Start by marking “Dance with the Devil (Dance with the Devil, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dance with the Devil (Dance with the Devil, #1)

Dance with the Devil

(Dance with the Devil #1)

Even in a world of secrets and misfits, Chris stands apart, an unusual product of black magic that left him born half-ghost. Long used to being bullied and maligned for his strangeness, he spends his days helping the paranormals that everyone else forgets about.

But the people he hunts and the mysteries he solves take him along unusual paths, many of them dangerous. Chris h
ebook, 3rd Edition, 204 pages
Published September 2016 by Less Than Three Press (first published January 27th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dance with the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dance with the Devil

Julio Genao
Jul 02, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julio by: ttg
Dislike.

The structure robbed the romance of tension, but even more eyeball-hostile to me was the writing.

It was dull, and repetitious, with many errors, and cliches, and unfunny puns, and long chunks of infodumpy background on the very large array of paranormals.

In other words: I can see the overall appeal, but the macro problems with plot, style, and tone were compounded by painful lapses in micro, sentence-level execution.

Not much fun for someone like me, then.
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
I liked grouchy Chris and amusing Sable, and the concept of the basic story was intriguing. Derr was imaginative with the short stories, but it wasn't what I was expecting, and I wasn't a fan of the stories told out of order. I get some of the reasoning but it hurt the enjoyment some.

There were also a few holes that bugged me. Semi-spoilish, but if consorts are so important and they know 'right away when they first set eyes on a person', why did Sable (view spoiler)
Ami

Megan Derr is one of those prolific authors that everyone else read (and love) -- which is part of the reasons I'm a bit weary to try hers. I have a tendency to not be part of the in-crowd *grin*. BUT ... I'm glad that I give this series a try. Must personally thank my friends, Cleon and Lada, for the push towards her stories.

I know that I will not read all in this series (since one of the titles is said to have a polyamori relationship *shudders*), however, this one is REALLY good. Chr
Emma Sea
Nov 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm, weird. I did not enjoy that book, and yet I think I'd like to read the next one. It was like a spoonful of an unfamiliar food, which you want to repeat before you're completely sure you don't care for it.

I didn't like the structure of the book, with alternating chapters in the present and the past. This wasn't because it was confusing, but rather because I then knew from the beginning how the MC's ship would pan out i.e. not even a hint of sexual tension. I didn't like the 'mysteries', whi
Kristen Burns
3.5 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book from the publisher. This has not influenced my review.*

This was a light, easy-to-read urban fantasy, just as the other books in this series have been (I started with Books 5 and 6), and I do mean that as a compliment. The writing was clear. The plot was uncomplicated. The characters were easy to like. It was just what I was looking for, something that would be enjoyable and that I'd be able to get immersed in despite my difficulty concentrating a
Ilhem
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, prn
I'm pretty sure that Megan Derr sprinkles her books with "perlimpinpin" powder. It took me some time to get into the story,I wasn't thrilled by the romance(s), didn't particularly fall in love with the characters and the cases were not captivating but when I closed the book, my overall feeling was that I liked it. "Perlimpinpin" powder, I tell you!
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
This was fantastic, I liked everything.

First of all, the structure. The story is told in episodes, following the cases of Chris' paranormal detective agency. The cases are not presented in chronological order, so we meet the characters at different stages of their lives, knowing less or more about them case after case. Sometimes it puzzles us, sometimes it makes us more curious, but we keep wanting more.

Second, the characters. Chris is the protagonist. He is half ghost, his dad is a ghost tied t
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧°**★°**★
Reads a little weird, not at all in chronoLOGICAL order...but, oh by golly' it's frustratedly good! Okay, this is what I felt like when I started reading~
Frustrating, Yet Fun!

WHAT WAS FRUSTRATING & WHAT WAS FUN

Frustrating~The book was told via cases , and was not in chronological order.

Fun~ Chris and Sabin personalities , gosh, I love those storm eyes!

Fun~ cases were different and very interesting.

