Start by marking “Honey for a Woman's Heart: Growing Your World through Reading Great Books” as Want to Read:
Honey for a Woman's Heart: Growing Your World through Reading Great Books

Honey for a Woman's Heart: Growing Your World through Reading Great Books

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  311 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Vibrates with encouragement for women who want to explore and enjoy the world of books Gladys Hunt, long-time advocate of reading and author of the cherished Honey for a Child's Heart, has written this new book for busy women who want a wider worldview and stimulus for intellectual and emotional growth. Honey for a Woman's Heart explores: * The wonder of words, language, a ...more
Published January 7th 2002 by Zondervan (first published December 25th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Honey for a Woman's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honey for a Woman's Heart

Ginger
Oct 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-on-books
Ignore the saccharin title. This book is full of great book suggestions. Not a terribly novel lot (no pun intended), but a good reminder to add them to my never ending books to read list.

If you're one of those who is often searching for a next great book to read, this is a good resource.
Kari
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love her friendly way of writing and the books she talks about all sound so good. Have a nice list to work from now.
Kayla
May 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ugh...I tried. I really appreciated the more succinct book list in Honey For A Child’s Heart, as well as the focus on high morals and looking for the “best” of Children’s literature. This version for women felt like she got too 5 book lists from any random woman she could find, and the book was sooo long, I couldn’t hope to have that same feeling of looking for the “best.” Obviously, what is “best” to one person isn’t likely to match another person’s, but I don’t feel like slugging through 100+ ...more
Mary Ann
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read about reading wonderful books! I highly recommend to anyone with a desire to fill your mind and shelves with goodness. I will have to read again and again to remind myself all the good suggestions of books I want to read!
Rachel
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, nonfiction, 2018
Thanks to this book, I added 46 books to my to-read list! I don’t know if that’s good or bad! (Just kidding; it’s good.) A great book to inspire more and deeper reading.
Kristen
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, nonfiction
Loved the book recommendations.
Barbara
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, non-fiction
I didn't think it was possible, but this book has me even more enthusiastic about the wonder and beauty of reading than I was previously, and has given me a greater urge to expand my reading even further and discover the great books that are waiting out there that I haven't encountered thus far. The author's love of literature and the richness and variety of the written word comes through clearly, and it mirrors my own. The many suggestions that she, and others, give about marvelous and worthy b ...more
Teri Pardue
Feb 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I was between giving this book 2 and 3 stars (but decided to be charitable). I definitely was not as impressed - nor did I find as much insight - from this book as Hunt's other "Honey" books. And I have a major bone to pick with her after reading this. As a woman who claims to love reading and books so intensely, I couldn't believe the number of spoilers she gave in talking about books! Twice (possibly more) she mentioned the death of a character in her synopsis/recommendation. One of the books ...more
Madison
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it
This book makes you want to read. And it makes you want to write. It demonstrates the beauty of the written word, and the value of absorbing yourself in good literature. It also encourages critical thinking, because every time you open a book you are encountering an author with their own set of presuppositions and worldview. Sometimes when I need motivation for creative writing, I flip through the first chapters of this book and get inspired.

I gave the book three stars for that reason.
I had so
Ebookwormy1
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist, non-fiction
This review goes out to all women who love to read. Ever feel you don't know what to read next? Check out "Honey for a Woman's Heart" by Gladys Hunt. She has so many recommendations (each with a summary) that you are sure to mine new gems from her work. Not only Hunt's favorites, but numerous other recommendations about books and authors come from those Hunt surveyed/ interviewed. I also like the organization of the book by reading genre (novels, historical fiction, sci-fi, mystery, etc).

While t
Marni
Dec 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good book for book suggestions. I was impressed by the wide variety of books and liked the way she broke them into categories. I added many books to my 'to-read' list that I wouldn't have. I also appreciated that her values are similar to mine.

The editor/document designer in me wishes the format was different in the book recommendation sections. Book titles are italicized but mixed into the sentence and paragraph. Give me the name of the book, then tell me what you want to say about it. It's jus
Whitney
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hunt's book is like sitting down with a close friend and chatting books. It's definitely a 'niche' book, aimed at the literary female Christian who wants to read really good books in a wide variety of genres. I love that she does not limit herself to 'Christian' writers but includes works from many parts of history, geography, and belief background. It is a little cumbersome that the entries are in paragraph format, not a bullet point - but there is a list of authors and titles in the back for q ...more
Heather Graves
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! Very well written and full of suggestion. The back of the book lists the Authors and books she mentions so I most definitely will be getting myself a copy. She has an incredible way with words making you feel as though you are carrying on a conversation with her. I loved her passionate plea for others to try new genres and to embrace written word which God has created. I will be bookmarking and ear marking this book for years to come. A Book for eveery christian woman who read ...more
Charlotte
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a book about books and it had lots of great suggestions. It made me want to read so many books and that was nice because I've been in a little slump of knowing what to read. But the surprising part of the book to me was about the Bible. It really helped me see the Bible as literature and something I want to read differently and better. And also how to read scriptures with my kids. Don't be turned off by this though. Even if you're not interested in the Bible, there is plenty here to inte ...more
LeAnne
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gladys didn't want this title; these books will nourish anyone's heart, but women buy more books. Building on her Honey for a Child's Heart (about reading aloud with children) and Honey for a Teen's Heart (about nourishing a Christian worldview through literature) Honey for a Woman's Heart is rich in recommended reading no matter what your taste.
Malissa
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
I devoured this book about books!! She gives fantastic recommendations, hundreds of books that should be on every person's To Be Read list. She makes good points about controversial topics (violence, sexual content, and vulgarity), and she reignited the passion for reading I once had years ago. I would recommend this to every one, male or female.
Ronette
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Hunt's book is definitely written from the perspective of a Christian. There are great recommendations to be had for any reader but those who are not Christians might find the narrative annoying.

