Start by marking “Kidnap: The Shocking Story of the Lindbergh Case” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Kidnap: The Shocking ...

George Waller

Kidnap: The Shocking Story of the Lindbergh Case

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  49 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Thorough, well illustrated account of the most famous kidnap of the 20th Century.
List of Illustrations
The Crime
The Capture
The Trial
The Appeal
Postscript
Acknowledgments
Published 1962 by Pocket Books (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Kidnap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kidnap

Kate
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Very interesting, but about 200 pages too long.
Dawn Huffines medley
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was very good. The beginning of the book went very fast but then the middle of the book where they were looking for the kidnapper. Plus the trail I'm think it could've been a little less information. I can see the impotence of saying who the people were but it was like to much. Then the end of the book once he's found guilty and about the appeal went fast to it was not as detailed. After reading this book I'm thinking its a possibility that this case has never been solved. There was pe ...more
Sarah Hess
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This book was a fascinating read, and I learned so much throughout that I can still recall today (I finished it last year). George Waller captured all the characters' voices and emotions with invesigative accuracy. I loved the writing style as well: it was straightforward, but still appealed to readers' pathos. It was definitely a dense subject that covered many aspects of 1930s society: the rise of the paparazzi, the obsession with the affluent, the xenophobia towards immigrants, and the r ...more
Cindylou
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent history of the Lindbergh kidnapping. For those who think Hauptmann did NOT do it,remember that despite constantly protesting his innocence, acting as if he were pure as the driven snow, how did thousands in ransom money get in his garage? And he was identified as "passing" bills in the classic manner, by making petty purchases and paying with large bills to get "clean" money. And making many deposits in his bank account with small bills and large quantities of coins, the fruit of his " ...more
Athena
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Erik Graff
Dec 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lindbergh fans
Recommended to Erik by: Lajla Stousland
Shelves: history
This is one of many books owned by my paternal grandmother which I read for want of other entertainments while spending the summer with her, Mother and little brother Fin Einar at her cottage near the lake in southwest Michigan. What was most memorable about the book was that the man convicted and executed for the kidnapping, Bruno Richard Hauptman (1899-1936), may not have been guilty. This may have had considerable influence on my early opposition to the death penalty.
Alan Buick
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book a long time ago; over 50 years ago! Although it may make heavy reading for some it did have a lasting impact on me. Certain aspects of that terrible deed are still quite clear in my memory. eg. this was the first case in history that Forensic Science was the key to convicting a murderer. Great book!
Mark
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I was a kid, I'd seen this book on my father's shelf. Finally got around to grabbing it. Very good book and an unbelieveable difference in the way crimes are investigated now versus 1932. Amazing story. Probably executed the wrong man....
Ned Ryerson
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Another Lindbergh book. This one got passed around a group of friends. We all signed the inside cover to commemorate the event. This book is totally old school. It thinks that Hauptmann did it. Ahhh, the innocence of the past...so naive.
Dee Hanner
May 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood
I read this book when I was maybe 11, my parents believed I should be able to read any book I wanted. I think this book started my crime spree readings... I look true crime books - not to do it myself, but for some reason it is almost better to read real crime than any made up one.
John Marr
Apr 01, 2009 rated it liked it
The decent, standard treatment of the "Crime of the Century," since supercede by Fisher's even more extensive book.
Jaye
I read this book when I was in fifth grade. It captivated and horrified me.

I wonder what it would be like to read now, as an adult.
Piper
Aug 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Well written. It kept me mostly interested although there were parts I found tedious. Overall a good book.
John