Start by marking “Chosen (The Elm Stone Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chosen (The Elm Stone Saga, #1)

Chosen

(The Elm Stone Saga #1)

Chosen is an urban fantasy novel and is book one in The Elm Stone Saga. The White Elm council has governed the magical societies of the world for centuries, keeping the peace, leading the way of the light, but when popular and powerful Lisandro announces his intention to leave the council, a line is drawn in the sand.

Young Irish sorceress Aristea Byrne jumps at the opport
Published May 29th 2016 by Ouroborus Book Services (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Chosen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chosen

Start your review of Chosen (The Elm Stone Saga, #1)
Jaroslav Košut
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me tell you a story.

Once upon a time, there was a young man. Like many people his age, he enjoyed movies, video games, parties... stuff like that. He didn't read much. Actually, he didn't read at all. The last time he read a book was a decade ago. Little did he know that was about to change...

One day he ordered a book – more to show support to his friend than to satisfy his desire to read. You could say it was a regular book, since it looked like any other book, but you would be wrong. It wa
Rebecca Foster
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morgansen does a spectacular job of making magic itself appear real. It seems quite clear that she has a tremendous amount of scientific knowledge that she draws from to make this happen. Whether she has a background in science, or not, that I don't know.

But she clearly understands scientific processes and theories.

We see this in the instructors of the White Elm Academy. The reader is privy to bits and pieces of lecture that feel very much like real classroom lectures... though more interesting
JE Miller
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much. After Harry Potter ended, I thought I’d never be happy again. But then I found Chosen, shining like a bright light!
Incredibly hard to put down, it’s a wonderfully captivating and magical story full of beautifully developed characters.
I can’t wait to get the rest of the series!
Erin
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For more of my reviews, and to read a guest post from the author of Chosen, check out my blog!

My Rating: 4.75 Stars

Alright y’all, I will admit, when I first started this book, it was a little reminiscent of Harry Potter – I was immediately concerned. Teenager gets contacted by magical school that wants to train her to be a sorcerer…with a wand. However, as the book progressed, it became immediately apparent to me that while the author of this book may have been a Harry Potter fan (Shayla actuall
Phoenix J Guidosteen
The Birth of a New Classic

Earlier this year, I was delighted to have received an invitation from Ouroborus Books,to attend the world launch of what I was promised to be the beginning of a fantastic magical new series and I have to be honest in declaring that it was actually the novel's title that first captured my attention; ‘The Elmstone Saga: CHOSEN’.

I am pleased to report, that every word that followed in this novel (from first time author Shayla Morgansen), did not fail to disappoint.
From it
Hal Emmerich
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first thoughts are that I can't wait to read the next in the series. The tight, direct, impactful prose makes for an easy-to-follow flow in the action and makes the story a real page-turner. Prose is important, I think, and is the basis of style for an author, and hers, though somewhat topical, effectively comes off as unpretentious, which I prefer to flowery fluff without meaning. Her writing has the sort of bite to make the story entertaining and hard to put down. There is suspense in ever ...more
Ibanez Mick
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well Shayla I met you last year at the Fraser Pop and bought all your published novels though unfortunately I hadn't got around to reading any of them and when I said hi to you at Fraser Pop this year I went home thinking as soon as I finish Wolves of the calla I should start reading this series and I'm glad I did, it's taken a little while because I've been drawing heaps of late so reading has been secondary. Having said that I really enjoyed this book, it was very well written and structured, ...more
April
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Recently, when I go to the library to pick up the most recent batch of books I’ve requested, I’ve been also been picking a random book that catches my eye. I’ve found a bunch of mediocre reads, several genuinely awful books, and a few gems.

This is a gem.

I wasn’t sold at first. The prologue felt... kinda clunky and a bit awkward. But the more I read, the more it sucked me in. I didn’t want to stop reading and when I had to stop, I found myself thinking about it. It’s not a super slick, highly pol
Marjorie Dawson
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb young fantasy that grown in depth as it unfolds. Like all good fantasy a believable world develops and grows, switching between Aristea and her thoughts as a determined, intelligent young woman her friends, and enemies, and the grown up sorcerers of the magical world around her who are trying to cope with a desperate betrayal.

