Start by marking “Why?: Trusting God When You Don't Understand” as Want to Read:
Why?: Trusting God When You Don't Understand

Why?: Trusting God When You Don't Understand

Called "the best preacher in the family" by her father, Billy Graham, Anne Graham Lotz speaks around the globe with the wisdom and authority of years spent studying God's Word. In her latest book, Anne shares her heart and God's teachings on the universal problem of suffering.

Drawing her characteristically keen insights from the familiar story of Lazarus in the ninth and e
Audio, 0 pages
Published March 29th 2004 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Why?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why?

Start your review of Why?: Trusting God When You Don't Understand
Tracy Darity
Oct 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Because while belief is the consent of the mind and faith is a choice of the will, trust is a commitment of the heart." Pg 118.

A close friend purchased this book for me as a gift after the passing of my father a few weeks ago. It was really odd because this person and I had been best friends through high school and our mid 20's but slowly grew apart. About two months ago her husband stopped by out of the blue, to say hi, and the following day "my birthday" she called to wish me a happy birthday
Donna Broadbooks
Jan 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those finding themselves asking why?
This is a book that you hang onto and read again and again. During times of challenges, doubts and struggles it points you back to God, his soverignity and promises.
Jeff Richey
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The foreword, written by a friend of the author, caught my attention. I was disappointed when the content of the book turned out to be a symbolic breakdown of the story of Lazarus, one of my least favorite Biblical stories.

However, Graham Lotz’s analysis was interesting, if not provocative. The symbols explained toward the end resonated with me: the stone of Lazarus’s vault and then his wrappings.

The book delves into “Why,” in regards to God’s will and purpose. Throughout, the author uncomforta
Alana
This was a short little book I picked up from the library because I thought it might be a little refresher both from some of the darker reading I've been doing lately (not intentionally, just because that's what's come up in various groups) and the darker things going on in my life. If you've been a Christian long enough, there's nothing particularly new or astounding in this book; in fact, it's rather simple. Sometimes, though, it's the simple things that take the most reminding to get them thr ...more
Bonnie
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far it is a great book for those struggling with Why me? Or other Why struggles? Short, easy to read and helpful which a person needs when they are under stress, looking for answers, looking for encouragement.... Now completed the book! I found it really went deep into the topic of Why? It was rich and I really had to think to get all the meat that was here in this book. A must read again!
Mom2thomasjoel
May 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
such an incredible book for LIFE! it's wonderful...and really a tool and a method to look to Christ for answers and understanding.
Kymberly
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, testimony
Love this book! Greatest short read on trusting God through life's storms and hardships! I will be passing this one forward! Must read & a must have! ...more
Cynthia Egbert
Although the author and I do not see eye to eye on everything, she opened my eyes and made me think about a scripture story in a new light and I appreciate that so much! I am glad that I found this little volume in a thrift shop because I have enjoyed taking the story of Mary, Martha, and Lazarus to a different level.

Some thoughts to remember:

"The burden of suffering seems a tombstone hung about our necks, while in reality it is only the weight which is necessary to keep down the diver while he
Ron Sharp Jr.
Excellent book for people of faith, with comforting perspectives on pain, loss, and disappointment, centered around the death and resurrection of Lazarus. However, for skeptics outside the Christian fold, those perspectives may be too faith-dependent to be of much use. This is not a philosophical nor an apologetic book on the problem of God and suffering, but an insightful book for its intended audience. Though a bit harsh at times on readers questioning the goodness of God, its overall tone is ...more
Jane Ridgewood
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mom recently passed away unexpectedly. I had heard a lot of praise for this book and picked up a copy, not because I was angry at God, but because I had my questions.

I will admit this wasn’t the sort of “ground breaker” I had hoped it to be, but I still found a lot of value in it as a Christian. It was the nice solid reminders and insight that kept me reading and have left me feeling a little more assured despite the grieving.

I would recommend this book for other Christians who are perhaps s
Carol Owens
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed

Thought provoking. I got alot out of these pages. As I am trying to get through grief with loss of my don. Things don't always make sense. But if we take off the grave clothes we may see Gods great plan for us.
Gloria Graham
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent insight into trusting God when we don’t understand.

Anne has effectively opened the Word and given spiritual eyesight and understanding to our oft-asked “whys.” Her unique style underlines God’s eternal Truth in human terms for our growth in perfect trust.
LAMONT D
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
VERY GOOD BOOK TO GIVE AS A GIFT. SIMPLE AND STRAIGHTFORWARD AS SHE TAKES THE STORY OF LAZARUS FROM THE GOSPEL OF JOHN AND GIVES US APPLICATIONS FOR OUR DAILY LIVES AND ANSWERS TO SOME OF LIFE'S TOUGHEST QUESTIONS.
Elizabeth
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful!
Sue
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What a challenge! And what else is there in the middle of the whys but to trust Jesus?
Karen
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good devotional for those struggling (especially during this pandemic) to see God at work in their lives.
Crystal
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I understand that a turkey and an eagle react differently to the threat of the storm. A turkey reacts by running under the barn, hoping the storm won't come near.
On the other hand, an eagle leaves the security of its nest and spreads its wings to ride the air currents of the approaching storm, knowing they will carry it higher in the sky than it could sour on its own.
Based on your reaction to the storms of life, which are you?
A turkey or an eagle?

