Start by marking “Introducing Teddy” as Want to Read:
Introducing Teddy

Introducing Teddy

One sunny day, Errol finds that Thomas the Teddy is sad, and Errol can't figure out why. Then Thomas the Teddy finally tells Errol what Teddy has been afraid to say: 'In my heart, I've always known that I'm a girl Teddy, not a boy Teddy. I wish my name was Tilly.' And Errol says, 'I don't care if you're a girl teddy or a boy teddy! What matters is that you are my friend.'
Published June 2nd 2016 by Bloomsbury Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Teddy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Teddy

Start your review of Introducing Teddy
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Rating: 4.5 STARS

Introducing Teddy is a perfect book, in my opinion, to read to a young child. It explains just enough for a child to grasp the understanding of transgender, without getting into huge concepts. It is also just a lovely story with amazing illustrations.
Krista Regester
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The “too good to be true” easy vibe of this story is a sweet surprise for me. I think it’s important to show challenges and compromises in children’s literature – but sometimes it’s ok to just show complete acceptance too. We need both, and we also need more.
Luce
4.5/5. Super sweet and touching, and I'm so glad my library got this in on my request so that it's now available for the kids (and adults) that need it.
Sara Grochowski
I'm a fan of this quiet story about a teddy named Thomas who nervously tells his best friend Errol that, in his heart, he is Tilly the Teddy. Hurrah for Tilly and her loving friends - both new and old!
Linda
I know that gender transitioning is tough, but sometimes young children need to know a simple explanation for someone close who has those feelings inside, just as Teddy the bear does. And just as Teddy the bear finally shares how he feels, he asks for change, to be called Tilly. A couple of small switches, like putting the bowtie in her hair makes a simple point too, about expectations of others, or the outer needs of someone who wants what hasn't been allowed before. It's a lovely book, ...more
Joey Hines
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bears, lgbtq, e, 2016, teddy
Awesome picture book about a trans teddy bear. Really liking all the LGBT and particularly T visibility in kids' lit lately. My only qualm: since part of the idea here is that we should call people by the names they prefer, wouldn't Introducing Tilly make a better title? Similarly, I thought the excellent book George would've been better titled Melissa.
Earl
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first, I didn't like this book because it seemed to oversimplify things. But then I remembered this was meant for kids- and really for the adults who need to explain a complicated matter to kids. I'm glad a conversation can be had if the situation arises.
Nicole Field
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I get a lot of people asking me for recommendations for trans literature for all ages and I think this is the youngest one I've found: A picture book about a boy and his teddy.

Oh wow, am I glad that I picked this up. It's a short read of course, but it's hugely profound.

Told in the standard, simplified narrative of a picture book for children, this story follows the tale of a teddy who is miserable until his companion, the boy in the story, asks him what's wrong.

It explores the fear of the
Lydia
sweet!! precious !!! talks about gender and friendship. THE MOST PRECIOUS PAGE IS WHEN THE BEAR CHANGES THEIR BOW TIE TO A HAIR TIE i wept thank u.
Chiara
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A copy of this novel was provided by Bloomsbury Australia & Allen and Unwin for review.

Introducing Teddy was, in one word: gorgeous. I also think that everyone should read it, so here I have a nifty list just for you, detailing all the reasons why Introducing Teddy should be on your TBR.

1) It’s LGBTQIA+ kid lit.

I am an advocate for LGBTQIA+ lit in YA (as most of you probably know), but I also know that there is a need for LGBTQIA+ middle grade lit, and also kid lit. So to see Introducing
Virginie (chouettblog)
No book as ever given me so much trouble as a reviewer before this one.

Not because of the subject matter, but because it is less than 30 pages with just a few sentences and beautiful drawings:).

I just did not know if I would have enough to say about it! That was until I realised that it was not about the plot but about the message.

I realised I needed to review it, because it was, and is a very important book.
It is an important book whether or not you identify with your assigned gender and
robyn
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sometimes we adults make this verrrrry complicated. jessica walton made a possibly complicated issue very simple. love it!!
Sass
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet and beautiful picture book that introduces young children to the concept of gender identity in a gentle and age-appropriate way.
Kend
Aight, so: lovely book, lovely illustrations, lovely premise. Here's the perfect book to use at home or in the classroom to start conversations with children about gender roles and what it means to be trans! It is, of course, exactly the sort of book that is likely to get you, an educator or librarian or whatever, in trouble. As it did me.