I have developed quite a "to-read" list from the trove of books listed here. I'll be busy for a long time.

This one stays on my shelf in prominent view for when I need a new author or genre to explore.
Eve
Dec 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education, novels, poetry
I found the only really helpful part of this book were the reading suggestions sprinkled throughout the book's chapters. The actual content of the book was really boring and unnecessary, unless you are the kind of person who has never really read books before. The suggestions were worthwhile and I keep this book for the recommendations when I need a new 'tried and true' title to read.
Katie
Feb 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Great reference and gave me tons of ideas for what to read next. But wasn't an easy read like "...for a Child's Heart". Didn't flow well since all the book recs were interspersed with discussion of why to read. Liked the format of the child book better-with the majority of the recs in the 2nd half in list form.
Julie Doherty
Sep 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a great reference book for BOOK LOVERS! There are many book recommendations in many different genres and categories. Gladys Hunt is a Christian, so there is even a chapter on Biblical and spiritual books. Author and story backgrounds are given on some books. I am now reading Hunt's other book, "Honey for a Child's Heart" for recommendations for whole-family reading!
Miss Lemon
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice very nice. A Christian woman's offeringn of books to read. I probably will buy a copy of this one of these days. A nice aside is boxes on every few pages with other women's 'favorites' so you're getting lots of suggestions with tiny descriptions. Well done.
Aneta
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ongoing-reads
Every once in a while, I pick this book up and read a bit of it. It's one of those books.. inspirational, educational, motivational. I think every woman who loves books might want this on her bookshelf!
Amy
Nov 14, 2007 rated it liked it
Could it have a stupider title? Heard from a friend that this book lists people's Top 5 books. Thought it would be a good resource to find new books.

This was a good resource to learn about new books. It's an anthology of sorts but in narrative form, not just a list.
Trace
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Oh my... this book will about double my Goodreads To-Read list! Lots of amazing suggestions. I loved that there were quite a few suggestions for Canadian authors. I also particularly loved the chapter about reading the bible. A book to refer to again and again.
Esther May
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh dear, my reading list is a whole lot bigger now. What a great book to help me find new books and renew my love of reading.
Becky
Oct 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A great resource for finding a good book.
Cheryl
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
If you've ever wondered just what to read... this is where to look. Great resource.
Hope
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Although I haven't enjoyed every book that I gleaned from Hunt's suggestions, I've discovered many new and wonderful authors. A wonderful book for avid readers who like substance rather than fluff.
Lexi
Jul 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good variety of books, but this one is much harder to navigate than the other "Honey For..." books.
Christy Childers
I've never liked the title of this book, but it's actually so good & I will read literally anything Gladys Hunt recommends.

Her taste in books is FLAWLESS.
  • Invitation to the Classics: A Guide to Books You've Always Wanted to Read (Masterworks Series)
  • Peril and Peace: Chronicles of the Ancient Church (History Lives #1)
  • Miniatures and Morals: The Christian Novels of Jane Austen
  • The Three R's
  • The Top Ten: Writers Pick Their Favorite Books
  • Seasons of a Mothers Heart
  • Real Learning: Education In The Heart Of The Home
  • Charlotte Mason Companion
  • The Erotic Silence of the American Wife
  • Keeping House: The Litany of Everyday Life
  • How the Heather Looks: A Joyous Journey to the British Sources of Children's Books
  • The Handbook of Nature Study
  • The Madwoman's Underclothes: Essays and Occasional Writings
  • Deconstructing Penguins: Parents, Kids, and the Bond of Reading
  • Books Children Love: A Guide to the Best Children's Literature
  • Read for the Heart: Whole Books for Wholehearted Families
  • Helper by Design: God's Perfect Plan for Women in Marriage
  • The Core: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of Classical Education

Gladys Hunt was a well-known author and speaker. Her books include Honey for a Woman’s Heart, Honey for a Teen’s Heart, and Honey for a Child’s Heart (revised edition). She also wrote numerous Bible study guides for the Fisherman and Lifeguide series. She lived with her husband, Keith, in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
More about Gladys M. Hunt

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
“Reading is a sage way to bump up against life. Reading may be an escape, but it is not an escape from my own life and problems.  It is an escape from the narrow boundaries of being only me. Reading in some wonderful ways helps me find out who I am. When she was a young girl Patricia MacLachlan's mother encouraged her to "read a book and find out who you are." And it is true that in some ways reading defines me as it refines me. Reading enlarges my vision of the world; it helps me understand someone who is different from me. It makes me bigger on the inside. We tend to see the world from our own perspective; it is good to see it from the eyes of others. Good literature helps me understand who I am in relation to what others experience. Far from being an escape from reality, good literature is a window into reality. I read to feel life.” 2 likes