooking mystery. Costumes and vampires oh-my.
Karen Hufman
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I keep saying I'm not going to read anymore of these and then I find another one in my stash of books. This one didn't bother me as much as the previous ones. I actually figured out fairly early on who the culprit was. In this one, Carmela finds one of Jekyl's friends dead on his balcony during a pre-Mardi Gras party.
Stacy Hedges
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was an easy read. It took awhile to get into the story. Once I did it was fun and couldn't put it down.
Lyn Soulia smith
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The girls are always putting them selves in trouble. Light funny and a bit of love
Michelle Randall
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I love to Scrapbook, in fact I have a number of albums in progress for my children and for holidays and such. I am always checking out new techniques and supplies. So I guess it comes as no surprise that I liked this book.

When the author is describing Memory Mine, the Scrapbook story, I can see it clearly in my mind, and when she talks about a technique that they do in the store, I can clearly see exactly what she is talking about, and I think that is probably one reason that I really like this
Dharia Scarab
Becky
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It's February and it's Mardi Gras! Time for krewe parades! Marching bands and tossing of the beads as parade goers shout, "Throw me somethin, Mister!"

And, of course, a murder happens. This time it's a friend of a friend. Carmela's good friend Jekyll has friend helping him design the krewe floats. This friend was in the middle of something which may have been the motive of his demise. Jekyll asks Carmela to help him find out who and why. Always willing to help, Ava joins the investigation. Carmel
Michelle
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This is the sixth book in Laura Childs' Scrapbooking cozy mystery series. This one takes place at Mardi Gras as Carmela and her friend Ava attend a party by friend Jekyl Hardy. Ava is interested in the float designer, Archie, but they are shocked to find him garroted by a piece of barbed wire on the balcony. Carmela agrees to help investigate the death. She and Ava find out that Archie was on the hunt for a legendary treasure and begin following the clues. The hunt leads them to illegal absinthe ...more
Patty
Nov 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoy this series, I like Carmela and Ada and the entire cast of characters who inhabit the French Quarter in New Orleans. Since the series is set post-Katrina it contains some insights into the devastation that Hurricane Katrina brought to that glorious old city.

In this episode Carmela and Ada are hunting a murderer as well as a treasure. Policeman Babcock is busy warning them to stay out of things while Carmela and Ada are blithely ignoring him at every turn. There were a couple of TSTL mom
Jennifer A.
Jul 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011
It was enjoyable, but darn it, I wish Carmela would resolve her relationship with her husband. I don't like that dragging on thru book after book.

I have to say, I agree with some of the other reviews that this book seems a bit "thrown together." Some of the events are a bit disjointed and didn't really seem to further the overall story. (and, sad to say, it's only been a couple days but I already can't remember the particulars behind the murder. Part of that is my memory, but part of that is bec
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
The latest novel in the scrapbooking series by Laura Childs. Once again Carmela finds herself in the midst of a murder investigation and instead of leaving it to the police she decides to investigate herself. Apparently she does a good job of it because she has solved several other murders and has a reputation for getting the job done.

In previous books there has also been some interest between officer Babcock and Carmela and will they truly test those feelings in this book? maybe, you need to re
Ruth
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Jekyl Hardy hosts wonderful parties in his elegant apartment in New Orleans. Carmela Bertrand and her friend Ava attended the party. What they didn't expect was to find a dead body along with their drinks. Knowing that Carmela has helped to solve a crime in the past, Jekyl asks her to help solve the murder that has occured in his apartment. Mardi Gras is about to begin and Carmela and Ava begin to investigate. They turn up several suspects. Who is it? Will they be able to not only solve the crim ...more
Jennifer Gelert
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another of my favorite authors. This takes place in New Orleans and the heroine owns a scrapbook store. She and her best buddy, Ava, always seem to get drawn into solving crimes and this book is no different.

It is Mardi Gras and the town is getting ready for the parade of floats for Fat Tuesday. While at a party at a friends a murder takes place and the two women are determined to find the killer.

