Start by marking “Defiance (The Reaper #1)” as Want to Read:

Defiance (The Reaper #1)

4.71  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
I. Am. Death.

His only job? To watch.

Watch the family Fate branded for death be butchered by a random drunk.

Cadeus Reaper was created by Grim for reaping souls. So why can’t he do the one thing he was made for?

Cadeus always knew he was different from other Reapers. Still – he struggled to fit in, to follow orders, and earn his way to the top spot of Demoral as he was inten
Published July 12th 2016 by Crushing Hearts Black Butterfly Publishing

Ashley Martinez
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow! I absolutely loved this book! It was nice to read something a little different then the norm. I loved the whole concept with reapers, Fate, Grim and the Angels and Demons. It was a definite page turner leaving me wanting more especially with the way this book ended!
The characters were refreshing and fun to read. Cade was an enjoyable character to read and connect with. I was definitely rooting for him the whole way through.
I can't wait for the next book and discover what happens!
I received
Sammi
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cadeus Reaper is my new hero!! From the first chapter this book blows you away. These characters jump off the page at you. Within the first 10 chapters , you seem to go through every emotion imaginable. I love it! The heartbreak that Cadeus felt was no doubt horrible, but with the unexpected help alliance with a new found friend gets you nblood pumping in their crazy adventure. Of course, of all places for them to go, they end up in my favorite, New Orleans, so you know there's bound to be magic ...more
Dusty Summerford (Reviews by Reds)
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Let me start by saying that I am not a huge paranormal book lover. There are only a few that I absolutely love and this is one!! I was blown away by the storyline and was hooked from the first page. The characters were either easily loved or easy to hate!!

Cadeus Reaper is a different breed of reaper. He actually has feelings when he shouldn't. He knows what his job is but he feels compelled to do it his way, which gets him reprimanded. The event
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap this sucked me in from the first page. This is the best paranormal book I have read in a very long time. Who knew Grim Reapers and Demon's and Angels and that bitch Fate (yes she really is a bitch) could be so utterly fascinating.

There is just no way I could write a review that would do this book justice. If your up for something really different that has great world building, a sexy man who is a Reaper with a heart and conscious, bad ass fights along plenty of humor then run to buy t
Shawna
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I received an ARC of this book in return for my honest review...

OMG! R.S. Broadhead has completely blown my mind! I am just in awe at this book. The story line is amazing. The concept has more potential then I can express. The characters are loveable. The overall quality and overall way it was thought out and executed is just too much. I am hooked and you will be too!

**Warning in true R.S. Broadhead fashion this book IS A CLIFF HANGER.. and one heck of one too!**

Defiance is the first book in the
Reviews from the Heart (Kimberly Anne)

This is a brand spanking new series by this author that I absolutely love! Cadeus is a Reaper and was created and tasked with the responsibility of assisting in the collection and distribution of souls. He’s always felt as if he didn’t belong in the world he was brought into and felt as if something was off about everything going on around him. One fatal day he’s on a routine assignment that has gone completely wrong and he changes everything when he takes fate into his own hands. Izzy was a li
Tracy Grieve
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The world has Fate and Grim both work together but the Grim has reapers who do the job he once done but now Cade a reaper feels wrong about the family about to be taken and he decides to put a stop to it, but his punishment is life in a cell and it's not going to be easy with one of the family being sent in to remind him of what happened to them. But he finds out one of the family members is alive and he must protect her. But being in a cell he has no way of getting out but with Grim gone and Fa ...more
EndlessReading
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loved
WOW!

Firsltly I would like to give a huge thanks to the lovely R.S. Broadhead for kindly providing me with a copy of "Defiance" to read and review.

This is my first time reading anything written by her BUT I without a doubt will be stalking her social media waiting for new books to be released......Another author to add to my top list and another one to stalk :)

From the very first chapter this book blows you away....and I mean literally.

The characters jump out at you, begging you to like them, Ryk
Lindy Lu Reviews
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What can I say I have really enjoyed reading R.S. Broadheads books. They are different, action packed and super fun reads. There is always that one character in her books that make you laugh out loud at their witty commentary.

I loved Cadeus, he was a really great character. He was supposed to be a heartless creature but he never fit the mold. When he was supposed to take life he wanted to give it. You could feel his inner turmoil. Of why he just couldn't be another mindless drone.

Boy I loved R
Ashley Dawn
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was excited about this book because I've enjoyed other books by Broadhead. It didn't disappoint. I really liked Cade. He is a strong (both mentally and physically) reaper. I completely disliked Fate from the beginning. She was just twisted and had a 'bad' feeling about her. Cade didn't follow the rules and was ready to accept the consequences, at least he thought so. He wasn't prepared for what Grim sentenced him to, nor what all that entailed.
I completely disliked all the Demorals and even m
Keri
I love a good Grim Reaper story. RS Broadhead definitely delivers. Defiance is an interesting tale about a Reaper with a heart and the little girl that wormed her way in without knowing it.

** FYI: This story does end in a cliffhanger. **

Cade is destined for greatness. All he knows is he is destined to be one of Death's many enforcers. Cade is different from other reapers. He feels and cares about others. He knows he's different but doesn't understand why.