Fun~ The side character's Doug, Rita and the Red Fairy/Pixie pure sweetness and lots of
M
In a genre literally saturated with Gay Paranormal Investigators, this book stands a head and shoulders above most of the other, similar stuff I'v read. It's funny and compelling, and the cast of characters is seriously great. Told in a series of brief vignettes which are not in chronological order, the non-linearity is pretty cool and lends a kind of freshness to the story. The touchy-feely romance is a bit overdone, so minus a half-star for that, but it's not so overwhelming that I enjoyed the ...more
Christina
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

3.5 Stars

So fun! We follow Chris White, a paranormal investigator through his world of demons, ghosts, witches, vampires, goblins, and many more "abnormals". The structure of the book was unique in that it's written as a collection of cases in which each one is presented in non-chronological order. I thought this would dampen the characterization and the relationships but I still felt the tension and the build-up. It created more questions that had me excited to find the answers to. We have no i
DaisyGirl
4.0 Stars

This was an engrossing novel set in a world of demons, ghosts, imps, goblins, witches, werewolves, and vampires. Chris White is a paranormal detective who fearlessly investigates this supernatural world. A product of the Woods – the poorer district of the city – he and his partner, Doug, are dedicated to helping the underprivileged.

This story is not laid out in chronological order but rather pieced together through a sampling of the cases Chris and Doug have solved. First off, Megan De
Jilrene ♥
A fun read! This is a series of shorts told as detective cases. Really cute.
Alisa
Chris is a paranormal detective. His mother is a black magic witch and his dad is a ghost which gives him unique talents. His side kick is an Imp named Doug. Together they work on cases for the paranormal community that they live it. Chris is also the consort of a demon lord.

I wasn't sure about this for about the first 30% due to how the story is told. It's done in a series of case file clips. Each chapter is a case that they have previously worked. They are not presented to us in chronological
ttg
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fun paranormal mystery about Detective Chris White and the many cases that take him across the city to help other “abnormals” in need, including werewolves, vampires, goblins, and even a lusty demon lord (who becomes very invested in Chris.)

The book is broken up into nine “cases” that stretch over several years. The cases are told out-of-order though, which may sound confusing, but was actually a lot of fun, as you start “at the present” and then shoot back to the past to earlier cases, lik
Julesmarie
FIRST RE-READ 16 September 2016
Because a new book in the series was just released, I figured I'd take advantage of the encouragement and re-read the whole series.

And this was lovely to return to. I still just completely adore all of the characters, and love how fleshed-out even the secondary characters are.

I also still thoroughly enjoyed the format. Each case helped develop the story and made it feel fast-paced and exciting, while giving opportunity to introduce us to each character without any
xxkitsunexx
ok read would have been better if we learned how the 2 main characters got together in the first place
but there already together from beginning so 3* from me :-)
Bookwatcher
Not just a detective story...

but a supernatural detective story! Yes, you WILL love it if you want a book with suspense and cases to be solved, and also adore supernatural creatures, such as vampires, werewolves, ghosts, imps, goblins, demons etc!

The cases
First I WILL not spoil ANYTHING. You must read, and slowing (as a detective) get the clues and know more about the narrators. The book will start and end with Chris as narrator, but it will have also Doug and Phil's POVs. Who are they? CAN'T te
Eden Winters
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have a new favorite couple: Chris White and Sable Brennus. It's amazing how these two play off each other, each having a personality you'd likely want to attribute to the other. They are so perfect together.

Demon lord Sable is so calm, easygoing, and spoils Chris rotten, totally smitten from their first meeting, from the first time he called Chris "Beautiful". Despite his rags to riches story line, Chris remains...well...Chris, cynical, snarky, and willing to tell the city's most powerful man
L-D
5 star must read!

This is one of my favorite books that I have read in awhile. There are so many great things about this book - where to start? Let's start with the format. I was a bit confused at first because this book contains various Case Files from Christian White's Paranormal Detective Agency. That wasn't the confusing part - In fact I thought it was quite clever - the confusing part is that the cases are not chronological. When I was reading the first case file I actually stopped reading a
~Melissa~
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this book is told in case files which are like short snippets of the MC's lives as well as the mysteries that the Detectives Chris and Doug solved. You also see how they met along with how they met their partners. This is not told in chronological order which made it a little harder to put things in order while reading but you have a good foundation by the end of the book. I will be continuing this series as I want to see what happens with side character Phil as well as continuing to see Chri ...more
Monika
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: g-vampire

Review posted on World of Diversity Fiction

What a great novel vampires, demons, imps, ghosts, and witches almost every type of paranormal being is here. This story was different and fun. The different is in the way the story is structured, every chapter is a case on its own and not always in chronological order but somehow Megan Derr made this story flow. It took a couple of chapters to get into the groove but once I was comfortable with it this was a great read.