I also enjoy the scrapbook tips given through out the book. Reading and scrapbooks are two of my fav
Julia
Sep 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Murder and Mardi Gras--Carmela Bertrand always has a lot on her plate. While a guest at her friend Jekyl Hardy's Mardi Gras party, Carmela stumbles across float designer Archie Baudier's dying body on the balcony. As usual, Carmela and her best friend Ava are called upon to check into things for their acquaintances, sometimes helping, sometimes hindering police work. Once again, I appreciated that Childs doesn't shy away from Katrin references and the long road ahead for some New Orleans citizen ...more
Jana Kerr
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it

This series of books are what I would call light reading. But I am a scrapbooker and love mysteries, so I picked one up and have enjoyed all that I've read. They are set in New Orleans, and have a cast of characters I like - mostly lovable, several quirky, and some despicable ones thrown in. If you are looking for a light, fun, mystery give this series a try. (All include scrapbooking ideas and recipes.)
Elizabeth Kennedy
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Fun continuation of the Scrapbooking series written by Laura Child. during Mardit Gras, someone is murdered at a party and Carmela and Ava are asked to look into things. They find out that the murdered man was hot on the pirate Jean Lafitte's trail, and it doesn't take too much of an imagination to intuit the real treasure after Detective Babcock steps in. There are craft projects and recipes in here as well. This was entertaining, but highly unbelievable.
Ann
Jul 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Carmela and her friend Ava are attending a pre-Mardi Gras party when a man is murdered on the balcony. Carmela and Ava find that the victim was an avid coin collector and was searching for the treasure of Jean Laffite, a famous pirate. This was a good book but Carmela is beginning to tread into bossy nosy territory that turns me off. I sincerely hope she doesn't cross the line because I do like this series and really like the scrapbooking tips that the author provides.
Alycia
Feb 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Eh, not that great. This is the first book that I've read in this series (so I'm out of order) but I don't think I'll be going back for anymore. The author seems to have difficulty explaining colloquialisms like "from not here" or regional customs like king cake without inserting a clip from Wikipedia. I was also distracted by many sentence fragments and editting mistakes like "grizzly circumstances" - we have no bears in this book.
Angie
Jun 29, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club
It took me three weeks to get through this book, which I attributed to it being too simplistic to really engage me. I can live with that, but the ending was a complete let-down and not true to the nature of the characters portrayed in the book. It's like the author got tired of writing so she just stopped. What a disappointment.
Paula
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
There were a few surprises in this book in the series. Certain relationships seem to be changing, and for the better, I might add. How nice, since in so many mystery series, the relationships between main characters seem fairly static. So here you have not only the current murder mystery, but also relationships between the main characters as a secondary plot line.
Val
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another Mardi Gras murder to be solved. Carmela and her friend Ava once again get involved in solving a murder that happens at one of the parties in the elegant French Quarter.

Lots of scrapbooking tips, recipes and great info on New Orleans and Mardi Gras. You feel as if you are there as the descriptions are so good. Highly recommend.
Neeka
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: laura-childs
I was actually surprised at how well I liked this book. a quick read with interesting characters. A fun plot with pirate treasure and a murder. Some fun ideas for scrapbooking and a couple of recipes I want to try. Overall - a good read.
  • Photo, Snap, Shot (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #4)
  • Deadly Notions (A Southern Sewing Circle, #4)
  • Cutwork (A Needlecraft Mystery, #7)
  • String of Lies (Craft Corner, #2)
  • Mayhem in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #2)
  • Closet Confidential (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #4)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • The Diva Haunts the House (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #5)
  • Stamped Out (A Stamping Sisters Mystery, #1)
  • Mulch Ado About Nothing (Jane Jeffry, #12)
Laura Childs is a pseudonym for Gerry Schmitt and she is the best-selling author of the Tea Shop Mysteries, the Scrapbook Mysteries, and the Cackleberry Club Mysteries.

Laura Childs is the New York Times bestselling author of the Tea Shop Mysteries, Scrapbook Mysteries, and Cackleberry Club Mysteries. In her previous life she was CEO/Creative Director of her own marketing firm and authored several
More about Laura Childs...

A Scrapbooking Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Keepsake Crimes (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #1)
  • Photo Finished (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #2)
  • Bound for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #3)
  • Motif for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #4)
  • Frill Kill (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #5)
  • Tragic Magic (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #7)
  • Fiber and Brimstone (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #8)
  • Skeleton Letters (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #9)
  • Postcards from the Dead (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #10)
  • Gilt Trip (A Scrapbooking Mystery #11)