Start by marking “Japanese Cooking - Contemporary & Traditional: Simple, Delicious, and Vegan” as Want to Read:
Japanese Cooking - Contemporary & Traditional: Simple, Delicious, and Vegan

Japanese Cooking - Contemporary & Traditional: Simple, Delicious, and Vegan

Japanese and vegetarian food expert Miyoko Nishimoto Schinner presents traditional dishes and regional specialties from Kyusju in the south to Hokkaido in the north. She draws from a long tradition of vegetarian cooking in Buddhist temples, as well as an abundance of vegetable- and legume-based dishes that can be found in traditional Japanese cuisine. For those dishes that ...more
Published January 1st 1999 by Book Publishing Company (TN)

To ask other readers questions about Japanese Cooking - Contemporary & Traditional, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Japanese Cooking - Contemporary & Traditional

Sophie
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a spur of the moment purchase, and I didn't really know what to expect, but now that I have it and tried a few recipes let me say that I am absolutely in love with this one.

I wanted to try and cook something new - usually, my cooking is mostly influenced by various European/Western cuisines and Indian cooking. I admit that I was very clueless about Japanese cooking, so I was grateful for the introduction and glossary (and I owe a huge debt of gratitude to the nice owner of the Asian st
Stephanie
Oct 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I adore Japanese food. Alas, it's nearly impossible to eat vegetarian, let alone vegan in Japanese restaurants because they have to spice everything up with fish flakes.

This book is amazing- though not always traditional Japanese, all recipes are simple and turn out lovely.
Still, there are many authentic dishes and the information about vegetarianism in Japan and ingredient guide alone are worth the whole book's price.
Katey
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
While I learned a few things from this book, and I would totally love to eat these dishes if someone else prepared them, Japanese cooking doesn't quite appeal to me, or at least my cooking philosophy: unfussy, quick to prepare, nutritious (balance of protein, veggies, good carbs, etc), and the least number of separate steps and/or pots and pans, the better.
Wilda
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this on an overseas flight and, my goodness, it made me hungry! I have since tried some of the recipes with nice results. The book is not only inspiring but easy to follow. The glossary of terms was very helpful too.
Chelidona
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Before I got this book, the only Japanese food I had ever tried was sushi (I knew about Miso soup but was sceptical) .... I am a vegan and before that, I didn't like fish, so let's say that Japanese food in restaurants etc. was never really for me.
It turns out that veganized Japanese food is absolutely delicious.

It should go without saying that to make most of the dishes, you should live in an area where supermarkets stock Japanese staples (such as Mirin and Sake) or which has Japanese shops (ar
Evelyn Blackwell
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved how clearly the author covered the history and social context of the foods she discussed, it added a whole extra layer that many recipe books lack. The book was well organised, and the straightforward glossary at the beginning was really helpful. I've tried a few recipes so far (and enjoyed all of them), and I plan to try more. I'd be giving five stars if there were more pictures, and perhaps if the book was longer.
There were a few minor printing errors in my edition, which just led to o
Meghan
Nov 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
I bought this book while I was living in Japan to learn how to make authentic Japanese dishes without animal products and it continues to help me immensely toward that end. I have been satisfied with every recipe I have tried from this book. However, the fact seems to remain that, in order for certain dishes to taste truly authentic, they just have to have fish flakes in them.
Cierán Jimmy
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shojin-ryori
a really nice book with a fokus on fresh veggies served in a delightful and nice looking way.
As always with japanese food its good for the eyes looking aswell as the tastebuds.

For anyone that liked Mari Fujii's "The Enlightened Kitchen" This one is a nice addition, or replacement if you havent managed to get your hands on the former.
Renée
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Needs more fresh recipes. I don't mind the reliance on tofu. Authentic book. Japanese family impressed.
Danielle Andrews
Feb 02, 2017
Natalya Rolle
Dec 28, 2017
Dejan Glavonjic
rated it did not like it
Jul 23, 2017
Jan 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Big Vegan
  • Triumph of the Lentil: Soy-Free Vegan Wholefoods for All Appetites
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors
  • The Sexy Vegan Cookbook: Extraordinary Food from an Ordinary Dude
  • Party Vegan: Fabulous, Fun Food for Every Occasion
  • Kansha: Celebrating Japan's Vegan and Vegetarian Traditions
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Pure Vegan: 70 Recipes for Beautiful Meals and Clean Living
  • Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day: Revolutionary New Takes On Everyone's Favorite On-the-Go Meal
  • Caribbean Vegan: Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Authentic Island Cuisine for Every Occasion
  • Hot Damn and Hell Yeah! Recipes for Hungry Banditos and the Dirty South Vegan Cookbook
  • Alternative Vegan: International Vegan Fare Straight from the Produce Aisle