Chris owns and runs a paranormal
Deeze
Again Megan Derr just drew me in and kept me captivated till the end.

Chris and Sable are firm favorites of mine. The banter that takes place in Chris' head was delightful, but the possessive demon side to Sable had me melting.

Doug made these tales complete. Learning how he and Chris met broke my heart and watching him and Zach made it whole again, although not without a little upset first.

The little mystery’s worked well for me, but the main focus for me was the characters and the emotional ride
❀~Amy~❀
Surprisingly enough I actually enjoyed this one. I usually dislike nonlinear storytelling, but it worked for this story. Each case was connected in some way so it was fun to follow, even with the time jumps.

I really, really liked Chris and Sable. They had great chemistry. Chris was snarky and moody and made me laugh. Sable was so totally devoted to Chris, right from the very start. I would love to read more about these two. Doug was great, but I didn't feel a great connection to him and Zach. I
Diane
If you are in the mood for fun and sexy m/m urban fantasy tales, you'll like this book. The story is cleverly told though case files from a paranormal detective agency, but the files are not displayed chronologically, so the character development is built like a web instead of a linear arc. I love that! And the writing is really sharp and funny (view spoiler) ...more
Irina
Audible

I keep promising myself to start ignoring a high average rating but quite often I still get fooled like a newbie.

This book has it all:

- Insta-love/lust
- Very short, easily resolved 'mysteries'
- Lack of tension
- Present-to-past jumping structure that is not only confusing but also robbing a reader of any anticipation or intrigue.
- Too paranormal for my personal taste.

The only reason I haven't abandoned it early was the perfect narrating by Paul Morey.

***1.5 stars***
Anyta Sunday
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

I have thoughts. I loved the fantasy of this, and there was something that easily pulled me through the story, all in all, I was charmed. And yet . . . it felt like it was two stories?

Also, as others have noted, the tension would have been much higher without the back and forth. Still . . . yeah, I read the whole thing. That when I've been picky as hell lately.

Lucy
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiodick
The narrator of this book has the best Sable Brennis voice ever! I am not sure how much I'd have enjoyed the book reading it, but I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it. Sable's use of "beautiful" in regards to Chris happens a lot and I loved how much it drove Chris crazy.

The back and forth between past and present worked for me, as I listened to this book in spurts.
A Million More Pages: 1 - Dance with the Devil (Dance with the Devil): Apr 28 22 28 May 27, 2015 04:28PM
  • GhosTV (PsyCop, #6)
  • Inheritance (Dominion #1)
  • Hunter of Demons (SPECTR, #1)
  • A Shadow of a Dream
  • Prey (Infected, #1)
  • Irregulars
  • Hell Cop
  • That Famous Happy End
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords #2)
  • Different Senses
  • Some Kind of Magic (Beings In Love #1)
  • Immortality is the Suck (Adam & Peter, #1)
  • Paul's Dream (Touching Fire, #1)
  • Boots
  • Truth in the Dark
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com
maderr.tumblr.com
maderr.livejournal.com

Dance with the Devil (7 books)
  • Dance in the Dark (Dance with the Devil, #2)
  • Midnight (Dance with the Devil, #3)
  • Dance Only for Me (Dance with the Devil, #4)
  • Sword of the King (Dance with the Devil, #5)
  • Shield of the Dragon (Dance with the Devil, #6)
  • Twilight (Dance with the Devil, #7)
“No tricks, Christian. I don't play that way when I play for keeps."

"No one ever said we were playing for keeps."

"We? I hadn't realized you'd agreed to play at all, beautiful." Triumph gleamed in Sable's eyes.”
8 likes