I recently read this and it wasn't quite what I
Jennifer Tse
Jun 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
Anne did a great job in explaining how we can trust God even when we don't know why. We can't always understand why bad things happen, but we can trust in God's grander plan and goodness. This is a very short book, but fill with wisdom and personal experience about how God is working despite our hardest struggles and pains. She uses the story of Lazarus' death in the gospel of John, explaining why Jesus waited 4 days to come and his comfort for his children.

Favorite Quote:
"God answers prayer, b
Shiloh Peacemaker
August 1, 2013

I bought this book about a month or so ago. I bought it because it might help me deal with my issue with my faith. There is a lot of things that I don't understand right now. When I bought it, the person said "It is a very good book and a very good author." I told the person that this book might be what I need to "find" my stable faith again. I don't know.

I still haven't started it, as I had it beside my bed, and this morning I found it underneath one of my large feather pillows. I
Michael
Each chapter starts with a question(why God is silent? Does He care?) The author then use the chapter to talk about painful trials that she, or others, had witnessed or have been though. The reader will continue reading the chapter to get to the answer, but unfortunately will find it hard to find in between the stories. she will "put" the answer near the end of the chapter without much convincing for us. The answers will be those that you heard before ( He is testing our faith, Yes, He does care ...more
Vicki G
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
It isn't helping, unless being angry is the goal she was intending for people. I don't think it was though. So far, the only thing I have is desire to do the things I'm supposed to do. But between desire and doing it lies a gigantic shadow that prevents me from doing it.
A poet once said "between the idea and the reality lies the shadow." I took it to mean the connection between some things is broken.
Anyway I feel like the connection between faith and love is broken in me.
Karendenice
Aug 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trish G
Recommended to Karendenice by: I found it at the bookstore while browsing.
I was truly inspired, motivated and I hope changed by this book. I never even thought of the way she interpreted this part of the Bible. It gave me a sense of calmness and hopefulness. It is the story of Mary, Martha and Lazarus.
Clara Roberts
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book calls on us to trust God's heart, purpose, goodness,when my heart is broken,and beyond the grave. We are to trust God to know best, to keep his word, to be on time, to be enough. We are to trust God alone. This book is written for believers.
Maria
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For those who have suffered and ever asked "Why?" then this book is a must read. It lets you know you are normal and that even in the bible those with great faith asked the same question. It guides you to scriptures that once again renew your hope and challenge you to let Gods will be done.
Doug
Jun 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
This is a short book which is intended to encourage. I believe women are more likely to appreciate this book than men. Lotz uses the story of Lazarus' resurrection as a framework, weaving in other stories and commentary. It is generally well written.
Emily Barry
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though the book is short this book will take you time to read it. It makes you reflect on are you trusting God in the hard times and that it is ok not to understand or to wonder why but in the end we must trust His plan.
Karen
Dec 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great small book you can read quickly. I highly recommend it!
Carol
Apr 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only takes a few hours to read this short, sweet book about the story of Lazarus, applied to our question of, why? Loved it.
Linda
May 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Short but very helpful when you are struggling with why bad things happen to you.
Denise
SUMC Ladies Book Club (UMW Reading Program List) selection for October.

• Hearts of Fire: Eight Women in the Underground Church and Their Stories of Costly Faith
  • Undaunted: Daring to do what God calls you to do
  • Boy from Nowhere: A Life in Ninety-One Countries
  • The Oracle: The Jubilean Mysteries Unveiled
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • The Ambition
  • Crystal Clear: The Inspiring Story of How an Olympic Athlete Lost His Legs Due to Crystal Meth and Found a Better Life
  • Love in a Headscarf
  • All of Me
  • Anyone But Me: 10 Ways to Overcome Your Fear and Be Prepared to Share the Gospel
  • True Strength: My Journey from Hercules to Mere Mortal and How Nearly Dying Saved My Life
  • Out of the Depths: An Unforgettable WWII Story of Survival, Courage, and the Sinking of the USS Indianapolis
  • 3 Hour Tour (Dee Sanders #1)
Lotz is the child of Billy Graham & Ruth Bell Graham

Anne Graham Lotz (born May 1948) is an American Christian evangelist. She is the second daughter of evangelist Billy Graham and his wife Ruth Graham. Anne Graham Lotz accepts speaking invitations worldwide, is founder of AnGeL Ministries, and an award-winning author.

News & Interviews