Death is upon us and I am Death.

Izzy know
Cyndi Flores
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book I ever read by this amazing author!!!!
I must say it's not my typical type of book although I am a huge paranormal fan and that is my favorite genre of book, I'm not normally into Grim Reaper's, death, angels that kind of thing but after reading so many things about this book and hearing how wonderful it was I thought I would give it a shot!!!!
Boy am I glad I did it was so much different than what I thought it would be it is definitely a page-turner and you will be hooked
Maria
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Cade is different from other Reapers. He feels when he shouldn't and doesn't understand why he does and no one else. Trying to save a family that was destined to die lands him in prison and from there everything changes for him.

The story took a while to get into. The world created was a bit confusing but overall once you figured it out it was quite interesting.

Cade may not understand them but he has morals, ones that he will not turn away from even though he doesn't understand why he h
Kelly Erickson
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was very unusual with a reluctant 'hero’. He is well written and very likeable even considering he is death. The sidekick is fun and jokes around even when he's close to dying. I was a little disappointed in the female main character. She lacked depth and had confusing, illogical reactions to things. I couldn't get her at all.
There are so many places where there's a sub-plot starting and you think it's going to go somewhere but then you never hear about it again. And just when it look
Victoria B
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by R.S. Broadhead and was not disappointed. This book is like nothing I have read previously, I have have read a lot of paranormal books. This book is about a Reaper name Cade who knows he is not like the other reapers but does not understand why. When he completely blows his first assignment as a taker breaking the laws of the reapers in the process, he is thrown in prison for years. When an unexpected visit informs him that he did not completely fail at what ...more
Stephanie  Mae
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nothing excites me more than reading a good paranormal type book. I was leary about reading this because usually when you read about reapers or angels it's all the same time. This was not the case. It was new and different than what you would typically read. I love the characters. Ryker and Cade made me love this book. The two of them working together while having comical moments was what made this book for me. The twist at the end was insane. I never expected or predicted what was told about Ca ...more
Kimberly
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Received advanced copy in exchange for a review....

R.S. Broadhead has done it again! Put yourself in the story and you can feel what R.S. Broadhead is telling you and the other audience.In Defiance, you'll meet Cade, Izzy, Ryker, and Grim.

Cade isn't like the other reapers in the story. In the beginning, Cade is ordered in a situation where he refuses to do what he is told. After so many years in a prison, he finds out some very important information, manages to escape, in order to find Izzy (a l
Lindsay
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Let me start by saying, reading is not my favorite hobby. If a book doesn't capture my attention within the first chapter, I put it down and won't pick it back up. R.S. Broadhead sucked me into this book within the first few pages. I could NOT put it down. I have an emotional connection with every character is this book - Cade being my favorite of course. My only complaint is that the end is a COMPLETE CLIFFHANGER and it is killing me to know what happens next! The second book cannot come soon e ...more
Julie Rainforth
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was gifted a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review...
Wow, not at all what I expected or am used to. I thouroughly enjoyed it. No spoilers here though!

A reaper is something/someone to fear, correct? Not all of them and not in this book. Cade is different. He goes against the system and gets punished for being different. While he is out of circulation, the world around him changes and not for the better. He is then tasked with putting it right. Will he succeed?
This is a real page
Chianti Summers
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Received a copy. Definitely a different read for me. I enjoyed the book. The characters are strong and well developed. The story line unfolds smoothly but fair warning this is a cliffhanger. I don't want to say too much because I am not wanting to give a spoiler. My best recommendation is to read Defiance and we will all be waiting to see what happens next. It will certainly be interesting to see what happens.
Caren Davis
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fair warning, I am a huge R.S. Broadhead fan and you will be too after reading Defiance!!! It is a fast paced, grab your attention paranormal. I love her take on reapers. Cadeus Reaper is definitely not your normal hero but I fell in love with him right away.

I hate to give spoilers so all I can say is READ this BOOK!!! If you are a paranormal or urban fantasy fan you will love R.S. Broadhead’s Realms of Darkness Series.

I received a copy from the author for my honest review.
Missy Noecker
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this story! It was an interesting take on the Grim Reaper and Fate. It may feel like it starts out a little slow for some people but it doesn't take long to pick up and draw you in. I loved Cade, Ryker and Izzy's characters along with Shiloh, her family and Justice. It was a fun journey til the end and I can't wait til the next book comes out to see where their journey takes them!
R.S.
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is probably my favorite book I've done so far. I love Cade! Total babe!
Audrey Tolbert
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books ive ever read. Cant wait for the second book. Its truly awesome it will not disappoint.
Kayla Myers
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! finished in one day!
Christian ortiz
Jul 08, 2016
Jayne Wheatley
Jul 14, 2016
Helen Wormington
Aug 02, 2017
Kristen Gough
Jul 10, 2016
R. S. Broadhead lives in Jackson, Alabama with her husband of ten years, their two little girls, and a pug named Wednesday Love the Duchess, or Winnie for short. She has a bachelor's in psychology and a master's in business administration. She loves to snowboard, travel (Australia is her favorite place so far), and dance (not professionally, just whenever she feels like it). When she was sixteen-y ...more
More about R.S. Broadhead...