The world sucks. This book does not. Read, and consider: is it more important to pacify the raging conservatives out there in the world right now, or to teach
Melissa Chung
As you all may know, I don't usually write reviews for picture books. The last one I reviewed was about a boy who wanted to wear a dress. His boy classmates teased him but realized at the end that anyone can wear a dress.

Introducing Teddy is about a teddy bear named Thomas who is very sad. His owner Errol asks him what is wrong and Thomas says "I don't feel like a boy teddy I feel like a girl teddy and I want to be called Tilly."

Just wanted people to be aware of this transgender picture book
Jennifer B.
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved, loved, LOVED this!! A sweet little teddy is worried about something. His name is Teddy, but inside, HE feels like a SHE. A simple, yet sweet and effective way of talking about transgender issues with children. Many adults would benefit, as well.
Andy
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
When the book says its a 'gentle story' they really mean it!
Sheri
Not entirely sure how to rate a children's book, seeing as I am not a kid and don't have any kids. I thought the story was sweet, if simple. The art was very charming. It seems like like a good way to start a conversation about gender identity with a small child.
Jacqueline
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely way to introduce a potentially touchy subject! Definitely putting this one in the library collection.
Kelly Lin
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a good because in this book it talk about the way to be ourselves. It also fun to have a good friend to play with.
Cassandra Gelvin
Good message, lackluster execution.

It's cute, but there's not a lot to it. I guess the subtitle, "A gentle story about gender and friendship," is a good description. Gentle, slow-paced, and brief.

A little boy named Errol has a teddy bear named Thomas. They play every day. One day, Thomas isn't feeling good. They go to the park, but it doesn't cheer him up. Errol asks Thomas what's wrong. Thomas says, "If I tell you, you might not be my friend anymore." Errol says, "I will always be your friend,
Erik  Olson
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgtbq
A wonderful story of accepting friends for who they are. Unfortunatley the concept of what makes someone "feel like a girl" are typically rooted in sexist ideology that says you can't be male and interested in x, y, or z. Or you can't be female and think x, y, or z. I would like a message more that males and females exist on a spectrum of personality and interest rather than you personality and interest define what sex you "should" be. Good message about friendship and acceptance of others for ...more
Sisi
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the book, a boy and his teddy, named Thomas, play together all the time. They ride bikes together, eat sandwiches together, and plant in the garden together. They are best friends. One day, the teddy is feeling sad and doesn't want to play with any of the things they usually play with. The boy asks the teddy why and the teddy tells the boy that he wishes he is a girl and is named Tilly instead of Thomas. The boy accepts Tilly the teddy as a girl and introduces her as Tilly when they're ...more
Rebecca
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This book is so gorgeous. I got so caught up in the words, I had to stop and remind myself to admire to the lovely illustrations, which are really sweet and have lots of character. I read this as an ebook and though I'm not normally a fan of the format, I was completely enamoured and absorbed by the story. I read it in minutes, and not only was it completely worth the $8 I paid, but I can't wait to own a physical copy one day. It makes me really happy that this book exists: it's as important as ...more
Luna
Introducing Teddy arrived unexpectedly on my doorstep and I read it immediately.

The story in Introducing Teddy is straightforward enough. Errol and Teddy are best friends and when Teddy confesses that she really is a girl wishing to be called Tilly, Errol accepts her. So do their friends.

The illustrations are lovely, there isn’t much text to go which the pictures but it’s not needed. Given the age group this book is aimed at I think Introducing Teddy works well.
Elena
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GLBT Book Month Challenge, book 8/10.

I love it! When Thomas the teddy bear nervously reveals to friend Errol that she's actually a girl teddy and would prefer to be called Tilly, Errol calls up his friend Ava to come celebrate his teddy's new name and gender identity, and they then continue to do all the same fun things they did before Tilly's revelation. <3
Bethe
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winter break bookaday #19. Gentle story about a teddy bear being its true self. I did get confused as the word teddy is capitalized and presented as a name in the middle of the story. Message about remaining friends no matter what.
Juliana Lee
Errol's best friend is Thomas the teddy bear. Then one day Thomas reveals a secret. Thomas is not a boy teddy, Thomas is a girl teddy and wants to be called Tilly. Errol loves his teddy bear just the same and they are still best friends.
Jasmine
As it says on the cover, a gentle story about being a good friend, even if your friend wants to change their name.
Shira
Very simplistic, but a great way to start the conversation with the very young.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Boy & The Bindi
  • This Day in June
  • 10,000 Dresses
  • Sparkle Boy
  • How to Read a Story: (Illustrated Children's Book, Picture Book for Kids, Read Aloud Kindergarten Books)
  • Lovely