Start by marking “One Day My Soul Just Opened Up: 40 Days and 40 Nights Toward Spiritual Strength and Personal Growth” as Want to Read:

The Barnes & Noble Review

Iyanla Vanzant's wildly popular workshops, lectures, and books are all focused on one thing: getting your life together. The author of such highly successful works as Acts of Faith, In the Meantime and Yesterday, I Cried, Vanzant has touched the lives of men and women all over the world. Part of Vanzant's appeal is that she always speaks from perso
Published January 5th 1998 by Atria Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about One Day My Soul Just Opened Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Day My Soul Just Opened Up

Start your review of One Day My Soul Just Opened Up: 40 Days and 40 Nights Toward Spiritual Strength and Personal Growth
Jackie Law
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it

In Nov 1998 and through to March 9, 1999 – I read and worked with a book by Iyanla Vanzant, called:
One Day my Soul Just Opened Up. It was recommended to me by a dear friend, MaryAnn Kluga, and it was SO helpful. Here is a piece of the poem she read to me over the phone that convinced me to go find it, buy it, and do it. "You are now put on notice that... YOUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED!"

"One day, my soul just opened up
and out poured all the things
I'd been hiding
and denying
and living through
that had just
Marilyn Diamond
Oct 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book got me through a rough divorce.
Shalonda Williams-McClendon
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those seeking their personal, spiritual TRUTH
Everyday is a new experience with mind renewal. Thinking that we know ourselves and actually knowing ourselves are two different things. I believe that reading this book brings that reality into focus.
Elynur Gambet
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
got a copy of this when i turned 18.. a gift from a childhood friend.. truly an inspiring book that opened my soul to possibilities of LIFE and to grow in spirit with HIM..
Krystal
I'm sorry to say this was not what I expected. I thought it would be an inspiring read about the author's spiritual transformation, but instead it was part anecdotes, part workbook. The themes were pretty standard in terms of spirituality books, but they're accompanied by stories of the author's own enlightenment born from her own experiences.

I tried to fill in the journal parts at first, but in the end it was too slow a process. I'd like to go back and give it a go some time, but at this stage
Gregg Bell
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
One Day My Soul Just Opened Up: 40 Days and 40 Nights Toward Spiritual Strength and Personal Growth is mostly filler. Like the author had a book due her publisher and had to pump it out for deadline.

It's full of worksheets and questions and affirmations like:

I am so GRATEFUL! I am so GRATEFUL! I am so GRATEFUL!

(Well, that'll change your life right there.)

But anyway, although the negatives are strong, there are some absolute gems in this book.

Are you working hard and feeling like you're not get
Suzie
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
This one is also a yummy read. Allows one to keep focused on changing old/outdated/toxic patterns and forging ahead toward the life you want to lead. Excellent read.
ABAgail
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book explores several self-healing concepts over 40 days. It nurtures you by providing morning and evening exercises and important concepts to carry with you and explore throughout the day.

It's all about self-love, nurturing oneself, recognizing and healing old wounds, all in the name of honoring the divine within.

I highly recommend this book and look forward to reading and learning more from this renowned spiritual healer.
Jo
Aug 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
THE guide to being a decent human being co- exisiting in a society of other people (not my strength). skills that I find amazingly difficult to do on a daily basis. This book also comes on CD/tape. And that is particularly helpful when trying to really "get it". The author does a great job of breaking down the difficult areas and providing examples of when she had issues, and how to connect spiritually to find the strength to re think how you can be in the world. A book that you can come back to ...more
Kat
I struggle to do this book daily because I have a hard time trying to do something in the morning and at night. I do find that I agree with what it says a lot, I just tend to do most of my daily meditations once a day and not twice a day. It also makes you think a lot because of all the questions it asks.
Pg
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book. It's a must for anyone who has questions that can only be answered by looking within. I give this book to anyone who is having any kind of emotional, spiritual, personal, and financial problems.

It makes a great gift, anytime of the year.
LaQuarn Michaels
AWESOME!
Amanda
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this was a really good book and I am sure I will be referencing back to many of the chapters again and again.
Ka’leneReads
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
GoodRead....Really good as a listen But a physical copy of this book is recommended
Lydia
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy, self-help
I have had this book for quite some time and this was final (third) attempt at reading it, so I am glad that I finished. I am not a big fan of self-help books even though I might benefit from the advice. My problem with Ms. Vanzant's book was I thought that she was talking at me, not to me. Her strategy for self-help with her assignments of what can be taken from her commentaries, I found not pleasurable for a book that I was reading for enlightenment. This is not to say that I did not get anyth ...more
Judi
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is my second or third time through this book. It is uplifting, but in a very down-to-earth way. Iyanla has been married and divorced, remarried, has adult children, practiced law and then chose not to, became a writer and even a minister.