The story skillfully avoids any soppy psuedo-romantic pitfalls, using the student interaction to develop characters, move the story along, and add a touch of humour
Morgan Tonkin
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
When I found this book at supanova, it was only by chance that I chose it. The blurb lacked punch. However, I'm glad I chose it. Very well written, great characters, well-paced and it kept me hooked.

It takes a lot for me these days to continue with a series, particularly when it comes to YA, and I've read some quite famous ones, only to put them down. This is the only series I've managed to continue with since adulthood. The writing doesn't read YA, nor do the characters. A rare thing.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This entry is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

To be safe, I won't be recording my thoughts (if I choose to) here until after the AA are over.
Helena Rawlins
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A refreshing story with a refreshing heroine. A teenage girl who is NOT addicted to boys, and has a brain in her head that she uses. In other words, a real person and not a teenage stereotype.

Following Aristea's story as she delves into a new world, as an emerging adult and an emerging witch, is a joy of discovery for the reader and the main character alike.
J.J. Fryer
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a well described magic system with questions and betrayal at every corner. I have to get book 2. Well done Shayla!!!
David Seymour
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best goddamn book that I have read in a very VERY long time. I highly recommend this to anyone and everyone. Do yourself a favour and read it now!!
Rylee Smalley
Mar 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book 4 times in the last 2 years. I think it's safe to say that I love this book with all my heart. It had me on edge with every turn of the page.

Shayla has always been an inspirational person for me, since 2nd grade to be precise. Two years ago when I saw her seated at a small stall with a stack of 4 books I just knew, in that moment, that I had to get them. At this time I wasn't a big reader, but this book got me out of that major reading stump. So much so that it only took m
ALEXA
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cliffhanger ending! No fair!

I don't appreciate when an author tries to force you to read their next book by NOT ending the previous book. Well, it's not going to work. I'm too ticked off by that trick to read the next one.
Joeldipops
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is a self-published YA book, and it shows all the hallmarks of one. Bland but oh-so-special teenage protagonist, some very awkward prose that probably would have been picked up by a professional editing process, and way too much "telling" as opposed to "showing" coming from the point-of-view character's monologue. There's also an important subplot that gets pretty close to "Creepy Paranormal Romance" except for the protagonist telling us they're totally just mates every now and then. I don' ...more
Sue Holmes
Jul 17, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, arc
DNF
Theresa
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read - interesting storyline and engaging characters. Looking forward to Book 2.
Danielle Alice
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It's engaging and well written and I couldn't put it down! Looking forward to reading the next. ...more
Adam Thomson
Nov 04, 2017
G Keith
Nov 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• All Creatures Great and Small (All Creatures Great and Small, #1)
  • The Blessed Life
  • Onyx and Ivory (Rime Chronicles, #1)
  • George's Marvellous Medicine
  • Invisible Born (Dragon Force #1)
  • The Dragonet Prophecy (Wings of Fire Graphic Novel, #1)
  • Marny (Feyguard #3)
  • Her Crown of Fire (Molten Crown, #1)
  • Heart of the Moors: An Original Maleficent: Mistress of Evil Novel
  • Strange Angels (Strange Angels, #1)
  • Warrior Chicks
  • Smoke Gets in Your Eyes & Other Lessons from the Crematory
  • Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (Charlie Bucket, #2)
  • Sorcerer to the Crown (Sorcerer Royal, #1)
  • The Winner's Kiss (The Winner's Trilogy, #3)
  • The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy, #2)
  • A Very Punchable Face
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
Hi! I'm Shayla, and making stories is the basis of everything I love and do. I write lengthy books about magical happenings in ordinary places, and the supernatural crossing paths with the everyday. My favourite themes to explore in these fantasy story worlds are interdependency, found families, us-against-the-world, and a good helping of angst.

​At home in Brisbane where I'm a happy little hermit,

The Elm Stone Saga (4 books)
  • Scarred (The Elm Stone Saga, #2)
  • Unbidden (The Elm Stone Saga, #3)
  • Haunted (The Elm Stone Saga #4)

News & Interviews