The book is divided into two-or-three page chapters, with space for written reflection. You can read one section per day, or choose your own pace. She summarizes the main concepts at the end, and says she could have written the entire book in five pages. (
Lareynolds
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal read for anyone in the process of soul work! This book is for anyone who enjoys maintaining a positive outlook on life and knows that gratitude and day-to-day joy can only come from healing old wounds from the past (that we may not even realize are there). I thoroughly enjoyed this book and, quite frankly, I finished it way before the 40 days. Iyanla Vanzant demonstrates how very important it is to take a very close and REAL look at who we are, why we are the way we are, and how to fe ...more
MizzSandie
So, for some reason I had gotten the impression that this book was something completely different than it was. Must have gotten it mixed up with some other author.
And that's not the book's fault of course, but the first pangs of disappointment stemmed from that.
And then, it just didn't bring me any new insight or clarity or intrigue. I felt like this was something I read a long time ago, but that I've sort of passed that point by now. Like this was somewhat Basic stuff, which is important too, b
Christine
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've been a fan of Iyanla's since the The Oprah Winfrey Show was in full swing. I've referred to this book during several times of transition over the course of my life and each time, I learn something new about myself. The book has great passages on a variety of topics (Faith, Balance, Discipline, etc.)as well as exercises for reflection. It's inspiring to chart one's progress without it feeling like "work." Would love to read something new of hers.
Adriana
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Adriana by: adriannaa@gmail.com
A friend of mine gave this book to me. I had it on my shelf for some time. Then one evening, not knowing what to read, my eyes stopped at the brighness of the cover and I realized I needed some light in my life. I had unfortunately, been experiencing some turmoil in my life. I did not expect to enjoy, learn, or get as much out of it as I did. But I was greatly greatful for it's accompaniment and lectures during this tough time. It is a powerful book.
Carla
Aug 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book. If you are feeling a bit stale or a little spiritually deprived, it can stir up some beautiful emotions. I read this when I had just graduated college and was looking for something deeper. This book truly opened me up and I still look back and some of the passages I read and highlighted.
Alice
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
I think that I benefited by just learning to reflect on situations and meditate about how I am in control of the good & challenging things that happen to me. In fact ‘things’ don’t happen ‘to’ me but rather, I am part of events that happen! This is all said in hindsight as I'm writing this review years after I read part of this book, & admit I did not finish the book. ...more
Elise
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First book of hers I had read and fell in love with her style and honesty. Oh yes, you need to be brutally honest with yourself if you hope to get anything out of this book. You also need to allow yourself to stop, look, and wake up, which I desperately needed to do at the time I discovered this book. Thanks Iyanla...
Hanaan
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is literally a treasure , from page 1 u'll find urself indulging in it And it will talk about u at some phase of your life not only , but also it gives u the steps how to move on from it.
i so much recommend it to anyone who is willing to change for better or whatever kind you are it 'll suit u perfectly(Y)
Dawn
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received this book to read from my sister and I did go through it! While I have some respect for her due to her experiences and suggestions I found this book a bit cumbersome. It almost seemed that there was a page requirement for her publisher. I am also a different spiritual seeker, so I found this book a bit off the mark for me.
Orishaz
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I can never say I've finished reading it because through the course of time I find myself picking it up again and re-reading certain passages. Learning something different that I didn't relate to the first time I read it.
Jabulile Khumalo
Dec 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Ooohhh... After I finished reading this book my Soul Had opened up on another level. I just love the care and the simplicity in which she wrote this book. Really made me feel like she knew what I needed to hear when I needed to hear it. I Loved it!
Kim Morelli
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Well, it took more than 40 days, but it was such a good one that I wanted to chew it up and digest it slowly. Really some thought-provoking stuff that made you understand and believe that you are doing the right thing / at the right time in your life... no matter what! Have faith and believe!
Cass
Dec 05, 2015 added it
This book has really helped me in a difficult time. I took more than 40 days to do this book. I took my time to really read and write my feelings. I will be starting it back again in the next month. And then compare both of my journal entries to see if I wrote the same or not.
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book truly changed my life! I didn't think it would but it forced me to ask myself some pretty tough questions which lead to some life-altering decisions. She warns you at the beginning and Iyanla isn't joking. Great book!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Seat of the Soul
  • Hands of Light: A Guide to Healing Through the Human Energy Field
  • A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles"
  • Soul Stories
  • Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: The Quantum Alternative to Growing Old
  • Inspiration: Your Ultimate Calling
  • Simple Abundance:  A Daybook of Comfort and Joy
  • Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self
  • Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing
  • There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem
  • The Power of Intention: Learning to Co-create Your World Your Way
  • Why People Don't Heal and How They Can: A Practical Programme for Healing Body, Mind and Spirit
  • Care of the Soul: A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in Everyday Life
  • The Celestine Vision: Living the New Spiritual Awareness
  • What the Bleep Do We Know!?: Discovering the Endless Possibilities for Altering Your Everyday Reality
  • Sacred Contracts: Awakening Your Divine Potential
  • Anatomy of the Spirit: The Seven Stages of Power and Healing
  • Animal Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great and Small
In Peace From Broken Pieces New York Times best-selling author Iyanla Vanzant she recounts the last decade of her life and the spiritual lessons learnedfrom the price of success during her meteoric rise as a TV celebrity on Oprah, the Iyanla TV show (produced by Barbara Walters), to the dissolution of her marriage and her daughters 15 months of illness and death on Christmas day. Like a phoenix ri ...more